• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Slim model (CECH-3000B) cuts power consumption, weight, small cosmetic change

zero_suit

Alrus said:
But the Wii is still first? And it's been leading european sales since the price drop too.

Maybe they're just focusing on NA numbers? The Wii was still the highest selling console WW last year.

derder

this will be the 2007 price cut all over again

I'll be picking up a current slim model for $200 once I can find one.

Alastor

Tellaerin said:
The games are all still there. They're just a lot cheaper now. I wouldn't necessarily call that missing out.

The question is, do you have the time for playing old games that are cheap AND new releases?

M.D

Lupin the Wolf said:
Really? Have you ever built your own PC?

Also, when you're trying to cram a PC with a high-end video card that runs hot into a compact environment (which a PC case most definitely is NOT), you're bound to run into heating/cooling issues, which are the dominant hardware failures in both 360 and PS3 units.

What do you mean? Physically? Back in late 08 when I bought my PC, I picked the parts with the help of some people and some research. The store I bought it from actually built the PC

I didn't mean literally building a PC, just that you can build a PC with parts from different manufactures and it generally quite reliable, but a console which is built the same way millions of times is generally not reliable

Tellaerin said:
The games are all still there. They're just a lot cheaper now. I wouldn't necessarily call that missing out.

I'm guessing it's because PC parts suppliers don't have to worry about balancing quality against cost the way console-makers do. With a console, you're trying to put together a system powerful enough to stay relevant for a few years (since the hardware's not upgradeable) and bring the total component cost down to the point where you're not losing a ton of money on each unit sold. (Though that may happen anyway, you're still going to do your best to minimize it.) So you're talking about a balancing act. Corners get cut to save on manufacturing costs, and that negatively impacts reliability. It sucks, but what can you do?

I guess you're right. It does suck big time.
I never feel comfortable playing a console for hours and hours. I always expect it to break at some point in it life :\

I'd take Sony's 2 more years of warranty deal, but it only available in the US :\

Is Nintendo hardware generally considered more reliable?

theBishop said:
2.5" drives have hit a wall. Only a few manufacturers are making drives larger than 1TB. The vast majority of laptops ship with 500 gb drives, which would be a decent chunk of the PS3's bill of materials. I'm surprised they're up to 320GB to be honest. There isn't much need for it, even with 8GB game installs.

I think a 500GB is around the same price as a 320GB for the end consumer, so it would be negligible for Sony while adding perceived value. I'm also surprised they didn't up the HDD.

I also don't think n wifi is coming otherwise it would've shown on the FCC leak.

This lower wattage consumption probably means the BOM and manufacturing costs are lower for Sony. I think it's possible they will either break even or make a small profit on a U$200 PS3 this Fall.

Luckyman said:
I guess he just looked at what it reads on the box.

Ubisoft already pre announced MS and Sony drops

Did they give a price on both? They were dead on on the Vita price.

Would PS3 benefit from a price cut right now though? They don't have any major games coming out in the next two months, so I guess it'd make more sense (from an advertisement point of view) to drop the price at most one month before the shopping season (holidays). It better be a $100 price cut, because the ps3 is selling like crap right now.

Greg

What are launch 60GB systems worth these days? Mine is still running strong, but I never use BC, so there's no reason to hang on to it.

Tellaerin

Massa said:
Right, but who has the time to catch up on 4 years of games with so many awesome new ones coming out? You're bound to miss a ton of stuff.

There's always awesome new stuff coming out, whether it's games, movies, books, or music. That doesn't mean that the old stuff suddenly stops being worthwhile. And sure, there are more games nowadays than any one person can possibly play, but that just means you can pick and choose the ones that are relevant to your interests.

M.D said:
Is Nintendo hardware generally considered more reliable?
I would certainly say so. My launch Wii is still going strong and is showing no signs of any kind of failure. Gamecube still works perfectly. DSLite is fine. Gameboy Color has a busted speaker but is also still fine. Just gotta use headphones.

Hope this PS3 revision is out soon. My 60GB just bit the dust recently and I was thinking of going through Sony for a refurbished model, but $200 for something a little more reliable and a full warranty is a no brainer for me.

infinityBCRT said:
If PS3 price cut is incoming, I imagine the 360 price cut won't be far behind.
If we're looking at a $199 320GB ps3, then they would have to respond. No way would they sell a $299 250GB 360 against that.

But then would the 4GB model go down to $99? That sounds kind of ridiculous. That's the cost of a ps2.

I would certainly say so. My launch Wii is still going strong and is showing no signs of any kind of failure. Gamecube still works perfectly. DSLite is fine. Gameboy Color has a busted speaker but is also still fine. Just gotta use headphones.

Kind of an apples to oranges comparison. Wii is a 20W system and ps3/360 are still around 100W. I'd like to see some reliability reports for the ps2 slim.

H_Prestige said:
But then would the 4GB model go down to $99? That sounds kind of ridiculous. That's the cost of a ps2.
I imagine it would just be discontinued. But I think we're all getting ahead of ourselves with these $100 dollar price cuts.

surly said:
Why are people assuming that Sony will cut $100 from the price of a PS3 because of this new model?
Lots of $100 gift card deals going around lately and because of stiff competition from much cheaper 360 and Wii hardware resulting in poor sales in NA.

