• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Twilight Princess HD footage (of amiibo use)

TheMoon

Twilight Princess is an Eiji Aonuma game.

He's been the main Zelda series director since Majora's Mask.
Apparently the only game he didn't direct was Skyward Sword (he was Producer on that).

No. This is completely wrong.

Aonuma is the series producer. He has not directed a Zelda game since taking over Twilight Princess mid-development.

That's because the "directional swings" only exist as a series of combos that are identically animated and executed each time they're input (and there are only three directions: horizontal swing, vertical swing, and stab), just like every other 3D Zelda game that isn't Skyward Sword.

Not to mention that they make almost no difference on the play experience since the best move in all scenarios is the stab anyway.

Skyward Sword had directional input because there were nine possible directional sword inputs, every swing was individually animated and executed regardless of sequence, and all of them mattered.
Your two answers had been quite strange. It seems like you are reading and constructing a different idea of what is expressed. Let me explain in more detail:

Since Ocarina of Time you had the following control over your sword (When Z targeting):

- Left + Sword Key = Swing from right to left.

- Right + Sword Key = Swing from left to right.

- Neutral + Sword Key = Vertical swing.

- Forward + Sword Key = Front Stab.

All im suggesting if they were to implemet remote support (not happening) to map those swings to the corresponding motion of the Remote. Swinging the remote and not having the matching animations felt disjointed and took a bit from the inmersion.

It something rather simple to implement and wouldn't need any kind of rebalance. Don't understand what the issue is...

TP is the result of a director who lost control of the project and thus Aonuma and Miyamoto had to swoop in a cobble together a game that at least flows. That's why stuff we saw in the early trailers cannot be found anywhere. That's why TP feels like a game of lost ambition, e.g. the resistance group being little more than signposts for the later dungeons.

This is the first time I've heard about the game having a change in directors. Do you remember where it was mentioned?

jblank83

No. This is completely wrong.

Aonuma is the series producer. He has not directed a Zelda game since taking over Twilight Princess mid-development.

Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and director credits for Twilight Princess are Aonuma, whether he took over TP halfway through or not. On Skyward Sword he was producer.

Zelda U's director seems to be Fujibayashi again (director of Skyward Sword), with Aonuma as producer. I was unsure who was directing Zelda U, but signs point to Fujibayashi.

So I wouldn't say it's completely wrong.

RagnarokX

Can you hear it? In the distance. No, listen closely. It's not more than a whisper. There it is again. Listen once more.

Can you hear it?

"Master, the batteries in your Wii Remote are nearly depleted.

Fi actually interrupts you less than Midna does, so I doubt that director had anything to do with Fi's interruptions.

Toparaman

Banned
Can you hear it? In the distance. No, listen closely. It's not more than a whisper. There it is again. Listen once more.

Can you hear it?

I really like Skyward Sword, but it has some incomprehensible design decisions that only make sense if the game was targeted towards 5 year olds.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
giphy.gif

RagnarokX

I really like Skyward Sword, but it has some incomprehensible design decisions that only make sense if the game was targeted towards 5 year olds.

I don't really get the battery or low heart complaints. Fi doesn't automatically pop out if your batteries are low and you're going to have to change the batteries. Fi also doesn't pop out when your hearts get low and her chime is considerably less annoying than the low health beeping sound in past Zelda games.

That Fi interrupts less than Midna, yet it gives the impression that is the other way around is proof enough how badly handled and implemented the character was in Skyward Sword.

Fi, the coolest companion character in concept in any Zelda game, ended up becoming the most annoying one. XD

RagnarokX

The low heart chime doesn't take control away from the player. Fi does. That's the problem.

Neither does Fi. Just because her icon lights up doesn't mean you have to talk to her. Just go grab some hearts and it goes away.

That Fi interrupts less than Midna, yet it gives the impression that is the other way around is proof enough how badly handled and implemented the character was in Skyward Sword.

