• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Slim model (CECH-3000B) cuts power consumption, weight, small cosmetic change

-Winnie-

TxdoHawk said:
Sigh. I guess it's finally time to give up on the dream of getting a new PS3 with hardware BC.

With PS2 HD collections being all the rage, it's pretty much guaranteed that PS3 BC is not going to happen.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'll probably replace my launch 60GB with this one... I fucking hate that the quality of your PS3 was based on luck of the draw. I got one manufactured in China or whatever the bad place is, and it's so goddamn loud. As in, it tends to drowns out a lot of the dialogue when I'm watching a Blu-Ray. It's astounding, really.

Of course, I don't even use the PS3 for BDs anymore and there's nothing I'm interested in playing for... the foreseeable future, so I guess I really don't have to nab the newer model for a while still.

-Winnie- said:
With PS2 HD collections being all the rage, it's pretty much guaranteed that PS3 BC is not going to happen.

It really doesn't bother me personally. I bought the PS3 to play PS3 games, not games I've played before. Sure it would be nice but it's also very nice to see my favorite PS2 games get upscaled graphically and released onto one package.

chubigans said:
I like my LEDs. Why you take my LEDs Sony? :(

I think this might be a translation typo or something, I don't see the value in not having these. Still I think the main thing I am wondering is if they have finally engineered out the plastic case expansion pop/cracking noise when the system heats up and cools down. Also I would happily buy another if they would just give me the white one.

Massa

Chacranajxy said:
I'll probably replace my launch 60GB with this one... I fucking hate that the quality of your PS3 was based on luck of the draw. I got one manufactured in China or whatever the bad place is, and it's so goddamn loud. As in, it tends to drowns out a lot of the dialogue when I'm watching a Blu-Ray. It's astounding, really.

Of course, I don't even use the PS3 for BDs anymore and there's nothing I'm interested in playing for... the foreseeable future, so I guess I really don't have to nab the newer model for a while still.

Keep an eye on deals for the PS3 and you may even make a small profit when trading yours for a new slim.

EvaTType01

Neo Member
if theres one improvement they can make, please have some usb ports at the back. that way, my camera doesnt take a space up front lol.

I 80 gig repaired died in 3 weeks >.>, thats it, im buying a slim, but after this news I will have to wait. This means not playing any new games coming out until....whenever.....

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
soundscream said:
As long as they keep releasing HD collections of popular old Games I wont miss my 60gig as much :(

Yeaaah they're going to have to be at it for a loooong while until they've made HD collections of every good game from the PS2 library. ( i.e never gonna happen ).

I'm hereby proclaiming that backwards compatibility is going to be what makes or breaks the next-gen for me personally. The playstation brand would be, again for me , soo much more worth if ps4 could play ps1-3 games aswell. I cannot even imagine how much I would want that feature.

DasRaven

OldJadedGamer said:
They need to add a USB in the back and 802.11n.

Essentially these are the only things, save HW failure, that will get me to upgrade to a slim. My 750GB (non-BC) Phat continues to run flawlessly and silently.
I need a functional improvement before I move and fully expected it to come in the next HW revision. I'll keep waiting.

Corky said:
Yeaaah they're going to have to be at it for a loooong while until they've made HD collections of every good game from the PS2 library. ( i.e never gonna happen ).

I'm hereby proclaiming that backwards compatibility is going to be what makes or breaks the next-gen for me personally. The playstation brand would be, again for me , soo much more worth if ps4 could play ps1-3 games aswell. I cannot even imagine how much I would want that feature.

For PS4, PS1 bc is a given (the store is not going to just wipe all those titles) and I feel the same for PS3 since PS4 will likely still have trophy data for games. Though I really just don't know if they will bother with PS2 for PS4, kind of like how WiiU doesn't play Gamecube.

I wonder how long it will take to see some better pictures of this revision though, I want to see if the casing changed at all.

Zoda

Neo Member
Chittagong said:
Goddammit Sony, now we still won't know who will win the generation. First it was 360 leading with a huge margin, then BOOM Wii out of nowhere to the lead, Sony dropping last, then 360 back to the lead with Kinect, Wii to last place, 360 heading for the win for good but now Sony re-emerges with staying power and superb value with cheap PS3

Most confusing generation ever

lol what

As far as software, Sony's been in the "lead" since 2009.

BKK

Yoshiya said:
Couldn't possibly be another die shrink so soon.

It really isn't too soon;

2007/10: CECHG - 65nm Cell
2009/08: CECH2000 - 45nm Cell
2011/06: CECH3000 - 32nm Cell?

