• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

A new generation of gaming is here with the Wii U, but some of us still hold on to what made gaming special from past generations. Super Mario World, a game that launched with the SNES back in 1990 ('91 in the US) still holds a special place in the hearts of gamers. Super Mario World started a legacy; one that cannot escape us. For the first time since the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo is set to launch a 2D Super Mario platformer alongside a new console: Wii U. New Super Mario Bros. U has shades of Super Mario World, but will it be able to build upon the legacy that Super Mario World built, create a new one, or do nothing at all? Ladies and gentleman of NeoGAF, let us go on another 2D epic with the Italian plumber to seek out the answers, and above all: to relish this amazing legacy of old. Welcome to the Official Thread.

jDE039DtegUyg.png

jAaYyfNvJkD4D.png

• North America - November 18, 2012 | Europe/Australia - November 30, 2012 | Japan - December 8, 2012
  • Platform: Wii U
  • Publisher: Nintendo
  • Developer: EAD - Software Development Group 4
  • Players: 1-5 (offline only, online co-op is not supported)
  • Data: 14MB required for save data
  • Supported Video Output: 480i, 480p, 1080i, 720p, 1080p (this isn't its native resolution)
  • Supported Controllers: Wii U Gamepad, Wii Remote, Wii Remote MotionPlus
  • Nintendo Network: Sharing of experiences through Miiverse

jyBbQ5Nvhca7r_e.jpg

• It was just another lovely dinner at the castle with Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Princess Peach... Until suddenly the ferocious Koopa fleet invades Mushroom kingdom airspace, and launches a full-on assault! With Bowser at the helm and his Koopalings each in their own custom airships, the castle is under siege with the Princess trapped inside—and the heroes have been cast out to the furthest reaches of the Mushroom Kingdom. Can they make it back in time to save the day?

jbjfsKONXfNwpc.png

Mario-1.jpg

Luigi-1.jpg

Toad-1.jpg

Peach-1.jpg

Yoshi-1.jpg

jImzigknyL27I.png

• Solo Play: traditional single-player story mode. Players will progress along the World Map, with the path they take depending on which level exits they find. Levels can be replayed to discover new secrets. Players will be able to stock up on up to ten power-ups, which they can use from the World Map before entering a level.
  • Co-op Play: with up to three additional players. These players can control Luigi, one of two colored Toads, or a Mii character. The screen will pan out to accommodate these other players if they get too far from one another. When players lose a life in Co-op Play, as long as they have an additional life remaining and there is another player still standing, they’ll appear in a bubble and can re-join the adventure. Other players will have to pop the bubble to release the revived player.
  • Challenge Mode: tasks players with completing specific objectives, such as clearing a course without touching a single coin or touching the ground. There are four single-player Challenge categories: Time Attack, Coin Collection, 1-Up Rally and Special (miscellaneous challenges). Boost Mode Challenges require two players, with one player using the Wii U Gamepad controller and the other using a Wii Remote controller. Once players complete a Challenge, the game saves a replay of the action so players can show off their accomplishments.
  • Coin Battle: up to five players can play together and compete to see who can collect the most coins. One player will use the Wii U Gamepad controller while the other four players use the Wii Remote controller. The player using the Wii U Gamepad controller in Boost Mode can place Boost Blocks to help grab hard-to-reach coins. Players can also use the Gamepad to edit and customize the coin layout in courses found only in Coin Battle. The coin layout can then be saved and played by the players using Wii Remote controllers.
  • Boost Mode: adds a fifth player to Co-op Mode who controls the game using the Wii U GamePad. By tapping on the screen, the Boost Mode player can create mid-air blocks to either help or hinder other players. Sometimes these blocks will spit out coins. The Boost Mode player can also tap enemies to stun them.
  • Boost Rush Mode: is a special challenge mode that turns each course into an auto-scrolling level. Players will have to move efficiently to survive. Built in to the mode is a feature that speeds up the auto-scrolling as players grab more coins, so you can set better times if you grab more coins. The mode is designed to be played cooperatively with a Boost Mode partner, as jumping between Boost Blocks can help the stage scroll even faster and will power up the Boost Mode player so he or she can defeat most on-screen enemies with a simple tap. Like New Super Mario Bros. 2, Boost Rush Mode will be played in various “Course Pack” sets, with leaderboards indicating the best players for each of the Course Packs. Players will have a limited number of lives when playing in Boost Rush Mode.

