• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metroid Prime Corruption screens (retro am gods)

jjasper said:
These look great. Still pissed it comes out the day I go back to school but whatever nothing big happens at school the first week anyway, right?

Its between 1 and 2.

Really? Argh so i've been wrong all this time. :(

jjasper

Alkaliine said:
Really? Argh so i've been wrong all this time. :(

:lol yeah sorry. But if you think about it, it would be impossible for it to take place between 2 and 3 as they occur without any dead time between them.

jjasper said:
:lol yeah sorry. But if you think about it, it would be impossible for it to take place between 2 and 3 as they occur without any dead time between them.

Oh I'm an idiot. Plus i just realised that there's heaps of Metroids in Prime, and if it took place after 2 then there should only be 1 Metroid (the hatchling). Bah.

MaddenNFL64

119828-11-2.jpg

Elite Beat Pirates.

rezuth

Firestreak said:
I thought graphics weren't supposed to matter to Nintendo fans? =p
I'm actually giving a statement on this.

Art style is the most importnat aspect of a game, that said it does not automaticly mean having the most realistic boob physics or the most detailed violence.

I'm not too hot on the screens, strangely... I'm just tired of seeing the same environments with every new batch of shots. I'm worried about this game's overall art direction and atmosphere. :(

Sypher

Banned
I want to like this game, but im afraid the controls will make me hate it. For me atleast, I havent had any fun with FPS controls on the Wii.

Mar

Seriously. What's the deal with every new game coming out with a blur filter effect. I think it looks horrible. Anyone else feeling this way or am I alone... Again.

Sypher

Banned
Mar_ said:
Seriously. What's the deal with every new game coming out with a blur filter effect. I think it looks horrible. Anyone else feeling this way or am I alone... Again.

Brown, Bloom and Blur.

Say hello to your next gen overlords.

Vagabundo

Mar_ said:

You live in that deserted hotel in the mountains, you are alone...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It looks great, but as someone noted, very much like the GC games. I suppose the largest improvement is the addition of 16:9 (something the previous games really needed).

I hope you can once again disable the HUD...

Magicpaint said:
I'm not too hot on the screens, strangely... I'm just tired of seeing the same environments with every new batch of shots. I'm worried about this game's overall art direction and atmosphere. :(

119828-7-2.jpg

That alone is signiicant - a desolate, orginal environment. Great stuff.

90% of these shots come from the first areas of the game. We've already seen a snowy ruins world, as well as a desert/lava world that looks very original. Nothing to worry about.

dark10x

Alkaliine said:
119828-7-2.jpg

That alone is signiicant - a desolate, orginal environment. Great stuff.

90% of these shots come from the first areas of the game. We've already seen a snowy ruins world, as well as a desert/lava world that looks very original. Nothing to worry about.
I like that shot, but I'm hoping the background looks better in motion. Prime 2 used a lot of low resolution, flat bitmapped skyboxes in similar open areas and it looked terrible. Prime 1 was completely land locked so you never really had the chance to look out over the skybox.

It doesn't look too bad in that shot, but we'll see how it feels while playing.

dark10x said:
I like that shot, but I'm hoping the background looks better in motion. Prime 2 used a lot of low resolution, flat bitmapped skyboxes in similar open areas and it looked terrible. Prime 1 was completely land locked so you never really had the chance to look out over the skybox.

It doesn't look too bad in that shot, but we'll see how it feels while playing.

That's one thing that should be improved by the Wii's extra power. Whereas Echoes had painiting like backgrounds that didn't look so hot, with Wii they should be actual backgrounds and as a result much more appealing.

dark10x

Alkaliine said:
That's one thing that should be improved by the Wii's extra power. Whereas Echoes had painiting like backgrounds that didn't look so hot, with Wii they should be actual backgrounds and as a result much more appealing.
In that shot, at least, they are clearly using a flat, textured skybox (just like Prime 2). A "painting", if you will.

It's not really a question of power, however. It's about design. A great example of how to handle such things can be found in Halo (1 and 2). Remember that incredible vista when you first land on Halo in the original game? They used very simplistic background models to great effect. The result really improved the sense of scale and made it seem as if you truly were standing atop a large cliffside. I'm sure Retro could have done the same with Prime 2 and they should do so with Prime 3.

MaddenNFL64

Here's a quote from Play's interview (found in this thread).

Play: Is there anything you were unable to execute on the GameCube in Prime 1 and 2 that has now become possible?

MP: Something on the design side that was important to us was being able to make larger environments that have more things going on. We try to tell the story through the way the player travels through the game, and having these larger environments where the player can see farther and see things interacting with each other is something we couldn’t have done on GameCube. Metroid Prime is a traversal sort of game, so the environments have to be very interesting and very different to keep the players interested in walking around. So now we’re able to make these huge, expansive environments and have more things going on on-screen at the same time.

MaddenNFL64 said:
Here's a quote from Play's interview (found in this thread).

Play: Is there anything you were unable to execute on the GameCube in Prime 1 and 2 that has now become possible?

