• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Zing

Banned
Yeah, they're scratches. They happened to my XL as well. Fortunately, I had a screen protector over the top installed. Damned stupid design.
Actually, screen protectors virtually guarantee that the screen will rub and scratch the protector. The extra thickness of the protector causes it. In the original thread about this issue, there were many reports of "scratching" with protector, but no rubbing of the screen after they removed the protector.

Might need some help. I just bought a 16 GB MiniSD card for my N3DS and did the wireless management technique. I put the new card in the N3DS, transferred all the stuff to the new one but my N3DS won't read it. Is there something I have to do first?

wilflare

Might need some help. I just bought a 16 GB MiniSD card for my N3DS and did the wireless management technique. I put the new card in the N3DS, transferred all the stuff to the new one but my N3DS won't read it. Is there something I have to do first?

just to check - you mean microSD right?
what's the error message on your new3DS?

Rich!

Actually, screen protectors virtually guarantee that the screen will rub and scratch the protector. The extra thickness of the protector causes it. In the original thread about this issue, there were many reports of "scratching" with protector, but no rubbing of the screen after they removed the protector.

I've had screen protectors on my New XL since I got it in November last year, its had regular use and so far the screen protectors are still flawless.

It may have been an issue on the old models with them, but theres enough clearance between the halves on the new models.

just to check - you mean microSD right?
what's the error message on your new3DS?

Yes MicroSD. No error message, just tells me I have no save data even though I can see the blocks are being used by the old data. I'm redownloading MH4U right now.

EDIT: Tried again and now getting corrupted data messages when restoring back up data.

Chitown B

you have to leave the card in the original NDS while transferring the licenses. It'll change the licenses on the card. Then pull out the card, move the data to the new microSD, and put it in the new system.

you have to leave the card in the original NDS while transferring the licenses. It'll change the licenses on the card. Then pull out the card, move the data to the new microSD, and put it in the new system.
So basically, I need a MicroSD adapter for my PC? What do I do exactly to change the license? Just do another wireless transfer to a PC or is there another method?
Good lord I wish this was easier to do.

Chitown B

So basically, I need a MicroSD adapter for my PC? What do I do exactly to change the license? Just do another wireless transfer to a PC or is there another method?
Good lord I wish this was easier to do.

that or you can do it over wifi but it take forevers. Sorry, I should have mentioned there are other options. I have a microSD adapter to an SD.

that or you can do it over wifi but it take forevers. Sorry, I should have mentioned there are other options. I have a microSD adapter to an SD.
No it's cool. Thanks for the help. I think I'll borrow an adapter from a friend so it doesn't take forever and I don't have to wait to see if it works. Thanks again, I'll try it tonight.

Pachimari

Oh yeah, finally got Kid Icarus: Uprising and Fire Emblem: Awakening. Just gotta rebuy Ocarina of Time 3D.

Any other games besides the three mentioned, that are rare?

Shiina

Does anyone know a good way to remove screen protectors from a 3DS? Especially the bottom screen. I tried scotch tape but it didn't work very well.

OmegaFax

Does anyone know a good way to remove screen protectors from a 3DS? Especially the bottom screen. I tried scotch tape but it didn't work very well.

Use the numbered tabs that come with the screen protectors to wedge under a corner to separate the screen protector from the screen.

alf717

I'm thinking about upgrading my New 3DS microSD. Can I buy any brand, or should be aware of incompatibilities?

Nintendo seems to support San Disk models on their website. I think any one should work. Try to stay away from the knock off brands though.

This has been bugging me a bit. My New 3DS top screen wobbles and can move slightly from right to left. It still clicks in place but the right to left thing is kind of what bothers me the most. I read this is common but should I be concerned with it braking? I also developed some bubbles on my circle pad. I can't keep my thumb from slipping of the darn thing. I seem to have very oily fingers. I even wash my hands now before playing the 3DS and have even considered wearing some sort of gloves like vinyl gloves. My circle pad is like a sponge.

I'm American and still pissed about the fact that I can only buy the XL here. Its too big for my pockets.

If I import a New Nintendo 3DS (non-XL) can I still play my carts? Or do I have to repurchase them? I know I can't use the e-Store or whatever...

wiibomb

I'm American and still pissed about the fact that I can only buy the XL here. Its too big for my pockets.

If I import a New Nintendo 3DS (non-XL) can I still play my carts? Or do I have to repurchase them? I know I can't use the e-Store or whatever...

no.

all 3ds system are region locked, so you would need t buy japanese/european specific games as well as pay the eshop prices of those regions (because the store is, of course, locked to each region)

Xenoflare

Uhh.... The paint job on my red new XL is kinda shoddy. The seam between the top screen and the top shell has a black "gap" to it but upon close inspection it's just shoddy paint job.

This is triggering my OCD :(

Pachimari

So is anyone else's dpad a little loose? Like how you can move it slightly up and down, such that you can see the white material underneath?

I have a regular sized N3DS.

Rich!

