• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Smash Wii U Screenshot Reveals Metroid: Other M Stage ~ Pyrosphere

tranciful

It was never the intention. They've had different stages from the start. There's communication between the two, but no cross-play.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/04/26/change-coming-to-super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds

"As you noted, there is a certain dead end we come to if we just expand the volume of the game," Sakurai told me in a recent e-mail interview, clearly recognizing that simply adding more characters, items and stages wouldn't be enough. The Smash Bros. franchise, though repeatedly earning high praise from critics over its three entries, has effectively followed the same formula since its inception, evolving its style of play without shaking things up too much. So if merely expanding the idea isn't the only thing on Sakurai's mind... what is?

"I intend to change direction a little as we go," Sakurai said, indicating his desire to possbily find a new mechanic or idea to drive two new entries in the series. "The key to that's going to be its dual support for 3DS/Wii U."

So.. what? We're back to simply adding more characters? How exactly is releasing a similar game on 3DS "the key" to avoiding the dead end in terms of gameplay mechanics?

So you want the 3DS version to hold back the Wii U one even more?, I'm so glad Sakurai didn't go the PASBR way with this one.

After brawl, after finding out that namco is playing a big part in development, I'm barely interested in the game at all. No, I'd rather it not be held back.. but that's basically happening anyway (same combat system, right?). Cross-play wasn't what hurt PASBR, either.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If Smash is suppose to be a celebration of Nintendo, then an Other M stage akin to celebrating the day your parents were murdered.

Well I haven't play any Metroid game other than original and super. I totally agreed with you there since I would love to see some stages from old games getting graphic overhauled.

So will this thread be updated daily?

Nope, my thread will be. Apparently starting today, stage = new thread, so I doubt that this thread will updated since new news = new thread.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/04/26/change-coming-to-super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds

So.. what? We're back to simply adding more characters? How exactly is releasing a similar game on 3DS "the key" to avoiding the dead end in terms of gameplay mechanics?

After brawl, after finding out that namco is playing a big part in development, I'm barely interested in the game at all. No, I'd rather it not be held back.. but that's basically happening anyway (same combat system, right?). Cross-play wasn't what hurt PASBR, either.
Whats wrong with namco? You act as if sakurai is just standing around or something.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So I'm guessing the OP was fishing for shitting posts?

At the very least, the stage looks better to play on than all the previous metroid stages.

I did not? new thread for new news, i don't know what's so hard to understand. Mods like duckroll and Nirolak said it so many times.

It's not my fault when you guys are too afraid (?) of making new threads.

If the choice is between getting Other M shit in my Smash and no WiiU version I'll happily skip and get to the superior 3DS version (granted it doesn't have Other M shit smeared in it).

Ok, cool, for a second I thought you were being serious.

Thanks for clearing that up.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So I'm guessing the OP was fishing for shitting posts?

At the very least, the stage looks better to play on than all the previous metroid stages.

Probably since last 3 new stages, no one made new thread. I can see the importance of characters getting new thread. I hope that people don't decide to flooding up the front page of NeoGAF with new threads since we are getting "info" or screenshot everyday. That's a reason why I made the "hub" thread for minor updates to avoid that.

I did not? new thread for new news, i don't know what's so hard to understand. Mods like duckroll and Nirolak said it so many times.

It's not my fault when you guys are too afraid (?) of making new threads.

We are not being afraid of making new threads. I would say that we are being very considerate of other people, moderators and admin to not flooding their forum with SSB4 threads everyday.

Toxi

Banned
So the Smash Bros team chose to make a stage from the Metroid game with the shittiest and most generic level design. Great. Not only that, but the room they chose is the same room where Other M shat the bed so hard it's caked with blood. Double great.

If the choice is between getting Other M shit in my Smash and no WiiU version I'll happily skip and get to the superior 3DS version (granted it doesn't have Other M shit smeared in it).

Good lord, that's like skipping Brawl just because the victory jingle from Sonic 06 is in it.

krizzx

umm.. why not just link to the Miiverse screenshot instead of rehosting it? :\

zlCfzRGJsGMjAq_hfl

Miiverse screenshot? Of an unreleased game?

Sn4ke_911

Probably since last 3 new stages, no one made new thread. I can see the importance of characters getting new thread. I hope that people don't decide to flooding up the front page of NeoGAF with new threads since we are getting "info" or screenshot everyday. That's a reason why I made the "hub" thread for minor updates to avoid that.

We are not being afraid of making new threads. I would say that we are being very considerate of other people, moderators and admin to not flooding their forum with SSB4 threads everyday.

Well then your thread should be a sticky, i bet many people have missed the new Smash info.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So the Smash Bros team chose to make a stage from the Metroid game with the shittiest and most generic level design. Great. Not only that, but the room they chose is the same room where Other M shat the bed so hard it's caked with blood. Double great.
Metroid stages through history
Smash64: Area that lava rises up
Melee: Area that lava rises up
Brawl: Area that lava rises up

They're not exactly known for making the best Metroid stages.

I always get a little kick out of controversies surrounding whether something deserved its own thread...and how dare someone make a new thread...and my thread was better...and when is a new thread necessary. All the while, the people complaining about the existence of the thread in question continually bump it to the top of the pile.

Well there was that other stage from Metroid Prime in Brawl that flipped...

Mael

I'd say it was beyond salvageable by that point.
It was just the vomit cherry on the shit cake.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There was also Brinster depths in Melee, but they weren't really part of the point I was making.

