• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tomb Raider screenshots

jbttwin

It's a never ending cycle. That uncharted game looks like a tomb raider knockoff. This tomb raider looks like an uncharted knockoff. We've gone full circle in the span of 1 generation.

On top of that, the same argument will continue to happen.

Recon_NL

Banned
Same guy? :p

The Last of Us
the-last-of-us-graphics-immense.jpg

New Tomb Raider
screenlg6.jpg

Tomb Raider is both the spiritual successor to Uncharted 3, and the sequel to The Last of Us at the same time. Joel has turned on Ellie and you, as the player, must scrap and claw your way to victory in this visceral™, cinematic™, action packed™ adventure.

Tomb Raider®

March 2013

Tomb Raider is both the spiritual successor to Uncharted 3, and the sequel to The Last of Us at the same time. Joel has turned on Ellie and you, as the player, must scrap and claw your way to victory in this visceral™, cinematic™, action packed™ adventure.

Tomb Raider®

March 2013

If you press a button, something awesome happens.™

ironcreed

Banned

Tomb Raider®

March 2013

LOL

lucius

I am starting to turn around on the game to more positive, copying some elements from Uncharted is probably the right way to go, I bet it sells more than Uncharted also since it's multiplatform. Still that trailer looked like it was directed by a drunk McG, and these
new pics are clearly bullshots.

Characters trapped on some type of vehicle that is balanced precariously on a cliff's edge = Uncharted original idea? Uncharted fanboys are hilarious.

Nailed it.

No its not an original idea at all, but no game did it anything like that before Uncharted...that scene blew me away. I dont think anyone can deny they have taken some ques from the Uncharted series in terms of the cinematic approach...but there is nothing wrong with that...Uncharted obviously took ques from TR to begin with

If you press a button, something awesome happens.™

Pre-order now and you can get:

Gamestop: Classic Lara Outfit with Dual Pistols perk and bonus XP. Take it to those Russians with Laura's Classic Dual Pistols™ like never before.

Amazon: Classic Lara Snow Outfit™ and Hairstyle™. Take it to those Russians in stylish winter gear. $10 Credit will be emailed to you.

Best Buy: Classic Lara Swimsuit. Take it to those Russians half naked with bonus Frozen From Hotness perk. Those goshdarn Russians won't know what hit em.

Random European Game Store: Classic T-Rex™ outfit. Take it to those Russians wearing this HILARIOUS T-Rex helmet. They'll be scared (Euro equivalent of poop)-less.

TOMB RADIER®

MARCH 2013

Jarmel

Banned
No its not an original idea at all, but no game did it anything like that before Uncharted...that scene blew me away. I dont think anyone can deny they have taken some ques from the Uncharted series in terms of the cinematic approach...but there is nothing wrong with that...Uncharted obviously took ques from TR to begin with

The difference though is Uncharted took a lot of these concepts and upped all of it to another level. I see nothing where Tomb Raider is excelling past the Uncharted franchise. TR may have been first franchise-wise but now it looks for the most part like a poor man's Uncharted. We'll see how big and detailed those hubs are so I'm not completely writing it off.

szaromir

Banned
I prefer "cinematic platforming" to be done Assassin's Creed style (not talking about mechanics or controls) - ie. "traverse environments however you like and you'll get awarded with amazing vistas from time to time", not "traverse a very narrow path and everything falls apart the moment you touch it".

Jarmel

Banned
I prefer "cinematic platforming" to be done Assassin's Creed style (not talking about mechanics or controls) - ie. "traverse environments however you like and you'll get awarded with amazing vistas from time to time", not "traverse a very narrow path and everything falls apart the moment you touch it".

It got old as fuck in Uncharted 3 quickly.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
1:1 copy of a scene in u2 sans environment....I mean games can take an idea and make it there own. This game or from that screen?

007.jpg

You peasants make me sick.
Uncharted didnt invent hanging from a cliff/vehicle/thing.
Just cause Uncharted its the first time you have ever seen it doesnt mean Uncharted invented it.

