• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nine Inch Nails EP: "ADD VIOLENCE". July 21st. New Video.

TheMan

I'm digging this more than any track on NTAE. Cool that reznor featured a PSVR game in the video. if I recall he's into old school shit like Robotron so makes sense he'd like Polybius.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Dammit, not liking it. I simply cannot stand his vocals on much of the newer shit. It still has that "I'm Trent Reznor, this is how I write songs" speaking/vocal style and I fucking hate it.

Will always check out the newer stuff though. I actually really loved the last song on the last EP they put out though, burning bright. that was awesome.

Well I fully understand why Trent is releasing this stuff as separate EPs rather than a full record now; this sounds completely totally different to Not The Actual Events. Can't wait to have the full trilogy.

Less Than gets better with every listen. So many layers.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'm a bit over the Copy of A / Hand that Feeds rhyming/cadence style but I do really like the instrumental - the synths sound awesome. But it sounds a bit muddy - is that Youtube?

After "The Idea of You" and "Dear World," this seems super poppy and a bit uninspired. Keen to hear the rest.

I'm a bit over the Copy of A / Hand that Feeds rhyming/cadence style but I do really like the instrumental - the synths sound awesome. But it sounds a bit muddy - is that Youtube?

After "The Idea of You" and "Dear World," this seems super poppy and a bit uninspired. Keen to hear the rest.

He had an interview on Beats 1 earlier, Zane Lowe commented that the last track is 11 minutes long, basically destroys itself and is very different from this song. Trent himself said this song isn't indicative of how the rest of the tracks sound.

I love it though, it's like an update to Hand That Feeds for the current climate.

Shredderi

I gotta admit that I'm kind of loving this track. He's recent output has been a bit of a slow burn for me but I took to this instantly. Very cool video as well!

janoDX

The start of the single is "2017 new trend synthpop" but then it blends so well with NIN's guitars...

Holy shit.

With the change in art direction and packaging, I wonder what the physical component will be this time? Can't imagine it'll be exactly the same.

zerosum

Hahaha... Thumbs up Mr. Reznor.

I wasn't completely sold on NTAE. Like, it was completely solid, Burning Bright (Field on Fire) especially, but I couldn't help but feel that it was "missing" something.

This though, it's a winner.

I dug NTAE , hyped to hear this has Hand That Feeds vibes, probably one of my favorite NIN rockers ever. Next week is on some hype shit. This, movies like Dunkirk coming out, usual Comic-Con fuckery, es gonna be lit.

Now just to decide if I wanna get the physical component again. Truth be told I still haven't opened the one for NTAE, I think spoiling the contents before hand wasn't a good idea so if I do but I'll probably stay away from the NIN Reddit lol.

Chumley

Banned
This song is way fucking better than anything on the EP from last year. Trent is back.

And honestly, I might like this more than anything in Hesitation Marks. Best NiN song since 2008? Maybe.

Ninhead

This song is way fucking better than anything on the EP from last year. Trent is back.

And honestly, I might like this more than anything in Hesitation Marks. Best NiN song since 2008? Maybe.

"Various Methods of Escape" would like a word.

I'll say this is better (see: more catchy) than much of what he's done in the last few years but to me, this just doesn't sound right. Or, it doesn't sound like NIN material. Without his iconic voice I would never guess it was them. Interested to hear more though.

Hesitation Marks had some solid tunes, just not an amazing full album. That's why I kinda like this EP idea of Trent's. Makes it a bit more focused.

With Teeth and Year Zero will always be my NIN era though. Fuck I loved those albums.

AcridMeat

Banned
Been listening to this since yesterday and chatting with friends about it. I really dig it, love the sound.

The chorus is very familiar but the synth work and composition and guitar effects are all top for me. Those saying it sounds like Year Zero are on the money.

I've been going through his earlier catalog again as I try to get a coworker into his music. I like that he's focusing on these smaller EPs.

Broken is still his best EP though.

RedStep

Yesterday NIN announced a surprise "Early Access" show in Bakersfield this Wednesday (7/19), opened by Tobacco. Snagged GA tickets in the presale this morning. It's a bit of a road trip (from Sacramento) but apparently only 2k tickets were sold (a good amount seated) and I have great memories from the UC Davis "warmup" show for With Teeth, so I'm stoked.

F2g06JD.png

TAD

Polybius huh? This track sounds like it's straight outta The Slip. Very raw chorus, which I missed a lot from Hesitation Marks.
Was gonna say, sounds exactly like something that would be on The Slip, disappointing in a way because it sounds a bit TOO familiar.

Yesterday NIN announced a surprise "Early Access" show in Bakersfield this Wednesday (7/19), opened by Tobacco. Snagged GA tickets in the presale this morning. It's a bit of a road trip (from Sacramento) but apparently only 2k tickets were sold (a good amount seated) and I have great memories from the UC Davis "warmup" show for With Teeth, so I'm stoked.

F2g06JD.png

I live here in Bakersfield and I also got a ticket. It's my first time seeing NIN. I'm stoked!

Animator

Fuck I would pay good money for a mix of this track that doesn't sound like it's recorded on a cassette tape that's left on the dashboard in a hot summer.

zerosum

I'm under the impression that if the mix sounds muffled/muddled... that's probably how Trent wants it to sound. I mean, he's not really one to let that shit slide. Youtube compression and whatever else aside, theres a noticeable "fuzz" to the track.

I'm under the impression that if the mix sounds muffled/muddled... that's probably how Trent wants it to sound. I mean, he's not really one to let that shit slide. Youtube compression and whatever else aside, theres a noticeable "fuzz" to the track.

Agreed, I'm just not 100% about it

So... There's a possibly of ARG taking place.

These EPs are supposedly a "sequel" to Year Zero.

NIN posted the following:

https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/886981398602502144

NINE INCH NAILS: ADD VIOLENCE - BACK COVER
AVAILABLE 21 JULY
REMEMBER WHEN RECORDS HAD BACK COVERS? NO? MAYBE THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT.

DE8wttfUwAAc5bE.jpg

Folks have been dissecting the artwork and there's too many references to Year Zero ("Presence", "Model No. 24" aka "Halo 24 - Year Zero", and "2022" being the year the Presence was seen at Washington D.C., etc).

F2g06JD.png

Oh man, you're in for a treat. If the ARG news is true, this could be a very ARG-focused show.

Oni Jazar

I loved the Year Zero ARG. Lucky bastards in LA got a super private surprise concert! I was forever bummed that the YZ HBO show never got off the ground.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I feel like this perfectly sums up my feelings on 99% of his post Fragile output. I kind of can't believe this is even the same artist.
I love the Fragile but I've also loved a heap of his stuff since, and probably more - the soundtracks, Ghosts, etc. I don't see the decline in quality personally. Not the Actual Events is awesome - this is just kinda 'NIN by numbers' for me.

Ronabo

Year Zero was amazing and I'd love to see something like that again. I still remember getting goosebumps calling the one phone number to hear a story clip.

Darkangel

Wow I'm really liking this.

It has the mainstream accessibility of something like "The Hand That Feeds," but it doesn't completely abandon the weird synth style of earlier NiN tracks.

Top Bottom