• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Slim model (CECH-3000B) cuts power consumption, weight, small cosmetic change

gbovo

pharmboy044 said:
Sony needs to take that power supply out of the case and make a new truly slim version of the PS3.

I guess that will happen when it hits $199.
It might actually cost more money for Sony to make the psu external, due to more material needed for a power brick.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
pharmboy044 said:
Sony needs to take that power supply out of the case and make a new truly slim version of the PS3.

I guess that will happen when it hits $199.
What a weird thing to want. Power bricks are the worst.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hey, Sony. If you're dropping the price, why not add in PS2 BC instead?

What's that? Not going to happen? And you're not going to fix my PS2 BC PS3 for free? Yeah?

FUCK YOU THEN.

androvsky

dak1dsk1 said:
I wonder if its BC.

Sorry, you'll have to rely on the hackers for that.
http://www.cobra-usb.com/index.html
Added an option for those users without a PS2 backwards compatible PS3 (including Slims) to test PS2 original games and ISO backups using the PS2 software only emulator which is by default included with all PS3's. Please note however that as the software only emulator is slow and very buggy, this feature is disabled by default and is only intended as a gimmick
Was tempted to spoiler the last sentence. :)

Of course, these new Slims will certainly have the newer firmware with the new keys already installed, so even that won't work.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
TheSeks said:

What's that? Not going to happen? And you're not going to fix my PS2 BC PS3 for free? Yeah?

FUCK YOU THEN.
BHZZl.jpg

theBishop

Banned
I hope it's true. The current slim model isn't slim enough to shelf my 60GB launch unit. But I would like a quieter unit that saps less power.

1-D_FTW

diddles said:
probably means the power supply dropped from a 230 watt spec version to a 200 watt spec one? doesn't mean that's what it's actually pulling from the wall at all times, just its peak output supported.

Exactly. Although it's reasonable to think the peak usage dropped from 115 watts to 100.

Massa

Surprised it's the same HD size. This will be the first year in the PS3's life Sony doesn't bump it.

06 -> 20/60
07 -> 40/80
08 -> 80/160
09 -> 120/250
10 -> 160/320

Dance In My Blood said:
I personally do not want a brick for a power supply but to entice new customers Sony should make a new slim model.
And the only way to make that new slim is to take out the power supply.

Fezan

Dance In My Blood said:
Power crick outside means less heat produced and less chance of getting errors.moreover they can also use cheaper alternative for cooling???
also you dont have to open up ps3 just for some problem in power supply

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Really good news.
If Sony can put this on the market for $199 then it will be quite an amazing value proposition.
Chittagong said:
Goddammit Sony, now we still won't know who will win the generation. First it was 360 leading with a huge margin, then BOOM Wii out of nowhere to the lead, Sony dropping last, then 360 back to the lead with Kinect, Wii to last place, 360 heading for the win for good but now Sony re-emerges with staying power and superb value with cheap PS3

Most confusing generation ever
It's easy to have a huge margin over the competition when they haven't hit the market yet.
Also, Wii is still in the lead. Though with the gen looking to last quite a while longer and the 360 and PS3 growing in popularity as the Wii falls off a cliff, obviously that won't be the case when all's said and done.

Revolver

TheSeks said:

FUCK YOU THEN.

My 80gig with BC just died so I'm fucking pissed. I took care of that thing like a baby. It would have been 3 years old in August. Now I have a glossy brick sitting there reminding me never to buy hardware early on ever again.

I will guess this new model will have some new security features they cant just patch into old models.

First new model since all the ps3 CFW stuff happened.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Revolver said:
Now I have a glossy brick sitting there reminding me never to buy hardware early on ever again.

Had you not you would never have gotten that sweet BC to begin with :(

zero_suit

Krev said:
Really good news.
If Sony can put this on the market for $199 then it will be quite an amazing value proposition.

It's easy to have a huge margin over the competition when they haven't hit the market yet.
Also, Wii is still in the lead. Though with the gen looking to last quite a while longer and the 360 and PS3 growing in popularity as the Wii falls off a cliff, obviously that won't be the case when all's said and done.

Yup, 30+ million ahead. It won the "race" ages ago.