P.S This game is coming along nicely, i hope the PC version isnt delayed like pretty much all the other big releases these days.

GQman2121

Banned
I think people need to curb their expectations. Outside of last years (imo) terrible cave demo, we know almost nothing of the gameplay or how stealth and hunting are going to factor into things.

Also, the Uncharted comparisons are warranted, but are getting pretty lazy. Until Lara is shown popping in and out of cover, I think people should chill with that shit, and wait till we learn more.

Kinyou

I think people need to curb their expectations. Outside of last years (imo) terrible cave demo, we know almost nothing of the gameplay or how stealth and hunting are going to factor into things.

Also, the Uncharted comparisons are warranted, but are getting pretty lazy. Until Lara is shown popping in and out of cover, I think people should chill with that shit, and wait till we learn more.
Well actually...

tomb5xpayl.gif

Though that might be some scripted event.

Xenon

The difference though is Uncharted took a lot of these concepts and upped all of it to another level. I see nothing where Tomb Raider is excelling past the Uncharted franchise. TR may have been first franchise-wise but now it looks for the most part like a poor man's Uncharted. We'll see how big and detailed those hubs are so I'm not completely writing it off.

Yeah but at least in Tomb Raider you have a chance of getting puzzles that are actually challenging.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

Cinematic scenes never existed before Uncharted, terrain traversal didn't exist before Uncharted. I can't remember if any of the Uncharted games had QTEs but I'm sure they thought about it first. Nathan Drake was going to have a beard, but that wasn't very Fillionesque so it got moved to the Last of Us guy. Ubisoft invented a time machine and stole that beard for Sam Fisher and then went back in time.

Remember those old PS1 RPG controllers that you could control the game with one hand so you could smoke, drink and fap? I expect I can play this game with that, if it was compatible. Even going into cover and shooting brown rapists is all QTE.

It's 2012. I doubt any puzzle in this game is going to be challenging.

In 2012 devs are scared any puzzle past grade school level will make some douchebag reviewer give it a lower score and kids will slate the game as too hard.

I remember the old TR games I actually had to stop playing and come back another day and work this shit out.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
In 2012 devs are scared any puzzle past grade school level will make some douchebag reviewer give it a lower score and kids will slate the game as too hard.

I remember the old TR games I actually had to stop playing and come back another day and work this shit out.

What in any of the original Tomb Raiders were hard enough that you had to take a day to figure out?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Fanboys from both series will manage to say that Indy has somehow ripped one or the other off.
Didn't someone make a thread trying to claim the Tintin movie copied stuff from Uncharted?

Anyways, this is looking great. I want to see some more of the open environments though.

Xenon

They could at least make extra items harder to find. Maybe they could even offer an alternate ending to players who solve less obvious puzzles.

I'd also like to point out that Uncharted's hidden treasures is one of the lamest collection components in any game.

KageMaru

You peasants make me sick.
Uncharted didnt invent hanging from a cliff/vehicle/thing.
Just cause Uncharted its the first time you have ever seen it doesnt mean Uncharted invented it.

This. First they are copying the hanging scene and now someone says they are copying LoU because the guy has a beard. Some people really need to branch out.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I don't personally know any women archers, but looking online it doesn't seem like it is really a problem. The whole Amazons cutting off a breast was a myth, apparently. Assuming Lara is new to archery, she probably has bad form which would be realistic.

I wouldn't believe everything you read on there, sure contemporary stuff that can be solidified through a bit of research, but no way in hell is straightdope going to replace several P.h.Ds and university historians/archeologists with 2 P.h.Ds. The parts I agree with, consist of the Ancient Greeks being finicky with their testimonials, and that the Amazons might originate from Scythia. But any outsiders at the time were considered rowdy, like the Amazons.

The bow does not bend on Lara's breast, as you can see, she's position at an angle so that it does not touch the lower left quadrant of her chest.

