• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nine Inch Nails EP: "ADD VIOLENCE". July 21st. New Video.

Wow. Hitting Radiohead territory with the new track. Wowowow.

There's a point before the song shifts gears and the singing starts that the electronic wailing (with some Trent vocals in the mix too) sounds just like Thom Yorke crooning. Made me do a double take.

Great song. Sounds right off The Fragile. Friday needs to hurry up!

"Special Thanks: The Nassal Company".

Did they make the simulation device? The show tomorrow is doing to be insane, I bet they'll have some ARG related stuff. I'm so jealous of everyone who will go there.

This speculation with this new panel on the back cover and in this new video is really awesome. Hope it does turn into another Year Zero like ARG.

Oh shit guys. I think this actually IS the follow up to the Year Zero ARG.

Not only is the drug in the video made by the same company that made Parepin in the Year Zero ARG, but:

The director and producer of the music video are Susan Bonds (CEO), and Alex Lieu (CCO). of 42 Entertianment (The Transmedia company that ran the Year Zero ARG).

This is finally fucking happening, and I'm SO STOKED!

This new one is even better, it manages to sound different enough from his other slow songs. I admit that all the Year Zero references are scaring me, since it's my least favorite album. Trent's dystopian future wasn't that original compared to others, but if he manages to make some quality sound and lyrics... well that would be awesome.

I'm revisiting Hesitation Marks for the first time in a while and what the hell is up with "Everything"? Haha. I had forgotten how bad it is. Like, all these distorted tracks with a presence and then he just breaks into I SURVIIIII-EEIIIIVE. "Satellite" is also pretty bad. Sounds like a Justin Timberlake song or something. The rest of the album is pretty good though.

What is Gaf's opinion on With Teeth? Most people I know say after The Fragile he's not as good but I still think With Teeth is excellent.

I'm revisiting Hesitation Marks for the first time in a while and what the hell is up with "Everything"? Haha. I had forgotten how bad it is. Like, all these distorted tracks with a presence and then he just breaks into I SURVIIIII-EEIIIIVE. "Satellite" is also pretty bad. Sounds like a Justin Timberlake song or something. The rest of the album is pretty good though.

What is Gaf's opinion on With Teeth? Most people I know say after The Fragile he's not as good but I still think With Teeth is excellent.
I really like With Teeth, but I prefer Hesitation Marks (and man, Satellite is dope to me, sounds like 80's NIN). With Teeth is seen as the moment he fully embraced his pop deviations, so it gets some hate but it still sounds good and polished. That's actually what I dislike about Year Zero, it felt less polished than the ARG around it.

I really like With Teeth, but I prefer Hesitation Marks (and man, Satellite is dope to me, sounds like 80's NIN). With Teeth is seen as the moment he fully embraced his pop deviations, so it gets some hate but it still sounds good and polished. That's actually what I dislike about Year Zero, it felt less polished than the ARG around it.

Haha there's something about Satellite that just sounds so un-NIN to me.

With Teeth still has some industrial rock vibes in it though. I think I'd rank it after The Fragile and Downward Spiral.

I could never get into Year Zero.

Everything is him trying to fulfill a contract and make the record label happy as he was told to create a greatest hits album and write two new songs for it. Instead, he decided to write an entire album. At least we get to hear TR imitating The Cure lol! IMO it's possibly the worst NIN track.

Satellite is a fantastic track! One of my favorites from HM! The use of elements and the mastering and layering is godlike.

With Teeth is a fantastic album! The Line Begins to Blur is my favorite!

Everything is him trying to fulfill a contract and make the record label happy as he was told to create a greatest hits album and write two new songs for it. Instead, he decided to write an entire album. At least we get to hear TR imitating The Cure lol! IMO it's possibly the worst NIN track.

Satellite is a fantastic track! One of my favorites from HM! The use of elements and the mastering and layering is godlike.

With Teeth is a fantastic album! The Line Begins to Blur is my favorite!

I should give Satellite another chance, to be sure.