MP: Something on the design side that was important to us was being able to make larger environments that have more things going on. We try to tell the story through the way the player travels through the game, and having these larger environments where the player can see farther and see things interacting with each other is something we couldn’t have done on GameCube. Metroid Prime is a traversal sort of game, so the environments have to be very interesting and very different to keep the players interested in walking around. So now we’re able to make these huge, expansive environments and have more things going on on-screen at the same time.

I'm hoping for some Federation vs. Space Pirate battles.

dark10x

Death_Born said:
I'm hoping for some Federation vs. Space Pirate battles.
Hopefully not.

Seriously, my primary concern with the game itself is the inclusion of too much stuff. That opening level seemed to have more in common with Halo than Metroid. I would like to see dialog and character interaction kept to an absolute minimum.

I mean, Metroid was always about exploring isolated planets by oneself and getting lost in the atmosphere.

Go play old Metroid-games if you dont like such awsome events.
How exactly do replaying older games make up for lack of a new one?

If you want those events, stick to Halo.

jjasper

dark10x said:
Hopefully not.

Seriously, my primary concern with the game itself is the inclusion of too much stuff. That opening level seemed to have more in common with Halo than Metroid. I would like to see dialog and character interaction kept to an absolute minimum.

I mean, Metroid was always about exploring isolated planets by oneself and getting lost in the atmosphere.

Exactly, the only way I would be cool with it is if it was in the opening cutscene and the space priates killed everyone leaving me alone.

Jacobi

Banned
MasterMFauli said:
Fixed.

Go play old Metroid-games if you dont like such awsome events.
you're always like "uuuuuh metroid is no fps IT'S AN FPA" yet you want it to be halo :lol :lol :lol

dark10x said:

I want more insight into the universe of Metroid. Federal Space Troopers vs. Space Pirates would be a natural fit, as they ARE enemies. And it´s ridiculous to argue against 1 or 2 short scenes, where you´re inmidst of 2 groups fighting each other. That´s what you call variety.

And im sure MP3 will have enough of these "alone"-scenes, you know.

You could have a point. After all, the troopers' technology is garbage compared to Samus's suit. They wouldn't even stand a chance against the Pirates.

Branduil

The Black Brad Pitt said:
Well we know that you cant circle strafe.
Yes you can. But most of the time it would be dumb to do it without lock-on anyway. I'm not sure why you'd even want that in a Metroid game.

SantaC

dark10x said:
Hopefully not.

well said dark10x. I dont like the idea of Metroid becoming too much like other fps games...

Ark-AMN

Banned
jjasper said:
God please no.
Sorry, the whole first level is pretty much Space Pirates vs. Federation as one could see in the video demos of it (pirate drop ships attacking federation cruiser)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
MasterMFauli said:
I want more insight into the universe of Metroid. Federal Space Troopers vs. Space Pirates would be a natural fit, as they ARE enemies. And it´s ridiculous to argue against 1 or 2 short scenes, where you´re inmidst of 2 groups fighting each other. That´s what you call variety.

And im sure MP3 will have enough of these "alone"-scenes, you know.

Yea, I 2nd this notion.
This isn't even the first time this conversation has happend, either

jjasper

beelzebozo said:
i like mecha-ridley and everything, but i kind of miss organic ridley :(

I do too. It would be neat if they could connect the original series with the prime one by including the original baddies like Kraid, non-mecha Ridley, and Mother Brain. Possibly show the pirates using the phazon to revive them in order to explain how they were back from the dead in Super.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
jjasper said:
I do too. It would be neat if they could connect the original series with the prime one by including the original baddies like Kraid, non-mecha Ridley, and Mother Brain. Possibly show the pirates using the phazon to revive them in order to explain how they were back from the dead in Super.

it'd be totally rad to fight kraid and mother brain again. i will say, though, they've done a good job in the past two games of creating some really memorable boss designs. i wouldn't say that it would make sense for more environmentally-connected bosses like flaahgra or thardus to return in future games, but the omega pirate would make total sense. history has shown that any boss notorious for being a pain in the ass usually doesn't just get left on the table in future iterations of the series--see bald bull from punch out, ridley from the original metroid, et al.

i do think they've mishandled the dark samus just a bit. it's a shame, because i think the way it's handled in metroid fusion is much better:
spending most of the game running from sa-x really makes it seem almost like nemesis from resident evil 3. it's intimidating. dark samus in prime 2, while having some cool moves, always seemed grossly underpowered to make that last confrontation really interesting.

jjasper said:
I think ZM showed that they built skeletons for Ridley in case he died.

Probably, by the time SM rolled around, they found a way to bring him back in the flesh.

CaVaYeRo

sypher said:
I want to like this game, but im afraid the controls will make me hate it. For me atleast, I havent had any fun with FPS controls on the Wii.

I've had

with MP3, indeed

jjasper

I will agree that a lot of the bosses from the prime series have been awesome

If they somehow managed to included the revived Ridley and Kraid (through those skeletons) if at the end you are attacked by both at once that my friend would be the most awesome boss fight off all time. Also by doing that could lead up to 2 by showing Samus escaping and heading to SR388 to get there before the Pirates do.

Top Bottom