• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon key art spotted on retailer poster

Toxi

Banned
I'm not talking about the old dude and the curvy lady, but the ones you fight in the basement. Don't they have unique designs, like the masked face thingie?

god they are so forgettable
...You mean the generic lab researchers? I don't think they were ever intended to be significant characters. They didn't have unique designs individually.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
OK I haven't been keeping up with the news of this game at all but is this game a Special/3rd Version like Pokemon Platinum or is this a "Sequel" like Pokemon Black/White 2?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
...You mean the generic lab researchers? I don't think they were ever intended to be significant characters. They didn't have unique designs individually.
yeah them, not talking about them being meaningful, I was just wondering if their design is sorta similar to the ones in the poster

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Remember last week when people were insisting USUM wouldn't have anything new?

How times change

As soon as ORAS added new megas I knew the next third version would have at the very least more forms, just that Z never happened to prove me right. Going full on new Pokémon was always a possibility in the era of patches.

jnWake

I agree that the new villains look kinda Galactic-ish. Guess it's the slight hint of purple haha.

How times change

Most rational people knew the games would have new stuff, but that doesn't mean Gamefreak has been particularly good at showing it.

JoeM86

Most rational people knew the games would have new stuff, but that doesn't mean Gamefreak has been particularly good at showing it.

I've been dealing with very irrational people recently in regards to this. It's like they forgot what an enhanced version is.

Nightfall

Actually don't they look like those trio of scientists in the basement?

This isn't even a question of design or such, but how is it possible for you not to notice the composition? Two protagonists in the center, the three Pokemon form a triangle, supporting cast even behind with the legendaries even behind. That's a very typical composition.

Sure, but the designs are just so weird. I mean one of them has a bow string in his armpit?

Pokemaniac

Hmm, part of me wonders whether or not this will reference Sun and Moon at all. Especially since Gen VII has already been really big on the alternate dimensions thing.

JoeM86

Hmm, part of me wonders whether or not this will reference Sun and Moon at all. Especially since Gen VII has already been really big on the alternate dimensions thing.

You're reading too much into it. It's an enhanced version, like Emerald. It's not a sequel.

I've been dealing with very irrational people recently in regards to this. It's like they forgot what an enhanced version is.

Its been nine years since we got an proper enhanced version (Platinum). Five if you wanna argue that Black 2 & White 2 were too.

Rules are out of the window. People expect new content and we haven't seen any true gamechangers yet.

Frankly, the Pokemon Company should have done better than revealing all this stuff only 2 months before release.

JoeM86

Its been nine years since we got an proper enhanced version (Platinum). Five if you wanna argue that Black 2 & White 2 were too.

Rules are out of the window. People expect new content and we haven't seen any true gamechangers yet.

Frankly, the Pokemon Company should have done better than revealing all this stuff only 2 months before release.

New Pokémon is a game changer... They have also shown new content. Already this game looks like it's the enhanced version with the most additional content.

Macka

Lillie has a Pokeball and is in her later costume? Is...Is she a trainer?

Those new villains are probably additional villainous Aether employees to add to the main story. Kinda like how Pokemon Platinum and Black2/White2 added additional villain team members.

Also, I'm calling it now: Lillie already in her ponytail outfit implies that USUM will take place in an alternate universe where the events of SuMo already occurred without your player character.

If we're seeing end-game Lillie then maybe the new story content only takes place near the end or post-game like Platinum or OR/AS. Be nice if there were more places to go post-game than the Battle Tree.
We already know that Lillie starts the game the game way, at the very least.

8k2dO5K.jpg

Look, back in the day, they explicitly mentioned BW2's new content as a reason for making two games. Making two extremely similar games to SM is nothing short of a cash-grab.

Yes cause we know ALL about US/UM to make that kind of comparison right? It's clear that the main focus is going to be Pokemon for the Switch but who knows when that will come out. So they're giving us this while we wait. You have the complete liberty to not buy it and be satisfied with the fact that you think it's a cash grab.

Heck for all we know US/UM will not be very good. But it's still a third version that's been split into two games. That's how GF is operating on this one.

Orb

It's cool that we're getting new villains!

I guess it's too much to ask for Lusamine to be
a good person in this one
?
Id be so down with a twist that in this universe she wasn't under the control of UBs

Edit: I don't really consider 2 UBs as a ground breaking "new pokemon in same gen! "

They're equivalent to megas

Razmos

Edit: I don't really consider 2 UBs as a ground breaking "new pokemon in same gen! "

What? In what way shape or form are they equivalent to megas? They are brand new unique Pokemon, not forms.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Everything looks great.

But Hau is still there, so not everything has been improved.

Id be so down with a twist that in this universe she wasn't under the control of UBs

This is simply and outright a straight up lie. They are base Pokémon.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

What? They're literally new Pokémon.

Ydelnae

How times change

I might have missed how some new artwork with 3 faded new characters would warrant a "told you so" moment, but aside of us getting two new Pokémon with these games, the game still feel like they don't bring anything new to the table and seem lazy for the potential Gen VII had.

I doubt anyone meant that USUM were literally going to be the same SM games with the new Necrozma forms instead of the usual legendaries, so extrapolating to that as if anyone disappointed with the game is being proven constantly wrong with every news/trailer release is amusing to me. People felt since the beginning that these games were going to regress to third version status with less exciting additions and that is exactly what has been shown so far in pre-release media.

luulubuu

I might have missed how some new artwork with 3 faded new characters would warrant a "told you so" moment, but aside of us getting two new Pokémon with these games, the game still feel like they don't bring anything new to the table and seem lazy for the potential Gen VII had.