The Line Begins to Blur is great. As is Sunspots, Right Where it Belongs, Home, You Know What you Are?, and The Collector. And Love is Not Enough... Oh did I name pretty much the whole album? Fuck the haters.

Luschient

The Line Begins to Blur is great. As is Sunspots, Right Where it Belongs, Home, You Know What you Are?, and The Collector. And Love is Not Enough... Oh did I name pretty much the whole album? Fuck the haters.

Yeah, WT is a great album. Line Begins to Blur is in my top 3 favorite NIN songs ever.

Luschient

Man, loving that new song. Great atmosphere.

If they are going in a political direction with this, the "I thought we had more time" line that's repeated a few times is fantastic.

bounchfx

new song is seriously one of the best ive heard in a decade from him

edit: I pretty much gave up on NiN when With-a Teeth-a came out. There's some songs on there I dont mind but overall, compared to his previous works it just felt like a joke to me. I'll have to give Year Zero a shot though it sounds like

new song is seriously one of the best ive heard in a decade from him

edit: I pretty much gave up on NiN when With-a Teeth-a came out. There's some songs on there I dont mind but overall, compared to his previous works it just felt like a joke to me. I'll have to give Year Zero a shot though it sounds like

Year Zero is a little closer to what I felt was 'classic NIN' sound, but with some With Teeth modern sensibilities. I also feel YZ was a stronger album than WT (although there are some good tracks on WT).

Bread

Banned
With Teeth is hated on unfairly, it's got some lame moments but there are some really really great tracks on there.

Year Zero is fuckin fantastic though. I can't wait for these 3 EPs to be out to listen to them as a whole along with YZ.

I'm so happy and so sad that it's a 5 track EP. I mean it gives us more EPs (15 new tracks including NTAE is amazing output by TR!), But I love YZ so much. This entire EP should've been a full length YZ2.

I'm so happy and so sad that it's a 5 track EP. I mean it gives us more EPs (15 new tracks including NTAE is amazing output by TR!), But I love YZ so much. This entire EP should've been a full length YZ2.
Perhaps once all three are out, there'll be some hidden order that they can be placed in, or as a whole, all three EPs will tell the entire vision. Either way... Love everything I've heard so far.

zerosum

With Teeth is solid. Probably the least focused of his work. It just really comes off as scattered. There's some great stuff in there, but a couple more duds than the rest of his work too.

With Teeth is the tits. People who don't like that album are weird.

Except for Getting Smaller. That song's not too good. He should have left Home or Non-Entity on instead.

Perhaps once all three are out, there'll be some hidden order that they can be placed in, or as a whole, all three EPs will tell the entire vision. Either way... Love everything I've heard so far.

Trent did say the plan is to tweak each song and reorder them so it's more cohesive as a full album. Probably won't materialize until March, if we are lucky.

Can't believe Non-Entity never made it onto an album.

Non-Entity and Not So Pretty Now are such fun tracks. Im just happy we got them studio quality.

AcridMeat

Banned
I remember ads for With Teeth being shown on Cartoon Network / Adult Swim all the time.

Funny my dad actually asked if I was getting the album, this was before I was a huge NIN fan.

Anyway I need to listen through Not The Actual Events again.

I have trouble really getting into modern NIN. It's weird. I just... can't. I feel the same with this track. It's just meh.

Same here. The last EP had a few gems that broke his trend of similar-sounding, simpler, less layered and less abrasive songs. This new song instantly sounded like a rehash of songs from The Slip or Year Zero, which to me, have always been his weakest and most uncreative of all albums IMO.

I dig the retro-ish synths though. This opinion brought to you by someone who lists The Downward Spiral as one of my all time favorite albums.

I couldn't disagree more. The Bush era had him ready to start a war I can't imagine what he is feeling now that he is father in the fucking Trump era. There is more to be angry about now more than ever.

Good point, I hope the rest of the songs are angry as fuck!

EDIT: This Isn't the Place is awesome! Moody and atmospheric.

Top Bottom