Fi, the coolest companion character in concept in any Zelda game, ended up becoming the most annoying one. XD
I dunno. By the time SS rolled around I had forgotten how handholdy Midna was. Going back and looking at TP for the sake of comparison she's a decent contributor to why the first few hours/half of TP are so bad. A lot of the things Fi gets flak for are things Midna does worse. Like Fi gets shit because she can potentially spoil a puzzle element in a dungeon, but Midna flat out spoils a similar thing without even giving you a chance. Midna has a more interesting personality and character, though.

Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and director credits for Twilight Princess are Aonuma, whether he took over TP halfway through or not. On Skyward Sword he was producer.

Zelda U's director seems to be Fujibayashi again (director of Skyward Sword), with Aonuma as producer. I was unsure who was directing Zelda U, but signs point to Fujibayashi.

So I wouldn't say it's completely wrong.

No, you have no proof! Don't destroy my hope of a perfect Zelda game.

It's proof that the internet's hyperbole machine sometimes spirals out of control and flaws get exaggerated to the point of self-parody .

The hate for Skyward Sword and Sticker Star are poster childs for that.

It's proof that the internet's hyperbole machine sometimes spirals out of control and flaws get exaggerated to the point of self-parody .

The hate for Skyward Sword and Sticker Star are poster childs for that.
This is true, it's an unpleasant internet custom the necessity to take everything to the extreme.

With that said, Skyward Sword has some pacing and game flow issues and Fi is a factor in that. That other 3D Zeldas have similar issues (maybe less or maybe more) doesn't change the fact that the character had questionable implementations.

And we shouldn't forget why Skyward also gets some extra attention in the "hate" department:

Motion Controls.

Which i think for the most part are the best aspect of the game, even when we consider it's potential wasn't fully exploited.

But when you throw motion inputs into the question, you will get irate opinions even from people who hasn't bothered to play the game.

Since Ocarina of Time you had the following control over your sword (When Z targeting):

- Left + Sword Key = Swing from right to left.

- Right + Sword Key = Swing from left to right.

- Neutral + Sword Key = Vertical swing.

- Forward + Sword Key = Front Stab.

All im suggesting if they were to implemet remote support (not happening) to map those swings to the corresponding motion of the Remote. Swinging the remote and not having the matching animations felt disjointed and took a bit from the inmersion.

It something rather simple to implement and wouldn't need any kind of rebalance. Don't understand what the issue is...

Why wouldn't it?

Without changing the way attack animations work so that swings match the direction the player is swinging the remote 1:1, players would need to have perfect swing timing for "the direction they're swinging the remote" to be matched by the animations present in the game's default sword combo system for any swing after the first one in a combo.

And since combos are pretty integral to the game's combat, I don't know how you'd achieve meaningful "my remote swings match what my character is doing on screen" symmetry without changing the way sword attacks work in this game.

Jay RaR

Can you hear it?

I feel half of the problem with Fi is that you can't quickly mash the text. I have no idea why they took that out in SS since it was in TP.

The sound alerts though can be quite annoying and hopefully they won't make it really obnoxious this time around.

rex

Neither does Fi. Just because her icon lights up doesn't mean you have to talk to her. Just go grab some hearts and it goes away.

I dunno. By the time SS rolled around I had forgotten how handholdy Midna was. Going back and looking at TP for the sake of comparison she's a decent contributor to why the first few hours/half of TP are so bad. A lot of the things Fi gets flak for are things Midna does worse. Like Fi gets shit because she can potentially spoil a puzzle element in a dungeon, but Midna flat out spoils a similar thing without even giving you a chance. Midna has a more interesting personality and character, though.

To the extent that puzzle's ruined, it's not Midna's fault. It's Eiji Anouma's, who stops the gameplay before Midna pops up for a quick cut scene introducing it.

If you look at the first dungeon of TP for example, Midna doesn't interrupt the gameplay. Not a single time. Every time Midna pops up, gameplay has already been stopped, usually to show a similar cutscene to clue the player in to something in the environment.

So this could be one of the reasons no one hates on Midna. Because she doesn't actually do any of the things you're suggesting.

