• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Alucrid

Banned
so quick question. i had a 3ds xl that i got rid of and on it i had bought some awakening dlc and project x zone, now i have a new 3ds xl that i got. i'm assuming that since there's no account system and i didn't transfer anything to the new one that i'm just SOL of getting those back, right?

tiijj

so quick question. i had a 3ds xl that i got rid of and on it i had bought some awakening dlc and project x zone, now i have a new 3ds xl that i got. i'm assuming that since there's no account system and i didn't transfer anything to the new one that i'm just SOL of getting those back, right?

Out of curiosity how were you able to buy a dlc and/or game if you don't have an (eshop) account?

Shenmue

Banned
I think I've settled on buying the new smaller model. Where's the best place for us NA faceplate peasants to buy faceplates?

Alucrid

Banned
Out of curiosity how were you able to buy a dlc and/or game if you don't have an (eshop) account?

Maybe it was before the creation of NNIDs were required, so everyone could purchase off the eShop without an account.

It was in early 2014 that I last had it. I don't remember having created one and I thought it didn't matter as I didn't own a Wii U. If I did end up having one is that something that I can then recover?

mitx

I'm thinking in buying a used New Nintendo 3DS XL. I never had a DS, DSi or 3DS so I figure I have a lot of games to catch up to.

Are there any downsides in buying this console used? For example, if the console must be tied to its first account or if i can just format it and create a new Nintendo account.

I have a N3DSXL - which has perfect hinges and an IPS screen (My FE OG blue 3DS also has perfect hinges); so I inquire:

How are the hinges on the N3DS small? Are they firm like the DS Lite or is there slight wobble?

I have a N3DSXL - which has perfect hinges and an IPS screen (My FE OG blue 3DS also has perfect hinges); so I inquire:

How are the hinges on the N3DS small? Are they firm like the DS Lite or is there slight wobble?

Elaborate on your "perfect" hinges. Does the screen have any wobble? Does it click?

Elaborate on your "perfect" hinges. Does the screen have any wobble? Does it click?

Wobble - with movement of the system (when opened)

Like if you move the system forward and back, with the system open, does the hinge have give or movement?

To me, the perfect hinges has a quiet locking into place, that is felt and not heard and the top half does not move, when the system is open and shifted.

My normal new 3ds has a pretty solid hinge. It has a slight wobble, but it's extremely minor and nowhere near my XL. (Which I modified to fix the wobble).

My biggest issues with the regular are the fact that the start button seems difficult to press and the stylus feels cheap. Also, I don't know if it's because I'm holding it closer to my face, but I seem to have troubles with the 3D

OmegaFax

I've had two different N3DS XL systems and the hinges were completely different. My Majora's Mask XL (which I still have) has a very soft click into position. If I flip the system over face down while holding it, the screen stays in position. It's firm. No wobble. Love it. Even months later, it's the same as when I got it. The black XL's screen wobbled towards gravity or if I lightly shook it and had a distinctive click when I opened or closed it.

Sorry for the bump but I want some confirmation on a matter.

Will it be safe for me to charge an Australian 3DS using an Australian charger in USA? I have adaptors, but they are not transformers.

Australia uses 230~240 volts at 50 Hz, which is a higher voltage but lower frequency than what America uses.

gkryhewy

This may not be the right place, but I couldn't find a general New 3DS/XL OT. Anyway, is anyone else having issues with their New 3DS XL scratching itself on/near the hinge? I keep getting these faint vertical lines on the hinge that correspond with faint marks/etching on the top screen- like there is something course in the hinge that causes it to scratch itself. I've slid paper through the gap, and paper dipped in rubbing alcohol, a few times to try to clear out any debris in there, but I still seem to get new lines every once in awhile (unless maybe the unit just highlights old marks differently in different lighting conditions- not sure).

I have the 3DS in this Hori protector, which theoretically should create more spacing between the top and bottom panels when closed (?), and I carry it in a microfiber sleeve. This is especially annoying since it's the MM LE edition, so I wanted to keep it in perfect shape.

