• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Slim model (CECH-3000B) cuts power consumption, weight, small cosmetic change

kadotsu

Banned
Persona7 said:
I already saw that and dismissed it because it deletes all the data on the system you transfer content off of.

Then clone the HDD externally do the data transfer and use the cloned drive on the old PS3. It should be faster than redownloading 20+GB from PSN. Also I can't guarantee that it won't fuck up your licenses etc.

amar212

manzo said:
Same here. OG 60gb model represent! Will never downgrade to the slim models unless it dies.

I bought a new slim in order to have a GT5-only console but my 60GB EuroLauncher is still well and alive and would never give it for anything.

If it dies, I will burry it.

My PS2-enriched motherboard will never surrender to those butchers at services.

JaskoX1

Banned
On board with the rest of you. My 20GB is surprisingly still lasting. Loud as can be though - gets real hot in the back within an hour or so (when playing a game) :(

offshore

This will probably be the PS3 I pick when it comes to the UK. IIRC, when Sony brought out a revision of the PS3 early last year in Japan, it came to Europe in October.

There better be a price cut accompanying it though. £180 maximum. Like I said before, the price of the PS3 in the UK is just totally out of control.

gcubed

kadotsu said:
Then clone the HDD externally do the data transfer and use the cloned drive on the old PS3. It should be faster than redownloading 20+GB from PSN. Also I can't guarantee that it won't fuck up your licenses etc.

Your cloned drive would be reformatted once you powered the new ps3 on

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd happily purchase a Slim, despite the fact my "fat" 40GB model is still operating just fine, if there existed a model with 802.11n.

chubigans said:
I like my LEDs. Why you take my LEDs Sony? :(

They were removed due to "security reasons" - they weren't explicitly mentioned as a feature though, so it's okay to remove them. In other news, Sony ninjas will be touring the houses of all phat owners smashing their LEDs with a little tiny Sony ninja hammer.

Not to sound like an apologist, but those flashing led lights were useless anyways. I rarely paid attention to it. It could be replaced with a now saving warning.

glaurung

It will probably come sooner or later, they will slowly deplete the storehouses of the old 320 GB version and then the new ones will start coming.

They never announced revised models with much fanfare around here and that means if you buy a 320 version in November or December, you might already read the 3k series number on the side of the box.

What's the cosmetic update again?

theBishop

Banned
H_Prestige said:
The launch units are the most quiet of all, before the fans kick in. Literally no noise on my 60gb, and I've compared it to a 65nm 80gb fat and a 45nm slim.

My 60GB was getting loud as hell, but I opened it up last week and cleaned the dust out of the fan/heatsink. It's purring nicely now.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Would like a new model. I never tried playing any BD movies in my Slim until this summer and turns out BD movies don't work but BD games do. We've just been watching things on Netflix and the kids use their DVDs. I have a warranty that lasts through January 2013, so I hope I can simply trade for a replacement.

Transferring all the data will be a pain in the butt. At least this new model will be a 320GB instead of the 160GB I have now.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
BitchTits said:
Of course this happens the week after I just bought one <_<

About a month for me. Of course I got the Target $160 gift card deal. And the free PSN stuff. :D All in all, still worth it I think.

olimpia84

My old fat PS3 is still going strong (or at least it seems like it) but if they have some decent deals around Xmas I might get a second unit.

Massa said:
Right, but who has the time to catch up on 4 years of games with so many awesome new ones coming out? You're bound to miss a ton of stuff.

True and not only that but sometimes games are more enjoyable to play when they come out than when they are played some 4 years later.

Outdated graphics and gameplay systems come to mind, Just sayin.

theBishop said:
My 60GB was getting loud as hell, but I opened it up last week and cleaned the dust out of the fan/heatsink. It's purring nicely now.
I really want to see if there is dust inside my ps3. I dust off the system very often but it still gets pretty loud after about 15 minutes or so. But opening it up seems like a nightmare.

theBishop

Banned
jvm said:
Would like a new model. I never tried playing any BD movies in my Slim until this summer and turns out BD movies don't work but BD games do. We've just been watching things on Netflix and the kids use their DVDs. I have a warranty that lasts through January 2013, so I hope I can simply trade for a replacement.

