• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Smash Wii U Screenshot Reveals Metroid: Other M Stage ~ Pyrosphere

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I did enjoyed Other M.
Don't give too much credit about what people are saying about this game on the internet.

My only problems with the game were the pointing and the linearity (just like Fusion).

I really hope Samus will inherit some Other M moves/finishes. She could be deadly. Fast and Furious. Other M opened up a lot of things for Samus in Smash Bros. She used to be very Slow and Powerful, now she is lightning quick and deadly. I can't wait to play as Samus and discover her new moves.

Sorry for these unpopular reasoning and optimism...

yeah im with this comment, it is a more linear experience but the gameplay works and is even fun, people will say the art direction is terrible like on the last page, but then that is hyperbole cause we can post a game that has actual bad art direction

_Ace_

Unconfirmed Member
Don't need to be sorry! ^^

I quite like fast agile Other M Samus. I found it pretty entertaining the agility and the finisher moves in Other M despite the game's flaws. I'm sure it will also be a blast on SSB. Can't wait.

I liked Other M's gameplay so much that i replayed the game on hard mode. Samus' new moves and her agility made the action sequences and bosses fight a lot of fun. A lot more interesting than the other games of the serie actually.

And that's why Samus could become a lot more interesting in this Smash. Just imagine her new grabs...

Other M was shitty and it suck's Ridley got passed on again when there's barely anybody else as name-worthy left to add into Smash (besides Mac/Mewtwo/Chrom/Palutena who're probably already in), but skipping the game based solely on that is beyond ridiculous.

Plus giant reference to that PTSD bullshit aside it's a really nice looking stage. I'm honestly surprised that a game that's environment design felt like a series of metal hallways and simplistic 'themed' areas came out so much better looking in Smash. Plus while Corruption's Skytown is nice, Echoes' Sanctuary Fortress is where it's at.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Other M was shitty and it suck's Ridley got passed on again when there's barely anybody else as name-worthy left to add into Smash (besides Mac/Mewtwo/Chrom/Palutena who're probably already in), but skipping the game based solely on that is beyond ridiculous.

Plus giant reference to that PTSD bullshit aside it's a really nice looking stage. I'm honestly surprised that a game that's environment design felt like a series of metal hallways and simplistic 'themed' areas came out so much better looking in Smash. Plus while Corruption's Skytown is nice, Echoes' Sanctuary Fortress is where it's at.

PTSD. Hmm.

Stage Hazard: Ridley shown up in the stage and he would cause one of four characters to have PSTD and one of four character would getting frozen there.

Nessus

I liked Other M's gameplay so much that i replayed the game on hard mode. Samus' new moves and her agility made the action sequences and bosses fight a lot of fun. A lot more interesting than the other games of the serie actually.

And that's why Samus could become a lot more interesting in this Smash. Just imagine her new grabs...

Yeah, the problems with Other M mostly had little to do with the gameplay.

The writing/dialogue were easily the biggest problems, that and the Where's Waldo pixel hunts.

Pointing the controller at the screen for first person view wasn't *amazing* but I never really had any problem with it. It never failed to work, and it was only necessary at a few points.

Really don't understand the complaints about using the d-pad for "3D" movement as the game wasn't like, say, Mario 64 DS, where the levels were designed with analog movement in mind. Other M on the other hand allowed you to run down curving hallways by pushing in a single direction.

Also loved the dodge mechanic, and once you mastered it you started to feel really agile and powerful.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Because making generic unspecific titles to cater to the crazy tiny minority of that considers this spoilers is not conducive to the rest of the community.
This isn't even a big spoiler. Think of all the characters that will be revealed pre-release, surely those will warrant their own thread too, with an equally revealing title. That's just great. If you compare the situations of SSBM -> SSBB and SSBB -> U/3DS I'd say it's a healthy guess that more people won't want to be spoiled this time around due to the previous reveal fatigue. I've certainly read as much.

So...don't relentlessly follow every detail then I guess? I mean was knowing that the game would feature a lava-based Metroid stage really that big of a deal?
Relentlessly follow =/= surprised by random thread title. They're the opposite in fact.

I suppose a solution might be for thread makers to add *SSBB SPOILER* or something in the title. That's kind of cluttered though. Or maybe allow spoiler tagged titles. Also cluttered.

Why is this spoiler titled thread acceptable? Sure, make a thread for a new stage, or a new item, or a slight color change to one of the characters, but don't create unavoidable spoilers. That's just inconsiderate. With this series in particular there are people like me who were burnt out on the SSBB Dojo thread who want to know as little as possible about SSBU/3DS until release.