I doubt anyone meant that USUM were literally going to be the same SM games with the new Necrozma forms instead of the usual legendaries, so extrapolating to that as if anyone disappointed with the game is being proven constantly wrong with every news/trailer release is amusing to me. People felt since the beginning that these games were going to regress to third version status with less exciting additions and that is exactly what has been shown so far in pre-release media.

Lazy.

The vanilla version was released under a year ago and they still expanded the game in months.

how is that lazy.

Razmos

I'm of the opinion that the new characters are so oddly dressed likely because they come from the ultra world. They might be Ultra Beast trainers who travel through the portals. That's what I think

Aleh

This art is amazing, it gives me Platinum story vibes which is awesome. Lillie please catch Nebby this time, I felt so bad when you let me have it.
The new characters are interesting too, hopefully we'll know more about them soon.
Damn now I almost want to buy the game.

Giga Man

I'm of the opinion that the new characters are so oddly dressed likely because they come from the ultra world. They might be Ultra Beast trainers who travel through the portals. That's what I think

Will we go into the Ultra World and catch 150 different Ultra Beasts?!

Crayolan

Look, back in the day, they explicitly mentioned BW2's new content as a reason for making two games. Making two extremely similar games to SM is nothing short of a cash-grab.

I mean, yeah? But this is nothing new for pokemon, it's been the same story almost every generation. I don't see why people are so upset over this. If you don't like it, don't buy it, but for pokemon diehards its nice to get an improved gen 7 game. It's not like if this game didn't exist gen 8 would come any faster.

JoeM86

Ok so let's look at it like this

We have many new areas in Alola. That only happened in Emerald
We have two new Pokémon. That never happened.
We have new moves. That has only happened in ORAS.
We also have new features like Alola Photo Club.
We've seen many elements of new story aspects such as a focus on Necrozma (Solgaleo & Lunala were never really a story focus), change in how you meet starters and these new mysterious characters, tied with the fact that Lillie is seen with a Poké Ball.

This is clearly the most enhanced version to have exist. It's silly to dismiss it by saying it has "less exciting additions". For christ's sake, they've added brand new Pokémon which they have never done before.

The irony that hits me hard is that people were clamouring for Z, and yet many of the same people are now trashing USUM for being an enhanced version

Kyzer

Banned
Platinum was amazing and it had mediocre games as a base. USUM start with amazing games already and all we've seen so far is promising. Looking good!

My thoughts (almost) exactly! I wouldnt call DP mediocre, they were awful. Almost ruined Pokemon for me, battle speed was unplayable. Pt is one of my absolute favorites.

ash_ag

The concept of alternate dimensions and Fallers would be pretty empty if it doesn't. It seemed meaningless on its own, but as a setup for USUM it could be rather interesting. A lot of people have been speculating that SM Mohn is actually a Faller originally from the USUM universe, and his SM universe counterpart may be in USUM. With that in mind, I think he could very well be the big bad of the game instead of Lusamine.

Kyzer

Banned
The concept of alternate dimensions and Fallers would be pretty empty if it doesn't. It seemed meaningless on its own, but as a setup for USUM it could be rather interesting. A lot of people have been speculating that SM Mohn is actually a Faller originally from the USUM universe, and his SM universe counterpart may be in USUM. With that in mind, I think he could very well be the big bad of the game instead of Lusamine.

Oh shit
lillies dad

If lusamine is this bad her dad is probably the dad from Resident Evil 7

JoeM86

I think people are really reading way too much into the whole alternate universe thing.
I'm curious to really see just how much is changed and added. We really haven't seen anything.

We have though. Why do people keep saying this?

We have new Pokémon that are integrated in the story and show significant change.

I know this question might seem a little stupid,

But I have sun and plan to get ultra sun.

Whats the best course of action? treat them as separate games or drag all my pokemon and items (not sure how) into US?

and then keep hold of ultra sun as my main game?

I know its a little daft but I never got the enhanced version of the game before.

( I waited when diamond and pearl came out and then got Platinum)

JoeM86

I know this question might seem a little stupid,

But I have sun and plan to get ultra sun.

Whats the best course of action? treat them as separate games or drag all my pokemon and items (not sure how) into US?

and then keep hold of ultra sun as my main game?

I know its a little daft but I never got the enhanced version of the game before.

( I waited when diamond and pearl came out and then got Platinum)

Treat them as separate games then Bank the Pokémon over to Ultra Sun if you wish :)

PsionBolt

That is some fantastic key art, wow. Gives the better starters a more prominent place and everything.
I know some folks grumble about the old style being better, but for me, new Pokemon art is kinda amazingly top-tier.

That's the most emotional I've seen the player characters look

Seriously! It's like, American Kirby levels of emoting. I'm used to seeing them with maniac smiles no matter the circumstances, but actual slightly-angry faces? Just what could have brought this about, and what chaos is the world about to suffer as a consequence? Only time will tell...

Not

Banned
Wait, how did Lillie get Cosmog back? I thought he evolved into a giant cosmic Lion/Bat.

I know, I don't remember the plot of Sun/Moon, weird

I liked the characters, not the plot

EDIT: OH this is an alternate universe, not a sequel

My bad

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Sure, but the designs are just so weird. I mean one of them has a bow string in his armpit?

I don't like Decidueye too but where did you get the armpit from? It's the string from his hoodie (which also "closes" the hood like a raincoat) that acts as the bow's string.

Top Bottom