• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon information to be revealed August 6 (JST)?

Toxi

Banned
Guys, come on. It's not "lazy". It's what its concept showcases it as being. It's the Dusk Form, so it's a transition point between Midday Form and Midnight Form and thus has elements of both
It doesn't look like a transition between the two forms. It looks like the Midday form with the Midnight form's hair.

Clefargle

This form has its own neat details, dunno if this has been mentioned yet. The green eyes are probably in reference to the rare "green flash" effect that can be observed at sundown irl in the right conditions. Very cool Pokémon

i'll admit that i'm not in every pokemon community out there, but in the ones i'm in, gen 6 is easily considered the worst. it's far from being a "gaf thing". so much that i agree with you on your point that Sun/Moon got better reception - but gen 6 is still pretty despised pretty much everywhere else.

This is news to me. Admittedly I stopped reading most pokemon related things after being so disappointed in SuMo but I always thought XY were fantastic and until now I had never seen much to the contrary. During Gen 6 people were generally fairly high on it largely for the amount of gameplay improvements. Between the 3D models, the PSS, the Gen 6 designs and the sheer variety of pokemon available it was being heralded as one of the best. ORAS fumbled with the lack of real extra content but the Dexnav was another huge improvement, and having the post-game island where you could hatch eggs easier than ever before was great.

I mean.... The percentage of people who play pokemon for the deep narrative is probably in the single digits and so giving XY crap for its story... deserved though it may be, is a weak complaint compared to all the good it did. I don't even agree that B/W has the 'best story' since it's really just a basic story with a 'mature' coat of paint. On top of that it's incorporated into the game incredibly poorly imo. A story that has to completely derail itself just to go through Set Piece #5 is a poorly told story.

I would without reservation say that XY is the perfect entry point for new players, at the very least from a game design perspective. It does a really good job of introducing all the mechanics and on top of that is just a much better looking game (assuming you aren't offended by the more chibi character models)

SuMo on the other hand.... it's different? I guess that's a bonus if you like things that are different for the sake of being different. I probably couldn't say anything that hasn't already been said a dozen times but SuMo is far more divisive than I remember XY ever being.

Also that Lycanroc form is better than either of the other two forms. But as a "New Form" it's uninspiring.

HardRojo

Lol, might as well call Spiky-eared Pichu a completely different Forme too and consider it similar to what Deoxys and this new Pokémon have.

Giga Man

Despite this being a very boring reveal, my favorite Lycanroc form was Midday, so I'm OK with replacing it with Dusk form if it has better competitive stats and still carries Accelerock.

I heavily doubt it'll have the former, though.

This is news to me. Admittedly I stopped reading most pokemon related things after being so disappointed in SuMo but I always thought XY were fantastic and until now I had never seen much to the contrary. During Gen 6 people were generally fairly high on it largely for the amount of gameplay improvements. Between the 3D models, the PSS, the Gen 6 designs and the sheer variety of pokemon available it was being heralded as one of the best. ORAS fumbled with the lack of real extra content but the Dexnav was another huge improvement, and having the post-game island where you could hatch eggs easier than ever before was great.

I mean.... The percentage of people who play pokemon for the deep narrative is probably in the single digits and so giving XY crap for its story... deserved though it may be, is a weak complaint compared to all the good it did. I don't even agree that B/W has the 'best story' since it's really just a basic story with a 'mature' coat of paint. On top of that it's incorporated into the game incredibly poorly imo. A story that has to completely derail itself just to go through Set Piece #5 is a poorly told story.

I would without reservation say that XY is the perfect entry point for new players, at the very least from a game design perspective. It does a really good job of introducing all the mechanics and on top of that is just a much better looking game (assuming you aren't offended by the more chibi character models)

SuMo on the other hand.... it's different? I guess that's a bonus if you like things that are different for the sake of being different. I probably couldn't say anything that hasn't already been said a dozen times but SuMo is far more divisive than I remember XY ever being.

Also that Lycanroc form is better than either of the other two forms. But as a "New Form" it's uninspiring.

