• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New MGS4 EDGE details

Yoboman

nelsonroyale said:
Raidan would be better for me.
He's overpowered, plus
I wouldn't be surprised if his fate was a tragic one, as the Ninja always goes in the MGS series

Wollan said:
Generous. That game almost turned me off PSP gaming. What a sluggish running, anal controlled title.
It was one of the lowest scores given I believe.

It was highly controlled, but it works well as a portable title with its mission based gameplay. Outside the main missions I did wish that we were given more freedom though.

Yoboman said:
Personally, I think she's far better character to start with than Meryl. She's kind of a blank slate.

Though a Meryl squad-based game could be particularly awesome

I think Meryl would fit better since she already has an edgy attitude that appeals to a lot of fans of the series. Sunny would be fine also though like I said before.

I really can't see Raiden taking over to be honst.

Wollan

OK.. well, I didn't really mean a 7 is undeserved for MGP but...

I'm a just agro in regards to overhyping that title. It requires a lot of from the player just to do easier tasks (bad framerate, not so good controls & camera) but ontop of that it's a deeper strategy game so what it requires from you is beyond what it gives imho. It's obviously a well designed game in most regards with high (for a pocket game) production values.

Yoboman

SolidSnakex said:
I think Meryl would fit better since she already has an edgy attitude that appeals to a lot of fans of the series. Sunny would be fine also though like I said before.

I really can't see Raiden taking over to be honst.
Meryl's got a short lease IMO. She's already 30'ish, she's only got a few games in her before a lot of people won't want to be playing her (call it sexist or not, it's true).

Yoboman said:
Meryl's got a short lease IMO. She's already 30'ish, she's only got a few games in her before a lot of people won't want to be playing her (call it sexist or not, it's true).

Well you've suggested Sunny and she's a girl also, so if they wouldn't want to play as Meryl then they wouldn't want to play as her either. And screw the sexist people, I think it'd be an interesting route for the series to take.

Meryl's connected to Snake which makes her appealing to people. People have been wanting her back since MGS.

StuBurns

Banned
Yoboman said:

That's why I think Ed is perfect for the new protagonist.

Meryl is female and that won't go down well for everyone, and she's too closely related to Snake. Jonathan is just too fat (sorry but he is). Raiden is basically dead, and too high profile. Sunny is annoying. Otacon is too geeky. And I can't really think of anyone else.

But if it was Ed we could carry on with basically the same gameplay, he would be in on the events that have happened so far in the Metal Gear world, and he has close ties to familiar Metal Gear characters so they could be in the games in the future without any crazy retcons. He was also going to die in MGS2 but they wrote it out so they could use him later, so maybe Kojima has had big plans for him for a while.

Yoboman

SolidSnakex said:
Well you've suggested Sunny and she's a girl also, so if they wouldn't want to play as Meryl then they wouldn't want to play as her either. And screw the sexist people, I think it'd be an interesting route for the series to take.

Meryl's connected to Snake which makes her appealing to people. People have been wanting her back since MGS.
Well we need to know more of Sunny to be sure. They can start Sunny of at a young an age as possible, probably around 18 - 19, even if they did 3 games with her in the same time bracket as MGS (10 - 15 years, I guess) it'd work. I also never picked Meryl as an "I can kick the ass of everything, single-handedly" kinda character, despite her attitude. I think Sunny, knowing her mum (potential spoilers, even though just a theory, about Sunny's dad:
and her dad....possibly being Ocelot
) would fit better in there

Too much we don't know though

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Yoboman said:
think Sunny, knowing her mum (potential spoilers, even though just a theory, about Sunny's dad:
and her dad....possibly being Ocelot
) would fit better in there

I would think/hope that
Olga would have better taste in men. Besides, they didn't get on very well (to say the least) in MGS2 - but then again that had more to do with Ocelot "leaving her father to die" than anything else.
That theory is a sound one though.

What about prequels though? How about a game that details Snake during his Philanthropy days, sabotaging and destroying Metal Gears? It would make for a nice series of episodic games.

Yoboman

industrian said:
I would think/hope that
Olga would have better taste in men. Besides, they didn't get on very well (to say the least) in MGS2 - but then again that had more to do with Ocelot "leaving her father to die" than anything else.
That theory is a sound one though.
Shalashaska is a pimp, brother. I'm just thinking there must be a reason why her child got taken by the Patriots to begin with. I just can't figure the Raiden connection to it all

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Yoboman said:
Shalashaska is a pimp, brother.

His reaction to Volgin's offer of having Tatyana begs to differ. ;)

Yoboman said:
I'm just thinking there must be a reason why her child got taken by the Patriots to begin with.

Sunny was used as blackmail to get Olga to play along with the S3 Plan. Well that's the official story anyways. Kojima probably has a lot more in store for us.

Yoboman said:
I just can't figure the Raiden connection to it all

Which begs the question of Sunny's fate in MGS4 if Raiden happens to perish.

