• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

I had a bit of a eye-opening monent and wanted to say that to this day I wasn't aware that the new 3DS XL... lets just say I was floored how much of a difference a IPS screen can make o.o I'm a happy new 3DS owner since EU release and love the system, it's the perfect size for me and everything, the displays never felt bad either. Well this was till a longtime friend of mine decided to buy a new 3DS XL, his first handheld since the original Gameboy, when he was over the other day I immediately checked for his display type and sure enough he lucked out and got a IPS variant. When he then booted up his copy of Alpha Sapphire I was amazed to see it in 3D on the XL IPS screen (minus the shoddy framerate in battle :p), in a direct comparison my new 3DS suddenly felt a bit dull and lifeless :(

So I wondered out of curiosity, are the any reports of new 3DS's manufactured with IPS screens?

Rich!

I had a bit of a eye-opening monent and wanted to say that to this day I wasn't aware that the new 3DS XL... lets just say I was floored how much of a difference a IPS screen can make o.o I'm a happy new 3DS owner since EU release and love the system, it's the perfect size for me and everything, the displays never felt bad either. Well this was till a longtime friend of mine decided to buy a new 3DS XL, his first handheld since the original Gameboy, when he was over the other day I immediately checked for his display type and sure enough he lucked out and got a IPS variant. When he then booted up his copy of Alpha Sapphire I was amazed to see it in 3D on the XL IPS screen (minus the shoddy framerate in bettle :p), in a direct comparison my new 3DS suddenly felt a bit dull and lifeless :(

So I wondered out of curiosity, are the any reports of new 3DS's manufactured with IPS screens?

The regular size? No.

I like my new XL but it's way overpriced with its shitty screen (even got ips!) and high weight. How is this a worthy hardware revision? Zstick is also lol worthy. Switching between this and my vita is rough.

El Odio

Banned
Upgraded from my OG 3DS since 2011 to a nice N3DS today. Won't be able to do a system transfer till thursday though since my microsd won't get in till then but despite the size hampering the portability of the thing I already feel good about the increase in screen size.

Etria

Upgraded from my OG 3DS since 2011 to a nice N3DS today. Won't be able to do a system transfer till thursday though since my microsd won't get in till then but despite the size hampering the portability of the thing I already feel good about the increase in screen size.

It's a well-justified upgrade! When I went from the OG to the n3DS, the increase in screen size, the nicer buttons, and a much less reflective screen were welcomed. I love how you can change the cover plates as well to give some personality to the handheld :)

Does anyone elses bottom coverplate seem loose, or at least quirk while holding your device?
Don't notice in on the regular new 3DS. Do not have an XL.
May cave in if they announce a pretty FE edition at E3.

Totally recommend the new regular 3DS. Might be my favorite handheld ever.

Download speed on the new systems is incredible. Animal Crossing took under 10 minutes, easy (maybe under 5 - but I was stunned either way)

ctfg23

I haven't seen any posted, so here are some pictures of the black N3DS XL with the gold backplate. Apologies for the shitty quality.
gCHWgS7.jpg

8Yp5laR.jpg
TPU Case:

Doombear

I have the same ones in black, and got them for that very reason myself. Most of them are not very grippy, but i really like the one with circles on it. I think it is #6 there. I have the keychain with that one and one other on it attached to my case. I just snap it on when I feel like it.

If I do a system transfer to a new 3DS XL, will the old 3DS still have the games and software installed on it?

I plan on giving my 3DS XL to my little brother when I upgrade but I'd like him to keep some of the games I bought as well.

Also, eShop money is tied to the account and not the device right?

Zimmy68

If I do a system transfer to a new 3DS XL, will the old 3DS still have the games and software installed on it?

I plan on giving my 3DS XL to my little brother when I upgrade but I'd like him to keep some of the games I bought as well.

Also, eShop money is tied to the account and not the device right?

Eshop is tied to account.

Once the transfer is complete, the old 3ds is wiped.
Nintendo did this specifically to avoid what you are trying to do.

Lucifon

I'm looking for cases for the New Nintendo 3DS (normal, not XL) for my girlfriend, but really struggling to find any.

Does anyone know of any good ones that fit the N3DS comfortably?

IS there a simple guide that outlines how to transfer from a N3DS to a PC?

I bought a 16 GB microSD card and had it reformatted to FAT32, but now I need to transfer the card data over... and Nintendo does not want to make trasferring to a PC simple.

Zing

Banned

I bought a 16 GB microSD card and had it reformatted to FAT32, but now I need to transfer the card data over... and Nintendo does not want to make trasferring to a PC simple.
Take card out of 3DS, put into PC. Then copy and paste entire contents of old card onto new card. Put new card into 3DS.

Jomjom

Banned
Is there a list anywhere of all the games that can take advantage of the New 3DS's improved hardware?

I don't mean games like Xenoblade, which can only be played on a N3DS, but rather games like MH4, which look way better on a N3DS.

Make sure to copy paste EVERY single file and folder on that SD card. I just had the problem yesterday, where I transferred only the folder named "Nintendo 3DS" (which is what Nintendo's tutorial video says to do), and it didn't work at all.

Zing

Banned
That is the only folder you need. The other folder is simply the photos taken with the camera and unnecessary. It doesn't matter, as you may as well just copy the photos as well, so copy the entire card.

Take card out of 3DS, put into PC. Then copy and paste entire contents of old card onto new card. Put new card into 3DS.

Then why does Nintendo make me do the access point bullshit?

