• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Uncharted Drake Fortune PS3 Game Scans

Madman

SolidSnakex said:
I'm not suggesting its the only one. I'd say Uncharted, Ratchet, Heavenly Sword, Assassins, and LBP all animate like you'd expect an next gen game to. But that's it.

Agreed. Hopefully, other developers will follow the lead of titles like that.

VonGak

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I'm not suggesting its the only one. I'd say Uncharted, Ratchet, Heavenly Sword, Assassins, and LBP all animate like you'd expect an next gen game to. But that's it.
MGS4 is supposed to.

Too bad that Kojima showed unfinished gameplay but on the other side we got to see that the character models' limbs move independently. :D

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
plagiarize said:
looks awesome as ever...

but guys... i can't believe you're all freaking out about the sidekick.

so only women you find visually attractive are allowed in a game?

i'm glad you guys aren't running things.

zoe from grindhouse was HOT

I agree. A bunch of sexist guys we have here.

VonGak said:
MGS4 is supposed to.

Too bad that Kojima showed unfinished gameplay but on the other side we got to see that the character models' limbs move independently. :D

Kojima hasn't let us down with animation before so i'm not really worried about it. When we see it again it'll probably look like he'd described when it was first announced.

And add White Knight Story to the animation list, I don't know how I forgot about that.

2dki915.gif

Also that Star wars multiplatform game. That physics engine is pretty incredible

SolidSnakex said:
And add White Knight Story to the animation list, I don't know how I forgot about that.

http://i10.tinypic.com/2dki915.gif[/img]

I think that trailer was totally mocapped. I mean the game was 3% done

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's funny that the only game with "next-gen" animation available to public right now is an 80Kb big home made game called Sumotori Dreams.

Play it, I promise you you will LOVE it! None of the animation is keyframed, it's all AI / physics based, just like that euphoria system, and it's funny as hell at that. After the round is done, make sure to wait a bit for characters to stand up and bow to each other. It's easily the funniest 80K I've ever downloaded!

There's a hidden part also, which is even better than the main game, to get to it, you have to hit and break the 2nd barricade from the right, on the main selection screen.

Was this game posted on GAF before? Maybe I should make a thread?

kezd.jpg

Pretty cool game!! I think that new Deff Jam game has next gen animation but too bad the game is slow...

btw the link that was already posted

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Doom_Bringer said:
Pretty cool game!! I think that new Deff Jam game has next gen animation but too bad the game is slow...
Yeah, new DefJam and NBA Street have some impressive animations, but they are doing pretty much same things as the older games, just with more stored animation frames. Just the same as what's GoW2 doing. Having mentioned that, Fat Medusa animations in GoW2 were simply amazing, movement blending and all. I was awed by that particular boss.

Marconelly said:
Fat Medusa animations in GoW2 were simply amazing, movement blending and all. I was awed by that particular boss.

yeah that was pretty cool! That game has pretty kick ass graphics and animation. My favorite boss was the invisible guy and the last boss was also great. I mean the rain effects in that stage were insane (not mgs2 level but still great)!!!

But the fight in the swimming pool with that invisible dude was very pretty, very memorable as well

Marconelly said:
Having mentioned that, Fat Medusa animations in GoW2 were simply amazing, movement blending and all. I was awed by that particular boss.

I don't think any next gen game so far animates better than the 2 GoW's, ICO or SoTC. Which is disappointed but it looks like that'ls changing with some upcoming games.

Yoboman

VonGak said:
MGS4 is supposed to.

Eh? MGS4 had pretty poor animation last time I checked.

SolidSnakex said:
When we see it again it'll probably look like he'd described when it was first announced.

How'd he describe it again?

Yoboman said:
How'd he describe it again?

That their goal with Snake is not to make him look realistic but to make him move as realistically as possible. And that their focus graphically was on the animation side of things moreso than anything else.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Last time you checked was Fall 06. Who knows what they are doing now. There were some incredible animations present in that demonstration...but also plenty of MGS3 animation mixed in. I agree that it was pretty disappointing. Here's hoping they were not intending on leaving things as we saw them.

Yoboman said:

oh don't be silly! Did you check the animation on the small Metal Gear? Or how about the giant two legged Metal gear? They animated just like the old trailers. The rest of the animations were place holder.

I doubt MGS4 will match Uncharted's animation but it should be pretty damn good

Yoboman

Doom_Bringer said:
oh don't be silly! Did you check the animation on the small Metal Gear? Or how about the giant two legged Metal gear? They animated just like the old trailers. The rest of the animations were place holder.

I doubt MGS4 will match Uncharted's animation but it should be pretty damn good
I hope so. Some of it was good, and the Metal Gear's did animate well. But some of it was abysmally poor. Fingers crossed that that stuff was placeholder.

