• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon information to be revealed August 6 (JST)?

Typically it's the previous generation that sucks, the generation before that which is currently beloved, and the generation before that which "needs a remake"

I don't really care for these types of observations because they ignore that the fanbase is made up of millions of people with varying opinions. My love for Gen V has been consistent since the release of BW1, and my dislike of both Gen VI releases were cemented long before SM were even announced.

Berordn

I don't even dislike Gen VI, the mechanics changes were great and everything was generally fine and snappy.

I just didn't think X/Y were good games and the hate for OR/AS completely baffles me because that was everything I was looking for.

So do people still hate on DPP? I absolutely adore platinum, definitely in my top 3 as far as gens are concerned.
Honestly thought Platnium was the best game that gen(and this had Heartgold/Soulsilver in it)

Battle frontier is great
Distortion World is a cool concept(basically hell)
More Pokémon is great
Looking at Giratinas new form makes it more badass(Giratina is basically the devil)
Was speed up some which was good.
Fixed Hearthome gym because my god was that bad in DP.
Also the new characters were interesting(Looker was new in this game right?)

So do people still hate on DPP? I absolutely adore platinum, definitely in my top 3 as far as gens are concerned.

DPP is the most underrated gen IMO. It's where we finally got the physical/special move split, a bunch of evolutions to Gen 1 Pokemon (some good some bad), and outside of a few issues (like a lack of Fire Pokemon) I thought the gen was fantastic. Team Galatic gets a lot of hate but they were no more ridiculous then Aqua/Magma. I enjoyed the most open nature of the routes having multiple ways to get through them with Bikes/HM's and although it still suffered from needing to many HM's as least unlike Gen 3 you didn't need like 4 water HM moves with few Pokemon that could learn all of them and the need to actually use Defog was quite limited.

At some point I'd really like to do a break down on what each gen really brought to the table and what they messed up with and break it down because I think Gen 3 was by far the worst in what it ultimately offered and the Pokemon of Gen 3 suffer greatly from the lack of the Physical/Special move split.

X/Y was actually kind of fun, towns were not great and chibi models aged really badly but Kalos had great routes, a unique feel to it where Alola didn't feel exotic enough to me. Besides there was a huge portion I loved in this game was between the first and second badge, it was like ten hours of gameplay without being burdened by gym leader or team flare, just roaming with rollers in Kalos and catching a lot of Pokemon. And like everyone else said, the community exploded thanks to a sage online environnement and PSS

Actually I start to feel nostalgic.

Nightbird

The biggest problem I have with this reveal is we still have no idea what the hell these games are. It's been months since the games were announced with rather confusing statements about what exactly were doing to see in these games.

Okay one Pokemon that had as split form now has a new form, okay fine but does this mean were getting more previous generation pokemon with new Alolan forms? Are we going to see some of the new Pokemon with new forms? What about the world is different from the previous games? What about the story? ect.

While at the same time its clear that this is NOT a sequel which is a bit disappointing because one of the truly good things of Sun and Moon was Lillie being an actual character with an arc (which we don't get to see much of in Pokemon) and the ending made me think we were going to continue her story either as her or alongside her but this seems to be a completely different idea altogether.

The lack of information just seems to suggest this is going to be a very lackluster 'third' version. I wouldn't be nearly as worried if they games weren't coming out in 3 months.

This is where I am at.

I just can't get excited for this.

I've seen people on YouTube saying this is them trying not to make their previous mistake of revealing everything before the release, but I think that's BS. If you don't want to reveal everything you won't achieve it by going radio silent either.

Rncewind

X/Y were the most bland and boring pokemon games i ever played. I am sure thats the result that gamefreak thought because its the first 3d pokemon it would carry it, which it did so.

Atleast Sun/Moon delivered even more so thats ok i guess

This is where I am at.

I just can't get excited for this.

I've seen people on YouTube saying this is them trying not to make their previous mistake of revealing everything before the release, but I think that's BS. If you don't want to reveal everything you won't achieve it by going radio silent either.

Honestly I could see that if they actually had bothered to at least give us some basic information about the game. Whats the story? Whats different in the world? Are we seeing any new Alolan forms? Are Gyms back? Are there changes to the islands? Is the endgame worthwhile for once? ect.

JoeM86

I don't really care for these types of observations because they ignore that the fanbase is made up of millions of people with varying opinions. My love for Gen V has been consistent since the release of BW1, and my dislike of both Gen VI releases were cemented long before SM were even announced.

Well I'm talking about the more vocal people, obviously :)

Smasher89

I just didn't think X/Y were good games and the hate for OR/AS completely baffles me because that was everything I was looking for.

I assume you missed out on Emerald?, because it's the expectations from that game that probably made oras feel quite a bit less then expected.

Hazu

Get rid of PP for battles and have some kind of MP system. Also, let me keep all my attacks instead of having just 4.

Edit : Sorry, wrong Pokemon thread. :(

Berordn

I assume you missed out on Emerald?, because it's the expectations from that game that probably made oras feel quite a bit less then expected.

Nope. Played every game in Gen 3. The omissions were upsetting, but the return of an actual region with the additions they made with the Pokenav made it a much more fulfilling experience to me.

I liked that it diverted and tried its own thing in a few places and we got neat stuff like soaring out of the deal.

No, that's not the only thing in the game. It's the only thing they revealed today.