PSU rating and weight is reduced by 13%, the only logical way they achieved that is with a die shrink.

Zombie James said:
It doesn't really make much sense to me to make a cheaper (to build) model only available for the higher-end SKU.

CECH2000A = 120GB
CECH2000B = 250GB

CECH2100A = 120GB
CECH2100B = 250GB

CECH2500A = 160GB
CECH2500B = 320GB

CECH3000A = ???GB
CECH3000B = 320GB

If they release a 500GB model it will most likely be model number CECH3100B. It's possible CECH3000B never gets released outside of Japan, and they are just getting rid of their remaining 320GB HDDs with this revision. There's precedence for this before with the semi-backwards compatible PS3 initially released in Europe as CECHC with the old 60GB HDDs, and later released worldwide as CECHE with the new 80GB HDD.

Also, going by Sony's PS3 sales forecast for this fiscal year they only expect a slight increase in sales, so a $100 price cut seems unlikely. A $50 price cut would seem likelier.

BKK said:

PSU rating and weight is reduced by 13%, the only logical way they achieved that is with a die shrink.

What process is RSX on now?

BKK

Incidentally RSX die shrinks have typically trailed Cell die shrinks by quite some time, which is why I suspect a Cell die shrink rather than an RSX one.

BocoDragon said:
Mine is whisper quiet. I just turned it on to confirm. I think loud launch PS3s are dying/defective. Yes, our standards for what "whisper quiet" means have gone up over the various revisions of 360/PS3 (went from "noiseless" to "motherfucking noiseless"), but the launch PS3 is an amazingly quiet machine. I often forget its on until I notice the blue/green LEDs.
The fan on my old 60GB would turn on after like 10 minutes of doing anything and would just continue to get louder and louder. Watching a Blu-ray with the hum of a fan in the background really ruins quiet scenes.

H_Prestige said:
The launch units are the most quiet of all, before the fans kick in. Literally no noise on my 60gb, and I've compared it to a 65nm 80gb fat and a 45nm slim.
Again, the fan on mine kicked in far too quickly. It was really annoying.

And now it's dead so I'm pretty bitter.

Revolver

Barrow Roll said:
The fan on my old 60GB would turn on after like 10 minutes of doing anything and would just continue to get louder and louder. Watching a Blu-ray with the hum of a fan in the background really ruins quiet scenes.

Again, the fan on mine kicked in far too quickly. It was really annoying.

And now it's dead so I'm pretty bitter.

The fan on my 80GB would do the same. Seeing as how it was our only Blu-ray player we put up with it, but it did get annoying. The fan would also kick up when watching something off the HDD. Are the Slims really quiet in this regard? I keep reading they stay quiet but I also heard the same thing when I got my phat model.

yurinka

TheBanditKing said:
For PS4, PS1 bc is a given (the store is not going to just wipe all those titles) and I feel the same for PS3 since PS4 will likely still have trophy data for games. Though I really just don't know if they will bother with PS2 for PS4, kind of like how WiiU doesn't play Gamecube.
PS2 list of great and popular games is way bigger than the NGC list. So it's way more interesting for them to keep BC once PS2 stop selling, or at least to keep remaking in 3D/HD PS2 games.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think that PS2 backwards compability on PS4 will only happen if Sony makes it 100% through software emulation. I dont think that they will spend extra money on including PS2 hardware in the PS4 at least.

They are selling Ps2 remakes like ICo, GOW, Metal gear etc etc .... why would they want to invest in the BC ? especially this late in the gen.... Usually company use BC to retain consumers from 1 gen to the other, but that does little sense right now.

TheBanditKing said:

I wonder how long it will take to see some better pictures of this revision though, I want to see if the casing changed at all.
They will if the system doesn't have bottlenecks like the ps3. Certainly hardware based BC is dead. Sony isn't going down that route again. I think ps1/2 will be emulated through software on ps4, which will be designed to be compatible with all ps3 software.

The situation with Wii U and gamecube games isn't clear to me. Maybe the BD drive they're using doesn't load mini discs, or perhaps they see an issue with the different controller. Or maybe they have big plans to sell ported GC games on the VC and just don't want us to play our old GC discs on the Wii U. The first two issues are irrelevant for Sony regarding ps2 BC, and as for the third, Sony already has shown they have no issue letting us play old ps1 CDs on a ps3 while trying to sell as ps1 downloads on psn. I really do think the issue with no ps2 software BC on ps3 is only because Sony can't make an emulator with acceptable performance, not because of ps2 HD classics.

