• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Monster Hunter World trailer shows off Wildspire Waste

DJIzana

Man, the graphics look so good but it's a shame that the game is practically worthless to me without local MP and cross platform play.

I guess I'm lucky my friends own a PS4 and plan to pick this up. Obviously it's still drop in coop but... would be nice to play with friends somehow, still.

I hope the OST is good. Never been a fan of any of the other OST's from Mon Hun, really.

Well as a result I was completely disappointed by what I thought was westernization of a japanese franchise. The first thing I wanted to see from a new Monster Hunter game on a beefy hardware was how cool it could look, not outdated stealth mechanics or the seamless world that was going to be in no matter what.

Lol, 'westernization'...

Ridley327

If only there was a place you message people to play online with.

If they're talking about wanting local play, it's pretty likely that they have a group of friends that are split between different platforms, which crossplay could solve if it was being considered.

Well as a result I was completely disappointed by what I thought was westernization of a japanese franchise. The first thing I wanted to see from a new Monster Hunter game on a beefy hardware was how cool it could look, not outdated stealth mechanics or the seamless world that was going to be in no matter what.

Is this a troll or a drive by?

This is by all means an evolution of Monster Hunter

And not even that huge a departure form the formula honestly

Ridley327

Is this a troll or a drive by?

This is by all means an evolution of Monster Hunter

And not even that huge a departure form the formula honestly

I think they're just talking about how lame the original trailer was, which, let's face it, was pretty damn weak compared to what they've been showing since.

Squishy3

I'm actually wondering if it might be online only. Having a game on PC where the characters are stored locally is practically asking for rampant cheating.
People've cheated in all forms of MH over the years, the only way it'd actually be a problem is if Capcom had some anti-cheat measures and they could do stuff like people were doing in DS3 that got people banned because it triggered their anti-cheat. (Giving people soul amounts impossible to attain in 1 hit during PVP)

Most people play MH with people they know versus randoms. I think people are underestimating MH on PC, it's the kind of series PC players would enjoy. Dragon's Dogma did really well as well and while the structure of the game is different (fantasy RPG versus hunting game) the core gameplay is similar enough. Franchises that have had a dedicated following on other platforms tend to do well on PC, see aforementioned Dragon's Dogma and stuff like Dark Souls.

The series has had good word of mouth long enough that that reputation will carry over if it's ever released on PC.

wwm0nkey

People've cheated in all forms of MH over the years, the only way it'd actually be a problem is if Capcom had some anti-cheat measures and they could do stuff like people were doing in DS3 that got people banned because it triggered their anti-cheat. (Giving people soul amounts impossible to attain in 1 hit during PVP)

Most people play MH with people they know versus randoms. I think people are underestimating MH on PC, it's the kind of series PC players would enjoy. Dragon's Dogma did really well as well and while the structure of the game is different (fantasy RPG versus hunting game) the core gameplay is similar enough. Franchises that have had a dedicated following on other platforms tend to do well on PC, see aforementioned Dragon's Dogma and stuff like Dark Souls.

The series has had good word of mouth long enough that that reputation will carry over if it's ever released on PC.
You mean WHEN it's released on PC, since it's been confirmed :)

*Still betting on 3 weeks after console launch.

Thoraxes

I guess I'm lucky my friends own a PS4 and plan to pick this up. Obviously it's still drop in coop but... would be nice to play with friends somehow, still.

I hope the OST is good. Never been a fan of any of the other OST's from Mon Hun, really.
If they're talking about wanting local play, it's pretty likely that they have a group of friends that are split between different platforms, which crossplay could solve if it was being considered.
Basically this. Out of the 5 people I consistently played with, i've usually played locally with all 5 of them on 3DS. Now I have 2 people I can't play with because our schedules don't line up outside of work hours but we could play during our lunch/breaks daily, and the other 3 are each going to a different platform (1 on XBO (doesn't own a PS4), 1 on PS4 (most of his friends are on there), and 1 on PC (doesn't have PS+).

Being split like this literally ruined the series for me.

If only there was a place you message people to play online with.
The experience just won't be the same without my friends. Outside of getting help for rank quests (which i've appreciated in the past), I really have no desire to play with strangers on a regular basis.

