• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tomb Raider screenshots

patapuf

Companies can and will copy each other if it helps them make a better game. News at 11. Also and I might be wrong on this, but doesn't Uncharted borrow a lot of things from Indiana Jones? Is Uncharted unoriginal now? Come on guys, just be reasonable.

it would be one thing if people complained about copying mechanics, but arguing who had the adventurer-thing going on first is really silly

btw: the screenshot fanfics are great¨.

UrbanRats

The screens are all from the trailer moments, so there's not much else to say, tbh.
I've expressed my disappointment well enough, but after the intial "shock" i'm trying to calm down and think about the initial GI infos (along with the new ones) about open exploration, survival and all that good stuff.
The thing is, i loved Uncharted 2, but that formula REALLY got old on me, soon after that, so much so, that even Uncharted 3 was kind of a chore to finish.
It's a trick that doesn't work many times, like a magician's routine, you see it more than once and it starts to fall apart, revealing the world behind the curtain.
This is not even mentioning what TR should or shouldn't be in the first place, in my opinion, of course.
So the more they show this scripted linear stuff, the more there is of it in the game and, the more there is, the less i'm happy about it.
I seriously hope that, in the end, this kind of gameplay won't take up like 50% of the game length.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
The bow does not bend on Lara's breast, as you can see, she's position at an angle so that it does not touch the lower left quadrant of her chest.'
You can see the string at the arrow and where it connects to the bow at the lower limb. The angles are definitely different, so its bending somewhere. Regardless, her stance is very Hollywood-esque... looks cool, but isn't very functional.

This board has really become a huge pool of negativity towards everything and anything. It is actually depressing.
I've noticed that too lately. I almost stopped coming here because of it. The E3 photoshop and gif threads have been a big help, they're more cartoonish than outright dickish.

Dany

Banned
I honestly cant tell how many people are joking about how this game 'rips' other games off or if they are completely serious.

Roo

sammy_l1.gif

I literally lol'd irl

Majmun

Looks stunning, just like the trailer. This and RE6 are my most wanted games.

I just hope the platforming will be hard. Not here for automated platforming. This might be a reboot but I still want the classic TR gameplay to be present in the game.

And I'm a huge Uncharted fan, but I'd be disappointed if this game would end up being like that...

UrbanRats

Well, tbh, the platforming (although far better than Uncharted's) was piss easy in the CrysD Tomb Raiders.
Especially if you kept autograpple on.

Looks cool to me. Certainly a better direction than I'd ever thought I'd see this franchise go in. Hope there's (genuine) exploration. Don't know if I would maintain my armpit hair if I were in her situation though.

EDIT: If it's like Uncharted 2, and they do it right, that's great. We only have one Uncharted 2, I could stand to play a few more and that's not even really my scene. They key is actually doing it well. Doesn't mean these guys are able to do that, but it's possible. Also kind of odd to say that a franchise is ripping off another franchise that itself ripped off the franchise that is being accused of doing the off-ripping.

bhlaab

Uncharted didn't have the constant looming threat of violent sexual assault permeating through every moment so there's that.

I wonder if they'll ever make a gritty Uncharted reboot where Nathan Drake is a meek young 20 year old until a series of attempted rapes turns him into an empowered male.

Toppot

Never been a fan of Tomb Raider, but this looks interesting.

And yes ok it does look a bit like Uncharted, just like Uncharted looks like Tomb Raider. Uncharted raised the bar for this type of game and now Tomb Raider is trying to go higher, oh course there are similarities. As others have said it does sound to be more of a survival game than a cinematic experience.

Uncharted never felt like a Tomb Raider knock off at all. It was clearly an action series from the start. Lara Croft doesn't have a monopoly on treasure-hunter characters.

Besides they both tapped the vein from Indy.

But the last Tomb Raider trailer really does feel like an Uncharted ripoff. And I don't want another damn "cinematic" set-piece heavy action series when we can get a platformer/survival-horror instead.

Hopefully the trailer isn't too indicative of the game though. Wait and see.

Alxjn

Came to post that. Shameless

Almost as shamless as that one James Bond scene Uncharted ripped off. Or is it homage in this case?

Seriously though, Uncharted did not invent characters being trapped in a vehicle that is balanced off the end of something. One example being this scene from Breakdown, with Kurt Russell, from 1997.

imSyB.jpg

Things borrow from each other all the time.

The thing is, i loved Uncharted 2, but that formula REALLY got old on me, soon after that, so much so, that even Uncharted 3 was kind of a chore to finish.
It's a trick that doesn't work many times, like a magician's routine, you see it more than once and it starts to fall apart, revealing the world behind the curtain.

That about sums it up for me. The spectacle wore off by the time I started playing Uncharted 3.

2 will always be one of the best games this gen but I think the formula has already overstayed it's welcome for me.

Shoot the hostage, Lara! I'm glad they're deconstructing Lara and showing us how/why she became a badass Tomb Raider instead of just saying "Heres Lara Croft. She can do a lot of crazy shit. Enjoy."

ArjanN

Seriously though, Uncharted did not invent characters being trapped in a vehicle that is balanced off the end of something. One example being this scene from Breakdown, with Kurt Russell, from 1997.

imSyB.jpg

Things borrow from each other all the time.

Funny considering Breakdown is a remake of a remake of a movie, and even that original movie was a book adaptation. :p

Top Bottom