As for Fi, my sense is that going through and really looking at what she's doing will show that she is, in fact, more annoying than Midna, with interruptions actually stopping gameplay and dialogue that is completely useless. And near the beginning of the second dungeon you can find such an example. Gameplay is arrested solely by Fi just so she can deliver useless info in the most awful type of dialogue. It's terrible.

Whether that's the norm I can't say. Revisiting the vast tracts of mediocrity that is Skyward Sword's game world is not something I see myself doing.

Also, at the very least, Midna is actually a good character and it's a lot of fun to read her dialogue. The same can't be said for Fi, unfortunately.

co1onel

Twilight Princess is an Eiji Aonuma game.

He's been the main Zelda series director since Majora's Mask.
Apparently the only game he didn't direct was Skyward Sword (he was Producer on that).

Are we not counting handheld zeldas? Aonuma has produced every handheld zelda since phantom hourglass.

Why wouldn't it?

Without changing the way attack animations work so that swings match the direction the player is swinging the remote 1:1, players would need to have perfect swing timing for "the direction they're swinging the remote" to be matched by the animations present in the game's default sword combo system for any swing after the first one in a combo.

And since combos are pretty integral to the game's combat, I don't know how you'd achieve meaningful "my remote swings match what my character is doing on screen" symmetry without changing the way sword attacks work in this game.
First the highlighted, which is a really curious thing to say.

If you have been reading the thread, you' ll notice that the general opinion in regards to TP combat is how trivial it is. So it seems at odds with the reality of the game that you are claiming that sword combos are "integral". Even you share the general opinion regarding how simpistic the combat is in this post:

Not to mention that they make almost no difference on the play experience since the best move in all scenarios is the stab anyway.

i don't know how much integral you think the combos are? Going on, when the player gets experienced with how combat works, the spin attack gets spammed a lot. Also there are cases where an item trivializes everything, for example the Chain Ball for the Redeads a and Stalords.

But let's set all of the above aside because in the end is too much unnecessary banter when you have a real practical proof that it would work withouth the supposedly hughe amount of retooling you suggest. You know what that proof is?

You can play the Wii version exactly as im suggesting and it works the same XD

Is possible to sort of role play making the general motions you would consider that correspond to the in game actions and animations. The thing is, that since it is known it isn't making any difference the player just doesn't bother. That's why it's inmersion braking.

i think i was clear enough yet again. Hopefully this answer will satisfy you XD

TheJoRu

Cool, so director of the best Zelda is doing this one too, nice.

I'm not sure why everyone's assuming he's the director. The only thing I've heard is his quote on the Skyward Sword Iwata Asks where he says about the next game...

Fujibayashi said:
I'll think of something that can happen in three years!

...before they decide to make a gigantic open-world game that also happens to be their first original HD-production. Oops.

TheMoon

I'm not sure why everyone's assuming he's the director. The only thing I've heard is his quote on the Skyward Sword Iwata Asks where he says about the next game...

Yea we simply don't know who the director is. Of course it is likely that it is him but it might just as well be someone entirely different.

Anything that gives and excuse to rant is fair game, though, I guess.

RagnarokX

To the extent that puzzle's ruined, it's not Midna's fault. It's Eiji Anouma's, who stops the gameplay before Midna pops up for a quick cut scene introducing it.

If you look at the first dungeon of TP for example, Midna doesn't interrupt the gameplay. Not a single time. Every time Midna pops up, gameplay has already been stopped, usually to show a similar cutscene to clue the player in to something in the environment.

So this could be one of the reasons no one hates on Midna. Because she doesn't actually do any of the things you're suggesting.

As for Fi, my sense is that going through and really looking at what she's doing will show that she is, in fact, more annoying than Midna, with interruptions actually stopping gameplay and dialogue that is completely useless. And near the beginning of the second dungeon you can find such an example. Gameplay is arrested solely by Fi just so she can deliver useless info in the most awful type of dialogue. It's terrible.