Wanted this for a while now. Saw it in GAME yesterday and couldn't resist

oublpx.JPG

ufrirk.JPG

Kirby faceplate!

Xenoflare

Cross post myself from another thread.

Anyone tried to exchange a N3dsxl in Canadian Best buy because of the TN panel? The thing that is preventing me from doing this is because I already did the system transfer which means I have to wait for a week for every unit I go through.

This is really, really pissing me off. I watched numerous reviews when it first came out in Japan and it mentioned how the new screen is more vibrant, and now I have this.

To make matters worse, the bottom and the top screen are not calibrated the same. The bottom screen has a cooler tone.

Are the IPS screens a thing for the launch batch or it's completely a lottery?

Zing

Banned
On IPS models, the two screens are even more different in tone. If that bothers you, the TN model is the better choice. I've come to just accept it. It doesn't matter for 3DS games, since none use them as a single split-screen display as with the original DS.

I wouldn't stress about it. If you have no other screen defects, consider yourself fortunate and enjoy the games.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Cross post myself from another thread.

Anyone tried to exchange a N3dsxl in Canadian Best buy because of the TN panel? The thing that is preventing me from doing this is because I already did the system transfer which means I have to wait for a week for every unit I go through.

This is really, really pissing me off. I watched numerous reviews when it first came out in Japan and it mentioned how the new screen is more vibrant, and now I have this.

To make matters worse, the bottom and the top screen are not calibrated the same. The bottom screen has a cooler tone.

Are the IPS screens a thing for the launch batch or it's completely a lottery?

Just enjoy the screen you have. I've been through 5 consoles all with dead pixels and I just wish I had one without flaws, whether it's IPS or not. Both screens are a big improvement over the old XL, just be thankful you got a flaw-free screen. The QA on these new models is abysmal.

Xenoflare

On IPS models, the two screens are even more different in tone. If that bothers you, the TN model is the better choice. I've come to just accept it. It doesn't matter for 3DS games, since none use them as a single split-screen display as with the original DS.

I wouldn't stress about it. If you have no other screen defects, consider yourself fortunate and enjoy the games.

Just enjoy the screen you have. I've been through 5 consoles all with dead pixels and I just wish I had one without flaws, whether it's IPS or not. Both screens are a big improvement over the old XL, just be thankful you got a flaw-free screen. The QA on these new models is abysmal.

I know, this wouldn't bother me at all if there is no IPS/TN difference, but seeing those MH4 screenshots they really make me feel cheated.

How is the TN on the new XL better than the old one? Granted I never owned an old XL so I can't compare.

Big Nikus

Is it me or does the New 3DS XL upscale the old DS games way better than the original 3DS XL did ? I'm playing Order of Ecclesia and it looks pretty good. On the 3DS XL it looked really bad, colors washed out and blurry, but on the new one it looks as good as it did on a DSi XL.
I was playing in native resolution but now I think I'm gonna stick with the fullscreen.

Shizuka

Can you guys help me? I want to come up with "better on New 3DS" list, but I can't find enough information regarding those.

I've read that Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is one, same for Code Name STEAM, but are there any others?

Can you guys help me? I want to come up with "better on New 3DS" list, but I can't find enough information regarding those.

I've read that Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is one, same for Code Name STEAM, but are there any others?
Super Smash Brothers.

There's been several indie games that have been updated to take advantage of the increase of buttons and better 3D (Moon Chronicles, Shantae) and at least one that now runs more smoothly. (Retro City Rampage)

javadoze

Stretchmo runs in 30 fps on regular 3DS and 60 fps on new3DS.

Shizuka

So far:

Better on New 3DS:

- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate;
- Code Name STEAM;
- Super Smash Brothers;
- Stretchmo;
- Moon Chronicles;
- Shantae and the Pirate's Curse;
- Retro City Rampage DX.

Feel free to add more games, I'll keep compiling to this list until there is a good list to share in a topic of its own.

Shiina

So far:

Feel free to add more games, I'll keep compiling to this list until there is a good list to share in a topic of its own.

Depending on what you consider as 'better' you could add MM 3D to the list because you can use the nipple for better camera controls.

wilflare

hmm do people still post here?
for those of you with a New 3DS XL
when I first got mine, I remember there's no wobble at all.
now there's a slight wobble

is that normal?

Seanspeed

Banned
Is it me or does the New 3DS XL upscale the old DS games way better than the original 3DS XL did ? I'm playing Order of Ecclesia and it looks pretty good. On the 3DS XL it looked really bad, colors washed out and blurry, but on the new one it looks as good as it did on a DSi XL.
I was playing in native resolution but now I think I'm gonna stick with the fullscreen.
Improved screen(IPS vs TN) sounds like it could be culprit.

Anyways, I'm *loving* the New 3DS XL I got. First 3DS I've owned, so lots to catch up on. Finished A Link Between Worlds, which is one of the best Zelda games ever. Still early in Mario 3D Land, but it's amazingly creative.

