• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New screenshots of The Witness [PS4]

You move around the island freely with sticks, Blow even admitted to spending an absurd time on many different footstep sounds depending on the surface you are stepping on.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
MS won't allow games that have been on their competitors' consoles first, so yeah... not coming to Xbox.

viveks86

You can point and click at things but the island is open to explore. I don't know where this info came from but it certain does nothing to dampen my hype.

No idea where that comes from. Will ignore it for now unless someone can post a quote or link.

You move around the island freely with sticks, Blow even admitted to spending an absurd time on many different footstep sounds depending on the surface you are stepping on.

This I remember hearing.

Ain't she a beaut? Reminds me so much of Myst by the looks of it and there ain't nothing wrong with that. Cant' wait to jump into this in 2014. :)

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm really interested to see how the narrative is delivered, since Tom Bissell was saying that it was going to be a landmark for game stories.

Amir0x

Banned
Damn this game has a brilliant aesthetic. I really hope the puzzles are hot, but to be honest whenever I watch a video I have no idea what's going on lol

Looks amazing. Really dig the art style

MS won't allow games that have been on their competitors' consoles first, so yeah... not coming to Xbox.

If they changed their stance on everything else I'm sure they will (have?) changed their stance on this as well lol.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm gonna go ahead and offer my hipster opinion here: I like the puzzles and concept, dislike the art style.

The use of color is fantastic (based Fall color palette) but the game just looks like a weird cell shaded semi-realistic Minecraft. Barren...blocky...awkward. The trees and clouds are badass though, they look painted.

Blizzard

Banned
I feel like this graphical style hasn't really been doing in precisely this fashion before, which is awesome. I really like these two in particular:

10295442983_947ea5ca36_o.png

10295520873_33a2532046_o.png

If the game style is to roam around a relaxing atmosphere, exploring and solving puzzles, EVEN BETTER. :D

kevm3

Looks lovely. This is what the added power for these machines should be used for... to let artists unleash different styles of visuals instead of this constant pursuit of reality.

Wow this is 25+ hours long!

The artstyle is gorgeous and it's nice to see a change from all the shooters and action games.

Fingers crossed for a retail boxed version day 1.

Only game I'd really like for the PS4 now. Annoying that it isn't distributed by disc, it looks like a big enough game for that to me.

So question: do the environments in this serve as nothing more than conduits to these panel puzzles? Still looks great, will just be a bit disappointed if all this gorgeous art and geometry is non interactive.

StuBurns

Banned
So question: do the environments in this serve as nothing more than conduits to these panel puzzles? Still looks great, will just be a bit disappointed if all this gorgeous art and geometry is non interactive.
No, they inform the puzzle solutions, they also house audiologs.

StuBurns

Banned
As in, you have to actively look for them, or they're "in your face"?
As in the logic of the puzzles is not contained wholly within the puzzle screens.

I'll spoiler tag an example.
There's a puzzle that looks like tree branches, there's no way to solve it by just looking at it (although you could by just brute force no doubt), the solution is actually to look at the trees around you, find the corresponding tree, which has an apple hanging from one branch, that is the branch which you draw on the puzzle panel

Raist

Banned
As in the logic of the puzzles is not contained wholly within the puzzle screens.

I'll spoiler tag an example.
There's a puzzle that looks like tree branches, there's no way to solve it by just looking at it (although you could by just brute force no doubt), the solution is actually to look at the trees around you, find the corresponding tree, which has an apple hanging from one branch, that is the branch which you draw on the puzzle panel

So very Myst-like then. Neat.

Top Bottom