TheSeks said:

Uh, building a ps2 onto the motherboard like the early models increases production costs, does not make it cheaper. You won't see ps2 software emulation until the ps4. Just hope for more HD ports until then.

And they need to drop the price because right now ps3 is $299 and they are competing with $150 Wii and $199 360.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
it doesnt matter if wii is still in the lead. they're going to start over again with Wii U.

also, they better put a ps2 back into that ps3 one of these days and charge 400 dollars for it or something. at least people can stop whining.

H_Prestige said:
Uh, building a ps2 onto the motherboard like the early models increases production costs, does not make it cheaper.

He's saying Sony should keep the existing price point and add PS2 support back in.

It's not happening, guys. The dream is dead.

hiro4

Ether_Snake said:
Do they really have to wait for a lot of patches? I'm guessing the thing comes patched.
I think he means the older games you can now buy cheap.

I remember buying Burnout Paradise last year and had to patch it with 2 gig of data. Same with Pain for PSN: 1.3 gig.

That sucks with this generation. If I buy a game I want to put it in and play it. Dont want to wait another two hours for patches and install files.

Changes to the eject/power buttons? How can they make them even worse (i.e. cheaper) than what they already are? I really like my 60gb's touch sensitive buttons. Feels so sleek.

M.D

Fezan said:
Power crick outside means less heat produced and less chance of getting errors.moreover they can also use cheaper alternative for cooling???
also you dont have to open up ps3 just for some problem in power supply

I'll take more reliable hardware over no power brick

Why the hell is console hardware not reliable anyway? You'd think when they make the same box with the same parts millions of times, there would be no reason for hardware problems

Why do PC's with with different parts from different companies are so reliable and work perfectly together, but these companies can't make a box that won't break at some point in it life :|

Man

PS2 BC support will be a PS4 and higher feature. The best games are coming out in HD variants anyways..

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i just bought a replacement new 320gb ps3 3 weeks ago....

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

elsk

Banned
Still waiting for the price drop to 199$.

hiro4 said:
I think he means the older games you can now buy cheap.

I remember buying Burnout Paradise last year and had to patch it with 2 gig of data. Same with Pain for PSN: 1.3 gig.

That sucks with this generation. If I buy a game I want to put it in and play it. Dont want to wait another two hours for patches and install files.

That's one of the good things about Xbox, Microsoft really knows how to do software-related things for the system.

M.D said:

Why the hell is console hardware not reliable anyway? You'd think when they make the same box with the same parts millions of times, there would be no reason for hardware problems

Why do PC's with with different parts from different companies are so reliable and work perfectly together, but these companies can't make a box that won't break at some point in it life :|
What?

And I think quality control issues stem from mass production, not solved by it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So I take it this is the revision with the new BD copy protection.

Rumor: New PS3 revision coming, new copy protection along with BD-J for BD-3D

According to a well-placed industry source who wishes to remain anonymous, developers were recently notified that a new revision of the PlayStation 3 is in the testing process that will feature a new copy protection system not on the motherboard but inside the BD-ROM drive itself, similar to the Xbox 360.

Presumably this would at least prevent these newer consoles from running copied games with an additional layer of authentication. It’s likely that there will be some kind of watermark on genuine PlayStation 3 discs that the drive is looking for. All of these measures are in response to the acquisition of the PS3 root encryption key earlier this year (2011) by hacker GeoHot which allows unlicensed code to be run on the PlayStation without restriction.

This new hardware revision will be accompanied by a firmware upgrade that contains newly optimized Blu-ray playback drivers that can now handle BD-Java during Blu-ray 3D playback, at least on the 2D level.

This is a godsend for Blu-ray authors because they no longer have to author discs 3 times. Once for 2D, once for PS3 and once for full power BD3D.

There is no news whether or not this new firmware will also bring lossless audio to PS3 3D playback but our source indicates they doubt that this feature will be added any time soon due to the number of SPEs decoding the additional 1080p stream occupies.

This hardware revision is expected to accompany a price drop on the system hardware that could come as early as the Tokyo Game Show this September (2011).

theBishop

Banned
Massa said:
Surprised it's the same HD size. This will be the first year in the PS3's life Sony doesn't bump it.

