• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshots from now until launch

but, i mean your post suggests that you don't like the character design/art in TP, but do in the tech demo, when they're one and the same

I loved the enemy and environmental design (barring some ugly n64 quality textures).

It was the character design for everyone not Link/Zelda/Ganondorf that was a total eyesore.

JayBabay

Art style is beautiful as expected but the textures on the ground are very low IQ. It's just one image though and generally with the grass it's looked just fine.

Joqu

I don't think there's going to be seasons. It'd be lovely, I love the autumn look in that shot and it'd be great to have any area transform to such a look during the appropriate season, but we've already seen a snow area when the game was shown off at E3. I really think it's just going to be areas.

I still don't like how desaturated and dulled the colours are compared to the original trailer.

Everything looks like it's obscured by fog or dust, which I guess is the WiiU/Switch hardware limitations needing to be compensated for, but It's a crying shame they've muted what should be such a rich, vibrant landscape.

Sorry, but I don't get why people keep bringing the colour pallete up. It's clearly a stylistic choice. They've mentioned they're inspired by gouache art and it reflects just that

I'm all for bright and saturated colour palettes too, but lower saturation doesn't equal bad and it really weirds me out how people seem to think it does. It's totally fine if it's not your preference, but it's still a legitimate art direction choice

Amalthea

Banned
Actually it'd be a cool way to reveal a season mechanic if the landscape in each screen starting from now to february turns to winter and then from february to march into spring.

takriel

Console Zeldas are always such a trade-off. They have these grand visions for every new game but are kept back significantly by their underpowered consoles. Such a shame, really.

Piichan

Banned
Visually it looks kind of underwhelming. I wonder what a Zelda game built from the ground up would look like on Switch. Guess we'll have to wait for Zelda on the Switch successor to release to find out.

I still don't like how desaturated and dulled the colours are compared to the original trailer.

Everything looks like it's obscured by fog or dust, which I guess is the WiiU/Switch hardware limitations needing to be compensated for, but It's a crying shame they've muted what should be such a rich, vibrant landscape.

its important for people to understand that time of day/weather drastically effect how this game's art/world comes through and is presented to the player (for better or for worse)

here's a quick grab of the game to match that initial e3 2014 reveal in the ways you're describing:
h5P6Sun.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There is almost nothing appealing to me about the chosen image. Not negatively appealing, but even based on the footage we've seen so far it's such a nothing screenshot. Exceedingly average on a technical level, and artistically not a particularly astounding or emotionally evoking vista. A bunch of low res shitty treetops (and not that many at that), flat hill hidden in the distance, and shit rock textures.

Link's shield looks dope though so I'll give it that.

Kinda thinking it's time for a blackout on this game though. As much as I love Zelda, Nintendo has proven to be utterly abhorrent at respecting their own games in pre-release media and have a shocking tendency to spoil huge chunks of them. I feel with Breath of the Wild more than anything the sense of discovery and wonder is paramount to everything else; to wander into a wilderness you know nothing about. And while I don't really care what others do, I really, truly feel in this case my experience with this game will be significantly enhanced by seeing and knowing as little as possible about the world itself from hereon out.

So consider this a shitpost and a tap out.

Console Zeldas are always such a trade-off. They have these grand visions for every new game but are kept back significantly by their underpowered consoles. Such a shame, really.
You could have just said botw isn't presented in its best light by this image, but no, you had to make a sweeping generalization about all console zelda games being vaguely repressed somehow, like the gamecube and n64 were underpowered systems. Such a shame, really!

ramparter

Banned
Imo this looks already dated :(

I don't care for cutting edge technology and Nintendo are wizards of making beatiful games from weak tech but this screenshot looks meh. Hope it won't feel the same when I will be playing.

-shadow-

Looks great all things considered. My biggest problem last generation was that all open world games looks really bland, so seeing some popping colours is great. Can't wait for this game. I'm pumped for it!

takriel

You could have just said botw isn't presented in its best light by this image, but no, you had to make a sweeping generalization about all console zelda games being vaguely repressed somehow, like the gamecube and n64 were underpowered systems. Such a shame, really!

Nah, it's true. They always have these big ideas on what this new Zelda game should be like, but end up having to do significant trade-offs because of the hardware.

At least they nailed the art style in OoT/MM 3D, WW HD, SS, and now BotW.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nintendo needs to do at some point an open world game where Zelda team designs the characters and Monolith Soft designs all the environments and fauna and flora.