I cant get over how good the 3D is and how much it adds. Between this and VR, I'm already feeling the beginnings of the 'flat screens feel outdated' mentality creeping in. The resolution does not bother me whatsoever, and I was worried it would coming from my higher end PC, downsampling games from 4k, plus playing around on my 400ppi smartphone. Art style truly is king, and the 3D adds more to the graphics than any increase in IQ would.

I was also worried about comfort, as I heard some concerning rumblings about how there was no good way to hold the system and it was giving everybody hand cramps. No such problems here. So far, at least.

Device itself feels very solidly built and it makes my DS Lite look and feel positively cheap by comparison.

Playing games on my smartphone for a while and not really digging it, I was beginning to think maybe I just wasn't feeling handheld gaming as much as I used to. Well, this 3DS showed me it's mainly that I needed a great handheld device to get me back in. Don't want to spend time shitting on smartphone gaming, but I still cant get by the feeling that gaming is just kind of a shoe-horned functionality, whereas a purpose built gaming handheld is much more enjoyable.

So super happy. I spent a bit more than I wanted just so I could order from Amazon, as I wanted the great return policy in case I got a lousy TN panel, but I got an IPS so it's all gravy. Anyways feels good to be back! I'll be starting SMT4 here next I think, playing Mario bits in between. My first SMT game.

Rootbeer

Banned
Amazon.com is now carrying the New 3DS XL (and in Red). Not a third party seller.

I know amazon has had spotty moments where you could buy Nintendo consoles/handhelds from them in recent years, I myself witnessed them having a supply of 3DSs a while back but they sold out and never restocked it again. Was it a fluke?

Wonder if they will stock it regularly now or if it's just another fluke occurrence of them receiving some stock and deciding to sell it rather than send it back or some other alternative.

Tablo

That's awesome that Amazon is selling them directly now, I usually have good experience going that route. And they finally cleared out the bad reviews based on the scalpers/inflated prices.
Hopefully they're still selling them when I go for it in a few weeks probably. Buying a 2DS was a mistake, I just don't use the damn thing because I prefer clamshell, bad way to save 70$ at the time :( lesson learned don't cheap out.

Wow, I really don't know what to think right now, but I'm 90% sure that I have completely lost my MM 3DS XL. This is so upsetting because I had to go through hell just to get my girlfriend and myself one when it released. I've looked in my room and even went through her place, and nothing. I don't know where it's at.

Thankfully I have the Monster Hunter 4 3DS XL, but I need to somehow contact Nintendo and see if they can transfer all my purchased content into the console. This also unfortunately means that I have completely lost all my saves and even my progress for the Mii Plaza games. Ugh!

Shiina

Is the battery kind of bad on this or did i get a dud?

I felt it was better than in the O3DS but that may have just been because I was using the adaptive brightness setting. I would have rated it N3DS XL > Vita 1000 >>> O3DS XL. You should be able to get a comfortable 5h out of it on a full charge, especially if you have the new adaptive brightness turned on.

I felt it was better than in the O3DS but that may have just been because I was using the adaptive brightness setting. I would have rated it N3DS XL > Vita 1000 >>> O3DS XL. You should be able to get a comfortable 5h out of it on a full charge, especially if you have the new adaptive brightness turned on.
Adaptive brightness is one of the most horrible features I've experienced on a Nintendo handheld. It's ridiculously sensitive and isn't a seamless transition. It's so obvious when it happens and it can happen numerous times within the space of a few seconds, make it a bit jarring.

Shiina

Adaptive brightness is one of the most horrible features I've experienced on a Nintendo handheld. It's ridiculously sensitive and isn't a seamless transition. It's so obvious when it happens and it can happen numerous times within the space of a few seconds, make it a bit jarring.

It's not so bad if the brightness around you is stable but I can imagine it to be pretty bad when it's not.

It's not so bad if the brightness around you is stable but I can imagine it to be pretty bad when it's not.
The brightness around me was stable, it's just that any little movement of the system seemed to result in a brightness adjustment. I thought it was a faulty system, but I'd bought two for my nieces and tried both, same result. I remember a fair few complaints on GAF at the time.

Iced

Has anyone found anything like this on their New 3DS XL? Weird piece of plastic (?) lodged between the hinges. I have no clue what it is, but it took a bit of tugging to remove it. It's about the size of your pinky fingernail.

hlvTYja.jpg

MisterJoynt

Neo Member
Mu apologies if this has been asked already, but 122 pages seems a bit daunting.

I designed a Decal Girl skin for my n3DS XL, and recently picked up the highly recommended Hori screen protectors. My issue is that the Decal Girl skin covers up a portion of the screen bezel that the Hori protector would normally rest on, as such it obviously doesn't fit. Other than trimming down a new protector, does anyone know of any screen protectors that would fit snuggly within this smaller size?

Thanks guys!

image_zpszhb7bo4x.jpg

image_zps8x24iitg.jpg

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Having a N3DS XL shipping to me soon. I have a question regarding the formatting of the microsd card. I'm getting a 32gb card. What file format should I format it to?

Top Bottom