• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Xamdou

Just got a brand spanking new Majora's Mask New 3DS XL from my local bestbuy today! Cashier said they just got em today, they had three initially but now they got's two after I left the building.

Didn't know where to post this.

I was fortunate enough to get a Majoras Mask n3DSXL.
I love it, but unfortunately I don't know if I have a problem or not.

When I plug the console in to charge the 3ds is charging, but the charging LED indicator does not come on at all. But when I look at the battery icon onscreen it says its charging.

Should I be concerned?

jaosobno

Can't decide between normal size and XL. Which one is more comfortable to use/hold?

When in doubt, go big.

I had this same dilemma, only to finally decide to go with XL. Never regretted my decision. Regular size would be too small (I have large hands), plus I can't imagine playing some games (MH4, Fire Emblem) on a small screen. Hell, I even bought additional grip which made it bigger and even more comfortable to hold.

I had sold my 3DS XL back in January in anticipation for the N3DS release. I had my NNID tied to that system that I sold, but had wiped it clean before sending it off in the mail. If I called Nintendo, would they be able to unlink my NNID from the old system so I can use it on my new one or do I have to send in my system to do that? I can't wait for Nintendo to finally get on their unified system that is not tied to consoles with our ID's, so archaic.

you have to email them with a few details but i can't recall the email address. If you use the email contact system on their website they will sort it. They sorted it for me eventually

B-Ri

Question ...

I cant seem to find reliable docs on it online. I got the New 3DS at launch, and was sad cause I missed out on the limited edition Majoras Mask N3DS's.

I just got my hands on one! How do i transfer the data from my N3DS to my MMN3DS? I cant just swap the SD cards right?

Any Recommended micro sd cards for this? Or good ideas to get the most out of trade ins for the console as well?
Edit: I see the sd car recomendation in the op now lol, but second question still stands, unless there are other good recomendations anyway

Question ...

I cant seem to find reliable docs on it online. I got the New 3DS at launch, and was sad cause I missed out on the limited edition Majoras Mask N3DS's.

I just got my hands on one! How do i transfer the data from my N3DS to my MMN3DS? I cant just swap the SD cards right?
Pretty sure it's a system transfer just like its expressed in the OT. Especially since if you don't you'll probably have a completely different friend code as well (and loose everything ) always better to be safe than sorry

Zing

Banned
Is there a big difference in screen quality between New and old XL model?

Short answer: no.

Long answer (don't read if you feel ignorance is bliss):
My experience is if you get a TN LCD panel, the quality is the same. The old XL screen is a TN panel and is great.

If you get an IPS panel, it is subjective, but many people feel it is superior, myself included.

Going by anecdotal evidence, you will almost certainly get an IPS panel if you buy a new XL, but there is a chance of a TN.

Chitown B

My experience is if you get a TN LCD panel, the quality is the same. The old XL screen is a TN panel and is great.

If you get an IPS panel, it is subjective, but many people feel it is superior, myself included.

Going by anecdotal evidence, you will almost certainly get an IPS panel if you buy a new XL, but there is a chance of a TN.

wait, the N3DS comes with two types of panels?

2 months.

It's been 2 months and I can't find a single quality hard or soft case for the XL!

I hate having to use the sleeve from the box to protect it.

Why don't any retailers have protective cases for the new XL?

How can you tell what it is?

2 months.

It's been 2 months and I can't find a single quality hard or soft case for the XL!

I use this for my XL and my nXL. Love it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050SVPCO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Mercutio

2 months.

I've used the Club Nintendo pouch for years. That thing is wonderful.

jyoung188

Wow. I upgraded from a blue 3ds xl to a black new 3ds xl last week and it is a huge improvement! The materials and look of the hardware is so much more grown up and premium feeling. I love having the c stick for MH4U and I now constantly have the 3d maxed when before I would turn it off 99% of the time due to the ridiculously small dead zone on the old xl. For anyone on the fence, like I was, I'd say it's a worth while upgrade!

chugs

Neo Member
Wow. I upgraded from a blue 3ds xl to a black new 3ds xl last week and it is a huge improvement! The materials and look of the hardware is so much more grown up and premium feeling. I love having the c stick for MH4U and I now constantly have the 3d maxed when before I would turn it off 99% of the time due to the ridiculously small dead zone on the old xl. For anyone on the fence, like I was, I'd say it's a worth while upgrade!

Completely agreed! When I got my 3DS XL it was the first Nintendo product I've ever purchased that didn't feel like high quality. It creeked when I opened it, and the plastic felt overall very low quality. Even just opening it the hinge sounded like it was going to snap.

The N3DSXL really brough it back to the quality feel that the original 3DS had. Extremely happy with my upgrade. Now to not be so addicted to Fantasy Life :(

Zing

Banned
2 months.

