• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshots from now until launch

Pyrokai

Omg they spelled it Hyrulian instead of Hyrulean which is how it is used in some games but I think Hyrulian is the old way so it's actually back to normal but then again I think they might actually be two different denonyms or something.

I wish they would explain the Hylian vs. normal human thing was explained better.

Nanashrew

Banned
God I hate Facebook's terrible compression of images. I hope they release these uncompressed on their site or something. Even Tumblr is better for image quality.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I really cannot see how BotW is not a launch day title with this kind of stuff. Between using it to show the very first and only live footage of the Switch system on Jimmy Fallon to this, not to mention dedicating all of E3 to the game, none of that says "we're releasing this game in 7+ months." And if they are actually releasing in June then Nintendo's PR and marketing departments are fucking dumb.

Shiggy

I really cannot see how BotW is not a launch day title with this kind of stuff. Between using it to show the very first and only live footage of the Switch system on Jimmy Fallon to this, not to mention dedicating all of E3 to the game, none of that says "we're releasing this game in 7+ months." And if they are actually releasing in June then Nintendo's PR and marketing departments are fucking dumb.

Or maybe they just don't want to release an unfinished and bug-ridden Zelda game?

nice litle dusk scene :). midday lighting will have that same vista looking a bit less muted for sure

Man that rock texture is rough.

Yea, ive noticed a pretty large disparity when it comes to rock/stone in this game. there are plenty of examples of beautifully textured stone that isn't also meant to blend in with soil and look more earthy which actually also seems to have normal mapping when the sunlight in the game is kissing it, then you have ones like that...

Ugh, screw whomever came up with the idea of using Facebook for something that's considered "news" of any sort. I keep away from that shitty site as it's toxic, then companies and entities pull these kinds of stunts.

Changing seasons would be magical.
Even if not, it's beautiful. I sure do hope the kind souls of GAF keep posting every picture here as they come.
:3c

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Or maybe they just don't want to release an unfinished and bug-ridden Zelda game?

That's totally fine. I have zero issues with them wanting to wait until after Switch launch to ensure a better game, but their marketing of the game in no way reflects that it is more than half a year away.

It's so ugly.... Bland, poorly detailed environments and terribad character design. =(

Par for the course for the series since Wind Waker though.

Its so frustrating how Nintendo always shows off awesome looking Zelda tech demos to tease people about "what could be" and then the actual game looks so disappointing. Its like they're intentionally trolling us.

I hope its like Smash's Pic of the day. People was getting crazy waiting for the pic in those days.

BTW, the pic is gorgeous.

Raiden

Banned
Really hope those aren't Switch version screens.

This game was originally developed in the Wii U right? I mean in the end its going to be a glorified port which is fine by me. Just dont expect it to be the visual parade horse for the switch. Mario is going to have that cake probably.

PtM

Banned
Rehost for some mobile-Gaf fellas
<3
It's so ugly.... Bland, poorly detailed environments and terribad character design. =(

Its so frustrating how Nintendo always shows off awesome looking Zelda tech demos to tease people about "what could be" and then the actual game looks so disappointing. Its like they're intentionally trolling us.
"Us".

It's not a flattering shot. That mountain texture could look less flat and more detailed, and the foliage on the trees could look less paper-y. Not worried because I've seen this game in action and it's looked beautiful, no need to start pants shitting over one bad image

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I like the Zelda BotW's art. But this screenshot embeds the beauty and the ugliness of the game in one. There is such a mix of nice looking landscapes and beautiful colours with purely crap textures from time to time in what we've seen until now and this image has them all in one.

bomma_man

You hate twilight princess but like the wii u tech demo?

&#129300;

I still don't like how desaturated and dulled the colours are compared to the original trailer.

Everything looks like it's obscured by fog or dust, which I guess is the WiiU/Switch hardware limitations needing to be compensated for, but It's a crying shame they've muted what should be such a rich, vibrant landscape.

Striek

The opinions ITT are all over the place, heh.

My opinion is the art would be better served by decent tech. The Wii U (and/or Switch) can't pull this style off in screenshots well, let alone in motion.

Uhh, ok? I know we credit DF some authority on technical analysis, but thats just one guys opinion on aesthetic pleasantness.

Actually two guys who played it at different times on different TV sets.

They claim Nintendo's footage looks more washed out than when you see the game for yourself.

Id rather take their opinion than someone who's never ever seen it in person.

They're usually spot on as well to be fair.

Striek

Actually two guys who played it at different times on different TV sets.

They claim Nintendo's footage looks more washed out than when you see the game for yourself.

Is rather take their opinion than someone who's never ever seen it in person.
Ok? You would also rather take an opinion that validates your own. No one is trying to convince you this isn't gorgeous. But you aren't going to convince anyone who believes it's a low res, technically blah title otherwise either. And we're talking a screens here. Discuss it in motion and ayy lm...

You hate twilight princess but like the wii u tech demo?

&#129300;

I love Twilight Princess. It's my favorite Zelda game and the last great game Nintendo ever made.

That said, it does have atrocious character design, but that is a recurring fault that every game in the series has suffered from for nearly 20 years.

takriel

Please don't spoil every area and dungeon before the game comes out. Getting bad SS flashbacks here.

I love Twilight Princess. It's my favorite Zelda game and the last great game Nintendo ever made.

That said, it does have atrocious character design, but that is a recurring fault that every game in the series has suffered from for nearly 20 years.

Must be hard standing on dat edge.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
BotW is a good looking game, but that is not a flattering screenshot at all.

The opinions ITT are all over the place, heh.

My opinion is the art would be better served by decent tech. The Wii U (and/or Switch) can't pull this style off in screenshots well, let alone in motion.

What? Games that have bad screenshots tend to look better in motion.

bomma_man

but, i mean your post suggests that you don't like the character design/art in TP, but do in the tech demo, when they're one and the same

Striek

What? Games that have bad screenshots tend to look better in motion.
Not really something I'd say is true. Lots of games look fantastic in screens and in motion, or vice-versa, which is simply Occam's razor applied. There is no rule of thumb. BoTW's popup is a technical and artistic disaster though and hopefully not present in the Switch version.

Top Bottom