It's just a stage.

Yeah and I won't play as Samus anymore.

Dude really? I didn't like Other M either but I sure as hell won't ditch my main over the design being from it. Jesus man. I mean unless every time she attacks she just shouts "THE BABYYY!!!" it's not gonna ruin anything.

RagnarokX

I don't think Sakurai understands or cares about any fandom, least at all the Smash Bros one.

>_>

Well, it's not. It's not good either, but with some script editing it could be decent. The only part that is truly bad is how they handled Adam's sacrifice, when he shoots Samus with a deus ex machina gun that somehow knocks her out very easily and the poorly written and lengthy monologues.

Things to change:
  • Severely shorten/remove flashbacks and monologues. They get their point across but keep going. Overly wordy and long.
  • Call the baby "the infant metroid" or something less stupid-sounding. People are hyperbolic complaining about "the baby" when she only says it like 6 times and almost all in the intro, but it still sounds stupid.
  • Add a flashback showing Ridley killing Samus' parents and trying to kill her when she was 3 years old so people understand why she has PTSD. Maybe remind people again that she thinks he was dead for good when she has her PTSD flashback.
  • Ditch the deus ex machina gun. Have Adam lock a door with a window so she can talk to him but can't stop him or something.
  • Have a better ending. Proper final boss with the main antagonist.
People complain about the authorization system, but it was just an excuse to have Samus collect upgrades since people get upset when they don't explain why she doesn't have her weapons. It's no big deal. It's logically stupid, but it's not something you're supposed to take so seriously. I think people make a bigger deal out of this because they really want it to use as a point that the game is making a sexist statement about Samus being a weak woman bowing to male authority, but the genders don't really have anything to do with that relationship. If their genders were flipped they'd have the same relationship.

This stage is where the single most hated part of the single most hated game in the franchise takes place, right?

That's certainly not a coincidence. Sakurai be trollin' y'all.

Kjellson

In a perfect world we'd have Skytown from Prime 3 instead.

hqdefault.jpg
I actually thought the stage was from the place where you fought Defense Drone i Skytown when I first saw the image. Haha.

(Haven't played Other M.)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
This stage is where the single most hated part of the single most hated game in the franchise takes place, right?

That's certainly not a coincidence. Sakurai be trollin' y'all.

1stly, people hate the cutscene which was depicting samus' PTSD not the stage, infact most people said the ridley fight is the funnest part of other M

Canon

Banned
Just like Dead or Alive Dimensions.

And haters gonna hate, I'm glad Sakurai doesn't care about Internet rage.

Not

Banned
So is this the new thread? We're gonna have a thread a month until release then?

EDIT:
Nope. This thread is for the stage only.

Oops, sorry. Then we gotta make sure no one posts about Smash in general I guess

DOUBLE EDIT:

We knew this with the Miiverse post. Also, don't post general Smash stuff in this thread. Use this one instead:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=645643

Toxi

Banned
Well, it's not. It's not good either, but with some script editing it could be decent. The only part that is truly bad is how they handled Adam's sacrifice, when he shoots Samus with a deus ex machina gun that somehow knocks her out very easily and the poorly written and lengthy monologues.

Things to change:
  • Severely shorten/remove flashbacks and monologues. They get their point across but keep going. Overly wordy and long.
  • Call the baby "the infant metroid" or something less stupid-sounding. People are hyperbolic complaining about "the baby" when she only says it like 6 times and almost all in the intro, but it still sounds stupid.
  • Add a flashback showing Ridley killing Samus' parents and trying to kill her when she was 3 years old so people understand why she has PTSD. Maybe remind people again that she thinks he was dead for good when she has her PTSD flashback.
  • Ditch the deus ex machina gun. Have Adam lock a door with a window so she can talk to him but can't stop him or something.
  • Have a better ending. Proper final boss with the main antagonist.
People complain about the authorization system, but it was just an excuse to have Samus collect upgrades since people get upset when they don't explain why she doesn't have her weapons. It's no big deal. It's logically stupid, but it's not something you're supposed to take so seriously. I think people make a bigger deal out of this because they really want it to use as a point that the game is making a sexist statement about Samus being a weak woman bowing to male authority, but the genders don't really have anything to do with that relationship. If their genders were flipped they'd have the same relationship.
All of these are basically band-aids. They solve the surface issues of Other M's story, but the core issues are much less specific and permeate the entire work. Here's what I think the core issues of Other M's story are.

