• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Anyone else with a n3ds xl having any wear show around the a/b/x/y face buttons?

The matte surface has worn of ever so slightly around the buttons. I've tried cleaning it and I'm pretty meticulous about being using clean hands when using electronics but it doesn't seem to want to go away

Quick question on the N3DS (non-XL version).

Does it use the same battery size as the original 3DS? Will the original 3DS battery work on it?

Maximus.

Anyone else with a n3ds xl having any wear show around the a/b/x/y face buttons?

The matte surface has worn of ever so slightly around the buttons. I've tried cleaning it and I'm pretty meticulous about being using clean hands when using electronics but it doesn't seem to want to go away

The plastic can wear down from your natural oils in your hands. No cleaning or product will remove those marks if I understand what you're describing.

The plastic can wear down from your natural oils in your hands. No cleaning or product will remove those marks if I understand what you're describing.
Yeah that's my thought as well.

Had never experienced that with any of the DS/3Ds products before but maybe I just got bad plastic :/

A Play-Asia listing for a midnight blue NA n3dsxl surfaced a while back. Did they just fuck up, or has there been any other hits it's coming?

Adamator

Hey all.

I've been having some issues with my New 3DS XL and thought it time to see if something is wrong or if anyone else has had similar issues.

I did some non-scientific tests over the past 2 days. I have left my 3DS in sleep mode at home all day, from about 6:30 am to 10:00pm. Wifi on, connected to my home network. No game was suspended, nothing was running. The system simply sat in sleep mode all day and evening.

At the end of the first night when I checked it before bed, the battery indicator had just turned red.
When I did the same test last night, the system completely died in roughly the same time.

So I am basically not even getting 20 hours of standby/sleep time from my New 3DS. Is that just how it is or is something wrong? I'm tempted to call Nintendo and see if I can get a new battery send to me or something but wonder if that's even the issue.
I've heard the system should last 3 days in sleep mode. I'm obviously not getting anything near that. Does anyone else have issues like these with their New 3DS XL?

UPDATE**

I actually found some help on this issue and thought I would pass along what I learned. Maybe the solution to this issue may help others as well.

If you happen to have more than one access point/router in your home with the same SSID, this could be the cause of your problem. The 3DS will see the 2 SSID's with the same name, but different Mac addresses and fight to connect to both. I had the exact setup in our two story home after it was suggested this could be a problem and I did some tests the next night.

I gave my 2 routers 2 different SSID's and saved them both into my 3DS. I left my 3DS at home in standby all day just like before. This time at the end of the day, I still had 4 bars of battery instead of one!

The 3DS does not like seeing the same SSID twice it would seem, and for whatever reason, changing that fixed my problem.

Just keep an eye on the 3DS's wi-fi networks you have saved in it and if it's near one, make sure it can connect to it. At my work recently, I had a wi-fi network saved that the 3DS could not successfully connect to, but it would try all day and drain the battery. Soon as I deleted the saved wi-fi name in my 3DS, the problem went away.

Adamator

This may seem like a really silly question, but does anyone know if a GOOD New Nintendo 3DS XL Case that actually has the "New Nintendo 3DS branding/logo?"

tiijj

I'm not sure what qualifies as "GOOD" for you, I personally use the Hori case on my 3DS, it doesn't have a lot of pockets or storage for accessories but it works perfectly for me. I got mine form amazon jp and both n3ds and n3ds ll/xl have the logo

QF3gSOS.jpg

Kh87atG.jpg

It also comes in another style, I havent seen or tried this personally (or know where to get it).

Santiako

Received my n3DS today and just finished the transfer from my old XL. I got the small one because of my big ass phone so I can't really carry around two big gadgets. Anyway, this little thing is amazing, the build quality, the buttons, the 3D, the renewed crispness from the smaller screen size; it's perfect!

God dammit NoA. I have $160 straight cash waiting for you to get off your asses and put out the smaller 3DS in the US. Or make the 3DS region free.

Still makes no sense to me.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
God dammit NoA. I have $160 straight cash waiting for you to get off your asses and put out the smaller 3DS in the US. Or make the 3DS region free.

I finally gave in and got a New XL. I like it and it's more comfortable than the regular XL, but I like my Japanese New 3DS so much more-- the smaller screens work better for this platform's screen resolutions. Will totally ditch this XL for a regular N3DS if they ever release it here, but at this point it just doesn't seem likely.

Santiako

Yeah, they could at least sell it through their online store if they don't want to commit to retail with it.

Adamator

I'm not sure what qualifies as "GOOD" for you, I personally use the Hori case on my 3DS, it doesn't have a lot of pockets or storage for accessories but it works perfectly for me. I got mine form amazon jp and both n3ds and n3ds ll/xl have the logo

It also comes in another style, I havent seen or tried this personally (or know where to get it).

Thanks. I shouldn't of stressed the GOOD part. I really just want the New 3DS Logo. :)

These aren't bad. Thanks. They actually look a lot like a case I currently have but they are probably different since you said these don't have a lot of storage space. the one I have most certainly does.

I have this one. Not my pic.

maxresdefault.jpg

tiijj

The good thing about NoA not releasing the non-LL/XL model is that I have extra money that I can use to pick up a PS4 in the near future or maybe the NX in the far(???) future.