Come on now

I think he meant more "this is all they have for an announcement?" When you see something like "new information to be revealed" you expect more than a slightly different Lycanroc.

Toxi

Banned
No, that's not the only thing in the game. It's the only thing they revealed today.

Come on now
Did the poster you're replying to ever say that?

It's not out of line to criticize all the currently revealed info about Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon as uninspired and boring.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
My problem with the 3DS Pokemon games is that, so far, there hasn't been any entries that live up to the standards set by (glorified) 3rd versions from previous generations. Gen 6 as a whole was underwhelming. Every single generation of Pokemon has had at least one director's cut which revisited the region it introduced and made it better, but not Kalos. OR/AS is probably the most underwhelming Pokemon remake I've played. It went out of its way to avoid having an interesting facility that installments later in a Pokemon generation are known for. It opted for a story based postgame like X/Y, only it was terrible and Zinnia is a really unlikeable character.

For the first time since B2/W2, we're getting a revisit of the region that defines its generation. I'm keeping a close eye on US/UM, and if it doesn't have what I expect of a Pokemon game that closes out a generation, I'm pretty much done with the series until they can get it together again.

yuoke

Banned
My problem with the 3DS Pokemon games is that, so far, there hasn't been any entries that live up to the standards set by (glorified) 3rd versions from previous generations. Gen 6 as a whole was underwhelming. Every single generation of Pokemon has had at least one director's cut which revisited the region it introduced and made it better, but not Kalos. OR/AS is probably the most underwhelming Pokemon remake I've played. It went out of its way to avoid having an interesting facility that installments later in a Pokemon generation are known for. It opted for a story based postgame like X/Y, only it was terrible and Zinnia is a really unlikeable character.

For the first time since B2/W2, we're getting a revisit of the region that defines its generation. I'm keeping a close eye on US/UM, and if it doesn't have what I expect of a Pokemon game that closes out a generation, I'm pretty much done with the series until they can get it together again.

I know they want to be different every gen now, but I honestly really wish they just made sequels to SM instead of these being split third versions of the same story.

This is a case where I feel sequels could have been way more interesting than the original games.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
I know they want to be different every gen now, but I honestly really wish they just made sequels to SM instead of these being split third versions of the same story.

This is a case where I feel sequels could have been way more interesting than the original games.
I agree with you. Although if US/UM takes the alternate universe approach to the extreme, that would be fantastic too. But that doesn't seem like something Game Freak would go for.

ryan13ts

I'm guessing the only reason they're not showing much of anything is because there's not much new in the game to show. It's almost a certainty that there's no new Pokemon in this game (They've never added new Pokemon mid-generation, don't see them doing it now), so about the only thing I see being new is forms, of which there probably aren't that many. Outside of that, it's the standard minor changes to the world and story, and maybe a few gameplay tweaks.

I can't say I'm too surprised, I knew not to get my hopes up for stuff like new Pokemon which I know everyone is wanting. When the game is less than 3 months away and they've literally shown nothing (a STARK contrast to the info mudslide we get with a incoming new gen title), that's a clear indicator in and of itself.

My potentially biggest problem with Ultra SuMo is the return of Festival Plaza. *shudders* I also hope they fix Hyper Training, because it's such a great idea that was implemented terribly and S.O.S. also needs tweaked a bit.

All Mega Stones need to be in the game from the get go too.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but one anomaly doesn't mean the end of the world. Plus we have a new director now.
Do we actually know who the US/UM director is? If Ohmori is Masuda's successor he's more likely to be working on Gen 8 right now. GF usually delegates director's cuts to their team B.

JoeM86

I remember a game we got which only had one form change which was identical to its base form, just with a tuft of hair...

Thank you. I feel the same way.

I remember a game we got which only had one form change which was identical to its base form, just with a tuft of hair...

The main difference being that HGSS's appeal was that it was a remake of a fan favorite entry of the franchise, and was able to drive hype based on that alone, whereas three months away from release nobody really knows what USM entails outside of maybe being a split version of what we used to know as 3rd versions.

JoeM86

The main difference being that HGSS's appeal was that it was a remake of a fan favorite entry of the franchise, and was able to drive hype based on that alone, whereas three months away from release nobody really knows what USM entails outside of maybe being a split version of what we used to know as 3rd versions.

Yes but I'm seeing people saying the game will flop and is no different just based on this. It's ridiculous

Red Devil

If I had to give them score I'd rate XY and SM about the same for different reasons, but I've came to realize that I actually enjoyed XY more than SM.

XY being around before 3DS hacking was really a thing helped matters too...

I'm of the idea the that the lack of national dex ended up harming SM's durability, back during the XY days when the floodgates opened and the Bank became available through Wonder Trade it was easy to get Pokémon that were otherwise unobtainable in Kalos, nowadays in SM almost always I get things from the Alola Pokédex, it would seem like people lost interest in transferring their old stuff over, breed and trade those Pokémon unlike the last generation.

Nightbird

Yeah but one anomaly doesn't mean the end of the world. Plus we have a new director now.

Not the end of the world, but the end of my interest for that game.

I just want to know what I'm getting.

Can you really blame for starting to get pissed off at the secrecy when we are getting denied even the most basic information 8 weeks before reviewers will get their hands on this?

OrionX

They don't want to scare the children.

"C'mon Mimikyu! No more hiding, be true to yourself! <3"

*Mimikyu removes Pikachu cosplay*

giphy.gif

Mimikyu: :(

Top Bottom