06 -> 20/60
07 -> 40/80
08 -> 80/160
09 -> 120/250
10 -> 160/320

2.5" drives have hit a wall. Only a few manufacturers are making drives larger than 1TB. The vast majority of laptops ship with 500 gb drives, which would be a decent chunk of the PS3's bill of materials. I'm surprised they're up to 320GB to be honest. There isn't much need for it, even with 8GB game installs.

Still no USB port in the back?

Come on Sony. At least someone from the hardware team with a little taste for a clean set up must be asking himself why they are only having USB ports in the front. Their designers can't really be that ignorant.

M.D said:

Really? Have you ever built your own PC?

Also, when you're trying to cram a PC with a high-end video card that runs hot into a compact environment (which a PC case most definitely is NOT), you're bound to run into heating/cooling issues, which are the dominant hardware failures in both 360 and PS3 units.

androvsky

Gravijah said:
I wouldn't say best. I would just say most popular.
I wish. A random few of some of the more popular games is more like it. No Final Fantasy collection is really bugging me...

Gravijah said:
I wouldn't say best. I would just say most popular.
Maybe. But Konami is bringing over ZOE. I don't think that series is popular.

I wish. A random few of some of the more popular games is more like it. No Final Fantasy collection is really bugging me...

It's coming. It just makes too much damn sense. We already know they are looking into porting PSP games to the PS3. The idea of porting PS2 games has to occur to them.

Gravijah

androvsky said:

Well, let's just say quite a few of my favorite PS2 games will never see an HD collection.

H_Prestige said:
Maybe. But Konami is bringing over ZOE. I don't think that series is popular.

ZOE collection is a very nice exception.

androvsky said:

IMO, it's Square's style to find a way to sell them separately instead of a pack of three (FF 10, 10-2, 12).

Luckyman

Banned
zero_suit said:
Yup, 30+ million ahead. It won the "race" ages ago.

Not so fast. PS2 still sells 5+ million a year.. X360 and PS3 will be on the market quite a bit longer game support than Wii

Lupin the Wolf said:
IMO, it's Square's style to find a way to sell them separately instead of a pack of three (FF 10, 10-2, 12).
They can sell them separately through PSN can't they? I think that was the case for PoP collection.

zero_suit

Luckyman said:
Not so fast. PS2 still sells 5+ million a year.. X360 and PS3 will be on the market quite a bit longer game support than Wii

Yeah, but none of the consoles this gen are the PS2.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Benjamin1981 said:
Still no USB port in the back?

Come on Sony. At least someone from the hardware team with a little taste for a clean set up must be asking himself why they are only having USB ports in the front. Their designers can't really be that ignorant.
now this I can agree with.

Tellaerin

alr1ghtstart said:
well of course, but that goes with everything. You still missed out on 4+ years of games.

The games are all still there. They're just a lot cheaper now. I wouldn't necessarily call that missing out.

M.D said:

I'm guessing it's because PC parts suppliers don't have to worry about balancing quality against cost the way console-makers do. With a console, you're trying to put together a system powerful enough to stay relevant for a few years (since the hardware's not upgradeable) and bring the total component cost down to the point where you're not losing a ton of money on each unit sold. (Though that may happen anyway, you're still going to do your best to minimize it.) So you're talking about a balancing act. Corners get cut to save on manufacturing costs, and that negatively impacts reliability. It sucks, but what can you do?

Massa

Tellaerin said:
The games are all still there. They're just a lot cheaper now. I wouldn't necessarily call that missing out.

Right, but who has the time to catch up on 4 years of games with so many awesome new ones coming out? You're bound to miss a ton of stuff.

Alrus

Chittagong said:
Goddammit Sony, now we still won't know who will win the generation. First it was 360 leading with a huge margin, then BOOM Wii out of nowhere to the lead, Sony dropping last, then 360 back to the lead with Kinect, Wii to last place, 360 heading for the win for good but now Sony re-emerges with staying power and superb value with cheap PS3

Most confusing generation ever

But the Wii is still first? And it's been leading european sales since the price drop too.

Revolver

Corky said:
Had you not you would never have gotten that sweet BC to begin with :(

Well, mine had partial BC. I got caught somewhere in-between. Not early enough for full BC and too early for more reliable hardware. I'm gonna miss that giant, energy sucking monster though. I got a lot of use out of it. Man, I've just had sucky luck this gen.

Top Bottom