• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New MGS4 EDGE details

Yoboman

SMZC said:
I'm pissed too at the fact that we've probably heard the credits music by now, but I really can't think of a more appropriate song for the (supposedly) depressing finale. It's perfect!
Not really. We didn't hear either MGS2 or 3's credit music before they released. He'll have a hard time topping Way to Fall for me though

Yoboman

Anyone post the CVG preview? They get into spoilers I think, I tried to read around the details of the first act, but there's some nice quotes

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=186445

"What we can tell you is that we've finished MGS4, what Kojima really thinks about it (including rare insight from a 1am bar chat) and why it might just be the most important next-gen game to date."

"In fact, the polarities are stretched: it's less fiddly and deeper - the series' most-refined mechanics yet: with a more direct, gung-ho, feel for newcomers; and incredible emergent AI, stealth possibilities and multi-route playgrounds for veterans."

"Set-pieces...which are even better than the ending of MGS3 Snake Eater "

"Your first play through will only yield a fraction of the game's true potential, and it's possible to complete it while completely ignoring many of the game's incredible features."

"One chaotic real-time scene caused us to scrawl 'THIS IS NEXT-GEN!!!' on our notepad, for no reason than we had to tell someone."

"When you retry the opening section alone - skills honed after completing the game -you realise the incredible depth, and emergent AI, in every scene. For example,
when we were first attacked by the Gekkos in the tutorial, we ran in blind panic. Second time out, we ducked into cover, and hid - marvelling as the Gekkos engaged in real-time combat with the militia, exhibiting vicious AI.
" (describes the scene from the Assassin trailer)

SMZC

Yoboman said:
"In fact, the polarities are stretched: it's less fiddly and deeper - the series' most-refined mechanics yet: with a more direct, gung-ho, feel for newcomers; and incredible emergent AI, stealth possibilities and multi-route playgrounds for veterans."

Fuck yes.

I've always said this: The AI is the one thing that can either turn MGS4 into the greatest game ever made, or just another good game. So far, every comment about it seems very positive, including that preview that mentioned that every battle's outcome depends on the AI. That's frigging impressive, if true.

Yoboman

I really hope it's like that. It'd be awesome if you could walk into a fight where the militia are being slaughtered, you throw out a chaff grenade to disable the Gekkos momentarily, and that alone completely changes tide of the battle

Yoboman said:
Anyone post the CVG preview? They get into spoilers I think, I tried to read around the details of the first act, but there's some nice quotes

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=186445

"What we can tell you is that we've finished MGS4, what Kojima really thinks about it (including rare insight from a 1am bar chat) and why it might just be the most important next-gen game to date."

"Set-pieces...which are even better than the ending of MGS3 Snake Eater "

"Your first play through will only yield a fraction of the game's true potential, and it's possible to complete it while completely ignoring many of the game's incredible features."

"One chaotic real-time scene caused us to scrawl 'THIS IS NEXT-GEN!!!' on our notepad, for no reason than we had to tell someone."

"When you retry the opening section alone - skills honed after completing the game -you realise the incredible depth, and emergent AI, in every scene. For example,
when we were first attacked by the Gekkos in the tutorial, we ran in blind panic. Second time out, we ducked into cover, and hid - marvelling as the Gekkos engaged in real-time combat with the militia, exhibiting vicious AI.
" (describes the scene from the Assassin trailer)

This game is going to melt my mind.

Ploid 3.0

Many people talk about stealth, weapons, and story when they describe MGS. I want to see all the traps and surprises in MGS4 (when I get the game of course). All MGS games had traps, breakaway floors, and such. I bet MGS4 is going to do some good stuff with it. Swinging trees with spikes on it will look like a joke I hope. Love me some booby traps, and I don't mean the girly magazines although that funny if snake is now trapped by them.