It's amazing how much I agree with this post. I've seen my fair share of criticism of XY but they felt few and far in between. The PSS and everything else XY kept the community here on Gaf going long after release. VS Sun and Moon where it felt like the community died out a month after release (on Gaf anyway). People who knock XY have no idea how important and convenient the PSS and ease to get into was to alot of players. I put well over 4400 hours into XY. I've seen alot of division in the fan base for Sun and Moon. They're already a few post in the thread about it so I won't beat a dead horse but hell I will that while I like Sun and Moon there's ALOT THAT I DON'T LIKE. BRING BACK THE PSS!!! BRING BACK MY PRECIOUS!!! Ahem...

As for your Lycanroc comment. It all depends on the base stats spread. As of Right now I give Midnight Lycanroc the edge (pun not intended) over Midday because it has a slightly better spread with its only down side being it's speed. I hope Dusk Lycanroc surprises us with a better stat spread.

Neiteio

Guys, come on. It's not "lazy". It's what its concept showcases it as being. It's the Dusk Form, so it's a transition point between Midday Form and Midnight Form and thus has elements of both
Just looks like an orange Midday form.

Neiteio

With elements of Midnight Form in it, pushing the concept that it's a halfway point between the two...

People need to stop just looking at design and deal with concept more.
The design is what we're opining on as lazy. Looks 90% like Midday instead of the 50/50 transition it's apparently meant to be.

With elements of Midnight Form in it, pushing the concept that it's a halfway point between the two...

I think the fact it is basically the same 3D model with some extra fluff on the top of its head doesn't really convey the "halfway point" properly. The idea seems cool but I agree the execution is a bit lazy.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Gen 6 being the worst in terms of the games? Oh yea, definitely.

I blame ORAS.

XY is great at what it did. People forget that you can get Pokemon so easily there without the need to do a shitty minigame that can frustrate you, encouraged communication with other players, and has a really fast leveling mechanic.

It's supposed to be inbetween those two forms. There isn't really a whole lot they could have done with the concept. I'd even say the execution is good given the task, just the concept itself rather lame to begin with.

I've seen "in-between" concepts that worked better. This isn't really in-between, more like Lycanroc Sun with Moon's mohawk.

LotusHD

Banned
I blame ORAS.

XY is great at what it did.

Didn't like X/Y that much, thought it was very bland, it was the type of thing where it being the first mainline entry with 3D Pokemon being the main draw at the time for me. ORAS is the first mainline game I've played that I didn't even finish. Gen 6 straight up made me think that I had finally outgrown my favorite franchise and that it was finally time to stop buying them. But after playing S/M, I guess my issues were with Gen 6 all along.

That said, even though I do like S/M, it continues the trend of the 3DS entries having lackluster post-game content. I hope these 2 upcoming games rectify that, especially the Switch game.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'll be honest again....I really want another remake of G/S. Or a remake/remaster of HG/SS.

I'm sorry! I just love that region and game so much!

But it won't happen anytime soon.

same. Gold/Silver/HG/SS are the best pokemon games imo. i want updated version for Switch. that'd be cool but yeah it's not happening.

ash_ag

So is there going to be a Dawn form too, which is the reverse?

Doubt it. It's called Twilight Form in Latin languages and German, so presumably it's not meant to contrast dusk/dawn. The Japanese name is Tasogare Form, which from what I understand also means twilight, but specifically the twilight between sunset and dusk rather than the pre-morning one.

After all the silence the first thing they show since the announcement doesn't help my already negative feelings towards this game....

The concept doesn't matter if the design is so lame. It's almost entirely Day form with only tiny bits of Night in it.

Dr Thor

Neo Member
i'll admit that i'm not in every pokemon community out there, but in the ones i'm in, gen 6 is easily considered the worst. it's far from being a "gaf thing". so much that i agree with you on your point that Sun/Moon got better reception - but gen 6 is still pretty despised pretty much everywhere else.

