• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New MGS4 EDGE details

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yoboman said:
Indeed it did. Much like MGS4 they "sacrificed" higher res textures to get the other elements looking so good. The textures in both games have a large texture variety too, they just don't scale well close up

Another game that also opted for this method was Killzone 2 (last we saw at least)
I recall reading that the textures will actually higher than video indicated. Either way this was from footage we first seen almost a year ago. I'm sure there is much more to see that will be telling about KZ2. E3 or maybe a Gamer's Day might shed some light.

Pure speculation on my part, but maybe at the end of the game
Snake dies and at the end of the credits we see a baby that belongs to Snake. Perhaps a clone and could possibly be the main character for MGS5?

antiloop

Visualante said:
Here's the preceding sentence for balance.

I can't wait to see this horrible aliasing issue they are talking about.

I haven't noticed anything too bad in screens or trailers. But people are saying the trailers lack in color/texture detail too compared with the game on an HDTV, so it will be interesting.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Pure speculation on my part, but maybe at the end of the game
Snake dies and at the end of the credits we see a baby that belongs to Snake. Perhaps a clone and could possibly be the main character for MGS5?

My guess is that Snake will lose an arm which will then be given to raiden. Thus becoming Raiden Snake

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Anastacio said:
There's nothing in the EGM Live 04/07/08 or 1UP Yours 04/04/08 =/ (edit: oh, I think it's in the 1up yours)
It was 1up yours man 4/4 with the special guest.

J-Rzez

Productions values transcend modern video games: A Hollywood grade surround sound and moving track score by Harry Gregson Williams. Electrifying cut scenes and a sense of closure "more suited to Return of the King than Halo 3"

Get your HD audio rigs fired up, this game alone will justify the purchase of one. One of the true advantages of the PS3 with it's Blu-Ray media drive is the incredible audio you can throw at it. If you can't hear the improvements lossless brings, you're either deaf, or poor. Then again, some people can't tell the difference between SDTV and HDTV :lol

This is probably going to be the only game where I see people say "Game of the Forever", and actually agree.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Choke on the Magic said:
Kojima never tells the truth. I guarantee 90% will pop in the game and say WTF in the first ten minutes. I'm mostly interested in what
the deal with Raiden is, the truth behind the one trailer with young Snake, and the truth behind Big Boss's creation of Outer Heaven. I don't think he turned on the world, I believe it was another ruse of the Patriots.
*breathes*

See, that's what I'm saying. You never know with MGS! And with Raiden as a cyborg,
pretty much everyone is expecting him to die
. I also agree about Big Boss.
I don't think he was the villain that we were lead to believe, there's more to his story!

Uh you're banned! :lol what did you do?

AmMortal

Banned
Man, I have never seen any love for MGS4 on any other site like its here on GAF.

The thing is, its not just mindless, its very thoughtful.
The series is liked here, after careful analysis, a lot of logic is put behind everything related to the game.

Doc Evils

Warrior300 said:
Man, I have never seen any love for MGS4 on any other site like GAF.

The thing is, its not just mindless, its very thoughtful.
The series is liked here, after careful analysis, a lot of logic is put behind everything related to the game.

That's because unlike other games those 16 year olds play, MGS requires that you have a brain and appreciate the mind bending plot.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Choke on the Magic said:
the deal with Raiden

Raiden was
one of the Next Generation Special Forces from MGS hence his body is falling apart/fell apart due to it not adapting to Big Boss' genes.

And before anyone says anything, it's in MGS2.
Raiden mentions he was part of the Force XXI trials, something that the Next Generation Special Forces were part of. I put 2+2 together.

dralla

best preview yet, no mentioned of 60FPS though, so far IGN is the only place that said that, so I'm assuming it's BS

nib95

Banned
dralla said:
best preview yet, no mentioned of 60FPS though, so far IGN is the only place that said that, so I'm assuming it's BS

The game has always run at 60fps thus far. What makes you think it will suddenly take a drop to 30fps?

gonna have to buy a copy and PS3 to go along with it, for each room in my house :D

...also, didn't know about the two health bars...fucking awesome!

StuBurns

Banned
nib95 said:
The game has always run at 60fps thus far. What makes you think it will suddenly take a drop to 30fps?

Why would you think that? The demos showed at TGS, E4All and CES were all running at 30.

Socreges

Banned
The sneaking play of the originals with it's air ducts and cameras has now become a fast pace living battlefield of traps and innovations.
Seriously? I hope this is just poor wording on their part. Infiltrating bases is the best part of the series, easily. They can't take that away.

stuburns said:
Why would you think that? The demos showed at TGS, E4All and CES were all running at 30.

Are you sure? I know a guy on E-mpire said he talked to Ryan at E4All and he said it was 60fps although they didn't want to commit to it at that time because they didn't have the framerate locked down.

StuBurns

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Are you sure? I know a guy on E-mpire said he talked to Ryan at E4All and he said it was 60fps although they didn't want to commit to it at that time because they didn't have the framerate locked down.
Fairly sure yeah, all the video I've seen looks 30 for sure, and I read it in a couple of articles. I do remember a quote from Ryan saying they were aiming for 60, but I don't remember him saying the demo was.

Absolutely awesome cant believe Edge gave it such a amazing preview. Only took 4 days for someone to realize the damn Mario Kart Wii score was the least important thing in the mag.

