• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Twilight Princess HD footage (of amiibo use)

Minor optional functionality?

I just feel like its a taste of things to come and the functionality is going to get more and more ingrained in their titles. I am fine with them being this massive success for Nintendo(I have no idea why they are but thats neither here or there) but I just want to play the game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This amiibo crap is really starting to annoy me. I get the feeling Nintendo is going to be pushing this kind of functionality in a big way with NX. I am out if they do.

I'm going to wait on the Ganondorf details (since we don't really know much about Hero mode yet), but the rest hardly do anything you can't already do. Arrows are so easy to get I doubt you'll ever run out and as for needing to recover health in TP... lol.

tci

This amiibo crap is really starting to annoy me. I get the feeling Nintendo is going to be pushing this kind of functionality in a big way with NX. I am out if they do.
I am kind of on the same boat. As a disappointed Wii U user I am in the fence about buying any more Nintendo consoles. If this amiibo crap gets worse, it will be even easier to leave the fence.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I just feel like its a taste of things to come and the functionality is going to get more and more ingrained in their titles. I am fine with them being this massive success for Nintendo(I have no idea why they are but thats neither here or there) but I just want to play the game.

You can

EDIT: Seems like the TP Amiibo is coming with every copy of the game too.

maxcriden

First western info about the bonus dungeon via PR Nibel linked to in his thread:

When the physical version of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD launches on March 4 at a suggested retail price of $59.99, it will include a beautiful Wolf Link amiibo figure based on the same character from the classic game. Purchasing The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD and Wolf Link amiibo bundle will currently be the only way to get this amiibo figure. When tapped to the Wii U GamePad controller, this legendary lupine opens the Cave of Shadows, a challenging new bonus dungeon in the game. After completing the Cave of Shadows, players can save their remaining hearts to the Wolf Link amiibo, and then use those hearts inside the Cave of Shadows to replenish life energy. After conquering the cave, players can save a record of their remaining hearts to the Wolf Link amiibo and attempt to beat their score at any time.

Chase17

First western info about the bonus dungeon via PR Nibel linked to in his thread:
So the only way to get wolf link is trough the bundle then. Hopefully it becomes more available for those who missed out on it so far. GameStop still has it but I know that's not optimal for many.

sonto340

Really, I can't be the only one as a kid who played melee and wanted the trophies.
Considering the smash series is just that, it's been no surprise to me how popular amiibo have been.
So the only way to get wolf link is trough the bundle then. Hopefully it becomes more available for those who missed out on it so far. GameStop still has it but I know that's not optimal for many.
The word "currently" is used so I imagine it'll be like green yarn yoshi or chibi robo

Ridley327

So the only way to get wolf link is trough the bundle then. Hopefully it becomes more available for those who missed out on it so far.
Outside of the Animal Crossing game, every game that's had an Amiibo has had a solo release later. They even did it for Chibi-Robo, and no one gives a shit about him

I am kind of on the same boat. As a disappointed Wii U user I am in the fence about buying any more Nintendo consoles. If this amiibo crap gets worse, it will be even easier to leave the fence.

Sorry but amiibo' are entirely optional, you don't even have to use them. The game still functions the same without them... You're only loosing out on heart refills lol and a cave of ordeals for wolf link instead of human

a4mpMNW.gif

BY2K

Membero Americo
Yeah there's definitely texture filtering in that game.

Youtube just destroys everything it touches.

Deku Tree

Looks like cave of shadows is just a savage labyrinth twilight princess edition. One drab environment. Increasing Enemy waves. Horde mode.

Graphics look really poor. They could have done a lot more. I don't like the idea of paying $60 for this...

georly

TP has abysmal pacing mostly because the tasks you are asked to do between dungeons are tedious and poorly implemented.

Snip

Yeah, this is all stuff that all sounds GREAT on paper but didn't actually execute well in game. It's stuff you'd read in a story and be fine with, but it just slows the game down to an abysmal crawl. It's why TP is the only zelda game I've only beaten once. I'm looking forward to playing it again, but it was just so so so full of filler.

tci

Sorry but amiibo' are entirely optional, you don't even have to use them. The game still functions the same without them... You're only loosing out on heart refills lol and a cave of ordeals for wolf link instead of human
Oh, you think this will stop at that? The point is they will use amiibo's for everything if people are stupid enough to buy/use them. It is just DLC's hidden behind figurines.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Oh, you think this will stop at that? The point is they will use amiibo's for everything if people are stupid enough to buy/use them. It is just DLC's hidden behind figurines.

Well you're getting an Amiibo if you're buying this game. Every physical copy is apparently coming with Wolf Link.

Diffense

Please wait until that happens to complain about it. Otherwise everytime the word amiibo appears in a thread we'll have people complaining about their own nightmares instead of current reality.

sonto340

Digital buyers get fucked
Yeah they're missing out on such a large piece of content. I'd be distraught over not having a fucking Wave Based enemy dungeon in a Zelda game. Because people come to Zelda for the combat. Especially the wolf combat in twilight princess.