RomanceDawn

My heart has weakened fully, I don't expect the regular New in the states at all. If the NX has a hand held form I just hope to dog that exchangable face plates are still a feature!

watershed

Banned
So I just bought a N3dsXL and I am ready to explore some eshop games I've ignored because I got tired of my OG3ds and it's small screens! Excite!

Renoir

So.. I got one with that Kmart deal.I'm wondering what's the things to know about. I remember my old 3ds I had to get some little plastics stikies to make a gap between the screen and the touch screen or it would leave a imprint on the top screen.

So .. What's to know?

Volotaire

This is the one I'm contemplating on. I don't really want the logo on the case and would like it to look better but it's inoffensive enough. I wouldn't want it to be too big either in a non custom case/LL case. Etsy cases are usually expensive/are made of impractical materials so these Hori ones seem to be the best of the bunch (especially if you want one fitted to New Nintendo 3DS size). The top one has a hard outer layer too.There are a few other designs by other Japanese firms on the various import sites.

DarkWish

I'm still sour that they didn't release the blue New 3DS XL in North America. Won't buy one until they release that color, or there's some other special one.

tanooki27

So.. I got one with that Kmart deal.I'm wondering what's the things to know about. I remember my old 3ds I had to get some little plastics stikies to make a gap between the screen and the touch screen or it would leave a imprint on the top screen.

So .. What's to know?

in my experience that issue isn't present with the new models. there's some new support nubs

So .. What's to know?

On the new c-stick, some are like super smooth and slippery, making it hard to do downward movements. You can use a cloth or something on top of it if u have that problem. Sent mine in to get repaired for that reason but they sent it back to me without fixing it... And they scratched my damn top screen too.

Soi-Fong

Finally got one!!! Thank god, the one I got ended up being the IPS panel which are way way better!!

I finally have a 3DS to play Persona Q on!!! And the case I got with the special edition of Persona Q is perfect!

Might get some Eshop games too.

Fusebox

Banned
Received my n3DS today and just finished the transfer from my old XL. I got the small one because of my big ass phone so I can't really carry around two big gadgets. Anyway, this little thing is amazing, the build quality, the buttons, the 3D, the renewed crispness from the smaller screen size; it's perfect!

Mmmm, damn I want a black one! I've even got the black Zelda faceplate ready to go but we only got the white N3DS in Australia.

Got the new black XL from the kmart deal yesterday. Probably going to try and exchange it for the red one though. Reminds me of the Wine color of the Dsi XLs which I really liked.

Hopefully it will be an IPS screen. Are most of the XLs in the US IPS now?

Just got the red new 3ds XL. It seems the screens are the same size compared to the regular XL correct?

Which screen protector do you guys recommend?Is the hori much better than the others?

Also, does anyone here have a new red 3dsXL with skins? I am looking for ideas. thanks

xJavonta

Banned
Wish I could get my old 3DS off my NNID. Sold it with the box so I no longer have the serial number. Called Nintendo and verified all information but they said they needed not only the email and NNID, but the serial too.

How am I supposed to give them the serial when I no longer have the console and can't even get into Club Nintendo anymore to see what's registered to my account. This system is absolutely maddening. How this company can still have a system like this in 2015 is beyond me

how is the process to upgrade the micro sd card?I just got a new 3ds xl that comes with 4gb card. I 99% of my games are physical, but in case I want to upgrade just the card (not trading the systems), it is easy? I just copy everything from the smaller 4gb card to the PC, then PC to the new larger micro sd? simple like that?

Volotaire

how is the process to upgrade the micro sd card?I just got a new 3ds xl that comes with 4gb card. I 99% of my games are physical, but in case I want to upgrade just the card (not trading the systems), it is easy? I just copy everything from the smaller 4gb card to the PC, then PC to the new larger micro sd? simple like that?

Yep!

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
So hey, if anyone in AU or UK doesn't want their plain white or black cover plates (the ones that came with the system), I'll take them from ya. Hit me up

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm currently having a hard time deciding whether to get a New 3DS or a New 3DS XL.
Here in the UK the price gap is about £50 between the two models and I'm not sure if the extra screen size is worth that extra money (could buy a couple of games for that price difference).

Anyone used both? If so, is the larger screen worth it?

SuperSah

Banned
I'm currently having a hard time deciding whether to get a New 3DS or a New 3DS XL.
Here in the UK the price gap is about £50 between the two models and I'm not sure if the extra screen size is worth that extra money (could buy a couple of games for that price difference).

I just bought the smaller N3DS to upgrade from an OG.

Bigger screens feel good but not as huge as the XL and the system feels solid!

DagsJT

I've had both and settled on the smaller model. Easier to hold, lighter and better picture. And faceplates.

MarkusRJR

Random question: Is it normal for my N3DS XL to click loudly as it's being closed? I know there's the 3 positions the hinge goes into and click each time, but when closing the screen as the top half reaches about a half an inch from the bottom it makes a similarly loud click. My old 3DS and 3DS XL didn't make that click and I wanted to just ask to see if I should be worried.

hunnies28

Random question: Is it normal for my N3DS XL to click loudly as it's being closed? I know there's the 3 positions the hinge goes into and click each time, but when closing the screen as the top half reaches about a half an inch from the bottom it makes a similarly loud click. My old 3DS and 3DS XL didn't make that click and I wanted to just ask to see if I should be worried.

Mine does this, few months old, no issues so far aside from the noise.

Rootbeer

Banned

I feel this is normal. Mine does it and it's given no problems.

Top Bottom