Whether that's the norm I can't say. Revisiting the vast tracts of mediocrity that is Skyward Sword's game world is not something I see myself doing.

Also, at the very least, Midna is actually a good character and it's a lot of fun to read her dialogue. The same can't be said for Fi, unfortunately.
The reason people complain about that issue with Fi isn't that she interrupts you but that she spoils something. The way Fi handles it is better because she gives you a chance to figure it out. With Midna you definitely will be spoiled, with Fi you might not.

This isn't the first time this discussion has come up, and for past discussions I've compiled a list of every single required interaction with Midna and Fi for the first 3 areas of each game. Separate instances are considered to be separated by the player having control.

Twilight Princess

Hyrule Castle/Ordon/Faron
  1. Midna introduces herself.
  2. After escaping, Midna tells you she will help you but you have to do exactly as she says and tells you how to ask her for help.
  3. When you encounter a spirit, Midna tells you how to use your senses to see it.
  4. Midna tells you that the attack controls are the same as when you were human.
  5. Midna leaves to the other side of a gate and tells you to figure out how to reach her.
  6. When you rejoin Midna, she reminds you to use your senses.
  7. Midna tells you she can guide you to jump up the broken staircase.
  8. Midna tells you if you can reach a window you might figure out where you are.
  9. Midna comments on the twilight and asks if you still don't know where you are. She tells you there is someone she wants you to meet in the tower ahead.
  10. Midna points out another spirit. Reminds you to use your senses.
  11. Midna reminds you that Link's friends got kidnapped and she will help him find them if he becomes her servant. She teleports him back to Ordan Spring and points out that he's stuck as a wolf.
  12. When you leave the spring, Midna reveals she is still with you. She tells you you need her to enter the twilight again so you have no choice but to obey her. She tells you to find a sword and a shield.
  13. After listening to the mayor talk about the shield, Midna shows you the window you need to reach and asks you to look for a place to jump from.
  14. When you find a place to jump up to a roof, Midna tells you to scare the guy attacking you with a hawk.
  15. Midna tells you you found the shield.
  16. When you get the shield Midna reminds you that a sword is next.
  17. Once you get the sword Midna tells you to return to the twilight.
  18. Midna tells you that Faron Woods is covered in twilight and asks if you still want to enter even though you might not be able to come back.
  19. Midna says she will hold on to your sword and shield for you. She says she needs you to collect some things but won't tell you what yet. She says she hears the light spirit's cries ahead.
  20. You are attacked by shadow beasts again and Midna talks about it and then leaves you to fight by yourself.
  21. When you fail, Midna tells you how to do her charge attack.
  22. Once you collect all of the tears Midna leaves as Faron appears. Midna pops up after and repeats what Faron just told you. She adds that your friends might be in the temple.
  23. When you reach the woods a monkey steals your lantern. Midna tells you to follow it.

Forest Temple
  1. Midna tells you to follow the monkeys.
  2. Midna tells you to keep following the monkeys.
  3. Midna tells you to keep following the monkeys again.
  4. Do you think you should follow the monkeys? Midna thinks so.
  5. Midna gets the first fused shadow.

Eldin Province
  1. Midna repeats what the Light Spirit just told you.
  2. Midna stops you before you reach the twilight and tells you that if you go in you might not be able to leave for a while.
  3. Midna asks if you want to enter the twilight. After going through Midna hops on Link's back and comments about the twilight.
  4. Midna points out that a bridge is missing and shows you how to use portals to warp and move objects.
  5. Midna pops out once you warp and tells you to look for the bridge.
  6. Once you warp the bridge Midna comments on how amazing the power is and tells you to remember to use it in the future.
  7. You come to a locked gate and Midna comments on it for no good reason and points out the obvious dig spot you can use to dig under it.
  8. When you set the bomb storage building on fire Midna pops out to tell you she is running away without you.
  9. After the building explodes Midna comments on what happened.
  10. When you head towards Death Mountain Midna tells you she can get you up the path.
  11. Midna leaves before Eldin appears.
  12. Midna compliments you on taming Epona and tells you that using her will make traveling faster.
  13. Midna comments on the giant rock that falls from Death Mountain.

