• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tomb Raider Footage - Monastery Escape

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
There is mutliplayer, and it also looks like it has very little to do with the name "Tomb Raider."

To be fair, how many tombs can you raid? How many Tomb Raider games have we had now? Also, one level being on an island doesn't rule out tombs.

I'm just glad someone is attempting to reboot TR. GoL was alright on XBLA but aside from that I would not have bought another TR game in the same vein as the past 4.

I feel sorry for the guys there. They're just trying to survive from a psychopath murderer who goes around killing them like flies in brutal ways. Have they done something so terrible that it justifies killing them by the hundreds? :p

Eideka

Banned
The page on GameFAQs suggested it wasn't but you are of course correct.

Anyway looks good, I think I may buy it.

You might be happy to know that the PC version will be enhanced with high res textures and DX11 effects :
nsr1.jpg

kunonabi

I would have commended them for having instant deaths but having checkpoints everywhere defeats the purpose of even having them in the first place. I wanted to see Lara's development into a world class adventurer not cold-blooded killer. The whole thing is just a mess on all fronts.

man, this has the be the worst reception for reboot ever, its not even passionate, just a collective "meh".

It's best not to make bets on anything based on the reception of anything on a games forum.

Game looks really nice. I don't like the voice actress though. She looked great naked on Californication, but she's not much of an actress and the bits I've heard of her in these videos doesn't demonstrate that she's any better as a voice actress. Also not sure if I like the idea of case-sensitive auto-cover mechanics. Not writing the game off without first playing it. That'd be dumb.

UrbanRats

Looks like a solid game.

Not Tomb Raider,... but a solid game.
not metal gear solid

Yeah it looked more polished in the animations department.
Still has all the issues it had before in terms of game design, but whatever.

Luckily it comes on PC, so it being Square Enix, i'm sure i'll be able to get it for 5$ in a couple of years.

I would have commended them for having instant deaths but having checkpoints everywhere defeats the purpose of even having them in the first place. I wanted to see Lara's development into a world class adventurer not cold-blooded killer. The whole thing is just a mess on all fronts.

What bothers me is being such a cold-blooded killer while acting like a weak vulnerable victim.

To be fair, how many tombs can you raid? How many Tomb Raider games have we had now? Also, one level being on an island doesn't rule out tombs.

I'm just glad someone is attempting to reboot TR. GoL was alright on XBLA but aside from that I would not have bought another TR game in the same vein as the past 4.

It's a stupid complaint, yeah...but it is reflective of the game's bigger problem. There don't seem to be many tombs for sure but the overall tone of the game as well as Lara herself has very little in common with the Tomb Raider and Lara Croft we know.

. I wanted to see Lara's development into a world class adventurer not cold-blooded killer.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. It's a reboot of Tomb Raider that doesn't really seem like Tomb Raider at all anymore, I'm not seeing much of anything being re-imagined, it's just a wholesale recreation, a grimdark Uncharted that has lost its own identity. It really kills any interest in the game that I could have possibly had before being turned off by the heavily scripted kill-everyone gameplay.

I feel sorry for the guys there. They're just trying to survive from a psychopath murderer who goes around killing them like flies in brutal ways. Have they done something so terrible that it justifies killing them by the hundreds? :p

Somebody should photoshop Lara into that Penny Arcade comic showing Nathan Drake unceremoniously tossing a guy off a cliff while he was writing a letter to his wife and kids.

As for the game it looks like a moderately fun action game so far.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Looks very Uncharted-like. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I love me some Uncharted.

This game even has a monastery lol.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I hate the fact that Lara can't swim in this game.

I know people hate them but I really liked the underwater sections in previous games. It just won't be the same without some water level puzzle or submerged wreck to explore.

I was thinking that the facial animations would be a lot better with all the mo-cap they have been saying they did with the actors. The rest of it looks good. I don't know if I will pick it up day 1 though. I am still playing Dead Space 3, Metal Gear Rising next week and March will be God of War month for me.

Some of the sales on the PC version make it hard to pass up though...

Derrick01

Banned
I really don't know what this game is trying to do
other than everything that every other game tries to do
. But seriously one minute they're trying to say how super serious and emotional it is and the next you're doing something silly like blowing up a red barrel with a freakin arrow.

Colkate said:
Looked boring as hell and thoroughly disappointing. Run down corridor, blast guys, scripted "action" sequence, repeat.

Moderngaming.gif

Fitz

Looked boring as hell and thoroughly disappointing. Run down corridor, blast guys, scripted "action" sequence, repeat.

Krabboss

When I first opened the video, I was just thinking how pretty it looked. When she started shooting, I was just thinking how I have no interest in playing another game like this. Can game designers really not think of something more interesting than linear combat sequences split up by little cinematic pieces? Is this the limit of their creativity? This game looks SO INCREDIBLY LAZY on a gameplay level.

Top Bottom