Wollan

industrian said:
blackbar2.jpg
Yoboman said:
industrian said:
Yoboman said:
blackbar4.jpg

Tom Penny

I wonder If the game is going to have real replay value. I really don't care about MGO. Hopefully the game will play out somewhat differently each time if you try doing it different ways so you can experiment a bunch of times if you want. I'm really glad they implemented the points system for weapos and upgrades. Too many games don't do stuff like that. That being said edge will probably give the game an 8.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
U K Narayan said:
Did we really need a new thread for this? It seems we get five Metal Gear Solid 4 threads a day.
Bioshock ring a bell. And as anticipated as that game was, MGS4 dwarfs it.

Yoboman said:
No you don't. You want it to be all new and fresh when you buy it
Agreed. These kinds of games don't need demo's. If you call yourself a fan then you know this game will be good for you. Read the previews folks, there's enough fapping for everyone!!!!

Visualante said:
Like cut scenes? Hahahah.
This is the "last" chapter under Kojimas supervision. There can be as much story as he wants there to be. You cannot cut corners here just because people complain about too many cutscenes. Imagine the very last FF game, would you want them to cut out story just because of people who want to see less of it?

f@luS

More than a member.
this game is without any single kind of doubt GOTY
too bad it will be available soon and will be forgotten during the election in fall....like gow 2 last year

but goty by miles i think MGSSSSSSS :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I don't know about you guys, but everytime I read something new about MGS4, I want to throw up. I'm so fucking hyped, it's not even funny. Good god.

LiquidMetal14

SolidSnakex said:
The reason people forgot about GoW2 was because of the system it's on.
This is very true. It is also stupid for people to think the PS2 is not relevant anymore. It doesn't have to be in HD to be this amazing game.

Yoboman

I get total RE4 vibes out of MGS4. Both, a complete refresh for a series with rather stale gameplay. Both 4th entries. Both releasing with little but glimpses of the first level shown and both will be longer, more fleshed out than expected

And on top of that MGS4 has online and an epic story. This game is gonna be huuuge

LiquidMetal14 said:
This is the "last" chapter under Kojimas supervision. There can be as much story as he wants there to be. You cannot cut corners here just because people complain about too many cutscenes. Imagine the very last FF game, would you want them to cut out story just because of people who want to see les of it?
I'm not laughing at MGS4 for including cut scenes. I'm laughing at the people who are speculating on an Edge 10 when they've not played MGS4 or read an entire Edge article before. You can't get any more clean cut that the cover I'm looking at right now. "inside the biggest PS3 game of the year". I completely agree with that, although it leaves me a little winded by the thought of no TRICO this year.

I'm just bored of all this fapping, Edge 10, talk of dwarfing Bioshock, pigeonholing people into fans or haters and not least the hypocrisy over whether we care about scores or not.

The game is going to be a hit, irrespective of scores and awards. And everyone who buys a PS3 to play it will get a substantial amount of pleasure from playing it. That's our hobby right there. For me the hype on this game is comparable to fucking Audiosurf, that's how insignificant all that is.

But if someone disagrees. Well I'll see you in 500 pages or maybe when we have the LTTP thread.

Productions values transcend modern video games: A Hollywood grade surround sound and moving track score by Harry Gregson Williams. Electrifying cut scenes and a sense of closure "more suited to Return of the King than Halo 3".

It's right here folks, it's there in fine print. I'm reading it.

When did they tell us the name of
Olga's child
? I am almost down with Metal Gear Solid 3, but I would assume they would have doled out the details about the child during MGS2.

Is this information not in the actual game? Is it in some outside materials related to the universe?

LiquidMetal14

brandonh83 said:
It's right here folks, it's there in fine print. I'm reading it.
Fucking epic confirmed. I'm giddy about the soundtrack more now!!!!

Visualante said:
I'm not laughing at MGS4 for including cut scenes. I'm laughing at the people who are speculating on an Edge 10 when they've not played MGS4 or read an entire Edge article before. You can't get any more clean cut that the cover I'm looking at right now. "inside the biggest PS3 game of the year". I completely agree with that, although it leaves me a little winded by the thought of no TRICO this year.

I'm just bored of all this fapping, Edge 10, talk of dwarfing Bioshock, pigeonholing people into fans or haters and not least the hypocrisy over whether we care about scores or not.

The game is going to be a hit, irrespective of scores and awards. And everyone who buys a PS3 to play it will get a substantial amount of pleasure from playing it. That's our hobby right there. For me the hype on this game is comparable to fucking Audiosurf, that's how insignificant all that is.

But if someone disagrees. Well I'll see you in 500 pages or maybe when we have the LTTP thread.
This title is far more anticipated than Bioshock. And while I agree with a good deal or you statement the second bold makes me question you a little. You have a PS3 right?

Visualante said:
Here's the preceding sentence for balance.
Nobodies perfect. Look at Uncharted for instance. It is a powerhouse game with several little visuals compromises. It doesn't make the game less appealing. People will still be blown away.

U K Narayan said:
Did we really need a new thread for this? It seems we get five Metal Gear Solid 4 threads a day.

Yes we do. MGS4 is going to be an epic game beyond imagination. Do these threads bother you?

