• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Monster Hunter World trailer shows off Wildspire Waste

Blueblur1

That trailer was fantastic. I'm really excited to finally dive into Monster Hunter with MHW. I'm glad that there are QoL improvements. The last thing I want is to be forced to use an app to accomplish something that the game should be supporting.

Bungie, I'm looking at you. >:-|

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
As long as this fucker doesn't come back I am good with anything

latest
That's an easy collab with DBZ, would be a shame to remove him.

Brachydios needs to come back too, need mah slime fix.

TreIII

Alright, now THAT'S what I'm talking about. All the new beasties look amazing, and I can't wait to fight them. Even the new "Drome" type looks more interesting!

DrArchon

Should've been the first trailer. Looks so much better than that E3 trailer in basically every way. No one can look at this and say "I don't know, maybe they dumbed down the combat".

Putting in Barroth is nice seeing as we seemingly won't be getting XX. And the new monsters look cool as well, even if Mud-sioth looks a little too derivative in its design. Glad to have a Chameleon-like Monster that isn't Chameleos (and is thus hopefully more fun to fight).

So we've got Anjanath, Great Jagras, Rathalos, Barroth, Diablos, Rock-Drome, Chameleon-Wyvern, Sand-Plesioth and the Lao-Lookalike so far, 9 in total. I'm guessing they'll have 2 more areas with 3-5 big monsters each, leaving the final count around 15-20 overall (not counting HR variations). It'll probably be in-line with Tri overall, with G-Rank coming later down the line as an expansion.

I'm still really skeptical of how well this is going to do in the West though. That town video makes it seem like pretty traditional Monster Hunter, which is pretty incompatible with a long-form console experience. I think Capcom is making a major mistake if they retain things like the time limit failstate and the high amount of meter upkeep.

deim0s

So we've got Anjanath, Great Jagras, Rathalos, Barroth, Diablos, Rock-Drome, Chameleon-Wyvern, Sand-Plesioth and the Lao-Lookalike so far, 9 in total. I'm guessing they'll have 2 more areas with 3-5 big monsters each, leaving the final count around 15-20 overall (not counting HR variations). It'll probably be in-line with Tri overall, with G-Rank coming later down the line as an expansion.

Lavasioth or something

Hybris

I'm still really skeptical of how well this is going to do in the West though. That town video makes it seem like pretty traditional Monster Hunter, which is pretty incompatible with a long-form console experience. I think Capcom is making a major mistake if they retain things like the time limit failstate and the high amount of meter upkeep.

15-20? People would not be happy about that... I don't know if that's a safe assumption to make. Plus people have already speculated there will be at least 5 maps based on background art from capcom.

Raide

If they keep the content coming, people will keep playing. Many only really leave one MH because a fresh one comes out. Played right, Capcom could see a huge resurgence if they keep things fresh for World.

Expecting some interesting crossover DLC to keep things fun.

Long-form gaming suits consoles way more than the traditional handheld MH experience.

BlizzKrut

Banned
15-20? People would not be happy about that... I don't know if that's a safe assumption to make. Plus people have already speculated there will be at least 5 maps based on background art from capcom.

The person you're replying to is only counting the large monsters though, not the dromes/small ones, around 20 large monsters is pretty good if it keeps the quality it has, remember this is probably the first title in many to follow with these new assets.

Syril

People didn't like it in Tri either, but it was still the right decision for diversifying the monsters. However just from this trailer there's already more returning monsters than Tri had.

Also get a fucking load of the Barroth mud actually making obstacles this time instead of just causing a status.

Mupod

why are people STILL bringing up debunked 'leaks'? It's almost as annoying as the console warrior bullshit.

Anyways, I feel like Brachydios doesn't fit well with the game's theme so far...a neon green and purple, walking Michael Bay movie is as far as you can get from what we've seen. Barroth on the other hand, was always a monster that fit perfectly into its environment. It's a great example of a monster that seems like something that could actually exist in that ecosystem.

I don't expect them to give away the size of the roster, or how many returning monsters we'll see, but I think we can make some guesses. Monsters that really emphasize their ties to the natural environment are the ones I think are likely to come back. Barioth for a snow area, Nargacuga for the jungle, maybe Agnaktor for the inevitable volcano.

I also don't think they will have a roster as small as Tri. They learned from that mistake. But I don't think anyone expects a massive amount like 4U/Generations.

Hybris

The person you're replying to is only counting the large monsters though, not the dromes/small ones, around 20 large monsters is pretty good if it keeps the quality it has, remember this is probably the first title in many to follow with these new assets.

Yeah I'm aware. Not much point in counting small monsters really. New assets, but it is MT framework still so I think it's reasonable to expect more than 15-20. Also we have seeing a decent number of returning monsters and new monsters have similar skeletons to existing monsters so far.

Pardon my ignorance, but what framework was 2nd gen developed in?

Ridley327

why are people STILL bringing up debunked 'leaks'? It's almost as annoying as the console warrior bullshit.

Anyways, I feel like Brachydios doesn't fit well with the game's theme so far...a neon green and purple, walking Michael Bay movie is as far as you can get from what we've seen. Barroth on the other hand, was always a monster that fit perfectly into its environment. It's a great example of a monster that seems like something that could actually exist in that ecosystem.

I don't expect them to give away the size of the roster, or how many returning monsters we'll see, but I think we can make some guesses. Monsters that really emphasize their ties to the natural environment are the ones I think are likely to come back. Barioth for a snow area, Nargacuga for the jungle, maybe Agnaktor for the inevitable volcano.

I also don't think they will have a roster as small as Tri. They learned from that mistake. But I don't think anyone expects a massive amount like 4U/Generations.

I maintain that 35-40 large monsters would be a good baseline for the game, with further content updates to look forward to that should push that more towards the count that we've come to expect from G-rank expansions these days.

Sayad

They should do daily and weakly quests to keep people coming back. Games like Destiny actually had more repeated content than most MH games on its first year and still managed to maintain few millions active players, not to compare the two, just pointing out that even mainstream console gamers aren't immune to the grind.

BlizzKrut

Banned
They should do daily and weakly quests to keep people coming back. Games like Destiny actually had more repeated content than most MH games on its first year and still managed to maintain few millions active players, not to compare the two, just pointing out that even mainstream console gamers aren't immune to the grind.

They usually add free monthly content to the game after launch (new quests, armor, weapons, some monsters/subspecies), let's hope they keep the same idea.

Ridley327

Yeah I'm aware. Not much point in counting small monsters really. New assets, but it is MT framework still so I think it's reasonable to expect more than 15-20. Also we have seeing a decent number of returning monsters and new monsters have similar skeletons to existing monsters so far.

Pardon my ignorance, but what framework was 2nd gen developed in?

I think that it shared the same tech with first gen, since all second gen really added was content. The big overhaul didn't come until third gen, which redid everything from the ground up.

Raide

I think they may follow the 3DS way and have monthly themed content drops with new missions culminating in a new gear item to craft.

I do think they should have something per week or so, just as a chrllenge thing. Guessing the arena stuff will play into this.

Ridley327

Why didn't they show this at E3 instead of the crap trailer they presented ?

I do not understand how Capcom thought that rudimentary stealth was better to show off than actual Monster Hunter gameplay. It's like Capcom enjoys digging out of holes they dug for themselves and won't have it any other way.

Any word if they're going to cross-promote this with a reduction or free month of PS+/XBL Gold? Have yet to purchase any of these services, and I'm inclined to wait for the game's price drop to offset those costs.

Top Bottom