• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nine Inch Nails EP: "ADD VIOLENCE". July 21st. New Video.

NoRéN

Anything labeled "coming soon" really is coming soon and not sold out?

I would love to get With Teeth and this EP since that track was great.

Check your inbox for download link, if you purchased the EP. Sounds amazing in 24-bit WAV! 80MB though!

Me and my FLACs are over here fighting vertigo from this new track. It made me feel physically ill towards the end. I'm sorta in Love with how raw it is.

Less Than is a foamy appetizer in comparison to This Isn't The Place

NoRéN;243855861 said:

With Teeth, Year Zero, The Slip, Quake OST, and Add Violence have not be available to order yet. I think they're waiting to knock out the orders already pending before making the situation more complicated. Believe me, I want YZ and WT bad.

NoRéN;243855861 said:

Yeah, definitely 'coming soon'. I need that Year Zero vinyl...

NotSelf

THIS ISN'T THE PLACE is sublime the pulse that comes in at 1:40 and layers all have this cohesive clarity that I never really heard in a NIN song it's oddly perfect.

SOR5

1st EP is dark ambient heavy early NiN
2nd EP is poppy-rocky-electronic middle NiN
3rd EP will be tonally different to anything ever done and represent a new sound

Calling it
Decade 1, decade 2 and decade 3

Like, I appreciate that he's still doing his thing, and that his production is always aces, but both of these tracks feel like he's pulling bits out of the same old bag of tricks and recombining them in slightly new ways.

Appreciate that Llamasoft was involved with the Less Than video, lol. Oh, it's kinda product placement. Even better!

I was waiting for the vinyl to go up before I ordered, sucks I can't get this early like you all. Hearing a lot of hype for that last track.

Holy shit at The Lovers.

Actually, holy shit at this EP.

I now understand the ANXIETY branding. The Background World is giving me those vibes.

?oe?oe

Fuuuuccckkkkkkk, why is Less Than on this EP? The rest is so different.

Oh shit The Background World is starting to go off the rail! Hold me.

Vee_One

This can't be purchased digital only?

What's up with the merchandise page anyways? Everything is either sold out or "coming soon"

It'll be on iTunes I expect within a couple of days
From the NIN store the closest you can get to digital only is the physical edition. They say coming soon because you get digital immediately and then physical shipping 7 Aug (I think)

EDIT: The vinyl side has been a bit of a shmozzle but most should be available Aug.

EDIT2: I'LL GLITCH AS MUCH AS I WANT

This can't be purchased digital only?

What's up with the merchandise page anyways? Everything is either sold out or "coming soon"

Sold out is sold out.
Coming soon is coming soon.
The closest you can buy it digital right now is with the physical component, so add shipping to that package.

21st July is when it'll release elsewhere.

Edit: V1, STOP GLITCHING!

I'm liking this EP more than NTAE, it feels more cohesive to me. Or maybe it's because "Branches/Bones" and "The Idea of You" weren't my kind of NIN.

I'm liking this EP more than NTAE, it feels more cohesive to me. Or maybe it's because "Branches/Bones" and "The Idea of You" weren't my kind of NIN.

I love NTAE, although that sounded more like a handful of songs randomly chucked together than this one, which I wish he'd developed into a full album. Five tracks ain't enough!

I like it though.

I know hes gotta exist in the present.

He really can't do much wrong to me. He convinced me with Year Zero that music doesn't have to be drug fuel and self destructive, and he continues to convince me (along with Frusciante and Rodriguez) that music is something that can be done life long. That it's not just a young persons "it's better to burn out than to fade away" death knell, that it's a conduit for passion and growth, and self sustainability.

It's a direction I wish Marilyn Manson took at the same time Reznor took.

I love the EP.

https://youtu.be/wRCsD5QWTuE

Damn. This cover of Bowie hits me right in the feels. Especially when Bowie himself kicks in.

This was him paying tribute to Bowie from last nights concert.

Studio tribute/remix is here: https://m.soundcloud.com/thisisthenumbernineteen/i-cant-give-everything-away-farewell-mix

I'm in LOVE with this EP. I'm somewhat pissed I listened to the two previously released tracks on their own. The EP deserves to be heard in it's full form. The Lovers and The Background World are simply amazing.

Luschient

This was him paying tribute to Bowie from last nights concert.

That was great. I would love if he'd put together a mash-up of Crystal Japan/A Warm Place at some point as a tribute.

Also....
Put the freaking album up on iTunes Trent! I'm dying over here!

Hm... do I invest in an expensive turntable and speakers but Trent says that's the way his music is meant to be listened to... or do I just not invest in that and save like $400 because that's crazy, Trent.

Hm... do I invest in an expensive turntable and speakers but Trent says that's the way his music is meant to be listened to... or do I just not invest in that and save like $400 because that's crazy, Trent.

The Background World is going to destroy the Vinyl and Vinyl players all around the world.

I say get the CD and get FLAC or WAV format digital copy. Vinyls are great for collectors and those that want something massively tangible. Get a good pair of headphones, and diapers.

That said, this EP feels like it was made for Vinyl, and to be experienced first in Vinyl, especially for those that already own a player. Songs have a lot of burning sounds associated with Vinyl, going all meta on listeners.

Goddamn, this is a really good EP. Between this and NTAE, Trent really sounds revitalised. Bring on EP3 and whatever rearranged full album we get out of them all.

Oh and the ending to The Background World is totally Trent's answer to the crazy atomic blast sequence in the new season of Twin Peaks. Whatever the narrative of these EPs may be, this is a major turning point in it. If the theories of a Year Zero simulation are true, sounds like this is the point the simulation breaks down.

Top Bottom