Transferring all the data will be a pain in the butt. At least this new model will be a 320GB instead of the 160GB I have now.

The backup/restore tool on PS3 is pretty useful, and not too complicated. I used it to upgrade the HDD in my 60GB.

Although I'm not sure if you can use it to restore to a different unit entirely.

theBishop

Banned
H_Prestige said:
I really want to see if there is dust inside my ps3. I dust off the system very often but it still gets pretty loud after about 15 minutes or so. But opening it up seems like a nightmare.

If you've never disassembled a laptop or anything more delicate than a desktop PC, I wouldn't recommend it. But if you've got the right tools and you're careful, it's not too bad. The internal design is nicely modular, so you don't have a bunch of random hinges and springs to forget about.

offshore said:
Doesn't look like it will be coming to Europe any time soon

"Despite the new model, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe’s told VG247 the information released so far was “for Japan only and we have nothing to share at this time” in regards to a European launch."

http://www.vg247.com/2011/06/20/rumour-new-playstation-3-model-inbound
If Sony just came out and said they were going to release a cooler more reliable PS3 soon it would damage current sales. The story from them will be one of denial until it is out.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Hopefully this new model uses a different fan. I just recently upgraded from a 40 gb fat to a 160 gb slim, and the slim fan is higher pitched and annoying once it's up to speed after a few minutes.

BKK said:
The model number CECH3000B suggests that the 320GB will remain the higher end model. They won't increase HDD if they still have a large stock of the current HDDs.

It doesn't really make much sense to me to make a cheaper (to build) model only available for the higher-end SKU.

androvsky

Persona7 said:
I already saw that and dismissed it because it deletes all the data on the system you transfer content off of.
It doesn't. I used the transfer utility a few months ago. All it deletes is content that's not supposed to be on two systems at once, which boils down to locked saves and videos purchased from the PSN store. The locked saves you can fix with PS+, the video problem can be fixed by finding a better way of purchasing videos. :)

When you perform this operation, all data that is stored on the PS3™ system that will receive the data (the "destination system”) will be deleted.

btkadams

DiddyBop said:
This gen specifically shows that it pays to wait a few hrs before jumping in. Not only do new ps3 owners enjoy a much larger hdd and drastically reduced priced compared to launch owners, but they also have an ever growing library of great games from 20-40 bucks.

Sucks to have to sit through hours of patches and installs though.
if anything, the ps3 launch system was THE time to jump in if you value BC.
TheBranca18 said:
Not going to happen. You had your chance to get that a long time ago if it was really important to you.
uh some of us had that model and then got ylod.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So, does this thing actually have PS2 back-compatibility?

jp.playstation.com's spec page

The last bullet point when machine-translated through Chrome translates as:

&#8251; This product, "PlayStation 2" are having a compatibility with proprietary software.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
TheBranca18 said:
Not going to happen. You had your chance to get that a long time ago if it was really important to you.

i had that and it died. what i really want is a usb port in the BACK for the pseye.

S. L.

Clear said:
So, does this thing actually have PS2 back-compatibility?

jp.playstation.com's spec page

The last bullet point when machine-translated through Chrome translates as:

&#8251; This product, "PlayStation 2" are having a compatibility with proprietary software.
&#8251;This product does not have compatibility with the software for exclusive use of "the PlayStation2".

infoseek i so much better for japan - english translations
http://translation.infoseek.co.jp/

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Thanks.

Can't say I'm surprised, but I am a bit disappointed that Google's auto-translate managed to get precisely the reverse meaning of that particular sentence.

Zoe

dwebo said:
Nothing, hopefully, assuming the leds refer to those annoying blinking wifi/hdd lights.

I like the WiFi light. It lets me switch to watching TV without having to constantly check on download progress.

M.D said:
Is Nintendo hardware generally considered more reliable?

My Wii died a month after launch :( That was the reason I joined GAF, actually.

H_Prestige said:

I was expecting my phat to be super dusty after having to be in close quarters with three cats for years. There was really hardly any dust though. Most of it was on the outside around the USB ports and card slots which are easily cleaned.

Top Bottom