• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Twilight Princess HD footage (of amiibo use)

Found my new wallpaper

CZNN00-WYAAMBz7.jpg:orig

Any bigger versions of this?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I think you're misunderstanding what I am saying.

They can put this in there and I can choose to use it or not. That's fine by me.

But doesn't Nintendo care that they're basically saying "Yeah this game was made with careful consideration to the damage done and how many potions you can carry etc. to give players a challenge that when they overcome will give them a great amount of satisfaction. But give us $15 for this toy and you can just keep giving yourself health."

Like what's next? Tap the amiibo and have AI control your character for you.

Seems disrespectful to the act of game design and the reason people play games in the first place. That's all I meant.

Ignoring the amiibo aspect, isn't this exactly what Nintendo's Super Guide functionality was? This whole "let's give you ways to make the game easier" approach has been floating around Nintendo for a few years now. What was once AI (Super Guide) then became powerful in-game abilities (white/gold Tanooki Suit) and now seems to exist in the form of amiibo. To me, it appears Nintendo is still following the same philosophy but making it more and more optional/external.

btrboyev

They can put this in there and I can choose to use it or not. That's fine by me.

But doesn't Nintendo care that they're basically saying "Yeah this game was made with careful consideration to the damage done and how many potions you can carry etc. to give players a challenge that when they overcome will give them a great amount of satisfaction. But give us $15 for this toy and you can just keep giving yourself health."

Seems disrespectful to the act of game design and the reason people play games in the first place. That's all I meant.

You can only use the Amiibos once per game session or day...you can't just endlessly replenish your health.

I mean if you care for all that cool.. I dont why you people choose to get stressed out and offended over some silly trinkets you dont even have to use. It's almost like yall are creating an issue to get mad about. CHILL for the one time.

Zekes!

it is still really shitty in my opinion.

None of these features are going to make people run out and buy amiibos they don't already have.

If you happen to have a Zelda or Link amiibo and you wanna give yourself a little boost, it's a tiny bonus.

Not really a major thing

Myriadis

Even with a 4x damage multiplier I don't know if it really make a real dent in difficulty. The problem is that enemies in this game really take their time to make their attack so it's way too easy to avoid this.

Atrarock

Nah. Pretty much the same.

AND THERE'S NO WAY THAT'S ONLY 2X DAMAGE FROM THE GANON AMIIBO.
King Bulblin normally only does about.....3 hearts.

edit : ninja'd

Why the HELL would this guy do more damage than the FINAL BOSS!?
Because Nintendo.

Fuck, I love this game's art style so much. Easily the best Zelda style.
If we're speaking strictly of artwork. The new lighting is definitely making things a bit more vibrant at least.

RagnarokX

I have a feeling that the Wolf Link Amiibo will give you a giant wolf to mount in Zelda U.

My thoughts are that it will unlock a wolf mask.

Back when Majora's Mask 3D was released Nintendo had the Happy Mask Salesman conduct an interview on Miiverse. At the end of the interview he said:

My, my... I've certainly been appearing all over the place these past few days! If this keeps going, maybe it wouldn't be a stretch to expect me to pop up in a new Zelda game, too...? Ho, ho, ho... I've got some new masks, too, if you'd like to try them on... If I do make an appearance, I'm sure everyone will experience such happiness! Believe in your strengths... Believe... Ho, ho, ho...
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...teased_for_a_reappearance_in_a_new_zelda_game

Part of the reason that Zelda U was delayed was that the team wanted to add stuff they thought of while working on Majora 3D. A great way to use amiibo for a Zelda game would be to have them unlock masks.

The extra damage is great in theory, as long as they changed the enemies to actually be able to hit you. Everyone wants this to be super hard but they're forgetting the enemies in TP rarely even touch you.

Back when Majora's Mask 3D was released Nintendo had the Happy Mask Salesman conduct an interview on Miiverse. At the end of the interview he said:

My, my... I've certainly been appearing all over the place these past few days! If this keeps going, maybe it wouldn't be a stretch to expect me to pop up in a new Zelda game, too...? Ho, ho, ho... I've got some new masks, too, if you'd like to try them on... If I do make an appearance, I'm sure everyone will experience such happiness! Believe in your strengths... Believe... Ho, ho, ho...
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...teased_for_a_reappearance_in_a_new_zelda_game

Part of the reason that Zelda U was delayed was that the team wanted to add stuff they thought of while working on Majora 3D. A great way to use amiibo for a Zelda game would be to have them unlock masks.

I'd particularly enjoy it if we got a Mario Maker-like mask system, where you can either buy a mask or unlock it with an amiibo.

I'd totally play the game entirely with a Chibi-Robo hood, or a Yarn Yoshi cap.