SMZC

Yoboman said:
I really hope it's like that. It'd be awesome if you could walk into a fight where the militia are being slaughtered, you throw out a chaff grenade to disable the Gekkos momentarily, and that alone completely changes tide of the battle

Halo-like AI + MGS' gameplay possibilities = Instant win

diunxx

guys I'm in a media blackout for the game and haven't read any preview or the 5 mgs4 threads that are created by day but I want to know if it has been confirmed that the full mgs theme will be in the game?

Pachimari

.. and here's me who has to wait to come back from vacation in asia, so I'll have the chance to play Guns of the Patriots at July 29th =(

szhred

Thinking of buying MGS4 with a PS3, even this game hits the shelves. Will be a so good, perfect and amazing game experience. :D

Yoboman

diunxx said:
guys I'm in a media blackout for the game and haven't read any preview or the 5 mgs4 threads that are created by day but I want to know if it has been confirmed that the full mgs theme will be in the game?
No. Not yet at least

Yoboman

Metal Gear Solid 4 is a huge game, but most previews have only scratched the surface. GamePro senior editor Sid Shuman has played the game: here are 25 gameplay features that surprised and delighted him.

A socially relevant storyline: Private military companies (or "PMCs") are a key threat in Metal Gear Solid 4 because they've escalated combat into a never-ending war economy. But in a case of truth being stranger than fiction, PMCs are a serious concern in modern-day Iraq. Ever heard of Blackwater? I was pleasantly surprised to see how MGS4 tackles these tough topics in a mature, yet entertaining, manner.

Upgraded graphics: Metal Gear Solid 4 gives the series its biggest visual update yet, and it's no exaggeration to say that it's easily one of the prettiest games ever made.. New-generation graphical techniques like HDR (for realistic lighting), antialiasing (for sharper visuals), and post-production filters (for color saturation effects) make Metal Gear Solid 4 an example of bleeding-edge game production. High-resolution character models add even more detail, allowing you to see skin grain and armor scratches when viewing Snake up close.

Crystal-clear sound:: Thanks to Skywalker Sound's state-of-the-art audio mastering, MGS4 has some of the crispest, clearest sound effects I've ever heard -- the booming gunshots will make your hair stand on end! The Hollywood-style soundtrack, a series hallmark, is also predictably fantastic, and Snake's raspy voice sounds more desiccated than ever. This is one game you'll want to play with headphones, or a high-end speaker setup.

The oil barrel: In addition to his trusty cardboard box, Snake can now equip an oil barrel from his inventory. It works much like the cardboard box, providing a handy hiding spot for industrial areas where a cardboard box might arouse suspicious. But the oil barrel doubles as a weapon, enabling Snake to roll over nearby enemies and send bodies flying. A handy, if overlooked, new item.

A mature new style: Prior games in the Metal Gear series have drawn equal inspiration from anime and Bruckheimer-style cinema, featuring cartoonish villains and offbeat humor. But Metal Gear Solid 4 is a different beast, drawing its look and feel from gritty films like Children of Men and games like Gears of War. That's not to say that humor is AWOL in MGS4, only that it's used more sparingly. The overall style of the game is somber, but not nihilistic.

The Outer Haven soldiers: This all-female outfit of advanced soldiers serve as Liquid's elite soldiers. Exceptionally agile and well-equipped, the "frogs" fire punishing P90 SMGs. Worse, they're equipped with long talons on their feet and hands, which enable them to cling to ceilings and walls, or bound from wall to wall. They first appear in the latter half of the Middle Eastern level during a climactic gunfight in a run-down hotel.

Blu-ray disc storage: Metal Gear Solid 4 is one of the first games to truly give the PlayStation 3's Blu-ray drive a serious workout. Using a dual layer 50GB Blu-ray disc, Metal Gear Solid 4 is easily one of the most data-intensive games ever released on any format. That translates into more game content, better-quality audio, and cleaner HD video. And to think: Kojima said that 50GB Blu-ray discs aren't big enough...