Squishy3

You mean WHEN it's released on PC, since it's been confirmed :)

*Still betting on 3 weeks after console launch.
When Toukiden 2 got a day and date release on PC World better get one. Capcom's been pretty good about day and date releases recently, Street Fighter 5, RE7, and Dead Rising 4 (Windows 10) all got simultaneous releases on PC, so I don't see why World wouldn't get one too, honestly.

edit: i also fixed my post before you replied, haha. look at your quote.

Ridley327

Looks good and will probably make this my first entry in the series. Hope the online crowd isn't toxic.

I think I speak for a lot of the Monster Hunter community when I say that we're one of the best ones out there when it comes to helping newcomers learn the ropes. The only hurdles that have existed have strictly been for endgame content, which... well, it's endgame content.

Defuser

Looks good and will probably make this my first entry in the series. Hope the online crowd isn't toxic.

Frankly every game's online crowd is toxic and MH is no different. Some will boot you out of the group if you play a certain weapon that outputs weak damage/wearing not a full set/get carted often.etc

wwm0nkey

When Toukiden 2 got a day and date release on PC World better get one. Capcom's been pretty good about day and date releases recently, Street Fighter 5, RE7, and Dead Rising 4 (Windows 10) all got simultaneous releases on PC, so I don't see why World wouldn't get one too, honestly.

edit: i also fixed my post before you replied, haha. look at your quote.

I don't think they have confirmed the PC version launching with the console version. If it's not day and date it wont be long after I imagine

Why didn't they show this at E3 instead of the crap trailer they presented ?

Much better than that dudebro trailer released at E3.

Notice how they hid most of the stuff we complained about haha.

Day two.

I do not understand how Capcom thought that rudimentary stealth was better to show off than actual Monster Hunter gameplay. It's like Capcom enjoys digging out of holes they dug for themselves and won't have it any other way.

It's almost exactly the way MH4 was revealed.

The first trailer was cut specifically to overemphasize new features and showed basically none of the traditional combat mechanics, then the second trailer was far more representative of the big picture. The only difference is that MH4 didn't have bullshit "leaks" telling everyone how dumbed down it was, so people took that trailer for what both of these were... an exposition of new mechanics.

Also, I know a ton of console gamers who have never touched or paid much attention to MH that are now hyped after that first trailer. From all I've seen, it's done a REALLY good job of getting new attention.

Maybe it's time we start admitting that the problem with the initial reception among die hard fans wasn't the first trailer, it was the fake leak.

Kyoufu

PC version is not out day and date with the console versions. Probably a good thing because they get more time to polish up the PC version.

Hybris

Frankly every game's online crowd is toxic and MH is no different. Some will boot you out of the group if you play a certain weapon that outputs weak damage/wearing not a full set/get carted often.etc

Yep this, but its mostly restricted to end game content. Forums like here and reddit are very supportive though, and it's not hard to find people who aren't dicks.

Okay, so this confirms that the time limit is exactly the same. Not removed. Not "you get a reduced reward for going overtime."

It's so dumb. It's the most obvious thing to alter with minimum impact on the core experience. Nobody wants to waste 50 minutes failing a fight they would have beaten in 55, only to return empty handed.

I don't think they understand just how many of the non-fans they're attempting to draw in with MHW will drop the game the moment that happens to them.

Mupod

gaf basically falls over itself trying to help new players. Just stick to finding gaf groups in the OT/discord and you'll always be fine.

I can't really name any 'toxic' experiences in MH, as it's a co-op game. Like killing floor, bad players generally just make the game funnier.

I mean, elitists in the community exist, but they are sad sad little people.

Kyoufu

Okay, so this confirms that the time limit is exactly the same. Not removed. Not "you get a reduced reward for going overtime."

It's so dumb. It's the most obvious thing to alter with minimum impact on the core experience. Nobody wants to waste 50 minutes failing a fight they would have beaten in 55, only to return empty handed.

I don't think they understand just how many of the non-fans they're attempting to draw in with MHW will drop the game the moment that happens to them.

Nobody is going to waste 50 minutes this time because they added a flare for drop in co-op. If you're struggling then you fire a flare and bam, players join the hunt.

Ridley327

It's almost exactly the way MH4 was revealed.

The first trailer was cut specifically to overemphasize new features and showed basically none of the traditional combat mechanics, then the second trailer was far more representative of the big picture. The only difference is that MH4 didn't have bullshit "leaks" telling everyone how dumbed down it was, so people took that trailer for what both of these were... an exposition of new mechanics.

Also, I know a ton of console gamers who have never touched or paid much attention to MH that are now hyped after that first trailer. From all I've seen, it's done a REALLY good job of getting new attention.