Club Nintendo has had three types of soft pouches over the past few years. I use a red or blue pouch, and my daughter uses a pink animal crossing pouch. You can still find these on eBay.

Zing

Banned
I warned you guys. Ignorance is bliss. You just had to click it, didn't you.

But seriously, if you buy an XL you will most likely get an IPS screen. If you don't, it no big deal, as the TN screen has its own advantages.

If you have a regular n3DS then the odds are reversed. You will most likely have TN.

ecurbj

New n3DS XL owner here. I just purchased it at Best Buy a few hours ago. I have an original 3DS XL that I rarely used. I didn't download any games from eShop or played any games digitally. But I did download some apps like YouTube on the original 3DS.

How do I go about signing in on the new n3DS XL? As in my Nintendo account ID? Do I just sign out on my original 3DS XL and sign in on my n3DS XL and just go about gaming or am I missing something?

Sorry in advance if this question has been answered a million times or beaten to death :(

EDIT: Answered my own question! Solved :)

So awhile back, Gamestop sort of rushed me out the door with one of their universal DS/3DS chargers. It works, but....the cable is pretty short.

Is the official Nintendo 3DS charger any longer, or should I stick with the one they gave me (this is my first 3DS ever, btw, so not familiar with the official chargers).

ecurbj

So awhile back, Gamestop sort of rushed me out the door with one of their universal DS/3DS chargers. It works, but....the cable is pretty short.

Is the official Nintendo 3DS charger any longer, or should I stick with the one they gave me (this is my first 3DS ever, btw, so not familiar with the official chargers).
The official Nintendo 3DS charger is longer.

Portugeezer

Shiiiet, just snagged a New 3DS for ~£110 w/ a charger (had one, but makes it easier to sell old 3ds with charger).

Excited to play Xenoblade on a handheld (JRPG's and portable systems were made for eachother)

Yrael

God, I'm glad I put the Duraflexi case on my n3DS XL - I went and bashed it on the corner of a table by mistake. Not a single scratch to the system. Phew!

Etria

Shiiiet, just snagged a New 3DS for ~£110 w/ a charger (had one, but makes it easier to sell old 3ds with charger).

Excited to play Xenoblade on a handheld (JRPG's and portable systems were made for eachother)

Nice! It's a huge improvement over the original in my opinion. Enjoy Xenoblade! Playing through it right now, and it is glorious. You're in for a treat.

EDIT: I mean that the n3DS is a huge improvement over the original 3DS. Wasn't clear enough.

Portugeezer

Oh, I meant the n3DS compared to the original 3DS. I'll edit my post to make it clearer!

Oh, right. I look forward to using it, extra battery and 3D eye tracking is already good for me. Haven't used my 3DS in over a year now so it will feel fresh regardless, there are a few big games I need to play!

Hopefully there will be more games using n3DS's features, there doesn't seem to be many.

Etria

Oh, right. I look forward to using it, extra battery and 3D eye tracking is already good for me. Haven't used my 3DS in over a year now so it will feel fresh regardless, there are a few big games I need to play!

Hopefully there will be more games using n3DS's features, there doesn't seem to be many.

Yeah, give it time and I'm sure that more games using those features will become available.

Converse

Banned
2 months.

Etsy might be worth a look. You can find dozens of (mostly soft) cases made for the XL, or you can do what I did and look for a pouch that just has the right dimensions. I was frustrated that all of the available cases were ugly as sin, so I ordered this one:

il_570xN.606413667_3bsc.jpg

Cotton lined, fits like a glove. Thirteen dollars later, I have a one-of-a-kind case and I've supported an artist. Really pleased with it.

wilflare

Thanks for the link :)
Wow, you're right about the pricing! I'll consider it sometime down the line. Too bad there's no case in the size of the regular n3DS.

EDIT: On closer inspection, they do have it for the regular 3DS!

think of it as an investment - it's well worth it :)

Etsy might be worth a look. You can find dozens of (mostly soft) cases made for the XL, or you can do what I did and look for a pouch that just has the right dimensions. I was frustrated that all of the available cases were ugly as sin, so I ordered this one:

il_570xN.606413667_3bsc.jpg

Cotton lined, fits like a glove. Thirteen dollars later, I have a one-of-a-kind case and I've supported an artist. Really pleased with it.

I love the look of this case:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/200601...ga_search_query=3ds xl case&ref=sr_gallery_30

94 dollars is high...

I just unboxed my brand new New 3DS, put on screen protectors... and then discovered that the circle pad makes snapping noises when you slide it in certain ways - like there's something stuck underneath. :(

Is this normal? Will it go away after use, or do I have to call Nintendo? :/

Top Bottom