• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New screenshots of The Witness [PS4]

Chev

I'm still not sure what kind of game this is
Myst-like with puzzles that seem really obvious (bright panels in the middle of things) but actually necessitate to reach some at times mindboggling insight about what's surrounding you (like the animal sounds or beads puzzles in Riven).

LCfiner

The style of this game is incredible. right up my alley. the new screens are gorgeous. And the fact you can explore everywhere you want is huge to me.

I just hope the puzzle element clicks with me. Every video of it makes it appear really difficult to comprehend what's going on. Hoping it makes more sense actually doing it.

Really really want this. Glad Blow is making it without any BS industry/gaming narrative on top. Just gonna make a good game and let the game speak for itself and him.

StuBurns

Banned
The style of this game is incredible. right up my alley. the new screens are gorgeous. And the fact you can explore everywhere you want is huge to me.

I just hope the puzzle element clicks with me. Every video of it makes it appear really difficult to comprehend what's going on. Hoping it makes more sense actually doing it.
The solutions are tied to the environment, so they shouldn't really make much sense in a video, for example (I'm going to spoiler tag this, but it is one puzzle, in a game with hundreds)
there's a panel with what looks like a tree, and near you there is a tree that matches the panel, on the end of one branch is an apple, that's the line you have to draw

Dennis

Banned
This one looks super.

10276581615_ccdf918590_b.jpg

aeolist

Banned
Oh ok. The thread title had [PS4] in it and I was assuming it meant PS4 only. I haven't read any updates on this game for awhile so I didn't know if it went PS4 only or not.

the people who make these threads don't like to be reminded that the majority of their console "exclusives" aren't exclusive

LCfiner

The solutions are tied to the environment, so they shouldn't really make much sense in a video, for example (I'm going to spoiler tag this, but it is one puzzle, in a game with hundreds)
there's a panel with what looks like a tree, and near you there is a tree that matches the panel, on the end of one branch is an apple, that's the line you have to draw

ah, thanks for that mini example. I could see that mechanic being full of lots of "a-ha!" moments.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I hope Blow will do some in-depth interviews about this game after it's released since he's obviously not interested in talking about before then.

Sotha_Sil

Pretty amazing that a team of like 6 people can make a game that looks this good and will purportedly last 25-40 hours. Other devs need to take note.

Glad to see he put a windmill back in again, and it looks like the shipwreck is complete as well.

StuBurns

Banned
the people who make these threads don't like to be reminded that the majority of their console "exclusives" aren't exclusive
He was simply stating these are PS4 screenshots. If they are or not, who knows, but the article says 'The Witness on PS4'.
They've said they have no intentions of releasing on Xbox. It will also be on PC and iOS.
He said the exact opposite.

"When the XB1 version of The Witness comes out, internet fanboys' heads are going to explode or something."

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
They've said they have no intentions of releasing on Xbox. It will also be on PC and iOS.

I don't think anyone said that at all. Sounds like the opposite of Blow's platform agnostic philosophy. He's only on PS4 first because Sony approached him and he can afford to make it for PS4 in addition to PC.

satriales

I hope Blow will do some in-depth interviews about this game after it's released since he's obviously not interested in talking about before then.

Their blog is fantastic, with lots of detailed technical posts and progress pics of the island. He does keep very quiet about actual gameplay but I think he doesn't want to spoil anything.

Samyy

Or you know, its screenshots of the PS4 version but lets drop to the conclusion that illicits the most negativity shall we?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Pretty amazing that a team of like 6 people can make a game that looks this good and will purportedly last 25-40 hours. Other devs need to take note.

Glad to see he put a windmill back in again, and it looks like the shipwreck is complete as well.

They've been working on it for 5 years. His process is completely up to him and he has that luxury. Other devs often don't.

I believe when he showed it to press a couple (few?) years ago, he said after that round of previews that he was pretty much going to disappear until the game was done. So, he's actually been out there more than he originally intended.

I don't think anyone said that at all. Sounds like the opposite of Blow's platform agnostic philosophy. He's only on PS4 first because Sony approached him and he can afford to make it for PS4 in addition to PC.

But it will require some effort from Microsoft to get Jonathan Blow to release something on Xbox again.

RaikuHebi

Banned
It's like classic Tomb Raider gameplay + Nintendo graphics. Why the hell haven't I heard about this until now?
I think you're mistaken either about The Witness or Tomb Raider
Is it not about puzzle solving and being lost in the environment and stuff? Isolation in the environment. Not knowing what to do next? That's the vibe I got from reading its premise.

Seanspeed

Banned
This will be on PC, as well? Thought it was a PS4 exclusive.

Looks amazing. Just hope its fun.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
But it will require some effort from Microsoft to get Jonathan Blow to release something on Xbox again.

I'm sure he'll consider whether it's worth it to him or not based on a number of factors, but I think it's safe to assume he'll do it if it makes sense. He's not going to take some principled stand against releasing on the X1 if all the other impediments are removed. If MS can convince him their policy and dev relations have changed, The Witness will be on X1.

(So basically I agree with you but I don't think it will be difficult for MS to get his support if they have the install base.)

Top Bottom