Seiken said:
I don't know about you guys, but everytime I read something new about MGS4, I want to throw up. I'm so fucking hyped, it's not even funny. Good god.

Whenever I see a MGS4 preview I get teary eyed and I can't help it.

Deepblue

Banned
Visualante said:
While that may be true, that won't stop it from being a good game. (one part of that sentence applies to a certain game in my avatar, to which EDGE bestowed a 10).

Visualante said:

what? sorry, I just woke up, not catching on. you mean that's the sentence that preceds in the magazine?

and btw: When I'm wrapped up in the game, which has never been a problem in the MGS series, I'm not exactly analyzing every nook and cranny in the game for some less than perfect textures. while I understand some people are truly fucking obsessed with textures, I stand on the other side of the line where the people who really don't give a shit are.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Yoboman said:
He's overpowered, plus
I wouldn't be surprised if his fate was a tragic one, as the Ninja always goes in the MGS series

You're right but wouldn't that be boring, predictable and cliche at this point? We know cyborgs are
cursed
in MGS world! They always
die
in every freakin' game (Black Ninja, Grey Fox, Olga). Previous cyborgs were only secondary characters though, also Kojima says that MGS4 would be Raiden's come back. That leads me to believe that
he won't die
, maybe we're not told the entire truth about Raiden. Who knows? Well, except for those lucky 16 journalists :(.. Oh, how I envy them!!

SolidSnakex said:
So why not finish that sentence?
I'm sorry I explained myself badly. The person who transcribed the sentence about production values cut it in half. I simply completed it to give the comment context.

Deepblue

Banned
brandonh83 said:
I can't recall a single videogame I've played that didn't have bad textures somewhere.
Pervasive low-res textures is not the same as bad textures somewhere. But to people who, you know, care about the game, it won't matter too much. I regret what could have been with many games, but I learn to accept them for what they are and move on.

They chose framerate over textures from the sound of it. And i'd gladly take the 60fps framerate MGS4 runs at over some fancy textures.

Deepblue said:
Pervasive low-res textures is not the same as bad textures somewhere. But to people who, you know, care about the game, it won't matter too much. I regret what could have been with many games, but I learn to accept them for what they are and move on.

Twilight Princess has some less than stellar texture work. But when I was actually playing through the game and into it, I wasn't paying attention. I suppose bad textures are something I recognize but if the art direction and overall visuals are fantastic, it really overshadows things, IMO. MGS4 is clearly a beautiful game. It's not a problem.

ilanna said:
You're right but wouldn't that be boring, predictable and cliche at this point? We know cyborgs are
cursed[/spoiler in MGS world! They always
die
in every freakin' game (Black Ninja, Grey Fox, Olga). Previous cyborgs were only secondary characters though, also Kojima says that MGS4 would be Raiden's come back. That leads me to believe that
he won't die
, maybe we're not told the entire truth about Raiden. Who knows? Well, except for those lucky 16 journalists :(.. Oh, how I envy them!!
Kojima never tells the truth. I guarantee 90% will pop in the game and say WTF in the first ten minutes. I'm mostly interested in what
the deal with Raiden is, the truth behind the one trailer with young Snake, and the truth behind Big Boss's creation of Outer Heaven. I don't think he turned on the world, I believe it was another ruse of the Patriots.
*breathes*

Yoboman

I think the textures will only be a problem when you get right next to them. No worse than you had to "suffer" in Call of Duty 4

LiquidMetal14

SolidSnakex said:
They chose framerate over textures from the sound of it. And i'll gladly take the 60fps framerate MGS4 runs at over some fancy textures.
Fucking eh, you right!! Seems like some people want to derail the hype by pointing out things that really don't take away from the experience. The next impending arguments will be the textured on tires. You know that truck in the Altair spoof? One tire in the beginning of that had lower res textures than the rest. Now the game will suck!

Note the sarcasms.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Fucking eh, you right!! Seems like some people want to derail the hype by pointing out things that really don't take away from the experience. The next impending arguments will be the textured on tires. You know that truck in the Altair spoof? One tire in the beginning of that had lower res textures than the rest. Now the game will suck!

Note the sarcasms.

This. It's impossible to derail the hype of this game. You have a better chance of fending off 100 Metal Gear Rexes.

There is so much tucked away in the game that some things won't be discovered until months or even years after your first play.

Oh, they must be referring to the unlockable "Bad Texture Scavenger Hunt" mode after you complete the game on Big Boss. There's so many bad textures you could be running across new ones for years to come.

Choke on the Magic said:
This. It's impossible to derail the hype of this game. You have a better chance of fending off 100 Metal Gear Rexes.

Yeah it's just not happening this time. The dishype junkies on GAF won't be able to touch this. And it's more like, 100 MG Rays. :lol

Yoboman

U K Narayan said:
Call of Duty 4 looks marvelous, too.
Indeed it did. Much like MGS4 they "sacrificed" higher res textures to get the other elements looking so good. The textures in both games have a large texture variety too, they just don't scale well close up

Another game that also opted for this method was Killzone 2 (last we saw at least)

Top Bottom