I entirely agree, game reviewers are part of the scourges of modernity, there is just too many, and giving the power to just about anyone will get you a basket filled with too much relativity.
I remember the good old days of N64, gamespy, gamenow, something something Ziff Davis Media, gamespot. Those were the places I could look to for good descriptions, and a solid basis for game mechanics.

Now it's more like, ''I'm a casual gamer, can I get a job as a critic?'', and thus mister apple store infiltrates the rank of subjectivity with his poisonous spiel of nonsensical babble, and developers eat it up like honeycomb cereal. And critic isn't the right word for the job, as it gets people into the mind-frame of criticizing.

iPhone Gamer: 'I'm a gamer!'
Person with head screwed on neatly: ''No you're not, fuck-off!''

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
This board has really become a huge pool of negativity towards everything and anything. It is actually depressing.

I can only imagine a non gamer looking in to see what our culture is like and being like "What the Fuck. They all sound absolutely miserable."

"Uncharted is just dude raider"

"Tomb Raider is just a female nathan drake"

"Looks terrible"

"Haha Vita bomba/doomed!"

"Crytek's games are tech demos"

"WiiU is a failure"

"UE4 looks like an xbox launch game"

"insert thousand negative comments here."

I mean really. All these great games and all we do is bitch.

On topic, Tomb Raider looks awesome, it will be the first Tomb Raider game I have ever bought/played. Can't wait for this and the ton of other amazing games coming out soon. Not enough time in the day.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Clearly Crystal Dynamics aims to steal the success of The Uncharted by taking the ideas from The Uncharted.Terrible, indeed.

UrbanRats

People are too quick to judge, here:

*puts hand on shoulder*
Him: "Hey, are you ok Lara? You seem tired"
Her: "Uh, you tell me Joel, i had backpains all weekend"
--

*whispering*

Him: "Alright listen, i snatched one of these pain killers, from the doctor's stash"
Her: "Thanks, hopefully he won't notice one missing!"

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Kinda seems a bit similar looking. Also, lens flares on a 3rd person camera perspective? Bad enough in an FPS.

Actually it makes a lot more sense from a 3rd person perspective, because you are viewing your character from a camera.

It makes less sense in first person because you are viewing from your characters eyes.

KingJ2002

This game is really impressing me... especially when you consider the leap between TR: U and this (necessary) reboot.

even more impressive when you look at the the leap in the beginning of the gen with TR: Legend

to this new reboot

this is really amazing.

ironcreed

Banned
I dunno, but it really pisses me off. Everyone is so fucking jaded.

People have been so spoiled and infused with a sense of entitlement that nothing is ever good enough anymore. It always boils down to such a nit-picking, pixel counting, texture analyzing moan-fest. Beyond that, god forbid if it has a few elements that are similar to other games. As it will automatically be branded a clone, and that is a label that cannot be shrugged off lightly.

All games have some flaws here and there and even elements that are similar to other games. But at the end of the day, games are just supposed to be fun. If a game succeeds at that, is not broken, has an appealing theme and some neat ideas going for it, then I am down. It does not have to be 100% original or reinvent the wheel in everything it does either. But maybe I am just not that hard to please. *shrugs*

UrbanRats

Oh god, we are having a fanfic about that screenshot.
/wants more

:D

Her: "Found the keys yet?"
Them: "We're looking, but it's dark, Jesus Christ"
---

Him: "Ah! We caught you, you thief!"
Her: "So you were the little rat stealing our food supplies, but you're nothing but a kid!"
other girl: "I'm sorry, i was hungry"

*They then free her and eat together around the bonfire*
---

*voice screams from outscreen*

Jigo: "Kill him Lara! The Emperor wants his head!"

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Companies can and will copy each other if it helps them make a better game. News at 11. Also and I might be wrong on this, but doesn't Uncharted borrow a lot of things from Indiana Jones? Is Uncharted unoriginal now? Come on guys, just be reasonable.

Top Bottom