Just out of curiosity how have prior MGS games scored in Edge?

stuburns said:
Fairly sure yeah, all the video I've seen looks 30 for sure, and I read it in a couple of articles. I do remember a quote from Ryan saying they were aiming for 60, but I don't remember him saying the demo was.

In IGN's Q&A with readers they confirmed it was 60fps didnt they?

Dever

Banned
The 1812 Overture started playing in my iTunes when I opened this thread. No shit.

Sounds so damn good, announce the bundle for EU already Sony!

stuburns said:

There's a big difference between internet videos and seeing it in person though.

StuBurns

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
In IGN's Q&A with readers they confirmed it was 60fps didnt they?
Yeah, but they are the only ones. I'm not saying it's not running at 60fps now, but it wasn't at those events, and it's not in the Assassin's Solid video either.

SolidSnakex said:
There's a big difference between internet videos and seeing it in person though.
Not really, you can tell a framerate from a video, watch a direct feed of MGS3 and MGS2, the difference is really clear. COD4 is another one that's good for comparison.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
BruceLeeRoy said:
Just out of curiosity how have prior MGS games scored in Edge?

People have posted them already in this thread.

But when in doubt:

Metal Gear Solid got 9
Integral got 6
Sons of Liberty got 8
Substance (on the Xbox) got 6
Snake Eater got 8
Twin Snakes got 7
Portable Ops got 7

From - http://www.edge-online.co.uk/edgedb/

StuBurns

Banned
industrian said:
People have posted them already in this thread.

But when in doubt:

Metal Gear Solid got 9
Integral got 6
Sons of Liberty got 8
Substance (on the Xbox) got 6
Snake Eater got 8
Twin Snakes got 7
Portable Ops got 7

From - http://www.edge-online.co.uk/edgedb/

They reviewed Integral? That's crazy, and the score is insane, if MGS1 is a 9 then MGSI has got to be at the very least a 9.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
As for when the event took place, frame rate was fluctuating between 60 and 30fps. With some extra slowdowns during busy, open space firefights like you can see in the "Assassin's Snake" video. As a frame rate whore, I was kinda disturbed, but not as much as with, say, Heavenly Sword. I reported about it in the feedback. Hopefully they will fix some of it. But even if they don't, it's pretty decent as it is (was) and most wont even notice.

StuBurns

Banned
TTP said:
As for when the event took place, frame rate was fluctuating between 60 and 30fps. With some extra slowdowns during busy, open space firefights like you can see in the "Assassin's Snake" video. As a frame rate whore, I was kinda disturbed, but not as much as with, say, Heavenly Sword. I reported about it in the feedback. Hopefully they will fix some of it. But even if they don't, it's pretty decent as it is (was) and most wont even notice.

Speaking of Heavenly Sword, did the game have any screen tear? That's my biggest pet peeve.

stuburns said:
Awesome, they have months to optimize the code, so a locked in 30fps at minimum with no screen tear has got to be likely.

There's no way they should go with a locked 30fps over 60fps with occasional dips. And that's assuming they can't get the 60fps framerate locked down.

Zophar

The new videos they had on the MGS Saga Vol. 2 DVD were all playing back at 60fps (or at least faked it). That gives me optimism for the full game.

SMZC

TTP said:

You're one of the 15 persons that have finished the game? If so, are you allowed to say whether the main theme is in it?

StuBurns

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
There's no way they should go with a locked 30fps over 60fps with occasional dips. And that's assuming they can't get the 60fps framerate locked down.

I think it depends on how many dips and how intense they are. If they can't get it close to solid 60 I think solid 30 is preferable for me, after all slow down can effect gameplay, and that's what you ultimately want to avoid.

SMZC

stuburns said:
I think it depends on how many dips and how intense they are. If they can't get it close to solid 60 I think solid 30 is preferable for me, after all slow down can effect gameplay, and that's what you ultimately want to avoid.

That reminds me that the cut-scenes were already confirmed to be running at 60 constant fps. If for some reason they make the actual game at solid 30, I wonder if the transition from cinematics to in-game will be too annoying.

I'd really hate to see them locking the cut-scenes at 30fps if they can't get the in-game at solid 60. Scenes like the Vamp vs Raiden fight are clearly meant to be seen at 60fps (in fact, watching the trailer at 30fps gives me the impression that we're missing a lot of stuff).

StuBurns

Banned
TTP said:
I'm not, sorry.
Do you mean you weren't one of the people or that you can't say:D
I'm joking, please don't post any spoilers, blacked out or not, I can't resist checking them.
You're a lucky guy.

The theme wasn't used in MPO because Kojima found out it was rip-off didn't he?
I can't imagine it not being in there though, and it is at the end of the MGO trailer.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
U K Narayan said:
Did we really need a new thread for this? It seems we get five Metal Gear Solid 4 threads a day.

fu7383.gif

This .gif rocks, needs to be used moarrrrrrrr

SMZC

stuburns said:
The theme wasn't used in MPO because Kojima found out it was rip-off didn't he?
I can't imagine it not being in there though, and it is at the end of the MGO trailer.

The main theme was used in PO's trailers, though. If the plagiarism issue was the reason why it didn't make it into the actual game, then we wouldn't have heard it in the trailers either.

Top Bottom