• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nine Inch Nails EP: "ADD VIOLENCE". July 21st. New Video.

Wow, 2nd play through of the EP and I can already say this is easily much more to my liking than NTAE. Less Than, Not Anymore and of course The Background World are such knockouts.

The Lovers and This Isn't the Place are both really good so far too but they are definitely the more lowkey cuts on the EP.

Still, after Burning Bright became basically the only track that has stuck with me from NTAE, I'm pretty happy to see 3 tracks out of 5 that could end up being just as quality to me in the long run. Phew, was not really expecting Trent to show up on this level. Here's to hoping the last EP in December (I'm guessing) is even harder than this one. I'm glad I got the component again, itching to buy some of that AV merch now...

NoRéN

With Teeth, Year Zero, The Slip, Quake OST, and Add Violence have not be available to order yet. I think they're waiting to knock out the orders already pending before making the situation more complicated. Believe me, I want YZ and WT bad.

Yeah, definitely 'coming soon'. I need that Year Zero vinyl...
Thank you both.

Also, your mentions made me resisting to year zero. I don't know it's it the current times but damn. The album seems very appropriate at the moment and I appreciated it more than I feel I used to. I think I'll be getting it as well if I can.

Sai-kun

Banned
wow, the lovers has an awesome groove to it.

edit: hoooooly shit the background world

i said damn when that lil bass synth came in at like 2:20

hsin

Banned
This EP is probably some of the best work NIN has put out in recent memory. The textures and layers are just incredible. "The Background World" is one of the most disturbing NIN tracks I've ever heard (that tiny distortion before the long closing loop is especially unsettling to me). "This Isn't the Place" and "The Lovers" are also standout tracks!

Menome

Oh and the ending to The Background World is totally Trent's answer to the crazy atomic blast sequence in the new season of Twin Peaks.

Came here to post something similar. I'm sure it won't be long before someone has a video of the song played over the top of the footage and we discover it matches up in some fashion.

Not a great setlist to me. Wave Goodbye still the best.

I agree.

To not play She's Gone Away during your first live show after the Twin Peaks episode? Madness!

The setlists need a shakeup IMO. So much material to mine now, but there are so many live set staples he doesn't seem to want to deviate from. When i last watched them in '14 I got Beside You In Time and The Warning, it was fucking marvellous.

Love the Bowie cover addition though (although Girl Loves Me is my personal Blackstar favourite).

NoRéN;244074438 said:
Thank you both.

Also, your mentions made me resisting to year zero. I don't know it's it the current times but damn. The album seems very appropriate at the moment and I appreciated it more than I feel I used to. I think I'll be getting it as well if I can.

I love Year Zero. My second favourite NIN album after TDS.

jacobs34

Big thumbs up form me.

This is the first work from NIN in a while that really seems to open up on multiple listens. So many different textures and great little moments on each song.

Also, if we are ranking the best works by Trent this decade I feel like The Social Network soundtrack has to be at least mentioned.

Kodros

Meh, I'll give it a few more listens. I've been drifting away from NIN over the years. I think I just like "NIN: The Trent" not "NIN: The Band". Once he stopped doing everything himself, it just sounds like a group of people trying to make as many layered sounds at once. Sounds in early NIN were more deliberate.

Also, The Background World should have stopped at 5 minutes. Trent loves to make a good song and then throw hot garbage onto the end of it. 7 minutes distorted static..ffs

Awesome, gonna give this a listen soon. Really excited!
The Fragile should be at the top of everyone's list.

The Fragile is an album that got better with age. I was not a fan when that came out.

Less Than grew on me, I like it. Although it's completely different than the rest of the EP.

I really really dig The Lovers. Sounds like something that could have been on Hesitation Marks, and the piano along with the synthesizers was a good choice in giving it a darker, classic NIN sound.

This Isn't the Place is amazing, and as I and others have said before it could even sound like a collaboration with Thom Yorke.

I love Not Anymore. It sounds almost like they break into a desert rock jam.

The Background World is... Good. But I think it goes on just a biiiit too long with the whole "blowing your speakers up" thing. Unpopular opinion maybe? Seems like you guys love it.

Dan-o

The Fragile is an album that got better with age.

Agreed. In high school, a few months after it came out, a friend jokingly said "Trent Reznor is ahead of his time," followed by mocking the opening of Somewhat Damaged, which is, fair to say, relatively simple... but that song builds into fucking awesomeness all around that one loop of notes.

Anyway, even though he was joking, he was right. That album holds up incredibly well, with maybe only a couple tracks I could do without, damn near 20 years later.
Even Deeper bores me now and feels twice as long as it is, and I thought it was great before.

SOR5

The Background World is... Good. But I think it goes on just a biiiit too long with the whole "blowing your speakers up" thing. Unpopular opinion maybe? Seems like you guys love it.

I think the steadily distorting part is meant to be something significant musically as opposed to replayable and enjoyable

Like the very very last track of Hesitation Marks

corin7

Neo Member
I agree.

To not play She's Gone Away during your first live show after the Twin Peaks episode? Madness!

The setlists need a shakeup IMO. So much material to mine now, but there are so many live set staples he doesn't seem to want to deviate from. When i last watched them in '14 I got Beside You In Time and The Warning, it was fucking marvellous.

Love the Bowie cover addition though (although Girl Loves Me is my personal Blackstar favourite).