• It's aimless until it becomes rushed. Most of the game is just Adam ordering you to go to one place, then Adam ordering you to go to another after you fail to succeed at the first objective. There is no real sense of plot progression because Samus is just following orders from Adam and she never really accomplishes anything. She doesn't kill Ridley, she doesn't apprehend MB, she doesn't catch the Deleter. The plot only actually starts when you meet MB and she info-dumps you on the Metroid project, after at least half the game (And three quarters of the gameplay). Then the plot goes by with tons of cutscenes, eventually culminating in a massive info-dump that reveals the villain and her motives. It's a fucking drag. Improving the pacing of the plot would have helped the game massively.
  • I have no reason to care for any of the characters. Samus doesn't interact with anybody else and only narrates about her feelings, so I have no real reason to care for her. Adam only does things that hinder the player and doesn't interact with Samus beyond giving her orders. Most of Adam's squad barely has any dialogue outside the necessities; the only thing we know about their personalities is that Lyle is a dumbass. The reason why so many people latched onto Anthony as the "best" character is that he's the only one with small-talk. Characters need to express themselves in some way for us to know and care about them. We aren't going to just care about Samus because "she's Samus"; Sakamoto needs to make us care about Samus.
  • The script is really damn dumb. It sounds dumb. Samus sounds like an idiot because her dialogue is often redundant and just narrates things that the player can plainly see. The script also doesn't have any life; it's all exposition, so it might as well be a plot summary.
  • The story is told mainly through long cutscenes. While this style may work decently in some games like the Metal Gear Solid series, Metroid has never been about storytelling through cutscenes. The storytelling should be in the environment and the characters' actions because Metroid is about exploration instead of dialogue, but Other M's environment feels sterile. There are no real hints that the BOTTLE SHIP was a place that was lived in and worked in.
  • The characters just act like idiots. Samus doesn't talk to Adam about the deleter; that's an idiot plot. Adam shoots Samus instead of talking with her; that's an idiot plot. The Federation creates a robot with super-strength and don't have a simple off-switch; that's an idiot plot. All of these dumb moments happen for a very simple reason: The plot forces the characters to act in this way. If Samus talked to Adam about the deleter, we would find out he is not the deleter. If Adam didn't shoot Samus, we couldn't have had the Sector Zero tearful goodbye. If the Federation programmed MB with an off-switch, none of the game would have happened. Because Other M's narrative prioritizes the plot over the characters and logic, everything and everyone seem really stupid. Instead of forcing a plot, Sakamoto should have let it build within the existing framework. Adam's whole sacrifice scene is probably the crowning moment of this; there are so many ways he could have avoided blowing himself up, but they're all conveniently forgotten so that he can blow himself up because PATHOS!!!1!
  • The plot is unambitious. Most of the beats were done in Fusion: Samus allies with the GF and travels to a space research lab to investigate what killed its scientists. She is working in a strained relationship with her former superior officer Adam Malkovich, who seems to know more than he lets on. Adam sends her to the various environmental simulation sectors of the space ship with random objectives. She finds out that the Federation was corrupt and was cloning Metroids and the module is detached. Also, Nightmare and Ridley appear. The only times the game tries to do something new, it doesn't commit. For example, Samus has PTSD, but it only appears in one scene with no foreshadowing and is never mentioned again.

Honestly, just torching the mess and starting over with something that doesn't resemble a Fusion fanfic would probably be the best way of fixing Other M's plot.

Rubius

I'm sure they will
for their children

If your argument is that Megaman is more of a videogame than Wii Fit thus it is more "Nintendo" I guess you'd argue this isn't Nintendo:

y2N4NKel.jpg

Which would be beyond silly.

VZROr0F.gif

I hope the baby appear in the stage, and Samus goes "The Baby!"

Tuck

In a perfect world we'd have Skytown from Prime 3 instead.

hqdefault.jpg

Agree completely. Would be a stunning stage.

I don't really mind this Other M stage - looks fine and its from one of the nicer looking areas.

Unfortunately, I still can't seem to get excited about this Smash Bros entry.

Has the joke already been made that this stage is giving people PTSD about Other M? Because I'm making it right now. It's just a stage, people. I don't know why people are letting it affect them this much.

RagnarokX

All of these are basically band-aids. They solve the surface issues of Other M's story, but the core issues are much less specific and permeate the entire work. Here's what I think the core issues of Other M's story are.

