• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Another question. Is there anyway to keep 1:1 mode on for DS games or do I have to always hold the keys when I start a DS game?

Santiako

Another question. Is there anyway to keep 1:1 mode on for DS games or do I have to always hold the keys when I start a DS game?

You always need to hold either select or start (no need to hold both) when starting a game, for some reason there is not an option to always start at 1:1

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
You always need to hold either select or start (no need to hold both) when starting a game, for some reason there is not an option to always start at 1:1

Thanks. Was hoping they've changed it for the N3DS.

Raiden

Banned
Was looking for a thread to ask this so i bumped this one. I have a 3ds with mario on it pre installed. Recently bought a new 3ds and was wondering if i could transfer it to my new one?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Was looking for a thread to ask this so i bumped this one. I have a 3ds with mario on it pre installed. Recently bought a new 3ds and was wondering if i could transfer it to my new one?
Yep you will transfer the licence for the game along with your nnid.

After that you'll either have to redownload the game on your n3DS or just find a way to transfer all the data from the 3DS SD card to the n3DS micro SD card.

Tillbo

Does anyone know, is there any difference at all with the Ambassador 3DS systems other than the unique cover plate?

I wondered if there was anything on the system itself?

Raiden

Banned
Yep you will transfer the licence for the game along with your nnid.

After that you'll either have to redownload the game on your n3DS or just find a way to transfer all the data from the 3DS SD card to the n3DS micro SD card.
Great! Thanks!

Champagne

Banned
I was thinking about picking up a New 3DS (I've never owned a 3DS before) mainly to relax and smoke some weed and play Animal Crossing after work. Is it worth the money? I was reading the rumors regarding the next Nintendo hardware, which sounds like it could be a new handheld coming out later this year, and was thinking maybe I should wait for that to come out and scoop up a 3DS for cheap.

tiijj

I was thinking about picking up a New 3DS (I've never owned a 3DS before) mainly to relax and smoke some weed and play Animal Crossing after work. Is it worth the money? I was reading the rumors regarding the next Nintendo hardware, which sounds like it could be a new handheld coming out later this year, and was thinking maybe I should wait for that to come out and scoop up a 3DS for cheap.

Well it's not guaranteed a handheld and they wouldn't even talk about it until next year. Who knows when it will come out.

Volotaire

NX won't be talked about until next year (Nintendo has stated repeatedly). This means an early 2016 - mid 2016 reveal of what NX platform is. We don't know if they will unveil the handheld pillar of it first, the home console version, both, the streaming functionality, a cheap ARM powered box or if it is completely different to what people are speculating. The manufacturing rumours from supply chains in the Digitimes article said Nintendo are gearing up to manufacture a new platform for next year in which mass production starts in May or June. Although it has erroneous/ridiculous initial quotas, Q3/Q4 2016 is the earliest the system could releases.

I'm in a similar predicament. I have no idea what Nintendo will release next year, but want to purchase an N3DS now since I have not owned one before. I usually purchase video game systems at the earliest about a year or two after launch so I should be OK for this investment.

As for a new revision, who knows. The trend for revisions to the 3DS have been a timespan of 1 year - 1 year 3 months.

Here's a post of mine a from a year ago with the New3DS included dates.

Since the DSi (and including the 3DS releases) each DS revision has come out 1 year - 1 year 3 months after. The 3DS releases have had 1 year 3/4 months release between them. If we're following this trend, there could be one at the end of this year/start of next year. The former is the better bet. I hope earlier than this, because I'm looking to purchase a 3DS this summer.
New 3DS/New 3DS XL:
JP: 11 October 2014
AUS: 21 November 2014
EU: Ambassador: 6 January 2015 ; Normal: 13 February 2015
NA: Normal: 13 February 2015

