• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Slim model (CECH-3000B) cuts power consumption, weight, small cosmetic change

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DiddyBop said:
This gen specifically shows that it pays to wait a few hrs before jumping in. Not only do new ps3 owners enjoy a much larger hdd and drastically reduced priced compared to launch owners, but they also have an ever growing library of great games from 20-40 bucks.

Sucks to have to sit through hours of patches and installs though.

Yeah, but I've had 5 years of fun. Fair trade I'd say

If the ps3 can drop to £180 or so in the UK I am up for one finally, been eyeing some good games i've missed out on and for that price i'm up for a new console, especially if it's going to be the latest model.

X-Frame

I don't care about a price drop ..

What I want is some more damn colors for the US. White, silver, blue .. whatever.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I dunno how they would take out the HDD LED lights though, since many games have the "do not turn off power when HDD light is flashing" warning.

Psi

chubigans said:
I dunno how they would take out the HDD LED lights though, since many games have the "do not turn off power when HDD light is flashing" warning.

Like I said earlier, it probably means the power and eject buttons don't light up anymore.

jsnepo

If the PS3s price is really to be cut to $199 then I find it hilarious that it'll be cheaper than the Vita. This is good news for me since my wife and I are planning on replacing our dead 60GB PS3. We're just waiting to pay off our tuition come September. After that, I'm back to gaming my friends!

Psychotext said:
There have been somewhere in the order of 6 or 7 different revisions (motherboard / chassis) on the 360. Got more attention at the start than now though (for obvious reasons).

I think the latest revision has gotten plenty of attention ;)

okenny

Banned
TheSeks said:
Hey, Sony. If you're dropping the price, why not add in PS2 BC instead?

What's that? Not going to happen? And you're not going to fix my PS2 BC PS3 for free? Yeah?

FUCK YOU THEN.

They can either make money or make you happy.
You didn't give them $80 bucks so you have no room to talk. If you wan't BC, get yourself a PS2 and some goose tape!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
DiddyBop said:
This gen specifically shows that it pays to wait a few hrs before jumping in. Not only do new ps3 owners enjoy a much larger hdd and drastically reduced priced compared to launch owners, but they also have an ever growing library of great games from 20-40 bucks.

I feel just the oposite. Give me a launch PS3 or give me death. Full PS2 BC, memory card readers, more USB ports, and a more deluxe finish. Even launch units are very quiet machines (even if they've improved furthur), and I can upgrade the Hdd anytime.

Yes the price went down, which is a good point especially with the outrageous launch price.. But that's what things do, they go down in price. It's the cost of playing it for the last 5 years...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
jsnepo said:
If the PS3s price is really to be cut to $199 then I find it hilarious that it'll be cheaper than the Vita. This is good news for me since my wife and I are planning on replacing our dead 60GB PS3. We're just waiting to pay off our tuition come September. After that, I'm back to gaming my friends!

Why? Wii is cheaper than the 3DS...

jsnepo said:
2006 product cheaper than 2011 product... where's the hilarious bit?

jsnepo

Nevermind. I always find that consoles should be cheaper than the handhelds. I forgot that the Vita actually has an OLED screen.

Gaspode_T

Been waiting for the price to be cut, even used systems are more than $350 in Japan (converting to USD it looks worse...)

10,000yen cut or bust! Do it Sony!

BocoDragon said:
I feel just the oposite. Give me a launch PS3 or give me death. Full PS2 BC, memory card readers, more USB ports, and a more deluxe finish. Even launch units are very quiet machines (even if they've improved furthur), and I can upgrade the Hdd anytime.

Yes the price went down, which is a good point especially with the outrageous launch price.. But that's what things do, they go down in price. It's the cost of playing it for the last 5 years...
Surely you jest.

I'm really hoping for a White PS3 model in America, that would get me to dump my 60GB and just preserve it as the infamous B/C PS3.

*Off Topic* This is my first post of GAF =D

Massa

Barrow Roll said:
Surely you jest.

My 40Gb PS3 was a very quiet machine, more than my PS3 slim. It didn't get hot at all, either.

It wasn't until GTA IV came out that I first heard the fans kick in loud, and that was after marathon gaming sessions (I sure loved that game). Of course, it got progressively worse and on its last weeks before dying it would scream after just a few minutes sitting on the XMB.

Aurarian

Greg said:
What are launch 60GB systems worth these days? Mine is still running strong, but I never use BC, so there's no reason to hang on to it.

I would like to know this as well. I don't use BC on my PS3 either, not to mention I got a PS2 that's still running strong plus I can always get the newer version if I really want to play those games once it dies.

Paznos

With each revision of the PS3 they keep getting rid of stuff, USB ports, memory card reader slots, PS2 backwards compatibility, touch sensitive buttons and now LED's? damn it would be nice if they added some stuff back at this point.

T-Matt

I really want a white ps3. Sony products look good in white and I wish they would sell it in NA as it costs a good chunk more if I want to import. They could at least offer to sell white shells or the silver ones for those that want silver.