Nevermind that the amiibo will be sold separately further down the line.

I don't understand this. The initial question was if the issue in the screenshot is because of YouTube compression or severe lack of texture filtering.

It's both. There is texture filtering, but not enough to fully deal with the large flat, angled surfaces in the game. You'd need at least 8x AF to get close. I don't know of any Wii U game with that good AF, there's hardly any PS4 games with it either. Which is why I wished they'd added more foliage to cover it up, like the Xenoblade games, and Zelda U do.

Keep in mind that this game used to be 480p, and you can get away with bilinear, trilinear texture filtering at that resolution.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's both. There is texture filtering, but not enough to fully deal with the large flat, angled surfaces in the game. You'd need at least 8x AF to get close. I don't know of any Wii U game with that good AF, there's hardly any PS4 games with it either. Which is why I wished they'd added more foliage to cover it up, like the Xenoblade games, and Zelda U do.

Keep in mind that this game used to be 480p, and you can get away with bilinear, trilinear texture filtering at that resolution.

I understand your point, but that's not "severe lack of texture filtering". At least for what you would expect from a Wii U game.

I just really wish that all this extra amiibo functionality was constrained to one or two games, like all that skylander and Lego toy game nonsense. The fact that amiibo stuff is now apparently creeping into every Nintendo game is kind of disconcerting.

Like other posters have said, if that's gonna be a push with NX, that makes the platform much less appealing.

Ultimadrago

That Amiibo usage. Good thing I have no interest in playing that slog ever again.

I'm curious what the Wolf amiibo will do for Zelda Wii U though. (Probably something equally shallow)

I understand your point, but that's not "severe lack of texture filtering". At least for what you would expect from a Wii U game.

No, it's not "severe" at all, but it isn't perfect. To be honest, I don't remember the original question containing the word "severe", I just remembered the "lack of" part... I suppose that's where the confusion arose.

BY2K

Membero Americo
No, it's not "severe" at all, but it isn't perfect. To be honest, I don't remember the original question containing the word "severe", I just remembered the "lack of" part... I suppose that's where the confusion arose.

I can't even tell. the Youtube compression is destroying everything at that much distance.

TP has abysmal pacing mostly because the tasks you are asked to do between dungeons are tedious and poorly implemented.

Barring everything leading to the first dungeon, which is the worst of any Zelda game...

Getting to Goron Mines:
  • You cross Hyrule Field and find and enter the twilight of Eldin Province.
  • Bridge is out! Midna gives warp tutorial to find and fix missing bridge.
  • Did you forget how to use wolf abilities the last time you were a wolf less than an hour ago? Midna's got your back!
  • The second completely unchallenging connect the dots quest to find bugs takes you around Kakariko Village up to the entrance of Goron Mines.
  • After clearing the twilight, you try to climb the mountain you already climbed but Gorons block your path. You are told to backtrack to Ordon Village.
  • But first you gotta tame Epona.
  • Return to Ordon for sumo wrestling minigame.
  • Return to Kakariko village.
  • Chase King Bulbin around Hyrule Field.
  • Jousting match.
  • Climb mountain you already climbed only this time stopping every few minutes to dodge Gorons.
  • Sumo again.
I mean, for the first time I guess I can see how this can be kinda annoying. But if you know what you are doing all of this takes less than 30 minutes. Not too bad to get between dungeons on a replay.

If you ignore the worst offending NPC designs, sure. Many people in Ordon look gross compared to the 64 designs.
Thankfully they are barely in the game.

I mean, for the first time I guess I can see how this can be kinda annoying. But if you know what you are doing all of this takes less than 30 minutes. Not too bad to get between dungeons on a replay.

Thankfully they are barely in the game.

it's actually worse when replaying, you know what awful shit is to come and it can be discouraging
On first playthrough things may sound exciting, but then you realize it's just boring padding

Clov

Aw, the Amiibo is exclusive to the bundle after all? Hopefully it will be sold by itself later. I want the Amiibo, but not enough to buy Twilight Princess again.

I was hoping the game would implement better shadows along with the textures. Ah well, it still looks great, and the new features also sounds excellent.

XGoldenboyX

Amiibo = unnecessary whats so ever for gaming, its simply there for extra cash and things to add and buy from the company's . Its as if today game mechanics need to be supported from more crap outside to make it work. It's ridiculous if you ask me.

It's cool sure but please not for everything.

Kjellson

If there's two changes I'd like to see it's a way to change between day and night, and to see in which areas you have gotten every Poe.

It's a miracle that I managed to get all of those bastards in my first play through, lol.

Am I crazy for thinking that I rather buy this & use the game pad and not my Wii copy?

Nah, not really. It's going to be the best version of the game regardless of what they could have also improved on, but didn't.

It's always been a hard decision for me to pick between the GC and Wii version because there's aspects of both that I really like. Hopefully, this is going to have the best of both versions and more.

Top Bottom