2DS:
NA/EU/AUS: October 2013
KR December 2013

3DS XL:
JP 28 July 2012
EU 28 July 2012
NA 19 August 2012
AUS 23 August 2012

3DS:
JP 26 February 2011
EU 25 March 2011
NA 27 March 2011
AUS 31 March 2011

DSi XL:
JP 21 November 2009
EU 5 March 2010
NA 28 March 2010
AUS 15 April 2010

DSi:
JP 1 November 2008
AUS 2 April 2009
EU 3 April 2009
NA 5 April 2009

The 2DS to new 3DS revision time span for their introduction was 1 year counting early Japan/AUS release. However, the 2DS was never released to the Japanese market.

thenexus6

Just got a new 3DS (not XL), some observations

- Stylus is wayy to small
- Power button is hard to press
- 3D is better
- It's overall pretty uncomfortable to hold
- Not limited to the "new" model but the circle pad is really weird to use. Doesn't feel nice to use

I only got it because I managed to find a killer deal, but seems the XL would've been a better choice for comfort.

Volotaire

Any quick overview on the non xl and xl model differences from someone with somewhat big hands?

- Price
- Battery Life: N3DS 3.5- 6 hours for 3DS games vs. N3DSXL 3.5 hours to 7 hours
- Cover Plates: N3DS only has the cover plates customisability
- Design: N3DS has a all matte finish. N3DSXl has a glossy outside and matte inside. The N3DS a solid black while the N3DSXl, they have metallic like colours.
- Screen: 171PPI N3DSXL vs.215 PPI N3DS top screen
- Size: N3DS 3.88in top 3D screen, 3.33in touchscreen (bigger than the OG 3DS). N3DSXL 4.88in top screen 4.18in touchscreen
- Buttons: N3DS has Dreamcast/SNES styled coloured buttons. N3DSXL has the letters on the buttons coloured.

- Price
- Battery Life: N3DS 3.5- 6 hours for 3DS games vs. N3DSXL 3.5 hours to 7 hours
- Cover Plates: N3DS only has the cover plates customisability
- Design: N3DS has a all matte finish. N3DSXl has a glossy outside and matte inside. The N3DSXL a solid black inside the N3DSXl, they have metallic like colours.
- Screen: 171PPI N3DSXL vs.215 PPI N3DS top screen
- Size: N3DS 3.88in top 3D screen, 3.33in touchscreen (bigger than the OG 3DS). N3DSXL 4.88in top screen 4.18in touchscreen
- Buttons: N3DS has Dreamcast/SNES styled coloured buttons. N3DSXL has the letters on the buttons coloured.

Nah I meant more in terms of feel and comfyness, but still good info though, thanks

illusionary

Does anyone happen to have an email address for the Nintendo UK Service Centre? The email contact form on their website has been broken for a while.

illusionary

Have you used this website? http://www.nintendoservicecentre.co.uk/contact-us/

There's a chat web option and an email form.

Try calling them as well?

Yep, that's exactly what I've tried. The email form just goes to a "page not found" page when submitting and the chat button doesn't do anything. I've tried on every browser that I have with the same result. :(

I'd prefer to use a written format to contact them, but yep, I may have to call them instead if I can find time during the day tomorrow.

Just picked one of those up for my kid for his birthday. I'm pretty impressed with it as an item for kids. Its like a really cheap iPad for kids lol.

Anyways I need some game recommendations. I picked up mario 3d land and I'll likely pick up the Zelda games. What else is good here?

Anything 3 else I need to known?

illusionary

Just picked one of those up for my kid for his birthday. I'm pretty impressed with it as an item for kids. Its like a really cheap iPad for kids lol.

Anyways I need some game recommendations. I picked up mario 3d land and I'll likely pick up the Zelda games. What else is good here?

Anything 3 else I need to known?

Great decision - you should have happy a child now!

As for recommendations, there's a lot out there. Some initial suggestions:
Bravely Default
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

Pokemon X/Y/OR/AS
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
Pushmo/Crashmo/Stretchmo

There's then the entirety of the original DS library, which shouldn't be overlooked. Here's another recent thread for recommendations there: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1081363

Way late to this thread, so I know these have been asked before. I'm reading through, but 60+ pages takes time.

