• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon key art spotted on retailer poster

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
...Except that's literally what the alternate world you can access with your legendary is, LOL

Aren't alternate worlds so far connected to the main world? Giratina, etc.

Really the only anomaly is the post game but it's post game.

God I fucking hate Zinnia and the garbage she spewed out with passion I wish we could kill her in-game too.

wwm0nkey

The one on the right reminds me of

Scrolling through this image on the dark theme in Mobile is weird

GoldStarz

They very clearly hinted that Gen VI and VII are in alternate universes compared to the original games. I don't see how you could miss something so blatant. Sun/Moon even further focuses on different dimensions and people passing through them (Annabelle, Looker). Hopefully we get some sort of conclusion to this story point.
I don't get where people get that from? With the link cable reference, it seems more likely that each individual game (as in each game, not each version) is it's own universe than anything. It would explain why the Red you fight doesn't have the same exact team you did: because they're not your Red.

Similar to how you're actually the jerk rival in Gen VI, I realized that you're a psychopath in gen VII. It's the only way everything makes sense.

Our rival keeps insisting on battling me and then complains how they should be the one winning and we're the jerks? You must have to be a saint to be considered nice by these standards.

Puruzi

Banned
I don't get where people get that from? With the link cable reference, it seems more likely that each individual game (as in each game, not each version) is it's own universe than anything. It would explain why the Red you fight doesn't have the same exact team you did: because they're not your Red.

Our rival keeps insisting on battling me and then complains how they should be the one winning and we're the jerks? You must have to be a saint to be considered nice by these standards.

We're the jerks because we keep destroying them and every time they lose they get progressively sadder until they just stand alone in a corner forever in the post game island

lmao

they imply that the meteor would be sent to a universe without the Mega Evolution needed to defend themselves from the meteor, i.e. the Gen 3 world

Besides that, Anabel is implied to be from the Gen 3 universe because, in the Gen 6/7 universe, the Battle Tower doesn't exist for Anabel to rule at, and when you fight her at the Battle Tree, it uses the original GBA Frontier Brain music even though a higher quality recreation exists from the ORAS Battle Maison.

It's all hints in the end, though, nothing definitive.

Crayolan

Gen 6 needed a "let rival have the mega bracelet" option, not like I ever used it anyway. Then maybe I wouldn't feel bad about beating them so badly.

Boss Doggie

what

You've been posting too long on /vp/ dude.

Jokes on you I haven't been posting there since the XYZ anime ended!

She's the only character in the game that really grates on my nerves really. Hell even Lillie is likable, I only hate how they construed her into the game but not her character itself. Can't say the same for Zinnia.

Delio

Jokes on you I haven't been posting there since the XYZ anime ended!

She's the only character in the game that really grates on my nerves really. Hell even Lillie is likable, I only hate how they construed her into the game but not her character itself. Can't say the same for Zinnia.

Doesnt everyone hate Lillie just the same as Zinnia?

Toxi

Banned
LOL wat

Lillie is probably the most popular character from Sun and Moon.

And the idea that "everyone hates Zinnia" seems more based on image board circle jerks than reality.

LotusHD

Banned

LOL no

Even for those who dislike or even hate Lillie, going off of what I've heard about Zinnia, she is on an entirely different plane of existence. Hell, even just sticking to GAF, you got people that apparently want to kill Zinnia, where at best people found Lillie to be annoying.

"Man do I hate Cynthia! She's the worst!" - Fanboy who discovered that his waifu isn't a pure as he thinks she is since its mentioned that she
HAS A KID!!!!
!

nickgia

We're crushing their dreams. All the while we have a 50 yard stare and a smile on our face. Plus, you get to choose what your crew calls you. Pick something like U-God and you're on the level of Blue.

Toxi

Banned
And you know who people really hate? Cynthia. Ugh, can't stand her.
Of course, Cynthia is just Pokemon's version of Lightning from Final Fantasy. A character the developers love but none of that fans likes and they just push her in every damn game.

This is seriously what some Pokemon fans think.

nickgia

Of course, Cynthia is just Pokemon's version of Lightning from Final Fantasy. A character the developers love but none of that fans likes and they just push her in every damn game.

How can anyone compare the best champion to Lightning????????????

Real talk. I don't like N that much. I thought he was okay.

Must be why Gen 5 isn't as fondly remembered to me unlike 90 percent of GAF.

Well better start cranking up my flame shield.

LotusHD

Banned
Real talk. I don't like N that much. I thought he was okay.

Must be why Gen 5 isn't as fondly remembered to me unlike 90 percent of GAF.

Well better start cranking up my flame shield.

Meh, are any of the characters from these games really worth putting a flame shield for

Except Lillie

Boss Doggie

no lillie is fine and people like her

what they do hate are the forced cutscenes

And the idea that "everyone hates Zinnia" seems more based on image board circle jerks than reality.

lol no it's even beyond imageboards

This reasoning is as bad as saying "people hate LoK because of the lesbian end!"

Forkball

they imply that the meteor would be sent to a universe without the Mega Evolution needed to defend themselves from the meteor, i.e. the Gen 3 world

Besides that, Anabel is implied to be from the Gen 3 universe because, in the Gen 6/7 universe, the Battle Tower doesn't exist for Anabel to rule at, and when you fight her at the Battle Tree, it uses the original GBA Frontier Brain music even though a higher quality recreation exists from the ORAS Battle Maison.