Photo below is the best I can do to highlight it. It's not horrible, but it looks worse than this in most lighting (and there are more vertical lines than show up here). The marks on the screen look like dust but are etches/scratches, I would get it repaired at some point, but not if it's going to recur.

kFmJBfQ.jpg

Rich!

Yep. My PAL launch console from November 2014 has exactly the same scratch in exactly the same place. Was not there when new.

gkryhewy

Yep. My PAL launch console from November 2014 has exactly the same scratch in exactly the same place. Was not there when new.

Ah- I don't know if that's good news or bad news. Thanks. What the heck, though? How could it be scratching itself like this if there's no visible debris in the hinge? I know I cleaned mine out pretty good. Could this just be from making contact with itself (too narrow a gap)?

Rich!

Ah- I don't know if that's good news or bad news. Thanks. What the heck, though? How could it be scratching itself like this if there's no visible debris in the hinge? I know I cleaned mine out pretty good. Could this just be from making contact with itself (too narrow a gap)?

It's rubbing against the lower half.

Mine is worse than one scratch upon inspection...

dsc_06996hpxb.jpg

See the middle there? Yep. The console is scratching itself. At least it ain't the fucking screen this time.

Tillbo

Sorry to dig up an old thread but this seems to be the only place relevant. Basically, I have a new 3DS and was considering changing it for an XL. However, when looking into it I found this thread and the mention of scratching issues with the XL.

Is this a common issue? I had the screen scratching issue with the original 3DS and will be reluctant to swap if something similar is to happen again.

Also, for anyone has both which do you use more or prefer?

Galava

Sorry to dig up an old thread but this seems to be the only place relevant. Basically, I have a new 3DS and was considering changing it for an XL. However, when looking into it I found this thread and the mention of scratching issues with the XL.

Is this a common issue? I had the screen scratching issue with the original 3DS and will be reluctant to swap if something similar is to happen again.

My New3DS (normal size) has scratches like the pics posted in this thread, not on the screen though. This shouldn't happen, but at least I know I'm not the only one.

Rockondevil

Pretty sure it's just the hinge rubbing on itself as seen in the pictures above. Mine has a nearly identical scratch to those pictures. No big deal really unless you're staring at the hinge rather than the game.

Tillbo

Thanks, guess the scratches aren't an issue then. Does anyone have both the New & XL and have a preference? I really like the bigger screen but I am concerned there is a sacrifice to pixel density?

Red

Sorry for the bump, not sure where else to ask. I want to get a New 3DS. I specifically want this one. I dont want to be region locked to Japan, however. I know there is an Animal Crossing bundle with a similar looking 3DS in the US, but that one comes with different colored backplates. I want a white backplate, but as far as I can tell these aren't available in the US. I also have no desire to own the pack-in Animal Crossing game in the US bundle, so I have no good reason to pay the price difference. Is there anyway to get an all white new 3DS with colored buttons in the US?

Ideally I'd like a New 3DS XL with the above color scheme, but I don't think that's been made available anywhere.

Krammy

Sorry for the bump, not sure where else to ask. I want to get a New 3DS. I specifically want this one. I dont want to be region locked to Japan, however. I know there is an Animal Crossing bundle with a similar looking 3DS in the US, but that one comes with different colored backplates. I want a white backplate, but as far as I can tell these aren't available in the US. I also have no desire to own the pack-in Animal Crossing game in the US bundle, so I have no good reason to pay the price difference. Is there anyway to get an all white new 3DS with colored buttons in the US?

Ideally I'd like a New 3DS XL with the above color scheme, but I don't think that's been made available anywhere.

Not possible at the moment. You can't even import the white cover plates since they're not sold separately.

I'd like NoA to start releasing these standalone too. I already have the Pokemon Anniversary version, but I like the handheld so much I want to have a 2nd one for when my current one eventually breaks.

Red

Not possible at the moment. You can't even import the white cover plates since they're not sold separately.

I'd like NoA to start releasing these standalone too. I already have the Pokemon Anniversary version, but I like the handheld so much I want to have a 2nd one for when my current one eventually breaks.
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Any way to get around region locking on the Japanese system?

The only other cover plate that looks attractive to me is the wood one... And it's out of print.