I have a M&L 3DSXL that I have used a 4GB SD card in since I got it. I just bought a 32GB microSD in anticipation of doing the Gamestop deal this week. Dream Team was preinstalled, is that loaded on the console memory or the card memory? Would it move over to the N3DSXL on the card? I've read the FAQ, it's really super easy as everyone says?

I'm of two minds about trading in the M&L edition. Not that I care terribly about the actual console, I do, but the case I have is absolutely fantastic - the Rocketfish Slim case. Is it silly of me to not want to trade because of a friggin case?

illusionary

Have you used this website? http://www.nintendoservicecentre.co.uk/contact-us/

There's a chat web option and an email form.

Try calling them as well?
For others' benefit, customer-support@nintendo.co.uk is apparently the way to go.

Way late to this thread, so I know these have been asked before. I'm reading through, but 60+ pages takes time.

I have a M&L 3DSXL that I have used a 4GB SD card in since I got it. I just bought a 32GB microSD in anticipation of doing the Gamestop deal this week. Dream Team was preinstalled, is that loaded on the console memory or the card memory? Would it move over to the N3DSXL on the card? I've read the FAQ, it's really super easy as everyone says?

I'm of two minds about trading in the M&L edition. Not that I care terribly about the actual console, I do, but the case I have is absolutely fantastic - the Rocketfish Slim case. Is it silly of me to not want to trade because of a friggin case?
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/p/430/a_id/699

All pre-installed applications transfer to system B.

I'm assuming that you'd be using the System Transfer process, in which case you'll be fine - the transfer may just take a little while depending on how you go about it.

Can you not use the same case on the new system? I'm not sure that I quite follow the concern here, sorry. It's worth noting that you may need to have the old system available when you do the system transfer, which may impact on your ability to trade in.

hmm :X anyone knows the NoA contact if you have problems w eShop codes or something?
I'd suggest that you start here: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/ask

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/p/430/a_id/699

All pre-installed applications transfer to system B.

I'm assuming that you'd be using the System Transfer process, in which case you'll be fine - the transfer may just take a little while depending on how you go about it.

Can you not use the same case on the new system? I'm not sure that I quite follow the concern here, sorry. It's worth noting that you may need to have the old system available when you do the system transfer, which may impact on your ability to trade in.

I just got back from trading, the whole process took about 45 minutes. The process wasn't quite the same as listed as in the OP, but it worked out. The Dream Team that was preinstalled on the old system transferred over fine, which is what I was chiefly concerned with.

I got Iron Man Red. It looks awesome, will have to give it a whirl for real tonight.

Edit - the case part. It's a clip-on case, so I can't reuse it.

Just did the trade in dealio from Gamestop and got a black N3dsXL! I love it! Now what are my options as far as protectors or cases? Do any come in orange?

bobawesome

So I went for the GameStop deal and bought a New 3DS XL the other day. After transferring everything over, I noticed a bright stuck pixel at the top of the top screen. Sigh. I'm always reading about videos and pressure methods to correct pixels but has anyone actually had any luck in correcting them this way?

edit: Also, are there any decent cases for the 3DS XL? I'm currently using one of these pouches:

setaeT5.jpg

It's decent enough but I'd like something with a bit more protection. I was thinking about this but I don't like that it doesn't close entirely after the flap is down.

Volotaire

So, I bought a New 3DS. I want some protective film (screen protectors) for my New 3DS but it seems only this item is available for about £6.80. There are cheaper ones on Play Asia, but will ordering from Play Asia result in stamp duty charges when entering the UK?

Secondly, does anyone have recommendations for a plain New 3DS size fit case/pouch. It needs to be protective primarily. I have some in mind already.

Volotaire

I think the OP is wrong with the screwdriver. I used a 00 and it didn't work. I checked Nintendo's website and it says a 0.

Also, I successfully applied some screen protectors today. Now just to insert the faceplates and SD card.