The Solid Eye: Part radar, part vision enhancer, the Solid Eye is a hugely helpful addition to Snake's inventory. When you equip it, you'll gain a radar view to help spot nearby enemies. Perhaps more important is that nearby items and humans will be highlighted for easy identification. You can also switch to optional night vision and binocular modes, though these will quickly drain your batteries. When I played, I found myself sticking to the default "radar" view most of the time.

Aiming down the sight: Though both MGS2 and MGS3 featured a first-person aiming mode, these were fairly clunky and inaccurate. MGS4, however, adopts a more traditional "aim down the sight" mechanic popularized by games like Call of Duty 4. If you tap Triangle while aiming, you'll switch to a fully mobile first-person perspective where you can move and shoot as in Halo or Call of Duty. If you crouch or lie down while aiming down the sight, your shots will be almost perfectly precise. This gameplay element felt particularly polished during my play session, and I found myself frequently dropping into "FPS mode." Of course, it's purely optional.

Returning characters from MGS1: It's well known that a whole host of classic MGS1 characters return for an encore in MGS4: Colonel Campbell, Otacon, Naomi Hunter, and Meryl Silverburgh were unveiled in various trailers and have fans drooling already. Then there's Liquid Ocelot, a fusion of Liquid Snake's and Revolver Ocelot's personalities. MGS1 is widely regarded as having the best cast in the entire Metal Gear series, and with so many alumni returning for MGS4, you could almost call MGS4 the first "true" sequel to MGS1.

Real online multiplayer: Well, sort of. The Metal Gear series is going online with Metal Gear Online, a new standalone online game that will emphasize team-based battles. From what I saw, I expect that Metal Gear Solid 4 will include a trial version of Metal Gear Online. How many levels and modes will be included in the trial? I have no idea, but some is definitely better than none.

The Metal Gear Mk. II: Meet the newest Metal Gear...an adorable, puppy dog-like bot! An early gift from Otacon, the Mk. II is a handy tool in the initial sections of MGS4. When activated, you switch to controlling the Mk. II as it wheels through corridors. With its integrated invisibility cloak, you can send it out ahead of you as a recon bot. It also packs an electric whip that's handy for stunning nearby guards on the sly. The Mk. II also serves as the courier between you and Drebin when you buy or sell guns.

Octo-camo: Metal Gear Solid 3 was a great game, but its clunky camouflage system made you delve into menu screens every time the landscape changed. Not so in MGS4: your color-changing armor will automatically shift to match your surroundings, aiding your stealth efforts. You can also restore the armor's default hues at any time by gently shaking the controller....it's a bit like an Etch-a-Sketch. I found the octo-camo to be one of the best features in MGS4 -- it makes the stealth scenarios faster and easier.

Old Snake: Snake's weathered appearance gave me some doubts at first. Who wants to take the role of a mustached fuddy-duddy, anyway? But as I played the game, I found that Old Snake is an extremely interesting character. He's no longer an invincible, larger-than-life superhero. Instead, he shows vulnerability, uncertainty, and mortality, rare qualities for any action game star. By focusing on the human element, Kojima Productions has made one of the boldest choices in game design I've seen in years. It's very, very refreshing.

Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection: Okay, technically this isn't "part" of Metal Gear Solid 4, but it's still completely relevant. Many of the themes, characters, and plot threads outlined in the first three games re-appear in Metal Gear Solid 4, but with new depth and meaning. If you're jonesing to play MGS4, I'd recommend that you re-visit these classics in the precious time remaining before June 12th. These games will gain new relevance when you finally play MGS4.

DualShock 3 support: Rumble is back! The Metal Gear series and rumble technology have a long history; Metal Gear Solid was one of the first games to use the original DualShock's rumble function, and we hailed its implementation as groundbreaking. MGS4 is fully compatible with the rumble-capable DualShock 3 controller, and though the DualShock 3 isn't required, I felt more immersed in the game with the effects on. Cinemas, too, are made richer through rumble effects for explosions, shocking moments, and the like.