Anth0ny

Oh my god if they bring back masks I'll lose my shit

Aonuma pls

takriel

This isn't Dark Souls or Miyazaki, unfortunately. Zelda could learn a lot in terms of enemy encounters from these games.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Let's pretend the ganon amiibo doesnt exist acting exactly in the opposite way?

SalvaPot

The game design is there, intact, for you to enjoy. But a game is made for the player to enjoy as they see fit. The amiibo functionality is there for he players who struggle with the game or just want to skip farming for arrows and go back to the good stuff. Its not a statement, is an option. Like choosing easy mode instead of normal on other action games.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I like how now we have practically a killer bundle of complains that both amiibo are too expensive for what content they offer and that some content is locked behind amiibo.

Back to the footage, I think the game looks good (maybe it's placebo but for me it seems that it looks better than in November) and I just ordered a Gannondorf amiibo for that ultimate challenge.

I like especially how good the characters and enemies look.

I like how now we have practically a killer bundle of complains that both amiibo are too expensive for what content they offer and that some content is locked behind amiibo.

Back to the footage, I think the game looks good (maybe it's placebo but for me it seems that it looks better than in November) and I just ordered a Gannondorf amiibo for that ultimate challenge.

I like especially how good the characters and enemies look.

In a world where people buy limited special edition "1 out of 100000" rare Batman standalone statue for over a hundred €/$, Nintendo gives out a remaster of a game which still holds up for 40€/$ plus 15 €/$ that actually do something inside the game, plus like 10 other games on the same system...

samn

I don't understand why people are fine with difficulty levels being locked behind $15 DLC. This is absolutely bizarre to me.

JoeM86

I don't understand why people are fine with difficulty levels being locked behind $15 DLC. This is absolutely bizarre to me.

Because it's not. According to the same leak that revealed what Wolf Link amiibo did, there's a separate Hero Mode.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In a world where people buy limited special edition "1 out of 100000" rare Batman standalone statue for over a hundred €/$, Nintendo gives out a remaster of a game which still holds up for 40€/$ plus 15 €/$ that actually do something inside the game, plus like 10 other games on the same system...

I think in the overall picture it doesn't matter if something is more expensive or cheaper, if there is more content or less content. All that matters is if that specific thing holds any value for you personally. If it does, you buy it. If it doesn't you ignore it.

The overall picture of the industry is that EA makes more money from additional content and monetization than from actual games and that Nintendo makes a lot of money from amiibo and two year ago they were in the shit because people wouldn't buy enough games. Now they are better because of amiibo and DLCs. That's the reality and this is how it will continue.

As I wrote in the other thread once you buy a DLC/pre-order exclusive/FUT pack/amiibo that's a stronger statement than any outrage you pour in a forum comment. Or 1000 forum comments. Not matter how ethical you think that purchase is. In the overall picture the ethical part doesn't matter. Just the raw numbers.

Because people have or like amiibo. It's not difficult to understand.

oti

Banned
Nothing substantial or interesting enough to buy any amiibo then, as is the norm. I've pre-ordered the amiibo edition on amazon though since TP was my first Zelda and it'll probably sell out after launch.

Nothing substantial or interesting enough to buy any amiibo then, as is the norm. I've pre-ordered the amiibo edition on amazon though since TP was my first Zelda and it'll probably sell out after launch.

Amazon dot de? Any idea why it's €16.99 when the same product is €14.99 on .fr and .it?

Hermii

Change too much and people complain like Wind Waker HD. Don't change enough and people complain it looks the same.

I don't think Zelda fans even know what they want these days. Where's that Zelda/Miyamoto JPEG?

Personally speaking, I think it looks like a faithful remaster. The Twilight Princess artstyle was never as striking as the Wind Waker to begin with.

Anyway, it's been almost 10 years since I played Twilight Princess from begining to end. Looking forward to it.

There is always a vocal minority, but I think the majority liked how WWHD looked.

I think most of the criticism came before the graphics were finalised, based on early screenshots and Nintendo Direct footage.

RagnarokX

I'd particularly enjoy it if we got a Mario Maker-like mask system, where you can either buy a mask or unlock it with an amiibo.

I'd totally play the game entirely with a Chibi-Robo hood, or a Yarn Yoshi cap.

I can imagine there being masks for every amiibo. Majora had a Mario mask, you just couldn't get it.

Imagine stuff like:
Mario mask: increase jump height distance.
Bowser mask: increase number of/power of bombs.
Zelda mask: more/more powerful arrows or increase hearts.

Sonic Mask is the new bunny hood :p

Shaanyboi

Banned
Totally disagree, outside the intro TP has the best pacing. finish a dungeon and you are thrust into another overworld quest basically right away. Nearly Every mini game is part of the main quest, it hurts the side quests but it means the main quest is extremely varied and always has something to do. That leads right to the next dungeon, there is almost no down time.

I've always felt the opposite. Wind Waker feels like its missing stuff and sometimes grinds to a halt.

