• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Monster Hunter World trailer shows off Wildspire Waste

Mikey Jr.

Where do you guys think the long term player base is going to be PC or PS4, still deciding. It would be awesome for Capcom to let us have shared files between the two.

9 times out of 10, ps4.

Only if the series has a long history on pc will it sell better on pc, but MH has never been on pc.

Toxi

Banned
Why didn't they show this at E3 instead of the crap trailer they presented ?
Because they wanted to show off the new features and changes like the seamless environments, not just what you already know will be in a Monster Hunter game.

Mentok

Banned
Those weapon trees :)

o8WgiIB.png

Yup, got me too! No longer having to have my browser open while playing, is a big QI on their part.

It's funny how everything post E3 has looked way better than what they unveiled.

I haven't been following the game at all, but this trailer looks goddamn amazing. Finally a good looking MonHun on something other than Nintendo's under powered stuff. This game on PC will be a dream.

Ridley327

Any word if they're going to cross-promote this with a reduction or free month of PS+/XBL Gold? Have yet to purchase any of these services, and I'm inclined to wait for the game's price drop to offset those costs.

We'll be lucky if they include a free 48 hour code for either of those services. I can see Capcom working something out with Sony in Japan, given that it does sound like it's a genuine concern among fans right now, but they're not facing nearly the same hurdles in the west with how widely accepted subscriptions have been.

LordKano

Because they wanted to show off the new features and changes like the seamless environments, not just what you already know will be in a Monster Hunter game.

Well as a result I was completely disappointed by what I thought was westernization of a japanese franchise. The first thing I wanted to see from a new Monster Hunter game on a beefy hardware was how cool it could look, not outdated stealth mechanics or the seamless world that was going to be in no matter what.

If they keep the content coming, people will keep playing. Many only really leave one MH because a fresh one comes out. Played right, Capcom could see a huge resurgence if they keep things fresh for World.

Expecting some interesting crossover DLC to keep things fun.

Long-form gaming suits consoles way more than the traditional handheld MH experience.

It'll almost certainly adopt the "games-as-a-service" mentality that most expansion-based, online co-op games have in this generation. MH seems like a better fit for that than many other franchises that have tried it.

Yeah, but my point is that MHW is still structured like a traditional handheld MH that's meant to be played in 50 minute bursts during commutes and work breaks.

Toxi

Banned
That looks so good.

I never thought they'd make a new monster using Khezu as a base. That's totally Khezu's body shape, walk cycle, and the tongue attack is a reskin of Khezu's neck stretch.
Hopefully this one's more fun to fight than Khezu.

Kinsei

Banned
Any word if they're going to cross-promote this with a reduction or free month of PS+/XBL Gold? Have yet to purchase any of these services, and I'm inclined to wait for the game's price drop to offset those costs.

They probably won't.

I just hope you're not forced to go online for high rank quests. It was really dumb back in MH3.

Those weapon trees :)

o8WgiIB.png

This seems like a faux-QoL improvement.

Yes, you can see how the trees branch and how far down they go now, but you still might not be able to see the stats and abilities of the ??? weapons until you craft them. If that's the case, it still isn't that useful for picking the best path.

bosh

All I can say is....Wow!

Never played a MH game before (Considering picking up XX for the switch from Japan, might hold off to see if it gets translated) but this looks incredible.

Yes, you can see how the trees branch and how far down they go now, but you still might not be able to see the stats and abilities of the ??? weapons until you craft them. If that's the case, it still isn't that useful for picking the best path.

Still better than going down a path that ends mid game and having to re-farm some crappy materials to go down another path.

Ridley327

The games since tri are all mobile ones and have local co-op tho.

I just can't see them going back to the old PS2 model for content. I wouldn't doubt that end-game content would be significantly harder for a solo player, even with Palicos, but since they've been making a big deal about being able to call for help at will, I don't think there's any reason why they would lock anything these days.

Toxi

Banned

As someone who has had to Kiranico a lot, no, it's not a "faux-QoL improvement". Just knowing what branches exist and how far they go helps immensely.

dwix

As someone who has had to Kiranico a lot, no, it's not a "faux-QoL improvement". Just knowing what branches exist and how far they go helps immensely.

Agree 100%

That is a distinct QoL improvement, nothing faux about it.

Sayad

They probably won't.

I just hope you're not forced to go online for high rank quests. It was really dumb back in MH3.

The hub town trailer showed that online stuff are available from the same place as the regular village quests. Hopefully that's an indication that there won't be things locked behind online access.

JP_

Banned

Maybe you buy books to be able to see farther down unexplored branches

Syril

They probably won't.

I'm actually wondering if it might be online only. Having a game on PC where the characters are stored locally is practically asking for rampant cheating.

Ridley327

I'm actually wondering if it might be online only. Having a game on PC where the characters are stored locally is practically asking for rampant cheating.

It's already been confirmed to be playable offline. I think the only thing that hasn't been mentioned is if it's possible to do LAN parties.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Dumb question but will this have crossplay between the PC and PS4 versions of the game?

They actually distinctly show weapon trees in game now? Glad they finally added it! Trailer was sick. The new area looks amazing and loved watching the weapons kick all kinds of ass! Really looking forward to this game!

Kolx

I don't think it has ever been done before for any game (discount), but some games did include some short trial like 1 or 2 weeks. However, you can find a sub for cheap during Christmas or BF so then you can redeem it when the game comes out.

BigEmil

9 times out of 10, ps4.

Only if the series has a long history on pc will it sell better on pc, but MH has never been on pc.
Yeah also PS4 confirmed global servers and MH World is PS4 exclusive in places like Japan

PS4 user-base for this game gonna be huge!

Thoraxes

Man, the graphics look so good but it's a shame that the game is practically worthless to me without local MP and cross platform play.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Doubt it, Capcom is probably done with cross play that require running their own servers for a while after SFV.

I'm pretty sure that Capcom completely shot down crossplay entirely, so not even PC<->PS4 is looking to be happening.

Damn that's disappointing to hear. I'm not going to be able to buy a new gaming PC for a while and have some friends who only game on the PC and love MH. Oh well maybe I can finally convince them to pick up some PS4's during the holiday sales.

Wouldn't mind updating my Profile pic to the Raptor that throws the rocks

Can anyone help a brother out? :)

UPDATE : NVM did it myself!

Ridley327

Oh, that's good, but I wonder what they plan to do about that issue all the same.

I think that's a big reason why it's not launching alongside the PS4/XB1 versions. That, and probably wanting to stave off data miners for as long as possible so they can have all content update announcements to themselves.

Top Bottom