• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tomb Raider screenshots

Kayhan

screenlg6.jpg

Gaming rape culture or is it not supposed to look like that?

Or is that an ally?

I'm not sure what to think about it, and don't think I will until I get my hands on it.
I certainly prefer the idea of killing less than the normal amount for an action game.
Gaming rape culture or is it not supposed to look like that?

Or is that an ally?
In the trailer he is certainly molesting/groping her. She attacks him and escapes.

onQ123

I thought this game would have been out by now it seem like it been about 3 years since it 1st showed up

charsace

Its ironic that Square showcased Crystal engine with very realistic and lifelike lightning, and in TR lightning is sooo much "videogamey".

Still, art design asked for that I guess. Cant wait to see E3 demo. During IGN trailer analysis, one guy mentioned that deer hunting demo was playable by press.

This isn't the Crystal engine.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
As a major fan of Uncharted, I don't care that TR has some familiar elements to it. From what we know of the gameplay mechanics, the game is nothing like Uncharted, which, as we've always known, has always been the case between the UC and TR series.

I love Tomb Raider. Have since the beginning.

I love Uncharted. Have since the beginning.

It's quite possible to love both, and to appreciate what both have brought to the "pulp" adventure genre. They're both doing what the Indiana Jones video games have failed to do: be fun and exciting action/adventure games.

I haven't seen the latest TR trailer, as it's so far off I don't see the point in torturing myself, and I'm also trying to stay in the dark as much as possible on this one.

From the info, and the screens, it's looking hot. I can't wait.

Bombadil

Banned
I bet the game looks terrible.

The trailer they used to show it off presented it in those typical MTV flashes (flash in flash out) while dramatic music played.

I'm not going to start a thread over it, but I hate it when games are presented that way. It's almost as if the developers are half-ashamed to show you what they've been working on. If it's to build hype, I'm not impressed. Just show me the world, the characters, the gameplay, and yeah, since you've been hyping it, the graphics. If you don't, maybe I should just pull out my wallet and flash you my money and put it away.

I know BF3 did it, and a lot of games that end up looking magnificent have been shown off to the public in that way, but I still don't like it. I don't like teaser trailers that show us a bit of footage so slim we can dismiss it for CGI, and then 6 months later they start showing a bit more here and there and hope we've been hyping ourselves for their product. Show us the fucking game when you've actually made a good chunk of it. Damn.

I would not mind at all if people called this game "Uncharted with a girl" because that's what it seems to become. I hope that's true, because this game looks just as good. I want it NOW!

New Lara is also so much more attractive than old Big-Boobs-Lara.

Guys, what are you talking about.

From these screens, it is clear that the new Tomb Raider will be a Metal Gear Solid 3 clone. Sneaking past guards and hunting deer to survive? MGS3.
Why I'm hyped for it tbh. And they've yet to unveil the healing/cure system for Lara's wounds. Yep. MGS3.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
How do real women with (large) breasts use a bow? (serious question)
They can either use smaller bows and/or not pull back as far (to the front of the face, not the back). Or use a different posture... arm slight out in front, lean in, and head down so the string clears their body. You can google for pictures and see the difference from how she is holding it there.

She looks like she is holding it differently in the other picture, it's a different situation, and may still be pulling back in that pic... or maybe she learns the hard way.

Trickster

So, so far I've seen people saying that this game looks like a copy of the Uncharted series. Metal Gear Solid 3, and Red dead redemption.

So, the game reminds people of some of the best games there is...and that's somehow a bad thing? I don't get it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Why is the same Joel-looking guy from the trailer attacking (can I say molesting? because that's what it looks like he's about to do) her in a different area?

Also: note the visual difference. But then again, the first is a screen taken from the trailer.

I didn't watch the trailer but the guy looks like Joel from The Last of Us from behind.

Darknight

Yeah they've been stealing from Uncharted since the 90s. Shameless bastards.

1:1 copy of a scene in u2 sans environment....I mean games can take an idea and make it there own. This game or from that screen?

007.jpg

Btw still interested like b4 but its like really?

DR2K

Banned
1:1 copy of a scene in u2 sans environment....I mean games can take an idea and make it there own. This game or from that screen?

Cool they copied a scene, that we assume is the same exact thing. Uncharted took way more from a plethora of Tomb Raider games.

Not quite understanding the backlash around this game. I think it looks fantastic.

1 - It's basically copying elements of other games and that causes a backlash which results in reviews that aren't "10/10!!" like the devs are hoping for.

2 - It's totally not TR anymore by the looks of it.

ironcreed

Banned
So Tomb Raider is an Uncharted clone now? LOL, OK. Lara was platforming and exploring ancient tombs and mysteries way before Nathan Drake ever came on to the scene. If anything, it was Tomb Raider that gave Naughty Dog some inspiration for Uncharted.

As far as this reboot goes, besides some scripted set pieces, it looks nothing like Uncharted. Last time I checked, Uncharted was not about survival in a harsh environment with limited resources. Which is what this game is going to be focusing on. But the platforming was being done by Lara first, so I have no problem with them trying to make it cinematic and up to date.

DR2K

Banned

007.jpg

As posted previously it's not even an original idea from Uncharted.

Uncharted has set the bar for high budget scripted gameplay sequences and this Tomb Raider obviously has a much bigger budget.

kylej

Banned

007.jpg

Characters trapped on some type of vehicle that is balanced precariously on a cliff's edge = Uncharted original idea? Uncharted fanboys are hilarious.

So Tomb Raider is an Uncharted clone now? LOL, OK. Lara was platforming and exploring ancient tombs and mysteries way before Nathan Drake ever came on to the scene. If anything, it was Tomb Raider that gave Naughty Dog some inspiration for Uncharted.

As far as this reboot goes, besides some scripted set pieces, it looks nothing like Uncharted. Last time I checked, Uncharted was not about survival in a harsh environment with limited resources. Which is what this game is going to be focusing on. But the platforming was being done by Lara first, so I have no problem with them trying to make it cinematic and up to date.

Nailed it.

Derrick01

Banned
It's a never ending cycle. That uncharted game looks like a tomb raider knockoff. This tomb raider looks like an uncharted knockoff. We've gone full circle in the span of 1 generation.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
did anyone not like the tomb raider trailer? felt like it revealed the majority of the games plot.

The only thing I didn't like was the lazy and clichéd use of sexual threat as a device to somehow show how Lara became tough and empowered. No need for it.

I don't see how it reveals the majority of the game's plot. I feel like everything in that is probably from the first hour of the game. First escape, first hunt, first encounter with the men, first kill. There's probably a lot more going on with that island, knowing the franchise.

Game companies know what they're doing when it comes to plot revelation in trailers. Sometimes people freak out about spoilers or whatever, but they're almost always wrong. Remember the Mass Effect 2 trailer thing where everyone (for some reason) thought they'd shown the end of the game?

Top Bottom