Twilight Princess may have had a long intro but it had a solid structure flowing from one sequence to the next and a lot more cinematic events before the time between dungeons got shorter.
Twilight Princess felt to me like Nintendo starting to chase the extended hour counts. I remember them touting "Oh yeah, TP is going to totally take 100 hours to beat." But rather than presenting a world populated with interesting things to do, they shoved a lot of meandering sidequest content into the main quest. The overlong Light Seed quests which force you to explore an area that you ultimately have to reexplore as a human anyway, arbitrary fetch quests for (supposedly) key characters you don't care about, pointless tangents that kinda don't add anything to your arsenal or skillset which also don't stand out on their own...

Wind Waker obviously had those two dungeons which were cut and replaced with the terrible Triforce Quest (which thankfully was shortened in the HD version), but you also could kinda just tackle the Triforce Quest at your convenience in the latter half. It just says "Hey, here are some spots you may need to check out while you're doing these final two dungeons." When TP demands you to collect shit, it wants you to do it all right then and there or you aren't making any progress. You have to collect these light seeds now. You have to go to all these owl statues now. You have to collect this random item which you yourself can make no use of, all for the sake of padding out the main story now. And you aren't rewarded with cool new shit, and rarely can you say "well atleast that was a creative and fun section."

When OOT blocks you off and forces you to get something, it rewards you atleast with an important skill, a mini dungeon which you're playing Zelda games for anyway, or to introduce you to another element of the game which you can engage with at your own will.

The only times OOT gates your progress in the plot by asking the player to turn around and get something else first are as follows...

-Can't access the first dungeon because you need a sword and shield, obviously
-Can't access the second dungeon without getting Saria's Song. This however is the game's player-activated hint system, and thus atleast has a function.
-Can't enter the third dungeon without getting the Zora Scale (which has a gameplay purpose) and the bottle from the lake (also has a gameplay purpose).
-Can't access the Forest Temple without the hookshot.
-Can't access the Water Temple without entering the Ice Cavern first, which rewards you with Iron Boots.
-Can't easily access the Shadow Temple without Din's Fire (which the game early-on nudges you towards finding), but more importantly, the Lens of Truth.

But you see, you are ultimately only gated in OOT by abilities, and these abilities have repeated use in the game. Many of which are easily obtainable just by stepping off the obvious path and exploring on your own, and not because a cutscene has now triggered your ability to move forward.

Why in TP though are you forced to go to this village of cats? Or why does it literally gate your exploration with... like... actual gates? When you step out into Hyrule Field, the game forces you to go in a certain direction. And once that's over, it forces you again to go where it wants. And then again, but also cuts off your route to go back which further limits your ability to explore. It's not that the game doesn't have LBW's openness of dungeon order etc. But it's that the world is only as open as it wants it to be and refuses to let you explore past its rigid perimeters. And when it tasks you with non-dungeon related quests, you aren't rewarded with interesting new gameplay opportunities beyond acouple scripted action scenes. It's instead to collect another non-usable item for a character I have no interest in.

Even tonally, TP is just... kinda bland. It's neither charming enough to come off as atleast sorta endearing like Skyward Sword, but it's also rarely anywhere near dark enough to make its melancholy tone resonate beyond one trippy cutscene which amounts to nothing. Instead it all just feels super dry. Whereas MM did the somber tone thing extremely well.

It takes forever to get going and the last two dungeons are kind of rubbish but overall I found Twilight Princess to be a stronger game than Wind Waker.

Pacing in all 3D Zelda games could use some work. Hopefully Zelda Wii U/NX learns from A Link Between Worlds with the "Do whatever, go where ever and don't waste time explaining stuff" mentality.
TP is atleast more difficult than WW, but it also fails to capitalize on its best ideas in any meaningful way. You can talk to animals in that game. You can talk to fucking Epona! And what does that amount to? "Please return to human form Link." There's a secret group of heroes who are also bent on fighting against Ganondorf... and what do they do? Tell you to get a red fish, to look at some statues with a useless item, and then they show up near the end with an extremely anti-climactic cutscene. The spinner's ability to latch onto certain walls... Imagine if you suddenly looked at regular fences in a completely different way throughout the game map! But... there's only like two spots to use it outside of the dungeons. The Dominion Rod - useless. GIANT IMPOSING BOSSES who go down like punks. Bosses outside of the dungeons and instead out in the world... and there are like two.

But yeah... here's hoping the next game is more involved and engaging.

Because it's not. According to the same leak that revealed what Wolf Link amiibo did, there's a separate Hero Mode.

What? No, this is a difficulty level locked behind amiibo. How can you possibly think otherwise?

You aren't limited to two modes in games. It means this Zelda has 3 settings but you can't have the third without buying an extra lump of plastic.

Top Bottom