I spent an hour trying to get my PC to recognize the access point.

rizzo0

Hey guys can you pleaseee link me the correct TPU case for the new 3ds XL? I'm confused whether to purchase the NA TPU one on Amazon or the Japanese TPU on Amazon. Is there even a difference? Thanks

Zing

Banned

Then why does Nintendo make me do the access point bullshit?

I spent an hour trying to get my PC to recognize the access point.
That is only for accessing your photos and music from the 3DS. It has nothing to do with game data. Have you read the manual?

That is only for accessing your photos and music from the 3DS. It has nothing to do with game data. Have you read the manual?

I went to Nintendo support and that led me to the access point advice.

Probably should've just read the manual, now that you mention it.

Rich!

Eh? It lets you access everything. I use the function for transferring homebrew back and forth!

I also used it to transfer my files from one 3DS to another after a system transfer. It worked.

The wireless access point option simply turns your 3DS into a network attached storage drive, via the SD card.

jaosobno

So, as per richie's recommendation, I've ordered N3DSXL grip and received it yesterday.

This is probably the best gaming accessory I've ever bought. While Hori TPU turned out to be somewhat shitty (specially the bottom part), I've removed the said part and replaced it with my new grip. Holy crap, does that thing add comfort! Entire handheld feels so much better in my hand, practically all of the buttons are more accessible and it's an absolute joy to use it! It feels sturdy, no chance of snapping it off. The only downside is that it completely blocks the cartridge slot, but I plan to buy all my games digitally anyway, so it's a non-issue for me.

Thanks for the tip, richie!

Rich!

So, as per richie's recommendation, I've ordered N3DSXL grip and received it yesterday.

This is probably the best gaming accessory I've ever bought. While Hori TPU turned out to be somewhat shitty (specially the bottom part), I've removed the said part and replaced it with my new grip. Holy crap, does that thing add comfort! Entire handheld feels so much better in my hand, practically all of the buttons are more accessible and it's an absolute joy to use it! It feels sturdy, no chance of snapping it off. The only downside is that it completely blocks the cartridge slot, but I plan to buy all my games digitally anyway, so it's a non-issue for me.

Thanks for the tip, richie!

No problem! Its awesome and ideal for longer gaming sessions. Makes it feel so much more robust, like the Wii U gamepad.

Lagamorph

Just got my N3DS XL.
Can't say I'm a fan of this having to take the back off to get at the MicroSD card. Seems unnecessarily fiddly really.

Lucifon

Still hunting for a N3DS (non-xl) case for the girlfriend and struggling to find any here in the UK :(

Just got my N3DS XL.
Can't say I'm a fan of this having to take the back off to get at the MicroSD card. Seems unnecessarily fiddly really.

It is fiddly but it's something you really shouldn't have to do very often. With how cheap 32/64 gig cards are now you can pretty much set and forget.

Lagamorph

It is fiddly but it's something you really shouldn't have to do very often. With how cheap 32/64 gig cards are now you can pretty much set and forget.

Yeah I've got a 64GB card so shouldn't need to do it again beyond the initial setup, but it still just seems a bit naff when the Vita has a much better implementation of using similar sized memory cards.

Yeah I've got a 64GB card so shouldn't need to do it again beyond the initial setup, but it still just seems a bit naff when the Vita has a much better implementation of using similar sized memory cards.

Sure, inconvenient.

How often are you planning to change your memory cards?

Lagamorph

Sure, inconvenient.

Hopefully not often.

Though my 64GB card isn't being recognised.
"The MicroSD card cannot be accessed"
Grrrr.....

EDIT - Card has to be in FAT32 format which Windows doesn't like on large volumes. Had to reformat the card into FAT32 using a third party app and now recognised by the N3DS. Phew.

DagsJT

Still hunting for a N3DS (non-xl) case for the girlfriend and struggling to find any here in the UK :(

I've got a Waterfield case which is really nice. Imported from the US and pricey so not the cheapest option but it's superb quality.

Lucifon

You may have to do what I did and get one from Japan.

I've got a Waterfield case which is really nice. Imported from the US and pricey so not the cheapest option but it's superb quality.

It's the import costs which really sting you. She's going to have it in the drawer most the time so it's really just for when we go away together so it's more secure. Only something basic and protective. Do normal 3DS cases fit or is it generally a risk? There just seems to be none for the normal non-xl N3DS.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, inconvenient.

I've gotten a "failed to read micro sd card" error a couple of times and had to open it back up and eject and re-insert the card. Probably gets jarred in my bag occasionally or something. Not a huge deal if at home, but sucks if I'm out with it since I'm not caring the little screw driver around.

DagsJT

It's the import costs which really sting you. She's going to have it in the drawer most the time so it's really just for when we go away together so it's more secure. Only something basic and protective. Do normal 3DS cases fit or is it generally a risk? There just seems to be none for the normal non-xl N3DS.

Maybe try this?

I had it for a little while and it worked fine for me, although it does leave corners exposed a little. Fits nicely though.

Pachimari

I received my Hori screen protectors and they are perfect for the regular sized New 3DS.

Unfortunately, I have found out, that I need to pay taxes for the GameCube adapter and Puyo Puyo Tetris (PS4) ugh.

Doombear

I don't suppose you know a good grip for the smaller N3DS?

I swear there was a n3DS version of the XL/LL grip that Rich and I have, but I am only seeing this one now.

Looks similar, but not identical.

EDIT: So... the title says new 3DS, but the description refers to both 3DS and 3DS XL... so who knows which this one is for.

Top Bottom