jbfLzH1MFwjKLq.png

• New Super Mario Bros. U is the first side-scrolling Mario game since 1991’s Super Mario World that features a seamless World Map with named worlds and courses. The map contains many secret exits, which might change the map and cause shortcuts to appear. The worlds are interconnected, so people can play through the game in a nonlinear fashion. There are 8 worlds in the game and they are:
  • Acorn Plains
  • Layer-Cake Desert
  • Sparkling Waters
  • Frosted Glacier
  • Soda Jungle
  • Rock-Candy Mines
  • Meringue Clouds
  • Peach’s Castle

jDDG3FAY9T1ty.png

• Super Mushroom: transforms Small Mario into Super Mario. He’ll grow in height, can sustain one extra hit of damage, and can break Brick Blocks with jumps and ground pounds. Extra power-ups gained beyond Super Mario will grant yet another extra hit.

• Super Acorn: all-new power-up acorn that transforms Mario into Flying Squirrel Mario. While wearing the Flying Squirrel Suit, Mario can glide for short distances, get a small vertical boost, and cling briefly to walls.

• Fire Flower: transforms Mario into Fire Mario, which gives him the power to toss fireballs at enemies. These can incinerate certain enemies as well as melt ice.

• Ice Flower: returns from New Super Mario Bros. Wii and retains its previous functions. Balls of ice can freeze some enemies, allowing them to be picked up and thrown or shattered with a ground pound.

• Penguin Suit: has all the powers of the Ice Flower, plus the power to slide at high speeds along ice and swim freely underwater.
  • Mini-Mushroom: turns Mario into Mini Mario. While in this form, Mario can fit into tight spaces, run on water, and run along walls. If Mario sustains damage in this form, he’ll lose a life.
  • P-Acorn: lets Mario glide through an entire level before its extra powers expire. It can only be obtained from the mischievous creature Nabbit.

• Super Star: grants Mario temporary invincibility. While bathed in the power of the Super Star, Mario can run right through enemies to defeat them.

jbeHUphM4jhIyn.png

jOHQpjBYUOe8D.png

Rocket_Engine_Castle_NSMBU.png
Pokes_New_Super_Mario_Bros_WiiU.png

NSMBU_Crystal_Caverns_moving.png
new-super-mario-bros-u-1.png

68.png
65.png

41.png
40.png

39.png
28.png

16.png
5.jpg

j4Ib6G6rCvUKc.png

tumblr_mcjcl1MyzK1qj33tso4_400.png
Roy_Koopa_New_Super_Mario_Bros_U.png
Lemmy_Koopa_New_Super_Mario_Bros_U.png
New_Super_Mario_Bros_U_Inflatable_Yoshi.png

228px-230px-Peach_FS.png
WiiU_NewMarioU_4_item01_E3.png
Iggy_Koopa_New_Super_Mario_Bros_U.png
Koopalings-NSMB2-e1346123134133.png

2518_new-super-mario-bros-u-prev.png
602px-Nsmb2_starman_mario.png
2516_new-super-mario-bros-u-prev.png
480px-New-super-mario-bros-u-1-1-.png

2647_new-super-mario-bros-2-prev.png
white_tanooki_mario.png
ice_mario.png
New_Super_Mario_Bros_U_artwork_-_Mario_Squirrel_Suit_1-1.png

start-icon.png
boo-icon.png
Bullet_Bill_New_Super_Mario_Bros.png
250px-Nsmb2Bowser.png

shyguy.png
2517_new-super-mario-bros-u-prev.png
Lakitu-icon.png
Paper-Bowser-icon.png

jbsjoxwDUU7hWB.png

iBeCvdfSQkAeE.png

iD0WRmr30Z1Fm.gif

*Special thanks to Quick who made the banners and Cystm for the other awesome .gif banner.

dc89

If I was getting a Wii U at launch, this would be the only game I'd need.

Of course, when I do eventually get one, this will be purchased!

Thoraxes

My pre-orders are all set and me and 4 of my friends set aside all of Sunday to bro-op the whole game after we go out to breakfast!

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
The whole Super Mario World vibe hopefully pays off. I doubt it will recreate that magic but hopefully it creates a legacy of it's own, what with challenges and speed running. And off tv support, going to be great fun.

Hobby

Back of the Japanese box, in case anyone cared.