The Geckos: These gargantuan enemies are new to Metal Gear, and they are fierce foes that are equipped with powerful weapons and sensors. In fact, these bioengineered killing machines are so tough that they're practically indestructible -- your best bet is to simply run and hide! Explosive weapons will inflict some damage, but generally, these behemoths are too tough to tackle directly.

Epic boss fights: If you're a Metal Gear fan, then you already know to expect some seriously epic boss encounters in MGS4. Kojima Productions has been surprisingly liberal in revealing secrets through game trailers. For instance, this video shows Liquid Ocelot and Snake facing off in a pair of Metal Gear mechs. Then there's the Beauty & the Beast unit, a collection of killer androids who were introduced as the "bosses" of MGS4. But we'll talk more about them shortly...

Storyline closure: It's all been leading up to this! Though the individual plot lines of the three previous games all had some form of closure, Solid Snake's tale has remained elusive...and unfinished. Luckily, Metal Gear Solid 4 promises to tie up many of those loose threads and shed new light on Snake himself. Will he find peace? Will he simply kill himself, as hinted at in the first trailer? I won't spoil any secrets here, but I suspect players will be pleased by the ambition and honesty of the story.

Weapon mods: One of MGS4's most addictive new features is the ability to customize your weapons. Most weapons will accept basic silencers, but others will accept recoil-control grips (these improve accuracy), flashlights (which briefly blind enemies), laser sights (improved hip-firing accuracy), and rifle scopes. The stock M4, a Swiss Army knife of a weapon, also accepts an under-barrel grenade launcher or under-barrel shotgun. You fire these powerful sub-weapons by aiming (hold L1) and then tapping R2 to unload. Even later in the game I found myself gravitating back to the modded M4 carbine -- it's a versatile weapon.

The crouch-run: In prior games, Snake only had two movement options: he could a) run or b) crawl on his belly. Metal Gear Solid 4 helpfully adds an in-between option I'm calling the "crouch run." By running in this low-profile position, Snake can move at a brisk pace without totally blowing his cover. To crouch run, simply tap X to crouch and then start moving. I played much of the game while in a half-crouch, and found it helped immensely.

New stealth moves: In MGS4, Snake has several new maneuvers that make sneaking easier. The first is the "inchworm," where Snake plays dead and slowly crawls across the ground. The second is the roll, which enables Snake to flip unto his back if he needs to shoot enemies or hurl grenades. The third is a revamped "wall press" that enables Snake to smoothly peek around corners and take potshots at nearby enemies. I also liked how Snake can hang over a ledge to wait for enemies to pass underneath, them swoop down for the coup de grace.

Collectible weapons: With over 70 weapons in all, gun collectors will find much to celebrate in Metal Gear Solid 4. Many of the guns we've seen are based on real-life weaponry, including the P90 submachinegun carried by the Outer Haven troops, and the M4 carbine that Snake finds early in the game. Once you meet Drebin, a black-market gun launderer, you can "unlock" new weapons you find by paying a small fee in "Drebin Points." You will also automatically cash in any duplicate weapons you find for Drebin Points. I found myself darting out of cover simply to scoop up nearby weapons. Weapon collecting is clearly one of the game's most addictive features.

Simpler controls:
If you enjoy games like Gears of War, Call of Duty 4, or Rainbow Six, you'll instantly take to the new control scheme in Metal Gear Solid 4. As in those games, you aim and fire weapons with the shoulder buttons. This may sound like standard stuff, but the MGS games have typically used old-school controls that have confused some gamers. Not this time. Though I knew about these control changes before I played the game, I was surprised how much I liked them: they felt sleek, simple, and utterly natural.