I was there and totally agree. My one complaint walking out was the setlist. Still there were some gems there, Burning Bright was incredible. Also on the written setlist it had them playing Somewhat Damaged, She's Gone Away and then Hurt. Not sure why we didn't get those. Other than that though, the band was tight, the venue was tiny and purposefully undersold and the mix after the first song was solid. Well worth the money and the drive.

I was there and totally agree. My one complaint walking out was the setlist. Still there were some gems there, Burning Bright was incredible. Also on the written setlist it had them playing Somewhat Damaged, She's Gone Away and then Hurt. Not sure why we didn't get those. Other than that though, the band was tight, the venue was tiny and purposefully undersold and the mix after the first song was solid. Well worth the money and the drive.

Yeah that's a bit of a prick tease. Somewhat Damaged live is fucking fire.

Less Than grew on me, I like it. Although it's completely different than the rest of the EP.

I really really dig The Lovers. Sounds like something that could have been on Hesitation Marks, and the piano along with the synthesizers was a good choice in giving it a darker, classic NIN sound.

This Isn't the Place is amazing, and as I and others have said before it could even sound like a collaboration with Thom Yorke.

I love Not Anymore. It sounds almost like they break into a desert rock jam.

Fragile has some of my favourites on it (the title track, Just Like You Imagined) but TDS is the better album. No filler, whereas Fragile could lose a few pounds and be a better album for it.

I'm a fan of Background World eating itself, that outro loop is stuck in my head right now...

kaskade

Yeah, I think I like this one better than NTAE. I always need to digest NIN though before I can make a proper opinion though.

The Background World, like The Great Destroyer on YZ, is an incredible song that I will never finish again.

I'm half tempted to cut off 5 min myself and do a little fadeout. Blasphemy, I know...but why you gotta combine something so catchy with something so annoying, Trent?

The Background World, like The Great Destroyer on YZ, is an incredible song that I will never finish again.

I'm half tempted to cut off 5 min myself and do a little fadeout. Blasphemy, I know...but why you gotta combine something so catchy with something so annoying, Trent?

Musically I don't think those 52 loops at the end are there to jam out to. There's a meaning to those 52 loops deteriorating over time. What is the significance to the 52? The weeks in a year? His age?

Turin

Banned
Sorry for the off topic bump but I hate how my favorite versions of some of Trent's songs can only be heard on youtube.

Gave Up in particular.

I would buy this in a hot minute. D:

Kodros

No kidding. I would even cut it off at the 3 minute mark. From there he just does his same old crap where he repeats a line for a minute or two and then that garbage ending. I get it, Trent thinks it's artistic or something but he needs to understand that people aren't sitting down in front of a record player with headphones trying to decipher the meaning of his music. Who's going to put this on in their car and listen to 7 minutes of distortion?

RedStep

I wish they'd release the old double VHS music video set on DVD or BR, or even just digital something.

They sort of did - a mysterious digital copy of the Closure DVD that was supposed to be released popped up on bittorrent around the time the release was canceled.

If you listen to the whispers on the wind, they say Trent may have had a hand in it...

Wikipedia said:
Fans speculate that Reznor may have been the source of this leak, based on a post on his official blog: "12/21/06 : Happy Holidays! This one is a guilt-free download. (shhhh - I didn't say that out loud). If you know what I'm talking about, cool."[3] This was later alluded to by Reznor, tongue-in cheek, during an interview: "A couple of years ago around this time of year, somebody must have broken into my personal files and uploaded onto a torrent site the entire DVD of Closure[...] So that basically means that it doesn't need to come out on DVD anymore."

I wish they'd release the old double VHS music video set on DVD or BR, or even just digital something.

Closure was supposed to get released on DVD in 2004 but never "officially" happened.

Someone in the NIN camp leaked the DVD images online. They may still be out there if you know where to look.

Menome

No kidding. I would even cut it off at the 3 minute mark. From there he just does his same old crap where he repeats a line for a minute or two and then that garbage ending. I get it, Trent thinks it's artistic or something but he needs to understand that people aren't sitting down in front of a record player with headphones trying to decipher the meaning of his music. Who's going to put this on in their car and listen to 7 minutes of distortion?

I'm seeing a bunch of people online coming up with theories on that track/the loops/why it's distorting. It's also my favourite track across both EPs and I listen to the full thing each time.

I'm seeing a bunch of people online coming up with theories on that track/the loops/why it's distorting. It's also my favourite track across both EPs and I listen to the full thing each time.

It is my favorite track too, but after he gets done singing "Are you sure.." there's a break, and I wish the distortion was kept to it's own track.

Oneself

That was indeed a great read. Love the part about him in adult events for his kids' school and thinking about his lyrics from his early work.

I had no idea he produced a hip-hop record with Saul Williams, WTF. Listening now on Spotify.
It includes many The Fragile leftovers including vocal melodies.

That was indeed a great read. Love the part about him in adult events for his kids' school and thinking about his lyrics from his early work.

I had no idea he produced a hip-hop record with Saul Williams, WTF. Listening now on Spotify.

That album was really good, even the U2 cover.

I really enjoyed this one, the only song I didn't care for is "Not Anymore" but its growing on me

"This isn't the place" & "The background world" are my standouts

I love Trents moody stuff

Top Bottom