1-5 players
14 MB required for save data
Number of saves: 3 (shared among all users)
Supported video output: 480i, 480p, 1080i, 720p, 1080p (this isn't the resolution it runs at)
Supported controllers: Wii U gamepad, Wii Remote, Wii Remote MotionPlus
Nintendo Network: Sharing of experiences through Miiverse

OgfuZ.jpg

So getting this, with my Wii U.
Also getting Black Ops II, Assassin's Creed III, and Nintendo Land.
Zombi U for Christmas! : D

I WISH THIS HAD ONLINE.

1-5 players
Supported video output: 480i, 480p, 1080i, 720p, 1080p (this isn't the resolution it runs at)

OgfuZ.jpg

So, let' say I have six people in my family...We have to split three files between us? Or is that 3 saves per users? : (

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The wait for the Newegg shipment is going to be maddening. Might pick up Zombi U at launch to ease the pain.

DAY ONE. Standing in line in front of NINTENDO WORLD (flagship Nintendo store) IN Manhattan, NYC to snatch it at midnight. So pumped for this game.

Kyon

Banned
sunday can't come quick enough, really digging the SMW vibe & details we've been getting (even if i purposely scrolled past the levels, dont want them spoiled!)

kyons pls

I cancelled all my Wii U pre orders on Wii U RIP.

Except MH and Pikmin of course....

But launch wise I had Zombi U, NSMB, and NG3:RE ;__; I just don't know what I want.

I thought if this has online I would get it but it doesn't lol and I'm not really a fan of the NSMB series but its Mario in HD...

1-5 players

OgfuZ.jpg

Thanks, Hobby. Added that info to the OP.

I've been enjoying Mario 3D Land a lot, and seeing the screens/videos for this, it's sad that the visual style of this series is so below the 2D and full 3D Mario games.
Not saying it looks bad, it just doesn't have the charm that Galaxy and 3D Land have for example.

deleted

1-5 players

OgfuZ.jpg

Wait, we already know it works with the new pro controller, right?

Ban Puncher

Blue Toad and Yellow Toad have always stunk of laziness. There's a wealth of characters ripe for the choosing in the Mario universe or, holy shit to this, create some new original do not steal characters.

I'll still pick this up on day dot and enjoy it with family & friends but different coloured Toads for 3P and 4P has always got my panties in a bunch.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The only game on the Wii-U so far that would possibly push me over the edge in buying the system.

Mr. Fix

Fantastic OT. The screens are really making me itch right now. Not to mention that world map.

The only game on the Wii-U so far that would possibly push me over the edge in buying the system.

I know that feeling. I don't even want a Wii-U right now.

DAY ONE. Standing in line in front of NINTENDO WORLD (flagship Nintendo store) IN Manhattan, NYC to snatch it at midnight. So pumped for this game.
Doing the very same! In fact, I played the game in the store yesterday with my friend. Such silly fun, and little spurts of trying to contain non-child friendly words as my buddy expressed the gamepad's boost mode in many evil ways.

A little disappointing however that one can't play plain multiplayer with one Gamepad and one Wii Remote. I hope that's a demo limitation..

Twinduct

Couldn't find an OT for the Wii U, so asking here.
Just pre-ordered the Premium Console with Zombi U. So guess I'm officially part of the crew.

Quick question, I couldn't find info about this on the official site, but what connectors does the Wii U have at the back? Does it support TCP/IP?

They only mention Wi-Fi & then that it supports the Wii LAN adaptor ... which makes me believe it doesn't support it :<

Azure J

Could someone do some wizardry and Photoshop this image:

602px-Nsmb2_starman_mario.png

into my avatar in the lower right replacing the 2?

OG avatar image for anyone who needs it:

icpqxHid86nas.png

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Just pre-ordered the Premium Console with Zombi U. So guess I'm officially part of the crew.

Quick question, I couldn't find info about this on the official site, but what connectors does the Wii U have at the back? Does it support TCP/IP?

They only mention Wi-Fi & then that it supports the Wii LAN adaptor ... which makes me believe it doesn't support it :<

Wifi and USB LAN adapters once again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So, let' say I have six people in my family...We have to split three files between us? Or is that 3 saves per users? : (

I'd like clarification on this. Nintendo said user accounts will have their own save data, but there is also the ability to share data between users.

I'd prefer Nintendo start user per account saves, although at least they give you three slots which is barely enough for us and not enough if you want a backup save.

There is no ethernet port on the Wii U, but yes, the system will support a USB ethernet adapter.

Top Bottom