Greg

Tellaerin said:
There's always awesome new stuff coming out, whether it's games, movies, books, or music. That doesn't mean that the old stuff suddenly stops being worthwhile. And sure, there are more games nowadays than any one person can possibly play, but that just means you can pick and choose the ones that are relevant to your interests.
The biggest issue for me is that you miss out on a lot of online experiences. I have no problem missing out on a single player experience at launch, but rarely this gen do you have an online community that really sticks with a game past the launch of the next big thing.

The Lamp

DiddyBop said:
This gen specifically shows that it pays to wait a few hrs before jumping in. Not only do new ps3 owners enjoy a much larger hdd and drastically reduced priced compared to launch owners, but they also have an ever growing library of great games from 20-40 bucks.

Sucks to have to sit through hours of patches and installs though.

I don't have time to catch up on dozens of awesome games at once.
Im a PS3 owner since 2007 and I don't regret it a bit. 60gb PS3 ftw.

Might get one of these if the price drops. My PS3 mysteriously started YLODing last time I tried to turn it on even though I hadn't used it in like 6 months.

jamesinclair said:
I wish MS and Nintendo made these annual model changes like Sony.

Nintendo just does annual downgrades
That's all Sony has done this gen too.

Hard drive capacity doesn't count since you can upgrade it yourself with whatever size you want.

Oppo

I like the blinkenlights. They provide some reassuring feedback Too bad they took them out.

While I do think there should be an XMB option to turn them off, surely people who hate them so much can solve that with about 2mm of electrical tape.

surly

Banned
zomgbbqftw said:
I must have missed that?

What prices did they hint at?
They didn't. Yves Guillemot from Ubisoft said that he believes MS and Sony will drop the price of their consoles in the UK before the end of the year because the hardware market is stagnant.

offshore

Well the PS3 has been so expensive for so long in the UK that it's not even funny.

Not even sub £200 yet as standard. Of course, as I write that Amazon are selling the 160gb for £199, but give it a week of two and it'll be back up at £230.

Can't wait till someone dissects one of these things.

claviertekky said:
So now the PS3 only uses as much power as the first Xbox 360 (Xenon) back in 2005?

What?

0rlwCl.jpg

Melchiah

Krev said:
Really good news.
If Sony can put this on the market for $199 then it will be quite an amazing value proposition.

It's easy to have a huge margin over the competition when they haven't hit the market yet.
Also, Wii is still in the lead. Though with the gen looking to last quite a while longer and the 360 and PS3 growing in popularity as the Wii falls off a cliff, obviously that won't be the case when all's said and done.

It would be kinda interesting if Sony would end up as number 1 when all is said and done, and this generation is over.

EDIT: I'll definitely buy the new model if the price is right, as my EU launch unit is annoyingly loud.

offshore said:
Well the PS3 has been so expensive for so long in the UK that it's not even funny.

Not even sub £200 yet as standard. Of course, as I write that Amazon are selling the 160gb for £199, but give it a week of two and it'll be back up at £230.

Yeah, I was thinking about a UK equivalent price. One where it's a big enough difference to the US price so people don't feel ripped off (like a lot are saying about Vita), but not too cheap that EU guys just import them instead of buying locally.

My guess is £159.

Melchiah

theBishop said:
2.5" drives have hit a wall. Only a few manufacturers are making drives larger than 1TB. The vast majority of laptops ship with 500 gb drives, which would be a decent chunk of the PS3's bill of materials. I'm surprised they're up to 320GB to be honest. There isn't much need for it, even with 8GB game installs.

I upograded mine from 60GB to 320GB, and currently I've got ~80GB of space left there. Dozens of game installs and patches, PSN games, demos and the two free games that were offerred recently take quite a bit of space.

jamesinclair said:
I wish MS and Nintendo made these annual model changes like Sony.
There have been somewhere in the order of 6 or 7 different revisions (motherboard / chassis) on the 360. Got more attention at the start than now though (for obvious reasons).

Hazelhurst

claviertekky said:
So now the PS3 only uses as much power as the first Xbox 360 (Xenon) back in 2005?
My current PS3 uses about 70-75 watts playing games. The article mis-worded what they're trying to say.

H_Prestige said:
Lots of $100 gift card deals going around lately and because of stiff competition from much cheaper 360 and Wii hardware resulting in poor sales in NA.

Amazon even had a lightning deal last week where you could get a PS3 for $199 (no GC attached)

Elios83

max-pain said:
But the Tales of Xillia PS3 bundle already announced for Japan for 37,980 yen with a September release date.

Which probably means that Japan will get the new SKUs and price drop in October as happened in the past.
Late August for US/Euro.

gogogow

claviertekky said:
Lol. Someone who has an 1000 watt power supply in their rig doesn't mean it will use that much. It depends what's inside the casing and it's always better to have sufficient power supply. Max power supply wattage =/= actual usage

THE:MILKMAN

DieH@rd said:
Something is wrong with this OP news, current PS3's have power consumption of ~<100W.

I think the article in question is confusing the PSU rating with power consumption. My UK 80GB PS3 is rated at ~1.7Amps (~400 watt!)

Power consumption at the wall playing Killzone 2 is around 177 watt.

Top Bottom