Goron Mines
  1. Midna gets the second fused shadow.

Lanayru Province
  1. When you approach the twilight Midna tells you about it.
  2. You enter the twilight-covered Lanayru Province and Midna reminds you she has to help you, reminds you what you are looking for, and hints that there might be a plot twist coming soon.
  3. Midna points out that Hyrule Castle is the castle you were at earlier and tells you the game will get harder.
  4. Midna tells you the bridge smells funny, tells you you are trapped when the bridge is on fire.
  5. Midna remarks on how small Lake Hylia is when you jump into it and reminds you you are looking for the spirit's spring.
  6. Midna takes control of a bird monster and tells you you can use it to reach Upper Zora's River.
  7. Midna tells you that bird sure was useful and reminds you to look for the village of the Zoras. Hints that it's getting cold.
  8. Midna points out that the Zora village that is frozen is in fact frozen.
  9. Midna tells you you need to warp and find a way to melt the ice.
  10. Midna tells you the Zoras are now safe and that you should leave.
  11. After being told that you will be given the ability to swim by Queen Rutela if you help her, Midna reminds you that she just told you that she will grant you the ability to swim if you help her.
  12. Midna tells you that the water current is extra fast due to the melted ice and will take you straight to Lake Hylia.
  13. Midna tells you you are right in front of the spirit's spring.
  14. Midna points out that the last tear of light has shown up on the map and it's different from the rest.
  15. Midna reminds you to get the fused shadow as Lanayru appears.
  16. Upon leaving Lake Hylia, Midna reminds you that you need to help Queen Rutela find her son because the fused shadow is at the bottom of Lake Hylia.
  17. After getting the Zora Armor, Midna reminds you that the last fused shadow is at the bottom of Lake Hylia.

Lakebed Temple
  1. As soon as you enter a room Midna interrupts you to spoil a puzzle.
  2. Midna collects the third fused shadow.
Total Midna interactions = 61

Skyward Sword
Skyloft/Faron Woods
  1. Fi tells the situation and asks Link to pick up the sword and raise it skyward.
  2. You are told about the surface. Fi gives you your first tablet and tells you to skyward strike the crest and put the tablet in the receptacle.
  3. You are told a path has opened to the surface.
  4. Fi recommends getting a shield and some potions before heading out. She also tells you you can now get rid of the ugly HUD.
  5. When you are over Faron Woods Fi shows you how to use the sky map and tells you you can reach the surface via the pillar.
  6. Fi introduces you to the Sealed Grounds.
  7. Fi tells you that you can use the newly activated air vents with your sail cloth. She also tells you you can use dowsing and asks if you want an explanation or not. You can say no. She will then add Zelda to your dowsing menu.
  8. When you reach Faron Woods, Fi introduces the area and recommends you keep dowsing.
  9. When you save your first Kikwi, Fi tells you what it is and that the dowsing ability seems to be targeting it for some reason.
  10. Once you catch the Kikwi, Fi marks it on your map and recommends you dowse to find the Kikwi elder.
  11. The elder asks you to find 3 Kikwis. Fi updates your dowsing ability and asks if she needs to tell you how to change dowsing targets. (This one is skipable if you find the 3 Kikwis before you talk to the elder)
  12. You find a Kikwi stuck in a tree. Fi tells you you can look at the controls menu if you need help coming up with ideas about how to get it down.
  13. After rescuing the Kikwi, Fi marks it on your map.
  14. After finding the 2nd Kikwi, Fi marks it on your map.
  15. After you find the 3rd Kikwi, Fi tells you that's the last one and that you should return to the elder.
  16. When you knock down the vine leading to the next area, Fi appears and tells you can equip items you already have selected by tapping B, and that if you experience problems aiming you should press down on the d-pad to recalibrate. This is probably the most important thing she says in the whole game.
  17. Fi introduces the Deep Woods.
  18. Fi tells you the dungeon will be dangerous and reminds you you can return to the sky if you need supplies.