Maybe it's time we start admitting that the problem with the initial reception among die hard fans wasn't the first trailer, it was the fake leak.

While you're not wrong about the pattern, I think there's a really marked difference between a trailer that provided an elaborate chase scene versus a trailer that made a big point out of showing how to pick up monster snot and wearing a ghili suit that magically makes you invisible while five feet away from a monster. It's one of the dullest things that Capcom has ever done promote a game in the series, if not the dullest, and it'd be a bad trailer even without the leaks to consider.

Raide

Well, World seems to be making enough changes to make combat more efficient, and less tripping over a UI and clunky animations, which should minimize those "down to the wire" type fights. In older MH games its usually that added time taken for healing, sharpening, crafting potions, running for miles after the monster runs off etc just dragged out fights that players were not fully geared for.

It's a good lesson to show players that they need to upgrade gear if they are running out of time.

OK this problem is seriously over blown

The inclusion of Drop in Co Op and Damage numbers along with what I assume will be a pretty explicit tutorial will alleviate this

Whats the deal guys?

Hybris

OK this problem is seriously over blown

The inclusion of Drop in Co Op and Damage numbers along with what I assume will be a pretty explicit tutorial will alleviate this

Whats the deal guys?

Yep... I don't see how people time out unless they are new to the game and trying to solo gathering hall stuff on accident. 50 minutes is an insanely long amount of time for hunts.

Demoli

The time limit hasn't been an issue ever apart from maybe G-Rank elder dragon quests in single player.

redcrayon

I think this system is even better. You try to tackle everything alone until you are struggling, then you call for help. That's a nice option if a player is finding endgame hunts being either a slog in single player or a five-minute cakewalk in multiplayer.

redcrayon

MH community is one of the best ones due to the co-op nature of the game. G-rank, endgame teams might boot weak players if they are carting constantly or haven't learned anything, but I've never seen that in the early-mid game in over a thousand hours of hunting across four games.

Soar

I actually love the time limits, adds a sense of urgency and drama especially if two of your friends decided to play drunk and do fuck all but throwing paintballs at each other and imaginary frogs.

Best hard mode.

I think this system is even better. You try to tackle everything alone until you are struggling, then you call for help. That's a nice option if a player is finding endgame hunts being either a slog in single player or a five-minute cakewalk in multiplayer.
But what if I wanna play the whole thing solo?

I didn't know this had time limits. Keeping expectations in check since I utterly hate time limits.

I didn't know this had time limits. Keeping expectations in check since I utterly hate time limits.
The time limits are really generous in MH though, even in single player most hunts shouldn't take more than 20 minutes at most. Hell, when you're playing in a group of 4 that knows what they are doing you can beat many monsters in less than 5 minutes.

Kyoufu

Then play solo? Nothing is stopping you. Everything is soloable. If you're struggling, then you need to get better armor/weapons and/or skill.

If you need more than 50 minutes then chances are you're going to run out of healing items anyway.

Thoraxes

Playing solo MH is a good way to have the game feel monotonous and stale pretty quickly. It's significantly more fun in multiplayer.

But anyways, general rule of thumb is that if you're taking the full 50 minutes for a hunt, you're probably doing something wrong, whether that be gear, traps, weapons, hitting wrong spots, not picking up on patterns, not paintballing, etc.

redcrayon

The time limit is very, very generous, I've only ever been up against it when tackling online- only beasts (meant for 2-3 players) solo, whereas we don't know how they are balancing the hp pools of the beasts here yet. Even then, if you are outmatched to the point where you can't kill or capture it in 50 minutes, it's far more likely that it'll KO you three times first unless you run out the clock by fleeing to camp every ten minutes.

Usually it takes you two minutes at most to find the monster, and even less if you've got skills or equipment that mark it for you. If you can't take a monster down in 50 minutes solo, you're usually severely under-equipped. MH doesn't have levels, your power level is only the gear you have, so if you aren't doing enough damage, you need to upgrade or tailor your weapon, tailor your kit bag with appropriate items and check out the skills and offensive/defensive abilities available by skinning the beasties one step below the mark you're struggling with, then come back.

Honestly, it's really only an issue if you are woefully outmatched or under-prepared, in which case part of the fun is learning it's patterns, going away and thinking about a setup that will take it apart. That feeling when you take down something that forced you to back off before is awesome.

Top Bottom