The Beauty & the Beast unit: First introduced last fall, the Beauty & the Beast unit is a group of four metal monstrosities who represent Liquid Ocelot's most trusted lieutenants and, obviously, key obstacles for Snake. These including Laughing Octopus, a master of disguise equipped with Doctor Octopus-style tentacles; Crying Wolf, an armored quadruped with enormous strength; Raging Raven, an airborne killing machine equipped with multiple rocket launchers; and Screaming Mantis, a mysterious figure who appears to control the actions of her squadmates.
Of all the features in MGS4, the Beauty & the Beast unit is one of the most ambitious. According to Metal Gear lore, the Beauties are women who experienced the horrors of war and retreated into violent cybernetic shells. Now they're working for Liquid Ocelot, and their twisted minds and armored hides make them extremely dangerous foes. What's more, the animal names of the Beauties reference bosses from MGS1. A coincidence? We think not.

http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps3/games/features/175468.shtml

Pachimari

It seems like the sixteen journalists will be allowed to talk about the bosses soon. I must stay away from the whole Internet, arghh.. and I have to wait for July 29 to play Guns of the Patrtiots =(

Anastacio said:
It seems like the sixteen journalists will be allowed to talk about the bosses soon. I must stay away from the whole Internet, arghh.. and I have to wait for July 29 to play Guns of the Patrtiots =(

I probably have to wait to christmas!!

This is for Japan.

KONAMI has obtained the cooperation of Warner Home Video (WHV) to feature a premium video of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (hereinafter MGS4) (PlayStation®3), which will be released on June 12th, in the special viewing disc of the rental DVD for I Am Legend.

Giving fans of the Metal Gear series(*) a first-hand glance at MGS4 footage, the disc will include a video introducing the history of the Metal Gear and is also created in such a way that even users who are new to Metal Gear can get an idea of why the series is so popular.

Many fans of the Metal Gear series use their PlayStations to view movies, and because I Am Legend is the first title for which large-scale rentals on blu-ray discs will be made possible, the same special viewing disc (DVD specifications) was also created without delay as a special benefit for rental blu-ray discs.

# METAL GEAR SOLID 4 TRAILER
A premium video newly edited for the special viewing disc of the rental DVD for I Am Legend.
# What is the METAL GEAR?
Introduction of the main titles of the Metal Gear series, ranging from METAL GEAR, the first installment of the series released in 1987, to MGS4, the latest in the series.
# Prologue of MGS4
A prologue video of MGS4 introducing the story of the Metal Gear series from past to MGS4 and its view of the world.

http://www.konami.jp/topics/2008/0410/index-e.html

zoukka

My stomach fell in a good way after reading that... unbelievable.

And I'm starting to believe in the AI after Edge said it was good. Kojima is always the one who really makes a Playstation machine worth it's price. And shows competitors what's "NEXT-GEN".

Yoboman said:
...Why I Am Legend? And why Warner?

You'd think maybe in a Sony movie, but that's just odd IMO

I'm guessing I Am Legend was really big in Japan so it'd give them the biggest potential to reach a lot of homes.

There will be one hell of a big bang of a final to the game. Not a whimper. This will blow you away.

I'm not sure what version of the feature you read, but that's not what it says at all. That's describing the game as a conclusion to the series, not the conclusion of the game itself. And as for that last bit, it's not even in the text. Are you asking for disappointment?

Yoboman

TheOctagon said:
I'm not sure what version of the feature you read, but that's not what it says at all. That's describing the game as a conclusion to the series, not the conclusion of the game itself. And as for that last bit, it's not even in the text. Are you asking for disappointment?
Fantastically bad bump, thanks for nothing

AmMortal

Banned
Crystal-clear sound:: Thanks to Skywalker Sound's state-of-the-art audio mastering, MGS4 has some of the crispest, clearest sound effects I've ever heard -- the booming gunshots will make your hair stand on end! The Hollywood-style soundtrack, a series hallmark, is also predictably fantastic, and Snake's raspy voice sounds more desiccated than ever. This is one game you'll want to play with headphones, or a high-end speaker setup.
Me =Prepared

my testicles is still going strong !!!!!!!!!

If a Woman would enter this flat now she would just get pregnant just by breathing the air in here!

aaaaaaaaah this is driving me crazy, I want to play this game so bad!

Top Bottom