Set up a repair for the C-Stick issue on my MonHun n3DS XL this morning. I was messing around on the home screen and accidentally opened the camera. That's where I discovered the inner camera displays the wrong colors lol. How should I tell them about this problem? Call them up or list it as a problem written on paper that I send with the system(email instructions say to include this when shipping it out)?

Volotaire

Do you know if there is a non-LL charge cradle in black too?

No. They are only available in white, pink or mint. Oddly, no black. The one I have my eye on is white unfortunately for my black N3DS.

I was wondering, posters who have TPU cases, if removing and replacing the cases would cause any scratches to the system? I was thinking of importing some.

Murray97

What do you guys prefer out of the new model? XL or standard?

I've been considering getting one of them for a while now but can't decide between the standard(it looks so damn pretty & a friend told me its more comfortable.) and XL (bigger screen, better battery).

I won't be using it away from home all that much so I'm thinking the XL might be a better option. How does it look stretched on the XL compared to the standard?

Volotaire

I think the OP is wrong with the screwdriver. I used a 00 and it didn't work. I checked Nintendo's website and it says a 0.

Also, I successfully applied some screen protectors today. Now just to insert the faceplates and SD card.

Ah, I actually fully read the OP and did some googling and there is confusion still about the type of screwdriver that works. Sorry OP.

It looks like TPU covers are safe if they are cleaned out regularly. It seems the dirt and dust that gets trapped between the case and console creates the biggest likelihood of the system getting scratched. I think I'll import a HORI clear set (although it might mask the black N3DS) and all should be fine.

Also, I think I finally read through this whole thread. Quite a lot of useful info.

What do you guys prefer out of the new model? XL or standard?

I've been considering getting one of them for a while now but can't decide between the standard(it looks so damn pretty & a friend told me its more comfortable.) and XL (bigger screen, better battery).

I won't be using it away from home all that much so I'm thinking the XL might be a better option. How does it look stretched on the XL compared to the standard?

I much prefer the smaller one because I have smaller hands, it's not glossy, it's a great balance for PPI considerations and I prefer the matte and solid colour buttons on the regular. The actual battery life difference is only half an hour to 1 hour which isn't too big of a difference. But it sounds like a XL suits you better.

tiijj

I use a JIS #00. I'm sure the others work perfectly as well but I figure that the 3DS is designed and sold (I got the jpn new 3ds) in Japan, it probably used the JIS standard. When I was assembling/building my old Tamiya TG-10 Mk2 I had to replace a lot of screws, I read that there's a slight difference between Phillips and JIS screws. This pissed me off since I didn't have any store close by and the replacement parts was too damn expensive but better. I'm not saying that it was the cause, it might be my screwdriver or it could be the quality of the screws or me personally, I don't know. I was going to pick up one anyway so I just decided to get the jis 00 from amazon.

I am buying a New 3DS this week, and will have to transfer lots and lots of games/data from my current 3DS. From reading the Google Docs guide at the start, it's news to me that I can copy my current 3DS SD card onto my computer, copy that to a new Micro SD card, put that into my current 3DS (using SD adapter) then kick off the transfer.

So.. during the transfer, the New 3DS will basically tell me to remove the SD card from the source machine and put it in the new one? That's rather cool (and seeminly quicker than the other method!).

Adamator

Hey all.

I've been having some issues with my New 3DS XL and thought it time to see if something is wrong or if anyone else has had similar issues.

I did some non-scientific tests over the past 2 days. I have left my 3DS in sleep mode at home all day, from about 6:30 am to 10:00pm. Wifi on, connected to my home network. No game was suspended, nothing was running. The system simply sat in sleep mode all day and evening.

At the end of the first night when I checked it before bed, the battery indicator had just turned red.
When I did the same test last night, the system completely died in roughly the same time.

So I am basically not even getting 20 hours of standby/sleep time from my New 3DS. Is that just how it is or is something wrong? I'm tempted to call Nintendo and see if I can get a new battery send to me or something but wonder if that's even the issue.
I've heard the system should last 3 days in sleep mode. I'm obviously not getting anything near that. Does anyone else have issues like these with their New 3DS XL?

Top Bottom