• It's aimless until it becomes rushed. Most of the game is just Adam ordering you to go to one place, then Adam ordering you to go to another after you fail to succeed at the first objective. There is no real sense of plot progression because Samus is just following orders from Adam and she never really accomplishes anything. She doesn't kill Ridley, she doesn't apprehend MB, she doesn't catch the Deleter. The plot only actually starts when you meet MB and she info-dumps you on the Metroid project, after at least half the game (And three quarters of the gameplay). Then the plot goes by with tons of cutscenes, eventually culminating in a massive info-dump that reveals the villain and her motives. It's a fucking drag. Improving the pacing of the plot would have helped the game massively.
  • I have no reason to care for any of the characters. Samus doesn't interact with anybody else and only narrates about her feelings, so I have no real reason to care for her. Adam only does things that hinder the player and doesn't interact with Samus beyond giving her orders. Most of Adam's squad barely has any dialogue outside the necessities; the only thing we know about their personalities is that Lyle is a dumbass. The reason why so many people latched onto Anthony as the "best" character is that he's the only one with small-talk. Characters need to express themselves in some way for us to know and care about them. We aren't going to just care about Samus because "she's Samus"; Sakamoto needs to make us care about Samus.
  • The script is really damn dumb. It sounds dumb. Samus sounds like an idiot because her dialogue is often redundant and just narrates things that the player can plainly see. The script also doesn't have any life; it's all exposition, so it might as well be a plot summary.
  • The story is told mainly through long cutscenes. While this style may work decently in some games like the Metal Gear Solid series, Metroid has never been about storytelling through cutscenes. The storytelling should be in the environment and the characters' actions because Metroid is about exploration instead of dialogue, but Other M's environment feels sterile. There are no real hints that the BOTTLE SHIP was a place that was lived in and worked in.
  • The characters just act like idiots. Samus doesn't talk to Adam about the deleter; that's an idiot plot. Adam shoots Samus instead of talking with her; that's an idiot plot. The Federation creates a robot with super-strength and don't have a simple off-switch; that's an idiot plot. All of these dumb moments happen for a very simple reason: The plot forces the characters to act in this way. If Samus talked to Adam about the deleter, we would find out he is not the deleter. If Adam didn't shoot Samus, we couldn't have had the Sector Zero tearful goodbye. If the Federation programmed MB with an off-switch, none of the game would have happened. Because Other M's narrative prioritizes the plot over the characters and logic, everything and everyone seem really stupid. Instead of forcing a plot, Sakamoto should have let it build within the existing framework. Adam's whole sacrifice scene is probably the crowning moment of this; there are so many ways he could have avoided blowing himself up, but they're all conveniently forgotten so that he can blow himself up because PATHOS!!!1!
  • The plot is unambitious. Most of the beats were done in Fusion: Samus allies with the GF and travels to a space research lab to investigate what killed its scientists. She is working in a strained relationship with her former superior officer Adam Malkovich, who seems to know more than he lets on. Adam sends her to the various environmental simulation sectors of the space ship with random objectives. She finds out that the Federation was corrupt and was cloning Metroids and the module is detached. Also, Nightmare and Ridley appear. The only times the game tries to do something new, it doesn't commit. For example, Samus has PTSD, but it only appears in one scene with no foreshadowing and is never mentioned again.

Honestly, just torching the mess and starting over with something that doesn't resemble a Fusion fanfic would probably be the best way of fixing Other M's plot.

The core story is serviceable. Yes, a less of a Fusion retread would have been better, but working with what they gave us it could have certainly been presented in a better manner to not confuse the amount of people it has.

On your points:

• Yes, I said this. Cut down cutscene time. Pace the dispersment of cutscenes better. To be fair, Zebes never felt like the Chozo really lived there. Tourian sure wasn't a well designed base for daily activities. Space Pirates "tubes!" comic. I also made the point about the ending. It needed better resolution, but it could be done. The overall plot isn't bad, though, just how it's told is sloppy.
  • I think part of what Other M was trying to convey is that Samus is a socially awkward woman who was raised by birds and has trouble dealing with other people. She's quiet and doesn't talk much; except in her head where she won't shut up. They could have fleshed out the other characters but Samus, Adam, and Anthony were really the only ones that weren't fodder. They did a decent job making Anthony likeable, but they did a poor job conveying Samus' deal and her relationship with Adam. This is fixable with better writing and cutscenes. Another thing the intro conveys is that Samus is going through a sort of existential crisis. She completed the mission that the Chozo trained her for; destroyed the Metroids and the Space Pirates. Yet she feels hollow. The baby metroid sacrificing itself for her and the lack of awareness the rest of the galaxy has as to the danger they narrowly avoided has left her with some doubt and she's reflecting on her past and thinking about if she made mistakes. Other M is about Samus reevaluating herself and coming to terms with the past and finding resolve for the future.
  • I think Samus is supposed to sound awkward because she is awkward. She was raised by birds and doesn't socialize well. But yes, I said that Samus overstating things was a big problem and that could be fixed by trimming her monologues.
  • Just because they hadn't told story through cutscenes before doesn't mean they shouldn't. The issue with the cutscenes was that they were too long and overly wordy. They could have gotten the same amount of plot across with shorter cutscenes and script. The Prime games, Prime 3 especially, had cutscenes, but they paced them better.
  • Samus doesn't talk to Adam about the Deleter because she doesn't trust anybody, not even Adam or Anthony. She's a socially awkward person that spends most of her time alone in space. Adam was also acting strange and hiding something from her, which turned out to be the fact that he wasn't acting on orders from the Federation. I think Adam's motivation for keeping things secret from Samus was to keep her from running off and committing suicide herself. Adam shooting Samus was dumb. They could have done the same thing by having Adam lock Samus in a hallway so she couldn't stop him from his suicide mission. Like I said, I think the poor handling of Adam's sacrifice was the worst part of the plot. We don't know if MB had an off switch or not. She could have prevented them from using one, like Robocop 2.
  • And yeah, the plot is unambitious and retreads Fusion. That doesn't make it bad, though. From what I recall, Samus doesn't find out that the Federation itself is corrupt. For all she know it was a rogue faction. Even so, she's not exactly going to declare war on the Galaxy. And yeah, they could have explained the PTSD better.