LOL what? In terms of actually playing Pokemon as a video game I don't understand this opinion at all, X/Y introduced great 3D models, much better breeding/training mechanics than previous games, Pokemon Amie for extra cuteness, and PSS revolutionised online play for the series and actually allowed me to battle other people for the first time since playing Gen 1 in school when everyone had Pokemon. Not to mention there was a huge variety of Pokemon to catch around Kalos.

Amongst my friends it was the first Pokemon game anyone gave a shit about since the originals, basically, and it completely rejuvenated the series for me in terms of gameplay. It's thoroughly bizarre to me anyone could consider it *the worst* Pokemon game, unless they're talking about story or characters or something but that's never exactly the strong point of Pokemon anyways.

barber

LOL what? In terms of actually playing Pokemon as a video game I don't understand this opinion at all, X/Y introduced great 3D models, much better breeding/training mechanics than previous games, Pokemon Amie for extra cuteness, and PSS revolutionised online play for the series and actually allowed me to battle other people for the first time since playing Gen 1 in school when everyone had Pokemon. Not to mention there was a huge variety of Pokemon to catch around Kalos.

Amongst my friends it was the first Pokemon game anyone gave a shit about since the originals, basically, and it completely rejuvenated the series for me in terms of gameplay. It's thoroughly bizarre to me anyone could consider it *the worst* Pokemon game, unless they're talking about story or characters or something but that's never exactly the strong point of Pokemon anyways.

Yeah, it was quite good. The main problem I had was the pandering for gen 1 (yeah I get it, I have been playing since then, just let me see new pokemons!) which was continued in S/M and that story and postgame took a really bad dip compared to BW and B2W2. I mean, people complain about the graphics, but the 3d models for the pokemon are impressive for the 3DS and are probably kinda futureproof, I HOPE.

Yeah, I'm puzzled by how the reception towards X/Y seems to have turned so negative among a number of people since S/M released. Honestly X/Y are my second favourite generation after G/S/C, those games renewed my interest in the series after having not enjoyed them for over a decade (excluding HG/SS I guess). Sun and Moon meanwhile are literally the embodiment of everything I hate about the series - extreme hand holding, garbage story rammed down your throat, constantly removing or downgrading features people love etc.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, I'm puzzled by how the reception towards X/Y seems to have turned so negative among a number of people since S/M released. Honestly X/Y are my second favourite generation after G/S/C, those games renewed my interest in the series after having not enjoyed them for well over a decade (excluding HG/SS I guess). Sun and Moon meanwhile are literally the embodiment of everything I hate about the series - extreme hand holding, garbage story rammed down your throat, constantly removing or downgrading features people love etc.

it's funny too because SM died down faster unlike XY which remained alive especially with those stuff like safari, hell I think it even outpaced ORAS's life

Trakan

I'm curious to know if you would ever call something lazy. If this isn't lazy, what would have been?

Maybe Gamefreak didn't actually convey the concept well enough here. Even the fan mockups I've seen leading up to this reveal have done a better job of merging design elements between Midday and Midnight.

mebizzle

XY being retarded poorly is a bit of revisionist history I think, there was a lot of hype from outside of the core Pokemon community and there was a literal min of people waiting for it at midnight at my local game store personally, moreso than ORAS. The PSS was insanely cool at the time and I think it was a really unfortunate thing to lose, it felt like a real step toward an online Pokemon game.

I dislike XY, but that was an opinion I had since playing through the game. I SM a bit better but it has its share of problems too. I still feel like we haven't gotten a real knockout title since BW2.

Aleh

ORAS were better than XY.
And SM are better than most other first gen pairs, too.
I love where the series is going, and once they finally release the first Switch game we'll be able to finally move on from most of these old complaints that are really more bound to the 3DS rather than this supposed "incompetence" of the developers.

Also the doom and gloom about Ultra SM is kind of funny, we know nothing about it other than 3 new forms and a couple of screenshots and people are already losing their minds.

The biggest problem I have with this reveal is we still have no idea what the hell these games are. It's been months since the games were announced with rather confusing statements about what exactly were doing to see in these games.

Okay one Pokemon that had as split form now has a new form, okay fine but does this mean were getting more previous generation pokemon with new Alolan forms? Are we going to see some of the new Pokemon with new forms? What about the world is different from the previous games? What about the story? ect.