Smokey

AvidNobody said:
It really doesn't bother me personally. I bought the PS3 to play PS3 games, not games I've played before. Sure it would be nice but it's also very nice to see my favorite PS2 games get upscaled graphically and released onto one package.

lol this dream died years go

did people seriously think sony was going to bring this back?

Zaphod

Hmm. I've been thinking of selling my 60GB with BC even thought I like and use the BC portion of it. I just hate how loud it is and living in constant fear of it yellow lighting. I wonder if I would have any luck selling it on eBay even though I've never sold anything on there before.

It's also scary knowing I would have to buy a new PS3 first before selling mine so I could data transfer. If I timed it right I could make a nice little profit though.

krae_man

TheBranca18 said:
Not going to happen. You had your chance to get that a long time ago if it was really important to you.

Huh? These are the most logical things to return. No way BC is coming back but more USB ports and/or the card reader is very possible.

My Launch 60gb PS3 is still going strong BTW. It's loud though and that's why I want a slim. I'll take more USB ports over the card reader. Card reader is a want, more then 2 USB ports is a need. They need to put at least 2 in the back too.

Emm, teh internet shared this pic to me. Is it any real?
078b19675781fe27233551e5839aa504.jpg

Massa

The_Player said:
Emm, teh internet shared this pic to me. Is it any real?
http://www.hostingkartinok.com/image/01201106/078b19675781fe27233551e5839aa504.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Are you referring to the mistranslation of "this system can't play PS2 software"? :(

Goldrusher

BKK said:

You're forgetting a few...

11/2006: 90nm Cell / 90nm RSX / 200-380 watt
10/2007: 65nm Cell / 90nm RSX / 160-280 watt
08/2008: 65nm Cell / 65nm RSX / 130-280 watt
09/2009: 45nm Cell / 65nm RSX / 100-250 watt (slim)
03/2010: 45nm Cell / 40nm RSX / 100-250 watt (slim)
06/2011: ...nm Cell / ...nm RSX / ....-.... watt (slim)

Goldrusher said:
You're forgetting a few...

11/2006: 90nm Cell / 90nm RSX / 200-380 watt
10/2007: 65nm Cell / 90nm RSX / 160-280 watt
08/2008: 65nm Cell / 65nm RSX / 130-280 watt
09/2009: 45nm Cell / 65nm RSX / 100-250 watt (slim)
03/2010: 45nm Cell / 40nm RSX / 100-250 watt (slim)
06/2011: ...nm Cell / ...nm RSX / ....-.... watt (slim)

06/2011: 32nm Cell / 40nm RSX / ....-.... watt (slim)

At some point in 2012 when TSMC have got 28nm production online they will migrate RSX to 28nm, and possibly a new actually slim, PS3 slim.

zomgbbqftw said:
06/2011: 32nm Cell / 40nm RSX / ....-.... watt (slim)

At some point in 2012 when TSMC have got 28nm production online they will migrate RSX to 28nm, and possibly a new actually slim, PS3 slim.
Hmm... I would have bet money that they would have skipped a 32nm node shrink all together and when for a combined Cell/RSX at 28 nanometers.

googleplex said:
Hmm... I would have bet money that they would have skipped a 32nm node shrink all together and when for a combined Cell/RSX at 28 nanometers.

Combined chip for PS3 isn't easy as it would be quite a large package and would require two different types of memory controller. 360 has unified memory and can have a single memory controller for both chips, so it is much easier.

Anyway, Sony will take every die shrink as soon as it becomes available, that is the nature of a business with such thin margins. The cost of an internal redesign is pretty minimal at this stage and when accommodating less power consuming chips it is relatively simple.

androvsky

zomgbbqftw said:
Combined chip for PS3 isn't easy as it would be quite a large package and would require two different types of memory controller. 360 has unified memory and can have a single memory controller for both chips, so it is much easier.

Anyway, Sony will take every die shrink as soon as it becomes available, that is the nature of a business with such thin margins. The cost of an internal redesign is pretty minimal at this stage and when accommodating less power consuming chips it is relatively simple.

The last rumor I heard was that Sony was going to skip a die shrink because the engineering to go smaller than 40nm is significant enough that it wasn't worth doing unless it was a more significant shrink. It's apparently due to the Rambus interface being wonky at sub-40nm sizes. And since shrinking the XDR connection is so much work, they'll probably just go ahead and combine the RSX and Cell while they're at it (especially since the Rambus shrink will probably make that a lot easier).

Top Bottom