If fairness, this is a particularly bad looking screenshot.

Here's one where the game actually looks good.

Is that an actual screenshot though? The name says artwork and there are no jaggies and we have seen how many jaggies there are in the game, at least on Wii U.

marmoka

Banned
At least these pictures will have a Low-HD resolution, instead of those 480p Smash pics at Miiverse. We will enjoy the scenery much more by far.

Beautiful first pic. Cannot wait for the next one. Hope they show a new pic every day.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Is that an actual screenshot though? The name says artwork and there are no jaggies and we have seen how many jaggies there are in the game, at least on Wii U.

Shit, good question. It does look better than most in-game screens, but artwork is usually a lot more distinct looking.

LordKano

Nintendo needs to do at some point an open world game where Zelda team designs the characters and Monolith Soft designs all the environments and fauna and flora.

That's a downsampled high-res in-engine screenshot.

ramparter

Banned
Shit, good question. It does look better than most in-game screens, but artwork is usually a lot more distinct looking.

It looks like a screenshot but rendered in higher resolution than what we will be actually getting and yes, this one looks great.

That ps2 flat texture in the ground don't help, but except that, that game looks good.

some textures have been lovingly crafted, others def not (yes, certainly a conceit required to get a game of this scale with all these layered systems running on Wii U tech). The hope is that we'll have enough grass with random floral spicing that is being effected by the natural elements and link's movement, swaying, to render on top of the lower res textures and hide the rougher edges. And also that said grass is loaded in to the game world with fairly decent draw distance.
This screen shows that these less flattering sections/textures wont always be well disguised, but it should not be taken as an indicator of color saturation seen throughout much of the game

Machina

Banned
People complaining about visuals need to come to terms with the fact that Nintendo is never, ever going to compete with Sony or MS on the graphical front. They have never cared and never will.

The gameplay will be so good you won't even care.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
People complaining about visuals need to come to terms with the fact that Nintendo is never, ever going to compete with Sony or MS on the graphical front. They have never cared and never will..

It's not about competing with Sony and MS. It's about having some consistency in the environment. Not having these kind of very poor textures in a game that otherwise is pretty great looking. You can blame the aliasing on the performance, but these kind of textures that seems to be out of Twilight Princess is just cutting corners.

13ruce

Banned
Seems like March is the release month. Doubt they gonna show screenshots for 6 Months straight lol, unless they want to spoil the whole world.

Kssio_Aug

I disagree about this looking out-dated. What I like about Nintendo is how their games art direction compensates for the weaker hardware. Imo this game is looking beautiful!!

ReyVGM

Its so frustrating how Nintendo always shows off awesome looking Zelda tech demos to tease people about "what could be" and then the actual game looks so disappointing. Its like they're intentionally trolling us.

What do mean they "always" show tech demos? They have only done Zelda tech demos 3 times, and out of those, Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess ended up looking miles better than the tech demo.

So 3 demos out of 15+ games, 2 of which looked worse than the actual game release is "always"?

LordKano

What do mean they "always" show tech demos? They have only done Zelda tech demos 3 times, and out of those, Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess ended up looking miles better than the tech demo.

So 3 demos out of 15+ games, 2 of which looked worse than the actual game release is "always"?

I would say that even Breath of the Wild looks way better than the TP-style tech demo we saw for Wii U.

The recent backlash against this game is interesting. At e3 everyone was all in and now it seems like it's quite hated.

I'm still in, can't wait to play it in 3 months time.

13ruce

Banned
The recent backlash against this game is interesting. At e3 everyone was all in and now it seems like it's quite hated.

Same here this is my dream game a huge open world Zelda game after Ganon wins.

Artstyle looks very cool imo and it depends on the time of day how it looks. Nintendo should show more daytime screens. The textures might be bad but i rather have that and a huge world to get lost in than Wii U tech demo and a small/medium sized world. The artstyle also masks it pretty well just like with wind waker, it's only noticeable in screenshots to me in gameplay videos i don't even notice it.

It's gonna be a blast don't worry people!

Easy_D

never left the stone age

I'm certain the backlashers are not the same people who praised it lol

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

You know that there is a large range of emotions between all in and hated, right? Do you know that criticising some aspect of something is not equal to hate? Do you know that one can enjoy a game even if one criticise some aspects of said game, right?

Top Bottom