I imported an "Asian region" Pokemon Anniversary n3DS. By all accounts this is NA hardware running NA firmware and plays NA games. My old NA XL doesn't start anymore so I had to call Nintendo to do a system transfer. The guy took my serial just fine and said it would be 24-48 hours before I received an email about what to do next, but doing a bit more research it looks like NA n3DS serial numbers start with YW, while mine starts with YS. Now I'm kinda worried they'll notice this and not do the transfer. Apparently it works just fine if you can do a system to system transfer, but obviously that's not an option. Just wondering if anyone had any success or failure with a similar situation? I hope it works, I really like the feel and look. I'd hate to return it.

Sorry if there is a better thread for this, but this seemed as appropriate as I could find.

Edit: In case anyone comes across this looking for an answer to the same question, my NNID transfer went just fine.

i bought 2 new 3ds xl one for me and one for my wife with pokemon x and y, it's my first 3ds system i like pokemon and rpg my wife too, could some of you recommend some game to buy on the system and do i need to upgrade the 4gb microsd or im fine with 4gb?

ajjow

i bought 2 new 3ds xl one for me and one for my wife with pokemon x and y, it's my first 3ds system i like pokemon and rpg my wife too, could some of you recommend some game to buy on the system and do i need to upgrade the 4gb microsd or im fine with 4gb?

I'm just finishing bravely default and it's an amazing game. Best final fantasy game since final fntasy x.

Did you have a Nintendo DS? There are o many games thats hard to recommend something to you.

I havemore than 30 games just for 3ds... Try Mario 3d land. Shin Megami Tensei 4 is really good too.

You'll probablyforget everything nd just play DS now. Just try to overcome the terrible screen.

I'm just finishing bravely default and it's an amazing game. Best final fantasy game since final fntasy x.

Did you have a Nintendo DS? There are o many games thats hard to recommend something to you.

I havemore than 30 games just for 3ds... Try Mario 3d land. Shin Megami Tensei 4 is really good too.

You'll probablyforget everything nd just play DS now. Just try to overcome the terrible screen.

i never had a nintendo ds so i did miss on some great games on the ds, my wife love pokemon a lot she enjoying pokemon x she already preorder pokemon sun and next month she gonna buy omega ruby, for me yeah i like final fantasy i saw bravely default and it looked cool , but i wonder why nintendo dont release the new nintendo 3ds there only the xl here in canada :(

ThisOne

So if I don't want an XL but do want the New 3DS, my only option is to buy the Animal Crossing bundle, right?

Edit: I live in the USA

Red

Yes, but I think both of those are discontinued? I haven't seen the Animal Crossing bundle in store in a while.
Is there a New 3DS monster hunter bundle available or releasing soon? Might be cheaper than the Happy Home or Pokémon bundles.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Is there a New 3DS monster hunter bundle available or releasing soon? Might be cheaper than the Happy Home or Pokémon bundles.

The Monster Hunter New XL was released today, it's black and blue. It's nice but yeah there's no Faceplate N3DS that's been announced since Pokemon.
I've seen a few for sale in the BST thread OT.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Quoting myself from another thread:

Yeah I had to order replacements from eBay shipped from China. They were dirt cheap, so I ordered four 2 black and 2 white. They match my system fine, I couldn't tell you if it was different.

But yeah ordering a replacement from Nintendo is insane, it's like $7 for one shipped! I'm sure it'll match your system through, it's the OEM one.

Shoot me a PM and I'll send you a white and black for $5 PayPal. I'll take a pic of them if you're interested in the color.

Kitkatt

Neo Member
The New 3DS XL Pikachu(2016) edition is back in stock on Amazon Japan.

716WU9JdXWL._SX522_.jpg

There are two new bundle editions that come with either the Sun/Moon game.As well as two Microfiber pouches to carry your 3DS.
The game will be a downloadable online code sent to you from Amazon.jp.

On top of this,Global Shipping is available(bundles only).Total for me was around 1000+Yen for shipping to the USA.Not bad at all.
Overall total was: 25756 YEN

Pikachu Edition with Pokemon Sun: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01IEMPP0A/

Pikachu Edition with Pokemon Moon: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01IEMPOZ6/

Top Bottom