Massa

Paznos said:
With each revision of the PS3 they keep getting rid of stuff, USB ports, memory card reader slots, PS2 backwards compatibility, touch sensitive buttons and now LED's? damn it would be nice if they added some stuff back at this point.

USB ports, memory card reader slots and PS2 backwards compatibility were removed in a single revision. The buttons on the PS3 slim are an upgrade over the original, not a removal or downgrade.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Special J said:
299 -> 199 i doubt it, maybe to 249. but imo b/c the falling dollar they may just keep it at the same price

Multiple deals out there on the current systems say otherwise. A lot of retailers are offering the Black Ops bundle with a $50 giftcard right now.

Paznos

Massa said:
USB ports, memory card reader slots and PS2 backwards compatibility were removed in a single revision. The buttons on the PS3 slim are an upgrade over the original, not a removal or downgrade.
Okay your right I worded that wrong, I meant from the Phat to the slim they removed all that stuff and now it seems pointless to remove LED's even if they are on the buttons.

T-0800

DiddyBop said:

If you have PSN Diamond you are allowed to do something else while your PS3 is updating. Like make a sandwich for example.

Kagari said:
Multiple deals out there on the current systems say otherwise. A lot of retailers are offering the Black Ops bundle with a $50 giftcard right now.

They have been having retailer deals off and on for the last 6 months and every single time people get convinced that a price cut is imminent.

I guess one of these times everyone will be right...

As an example

a1m

Banned
The official page confirms details from the retail leak. The new model will have lower power consumption at 200 watts, lower weight at 2.6kg, and will include a 320 gigabyte hard disc. Pricing is set at ¥34,980, the same as the pricing on similar current models. The included accessories remain unchanged: Dual Shock 3, power cable, AV cable and USB cable.

Namco Bandai's previously announced Tales of Xillia X Edition hardware bundle will include a 160 gigabyte version of the CECH-3000 hardware. Aside from the X Edition release, Sony has not mentioned a solo 160 gigabyte package.

The X Edition hardware bundle is due on September 8, priced at ¥37,980. The hardware includes a special PS3 system and a copy of Tales of Xillia.

2hcgad3.jpg

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/20/new_ps3_announced/

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Barrow Roll said:
Surely you jest.
Mine is whisper quiet. I just turned it on to confirm. I think loud launch PS3s are dying/defective. Yes, our standards for what "whisper quiet" means have gone up over the various revisions of 360/PS3 (went from "noiseless" to "motherfucking noiseless"), but the launch PS3 is an amazingly quiet machine. I often forget its on until I notice the blue/green LEDs.

Massa said:
They're "different". I wouldn't call them them objectively better.

They could have given the launch PS3 physical push-buttons too. Why didn't they? Probably because touch-sensitive buttons are kind of classy... like a Bose system, I suppose.

I like my launch PS3's touch buttons a lot... it's unique.

So it seems like this is only going to apply to the 320GB model for now? I think this will lead to the 160GB being phased out, the 320GB model lowered to the 160GB price, and a newer 500GB model to fill the higher-end space.

Gaspode_T

Zombie James said:
So it seems like this is only going to apply to the 320GB model for now? I think this will lead to the 160GB being phased out, the 320GB model lowered to the 160GB price, and a newer 500GB model to fill the higher-end space.

That sounds extremely plausible, Sony has a lot of expertise in hardware so it would make sense for them to try to compete against Microsoft by pushing the BluRay/huge HDD angle rather than try to compete with Move bundles. They probably have had enough time to make it less expensive to produce to be able to make a profit even with bigger hard drives (that as far as I know don't really cost that much more than 160, certainly not as much as the diff between low end and high end SKUs)

mclaren777

I think this might be the perfect time to replace my 60GB launch unit with a Slim model.

I just hope they include some kind of lights on the front to indicate disc/power status.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
DiddyBop said:

I have a Kuturagi envisioned PS3. There's a PS2 in that bitch!

BKK

Zombie James said:

The model number CECH3000B suggests that the 320GB will remain the higher end model. They won't increase HDD if they still have a large stock of the current HDDs.

manzo

Agent Icebeezy said:
I have a Kuturagi envisioned PS3. There's a PS2 in that bitch!

Same here. OG 60gb model represent! Will never downgrade to the slim models unless it dies.

bj00rn_

Banned
I don't think this is about saving some wattage but a fight back against piracy and the lost codes earlier. I think this model is thick of new anti-piracy measures, both the system , the blu-ray drive and discs. This is something Sony had to do at some point anyway.

I have an older system, noisy as hell, so for me this will be a good time to buy a new one.

JonCha

So the price conversion is £240. I may have to pick up an older PS3 at last then, even this late into the generation.

RooMHM

Mrbob said:
Here comes the price cut. Pricing only the same until Sony drops the price, which will be soon. August is my guess.

This was funny because it's the best Cave Johnson impersonation I've seen here. The sentence building, the words, perfect.

Top Bottom