But my point is that the plot isn't bad. It's not good, but it could be presented and explained better. Additional/fewer/shorter cutscenes, better pacing, better script. It's salvageable. It's not the end of the world like people make it out to be. It doesn't ruin the franchise; it doesn't ruin Samus.

Sponge

Banned
So wait, are people upset there's an Other M stage in Smash Brothers?

Wow. Just because a lot of people don't like a game doesn't mean Nintendo is gonna ignore it in general. Sonic Team didn't ignore Sonic 06 in Sonic Generations, and Crisis City was one of my favorite levels from that game.

If something is bad, that doesn't mean you should forget about it. That means you should learn from it. The overall look of Other M wasn't the problem, so why is having a stage bad?

RomanceDawn

That's actually a different Donkey Kong, better known as Cranky Kong.

Well that's exactly what I meant. Other M Ridley isn't the same Ridley we know and love from almost every other Metroid. We could potentially get a 75 Meters situation going.

I think if Smash 4 is clearly using Metroid: Other M as a base, then I have a good (bad?) feeling that Ridley truly isn't getting in. His Other M design clearly is too big. His Prime/Brawl design would have been fine... but the Other M one is crazy disproportionate if you shrunk it down.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So wait, are people upset there's an Other M stage in Smash Brothers?

Wow. Just because a lot of people don't like a game doesn't mean Nintendo is gonna ignore it in general. Sonic Team didn't ignore Sonic 06 in Sonic Generations, and Crisis City was one of my favorite levels from that game.

If something is bad, that doesn't mean you should forget about it. That means you should learn from it. The overall look of Other M wasn't the problem, so why is having a stage bad?

It's just likely going to be the only new metroid representation, and it being the game that has for now essentially stopped the franchise is a shame. I guess the only comparison I can think of is like playstation all stars putting in the shitty dante version.

Though skipping the game for it is...uh, nuts. I am really curious to see the inevitable mario galaxy stage.

RagnarokX

Well that's exactly what I meant. Other M Ridley isn't the same Ridley we know and love from almost every other Metroid. We could potentially get a 75 Meters situation going.

He technically is. Despite some canonicity issues with the manga, Other M drew details from it like Samus' past with Ridley and her PTSD. It also took from it that Ridley can regenerate his body by consuming flesh even after being blown to pieces. Samus thought he was dead for good because she blew up the entire planet he was on, but some of his cells hitched a ride on her suit and were regenerated by the scientists. He most likely still had his memories. He does single Samus out.

I have to ask this, why does Nintendo focus on Other M instead of Prime 3? They are both Wii titles and without naming names one of them is a lot better received and deservingly so..

KarmaCow

I have to ask this, why does Nintendo focus on Other M instead of Prime 3? They are both Wii titles and without naming names one of them is a lot better received and deservingly so..

Metroid is still Sakamoto's series and Other M also redesigned the characters. He and his team decide the direction of the series (see: Zero Suit vs the variety before).

RagnarokX

Whose to say they won't have any stages based on Prime? They most likely went with Other M's design for Samus rather than Prime 3 because her look was more iconic in that game. Most of Prime 3 Samus looks like this:

vDHQN9J.jpg

Hopefully them going with Other M's design is indicative that they are making her quicker and more agile in Smash.

Top Bottom