• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New "The Last of Us" Trailer

Aaron

Have you played the Uncharted games?
I probably shouldn't have said all. Uncharted 2 had some amazing playable moments for sure, and didn't feel bogged down in cut-scenes. I guess I really wish they were showing something playable of Last of Us instead of this. Because this doesn't do anything for me.

Loudninja

Really, really, really hope the gameplay is totally different from the Uncharted series. I would prefer the implementation of some survival/horror mechanics; rationing ammunition, avoiding conflicts, being totally outnumbered. But please not another pew pew pew game. Not that I have anything against traditional TPS's, I just think this game could be so much more than that.
You are in luck,that what this game is.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461993

Edit:SS beat me to it :p

Its not, read the GI preview.

Just did, thanks for posting the thread link btw. Somehow slipped under my lurking radar, that one. This is making me very hopeful, am anxious to see how it's going to look and feel, especially combat. I was very disappointed with the UC3 melee system, especially after coming off playing Arkham City. Hope this turns out better!

Bombadil

Banned
Do you realize that every game made thus far follows the same pattern you've described to knock the Uncharted games? It's called a videogame.

I think I made that clear in another post.

I'm upset that a great developer like Naughty Dog does it, too.

Edit: And not ever video game does it, though too many in the past few years have.

My god, that was beautiful. Cannot wait. I loved I Am Alive and that was basically a crappy tech demo for Last of Us, so this has great potential to be one of my favorite games. They have so much feeling/context out of a 1 minute video, cannot imagine the full thing...

And I love the gaf hive that buzz around trying to find things to pick out. But this thread is pretty positive, nice change :p

Y'know, if I was riding in the passenger seat of a vehicle about to be t-boned by a metro bus, I wouldn't quip "Not good!" I'd be like "HOLY FUCKING SHIT A BUS FUCK"

Naughty Dog gots to have them quips.

C'mon, Sony keep a few bullets for E3, goddamn.

Who says they haven't? Sucker Punch, Guerilla Games, and Quantic Dream are all working on new games. Gameplay hasn't been shown for God of War or The Last of Us. There's an outside chances that The Last Guardian might appear. They also have Sly 4, Little Big Planet Karting, and the Sony fighting game to show if they wish to do so. They have no shortage of games.

yencid

Who says they haven't? Sucker Punch, Guerilla Games, and Quantic Dream are all working on new games. Gameplay hasn't been shown for God of War or The Last of Us. There's an outside chances that The Last Guardian might appear. They also have Sly 4, Little Big Planet Karting, and the Sony fighting game to show if they wish to do so. They have no shortage of games.

lets not forget the vita.

This trailer pretty much established that I probably still want to play it even if the game is terrible, because the tone of it is amazing enough on its own.

TheOddOne

Fun teaser. Still think this will be scripted much like Uncharted.

iSgT6pXduVCEn.gif

i6PYYrQUDiKeJ.gif

Bowdz

God damn that was impressive. Naughty Dog has absolutely nailed realistic animations (better than anyone else IMO) and visuals in the trailer looked to be a step ahead of Uncharted 3 (if that is even possible). Hopefully we will get to see some gameplay at E3.

Drencrom

Really like the raw feel of the cut scenes, it's clear that they want it to stand out from Uncharted.

Looking forward to gameplay at E3.

Really, really, really hope the gameplay is totally different from the Uncharted series. I would prefer the implementation of some survival/horror mechanics; rationing ammunition, avoiding conflicts, being totally outnumbered.

Good news, it's happening! Health packs are in too.

Fun teaser. Still think this will be scripted much like Uncharted.

iSgT6pXduVCEn.gif

i6PYYrQUDiKeJ.gif

there will be scripted scenes and it's linear, but the play area will be bigger to accommodate stealth gameplay and exploration. think MGS4 chapter 1 and 2. that's my guess of the scope of the level.

I really like the new Ellie.

Hopefully the actual game will be up to snuff since ND is being unusually secretive about it at the moment. Guessing we'll finally see some sort of gameplay at or just before E3.

TheOddOne

there will be scripted scenes and it's linear, but the play area will be bigger to accommodate stealth gameplay and exploration. think MGS4 chapter 1 and 2. that's my guess of the scope of the level.
Still, even how they described it felt very linear. It's still ND, so it will be enjoyable even if it's scripted.

Still, even how they described it felt very linear. It's still ND, so it will be enjoyable even if it's scripted.

how did they describe it? the previews I remember reading seems to say it's pretty open, you can go into some optional coffee shop to look for supply etc

I get that impression, still we have yet to see the "core" gameplay.

I expect it to be mainly a stealth/sneaking game with emphasis on melee combat due to rare ammo. you can grab and throw brick around, that would be perfect for creating distraction and planning route to sneak around.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Kept hoping the last 15 seconds or so would be at least a brief montage of some gameplay following the cutscene.

Still extemely excited about this though. Serious potential.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
this is my most anticipated game for the next future, up to now (together with Luigi's Mansion 2 and Fire Emblem Awakaning)

Really, really, really hope the gameplay is totally different from the Uncharted series. I would prefer the implementation of some survival/horror mechanics; rationing ammunition, avoiding conflicts, being totally outnumbered. But please not another pew pew pew game. Not that I have anything against traditional TPS's, I just think this game could be so much more than that.

Come on, you really think they are going to make a whole new IP and make it exactly the same?

IGN: Uncharted's combat is all about wasting bullets and then just finding more. If we're scavenging in this apocalypse, is that style of fighting out the window?

Bruce Straley: Not completely, but it will have a much different feel, and greater consequence if you choose to play that way. The Last of Us takes place in a much darker, more brutal world. There has to be realistic tension between the characters, and a sense of danger and consequence when you are in combat. Civilization and the production of goods as we know it have ceased, and many things are in short supply – especially expendables like bullets, or first aid supplies. Because of this, you’re going to have to make judgment calls on when to use and when to conserve your supplies. But there still will be avenues the more action-oriented player can take to make their way through the game. That creates very different combat scenarios from most shooters out today.

Sweet.

Someone on youtube said the song was Alone & Forsaken by Hank Williams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8mO6JVAShw

So Good.

Ahhh, that was too brief - I want to see more! Still, you can tell this will be a pretty intense experience through and through. I like playing games that make me nervous.

omg they say at the beginning of IGN video that its an "end of this year title NOT end of 2013 title" !!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU ND !!

TheOddOne

I expect it to be mainly a stealth/sneaking game with emphasis on melee combat due to rare ammo. you can grab and throw brick around, that would be perfect for creating distraction and planning route to sneak around.
Not to say that linear is a bad thing though, it can be done great (Uncharted 2) and not so great (Uncharted 3). Seeing this being from the "new" team and the old heads over seeing it, I'm pretty positive it will be a great game.

Endo Punk

Much respect to ND. It's unheard of for a major developer to release a new IP at the latter half of a gen, espeically in this economy. I shall buy two copies to support my Naughty Gods !!!

Top Bottom