It's all hints in the end, though, nothing definitive.
Not to mention the game opens with you playing the original GBA game, plus Looker is found washed up on the shore after losing his memory in ORAS. SM reveals that fallers lose their memory, which also explains Mohn. I definitely think USUM will focus on interdimensional wackiness and possibly resolve UBS bursting through so casually.

CazTGG

Huh who are they? At first i thought they were just Aether grunts but clearly they arent.

They look a bit like Team Plasma members and Colress *was* in Alola. Hmm...

Yes I know he quit Plasma in B2/W2 but this is an alternate universe. Maybe in this one, he stuck with Team Plasma and expanded their reach to these islands?

Gen V was so hated when it launched and it's still hated by some to this day. I remember not liking it either but warmed up to it a few years after.

Toxi

Banned
lol no it's even beyond imageboards

This reasoning is as bad as saying "people hate LoK because of the lesbian end!"
When it's beyond imageboards, it's from people who still post like they're on imageboards.

I think the fandom in general doesn't really care either way about Zinnia. The reasons people on /vp/ or the like hate her are generally things only a niche will care about ("She was pushed by her creator!" "She does something really stupid in the story of a Pokemon game!").

This is the same fandom where Cynthia is generally one of the most popular champions because she has a fun, challenging battle with cool music.

wmlk

Zinnia is so bad. Her entire arc only existed so Game Freak could introduce this dumb multiverse lore, and they just tagged her along for the fun of it.

Her character just screams, "Hey, I'm here and I'm gonna be a big deal for two hours!"

Toxi

Banned
Zinnia is so bad. Her entire arc only existed so Game Freak could introduce this dumb multiverse lore, and they just tagged her along for the fun of it.

Her character just screams, "Hey, I'm here and I'm gonna be a big deal for two hours!"
I'm pretty sure Zinnia (and the Delta Episode story in general) only existed to add some story to the big cool Super Mega Ultra Legendary Rayquaza.

Gamefreak doesn't give a shit about multiverse lore. Multiverse lore doesn't pay the bills. Super Mega Ultra Legendary Rayquaza does.

Boss Doggie

When it's beyond imageboards, it's from people who still post like they're on imageboards.

I think the fandom in general doesn't really care either way about Zinnia. The reasons people on /vp/ or the like hate her are generally things only a niche will care about ("She was pushed by her creator!" "She does something really stupid in the story of a Pokemon game!").

This is the same fandom where Cynthia is generally one of the most popular champions because she has a fun, challenging battle with cool music.
well cynthia and zinnia are like day and night, and one is actually decent with her showing

jnWake

The entire point of Delta Episode was awesome battle in space but people get hung on 2 lines of dialogue about alternate Hoenn.

Toxi

Banned
Zinnia's existence is justified solely by her incredible battle theme, even if everything else about her is meh.
That's basically my opinion on her too. Also the fight's actually pretty fun if you avoid using the Mega Rayquaza (Though goddamn does the game want you to use that thing).

Zinnia talks way too fucking much, but so does everyone else in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. And X and Y. And Sun and Moon. And Black and White.

The entire point of Delta Episode was awesome battle in space but people get hung on 2 lines of dialogue about alternate Hoenn.
Yeah, it's kinda hilarious.

Toxi

Banned
I'm more hung up on all the crap you have to do to get to that minute long battle in space.
I'm surprised Numel and Camerupt haven't gone extinct after killing what seems like a million of them in Omega Ruby.

And then Courtney shows up with her amazing trump card: Mega Camerupt! Again. At a level below any of the Champion's Pokemon.

LOL

I'm pretty positive, I remember reading someone make this exact statement on GAF actually.

Personally, Lillie is the only character that I've actually liked or cared about it anyway. Although I do like to see cameos of various recurring npcs throughout the series such as Cynthia, Looker, Annabel, Red, Blue, etc. I thought the post game quest with Looker, Annabel and Nanu was also really well done in Sun and Moon. With the new UBs, I wonder if they will expand on the post game quest or alter it in anyway.

Gen V was so hated when it launched and it's still hated by some to this day. I remember not liking it either but warmed up to it a few years after.

Completely anecdotal but it has always seemed like 90% of Poke-GAF loves Gen 5. I wouldn't say I hate Gen 5 since all the games play similar enough that I find it weird for anyone to hate one game but love another. I do think it's overated. The plot was okay and the post-game quest, while better than most mainline games, wasn't really even fun. The world was interesting enough and pretty big. I'm a fan of every Pokemon gen, there are some I like and there are some I don't. With that said Gen 5 was the most polarizing generation of Pokemon designs for me.

I barely even remember Zinnia. I thought she was gonna be involved more and even appear in S/M but nope
Zinnia is in S/M in the post game quest for 30 seconds.

All I remember thinking was that if Zinnia just took a little bit more time to, oh I don't know, explain more about what the heck was going on to the NPCs then maybe she wouldn't have had to make me do so much crap to fix her problems.

And then there's her Whismur. Aster??? Mind giving me a little bit more info besides the occasional nostalgic sigh and doting on the little guy? No? Okay then!

Lillie though? Now there's someone I can hang out with!

Yeah i guess this is it. I hear a ton of "omg i hate that im forced to play HER story" a ton. But i guess thats just noise.
I mean the story telling in S/M especially in the beginning was awful. It was frustrating how many times you got stopped with cutscenes. I don't think people should necessarily conflate that with the character.

Top Bottom