I always get a little kick out of controversies surrounding whether something deserved its own thread...and how dare someone make a new thread...and my thread was better...and when is a new thread necessary. All the while, the people complaining about the existence of the thread in question continually bump it to the top of the pile.
People are upset that despite all the hate GAF give Other M they clearly give it more love than Pilotwings which didn't get a thread. ;__;

To everyone concerned that we got an Other M stage instead of a Prime stage, there were two Metroid stages in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, one based on the main series, the other on the Prime series. There could easily be a Prime stage as well. This does not rule out that possibility.

Toxi

Banned

This stage has lava too. I see Sakurai's really extending those creative muscles.

And that stage in Melee that also flipped. Knowing our luck, the second Metroid level in Smash Bros 4 will be a flipping one based on the generic ship corridor sections of Other M.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Well then your thread should be a sticky, i bet many people have missed the new Smash info.

I seriously doubt that moderator would set thread as sticky, but few people already stated that they are avoiding the thread because they don't want to dig through the thread to find the images. Right now I'm working on solution for people who don't really care about speculation and wish lists. I already added the daily image on front page, so people can just check it out without digging through the thread.

I'm really okay with you making new thread based on Metroid stage but I'm concerned that people would go out of control and make thread on every small update that are more likely to not be relevant to people. I guess new updates on characters, stages and major updates (such as story mode, online mode, etc) = new thread.

To everyone concerned that we got an Other M stage instead of a Prime stage, there were two Metroid stages in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, one based on the main series, the other on the Prime series. There could easily be a Prime stage as well. This does not rule out that possibility.

Yeah, I hope so.

comadorcrack

Neo Member
Other M was so poorly constructed that the mere mention or hint of its existence prevents me from enjoying a video game with nearly nothing to do with its awful story or sup-par design.

In other news. Pls let Ridley be a playable character! Bowser v Ridely needs to be a thing

Mael

So you're saying that instead of a Prime stage and a Super Metroid stage we get a slot lost on a shitty game?
I wonder how the Sonic fanbase would have reacted if the only Sonic stage they had was Sonic 06 stage...

So you're saying that instead of a Prime stage and a Super Metroid stage we get a slot lost on a shitty game?
I wonder how the Sonic fanbase would have reacted if the only Sonic stage they had was Sonic 06 stage...

Brawl had three Metroid stages.
Brinstar, Norfair and Frigate Orpheon.
I expect three for Sm4sh too at least, maybe 4 since we'll get different stages for both versions.
I understand the Other M hate but it's enough really, we got it. You don't like the game.
Sucks for you, don't buy the WiiU version if it's such a burden.

Again with this anti-third party shit?

smash was always a collection of everything nintendo, having 3rd party character just ruins for me. i hated sonic and snake so much since i not only think they are weak characters but it opened the floodgates. MegaMan is way better than those two but still nothing i want.

it's not like nintendo doesn't have more characters that would deserve a spot.

magnetic

Is Sakurai doing better again? Last time I heard he had some nasty RSI issues.

And, wow, the Pilotwings stage has Wuhu Island AND a flat mode 7 SNES area! I love details like these. The Pictochat stage in Brawl was really cool as well.

bennyc12

As long as you don't force us to listen to Samus' daddy issues, throw as much Other M in the game as you want, Sakurai.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
smash was always a collection of everything nintendo, having 3rd party character just ruins for me. i hated sonic and snake so much since i not only think they are weak characters but it opened the floodgates. MegaMan is way better than those two but still nothing i want.

it's not like nintendo doesn't have more characters that would deserve a spot.

Over Mega Man? Sorry, man, but I strongly disagree. There are few video game characters as iconically representative of the 8-bit Nintendo videogame era as Mega Man. Honestly, Nintendo has no other characters that I could see as a better fit than Mega Man. They've used everyone truly iconic by now. Anything else is just fan service for niche communities.

Codeblue

Brawl also had that safe zone that caused some pretty sweet "king of the hill" type moments.

Toxi

Banned
This is the second time this specific room has appeared as a stage in a fighting game.
DeadOrAliveDimensionsOtherM_010.jpg

I finalize realize what Square Enix fans must feel like with all the shitty Lightning pushing. Video game developers, we don't like Other M. All the copies sitting on shelves for 3 bucks at Best Buy should tell you that. I don't think putting Other M stages or designs into Smash Bros Wii U will ruin it, but for fuck's sake, stop shoving it our faces.

Seda

Speaking as a member - I'd like it if stage and character reveals were given new threads. I, for one reason or another, don't check the updates regularly and I appreciate somebody bringing this tidbit of info to my attention.

Speaking as a mod- No one is going to punish anybody for making threads of this sort. You can keep the main thread up to date as collection of all current info but feel free to make new threads to relay things as well.

That said, this area in Other M works well for Smash I think, despite it housing one of the poorest moments in the Metroid franchise.

Sn4ke_911

Speaking as a member - I'd like it if stage and character reveals were given new threads. I, for one reason or another, don't check the updates regularly and I appreciate somebody bringing this tidbit of info to my attention.

Speaking as a mod- No one is going to punish anybody for making threads of this sort. You can keep the main thread up to date as collection of all current info but feel free to make new threads to relay things as well.

That said, this area in Other M works well for Smash I think, despite it housing one of the poorest moments in the Metroid franchise.

Thank you.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Alright, that settled it. Now that would lead me to sharing my idea to solve the problem with other half of fans that don't really check main threads. The solution is that people should post weekly update (on Friday) after 5 images were posted and people can make a thread out of it and highlight the major updates such as stages, items or small information. That way people (who don't checked main thread) wouldn't miss out the informations.

Like this,

Title: Smash Daily Image (Date to Date) Weekly Update

Body: 5 images with Sakurai's comments and full size images for people who missed out the updates.

For example,

Smash Weekly Aug 12 to 16 - New Item: X-Bomb

Smash Weekly Aug 19 to 23 - New Stage: Metroid

Top Bottom