Skyview Temple
  1. Fi tells you how to control the beetle and switch items.
  2. Cutscene where you get the stone tablet and Fi reads an ancient message revealing Zelda's quest. Imediately following the cutscene Fi tells you to return to Skyloft to insert the stone tablet.

Skyloft/Eldin Volcano
  1. Once you place the stone tablet Fi tells you that a new area has openned up and you should go there.
  2. Once you land in Eldin Volcano, Fi introduces the area and warns you that wooden shields can catch on fire.
  3. Once you reach the summit and find out about the missing key shards, Fi updates your dowsing target so you can search for them.

Earth Temple
  1. When you encounter your first lizalfos Fi appears and tells you that you can talk to her while z-targeting enemies to learn info about them.
  2. When you reach the boss chamber Fi notices chains on the ground and suggests that Zelda was chained up here but escaped.
  3. Cutscene for the stone tablet. Return to Skyloft.

Skyloft/Lanayru Desert
  1. Once you place the stone tablet Fi tells you a new area has openned.
  2. You land in Lanayru Mines and Fi tells you Zelda was here. You can dowse if you get lost.
  3. Once you reach Lanayru Desert, Fi pops up again to tell you that quicksand is dangerous and you might want to check your map to see what kind of terrain is what.
  4. Fi pops up to tell you that timeshift stones create a time bubble in the past.
  5. After the robot changes your map to the past map, Fi tells you the terrain on this map is different from the terrain in the present.
  6. Upon stepping on a safe path hidden below the quicksand, Fi pops up to tell you you can place beacons on submerged walkways in the quicksand by checking your map and upgrades your beacons so you can place more.
  7. Upon finding out you need to activate 3 generators, Fi tells you you can dowse for the generators you need to find.
  8. Once you find all 3 she tells you to return to the dial. If you fail to figure out the puzzle in your first try she gives you a hint.

Lanayru Mining Facillity
  1. Fi points out the boss door, which depending on when you encounter it it may be obscured by barbed wire.
  2. After shit goes down Fi assesses the situation and tells you to go to the Sealed Grounds.
Total Fi interactions = 36

Notice how Fi backs off a ton after the first area while Midna keeps going full throttle. They both do the same things; Midna just does it more frequently at nearly double the rate of Fi. One thing I left off is that sometimes Midna will say something before letting you do a z-target wolf jump like "I think we can jump over here."

GAF's reaction to Skyward Sword never ceases to amaze me.

It's easily the best Zelda game as far as I'm concerned, and among my top games of the entirety of last generation. TP doesn't even come close.

Still pumped to play it again though. And just one day after my birthday!

mrmickfran

Skyward Sword had multiple directors based on each location.
Is that the case? Then whoever was in charge of Lanaryu should be in charge of future Zelda titles. That part was the highlight of the game, every other area just felt off.

teeny

GAF's reaction to Skyward Sword never ceases to amaze me.

It's easily the best Zelda game as far as I'm concerned, and among my top games of the entirety of last generation. TP doesn't even come close.

Still pumped to play it again though. And just one day after my birthday!

This is what I love about the Zelda series, each one offers something unique. The games are so diverse that everyone has their favourite and their own ideas for what a Zelda game should consist of.

Personally, I have not enjoyed any of Fujibayashi's Zelda games as much as any of the other entries. Besides the dungeons and characters, Skyward Sword was very disappointing for me given the length of time it had in development. Hopefully the next game can iterate and improve on that core to provide what I personally find important in Zelda games.

Anyway, really looking forward to TP HD, it's been a long time since I played through the Wii version and I'm ready to dive back in to my favourite Zelda game ;)

mrmickfran

You can read about them here. Fujibayashi was still in charge as a whole, but each area (heck, with the desert, each of the three sub areas) had someone dedicated to just that part.
So basically, each segment of Skyward Sword was supervised by someone different and when all is said and done, they put the whole game together.

It's no wonder the game was great at times, and a slog at other times.

Top Bottom