While at the same time its clear that this is NOT a sequel which is a bit disappointing because one of the truly good things of Sun and Moon was Lillie being an actual character with an arc (which we don't get to see much of in Pokemon) and the ending made me think we were going to continue her story either as her or alongside her but this seems to be a completely different idea altogether.

The lack of information just seems to suggest this is going to be a very lackluster 'third' version. I wouldn't be nearly as worried if they games weren't coming out in 3 months.

Kyzer

Banned
XY were great but felt like playing through a story of Puppy Patrol or something it had no soul, I thought for sure there was gonna be a Z Version just from how bland the story in XY were, and that it was basically like a placeholder

Honestly if they don't expand on Alolan forms I'm not buying.
Those were the best thing about Sun and Moon.
Also fix the trials to make them better my goodness.

The biggest problem I have with this reveal is we still have no idea what the hell these games are. It's been months since the games were announced with rather confusing statements about what exactly were doing to see in these games.

Okay one Pokemon that had as split form now has a new form, okay fine but does this mean were getting more previous generation pokemon with new Alolan forms? Are we going to see some of the new Pokemon with new forms? What about the world is different from the previous games? What about the story? ect.

While at the same time its clear that this is NOT a sequel which is a bit disappointing because one of the truly good things of Sun and Moon was Lillie being an actual character with an arc (which we don't get to see much of in Pokemon) and the ending made me think we were going to continue her story either as her or alongside her but this seems to be a completely different idea altogether.

The lack of information just seems to suggest this is going to be a very lackluster 'third' version. I wouldn't be nearly as worried if they games weren't coming out in 3 months.

I feel the same way. It's clear that they want us to be excited for this, but we still have no idea what the game actually entails.

Forkball

All Pokemon gens are the worst. That's one of the unique things about the series. I mean no one is going to say Super Mario World is the worst Mario or FFVI is the worst Final Fantasy, that's madness. But there are many who consider Gen I the worst, or Gen II the worst, or Gen III the worst etc. Conversely, there are many who consider Gen I the best, Gen II the best, Gen III the best etc. This is possibly due to nostalgia, but even those who have played Pokemon since the beginning probably have very different opinions on the highs and lows of the series. Though newer Gens certainly get a lot of backlash since it's the most fresh.

psgenvi>genviithoughistilllikegenviialot

All Pokemon gens are the worst. That's one of the unique things about the series. I mean no one is going to say Super Mario World is the worst Mario or FFVI is the worst Final Fantasy, that's madness. But there are many who consider Gen I the worst, or Gen II the worst, or Gen III the worst etc. Conversely, there are many who consider Gen I the best, Gen II the best, Gen III the best etc. This is possibly due to nostalgia, but even those who have played Pokemon since the beginning probably have very different opinions on the highs and lows of the series. Though newer Gens certainly get a lot of backlash since it's the most fresh.

To be honest I don't find any bad but improving. Gen 7 is good I just felt like there wasn't enough improvement(getting rid of te gyms was good but the longer tutorial and lack of PSS was a regress).

JoeM86

Typically it's the previous generation that sucks, the generation before that which is currently beloved, and the generation before that which "needs a remake"

Otaku Coder

Neo Member
Typically it's the previous generation that sucks, the generation before that which is currently beloved, and the generation before that which "needs a remake"

Are people really big on X/Y though? After the honeymoon period ended I saw a lot of peeps really sour on that one.

Black/White gets some love (mostly for the story from what I've seen) but I haven't seen anyone clamouring for a remake.

Are people really big on X/Y though? After the honeymoon period ended I saw a lot of peeps really sour on that one.

Black/White gets some love (mostly for the story from what I've seen) but I haven't seen anyone clamouring for a remake.
I mean to be honest gen V doesn't need one. Gen 4 doesn't need one either but with how slow it is then improve that

VegiHam

No man, SM is the current generation; so the previous gen which sucks is XY; the current good one is BW and DP is the one that needs the remake. All of which is true.

Top Bottom