The ideal end result would be that it all animates like that Metal Gear vs. Terrorist battle in real time. I want to sit and watch a battle scene play out like that, AI vs. AI with awesome animations.

Yoboman said:
I hope so. Some of it was good, and the Metal Gear's did animate well. But some of it was abysmally poor. Fingers crossed that that stuff was placeholder.

The ideal end result would be that it all animates like that Metal Gear vs. Terrorist battle in real time. I want to sit and watch a battle scene play out like that, AI vs. AI with awesome animations.

I don't think Kojima wanted to show that trailer. I blame the marketing guys! Anyway we have to wait and see what happens. I am hoping they improve the animations but then again the previous two MGS games had terrible animations compared to Hitman and Splinter Cell games on last gen consoles

Yoboman

Doom_Bringer said:
I don't think Kojima wanted to show that trailer. I blame the marketing guys! Anyway we have to wait and see what happens. I am hoping they improve the animations but then again the previous two MGS games had terrible animations compared to Hitman and Splinter Cell games on last gen consoles
MGS2 had amazing animation, especially for its time. And both games still do stuff now that no other game does. MGS3 seemed more limited in this area, I think for the same reasons they stuck with the overhead camera.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Doom_Bringer said:
What?!

I thought MGS2 and 3 both featured great animation for their time (MGS2 especially). Hitman was terrible in that regard (have you WATCHED 47's feet move?!) and featured way over the top ragdoll. Blood Money was a huge step forward, but the other two were animated poorly. Splinter Cell was a mixed bag with some nice animation on Sam, but often poor animation on enemies.

Yoboman said:
MGS2 had amazing animation, especially for its time. And both games still do stuff now that no other game does. MGS3 seemed more limited in this area, I think for the same reasons they stuck with the overhead camera.

Speaking of which, it was sweet that when MGS2 came out they meticulously have Snake/Raiden take every step up and down a staircase. I know it's a little thing, but with Metal Gear it's the devil in the details that make everything so polish, it's amazing how most if not all games just gloss over it and sort of slide a characters walking animations over the stairs.

Doom_Bringer said:

Like how you tried to wright off Ratchet and Clank as a PS2 hd game last night? :p
CurlySaysX said:
The main character doesn't look menacing enough.
Naughty dog should give him an eye patch, a scar and a mullet.

43ovcdl.jpg
Snake!

pswii60 said:
Well, she looks different to the norm for videogame females. And I think they've tried to make her look a tad rough-and-ready, as she's exploring the jungles after all. I think I'll reserve judgement until we've seen her in motion ;)

Why, because she's not a fat McDonalds-obsessive?

Oh sh... I just dropped to his level. And besides, our Brit women are getting fatter by the day
It's official Tomonobu Itagaki has turned gamers into pervs!

Seriously though whoever said that girl looks like a twelve year old boy is insane:lol

She is a little tomboyish or rough around the edges. S he is exploring a jungle you know... Someone put it perfect when they compared here to Steve Irwins(RIP) wife.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, as much as I thought animations in the MGS4 gameplay trailer were mixed bag, I replayed early parts of MGS3 just a few days ago, and I can't say that the animation really stuck out badly in any way, even after playing all kinds of next gen games. I think even if they don't improve it significantly in MGS4, it probably won't matter much in the end.

Yoboman

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Speaking of which, it was sweet that when MGS2 came out they meticulously have Snake/Raiden take every step up and down a staircase. I know it's a little thing, but with Metal Gear it's the devil in the details that make everything so polish, it's amazing how most if not all games just gloss over it and sort of slide a characters walking animations over the stairs.
Indeed. I was replaying MGS2 today in fact. I still find joy in front flipping Raiden into a case of stairs :lol I only wish it had the same affect against walls.

I love how you can do stuff like shoot specific limbs in MGS. You'll see a soldier limping if you shoot him in the leg and he wakes up later. Or when you hold them up in the first place and shoot them in the hand and they'll only have one arm in the air.:) The details in Kojima games indeed.
gladtomeetya.gif

bud said:
lol

the scans are a mix of new and old and also very old btw.
Yeah I know they're old
Marconelly said:
It's funny that the only game with "next-gen" animation available to public right now is an 80Kb big home made game called Sumotori Dreams.

Play it, I promise you you will LOVE it! None of the animation is keyframed, it's all AI / physics based, just like that euphoria system, and it's funny as hell at that. After the round is done, make sure to wait a bit for characters to stand up and bow to each other. It's easily the funniest 80K I've ever downloaded!

There's a hidden part also, which is even better than the main game, to get to it, you have to hit and break the 2nd barricade from the right, on the main selection screen.

Was this game posted on GAF before? Maybe I should make a thread?

http://web.t-online.hu/archee83/sumotori/kezd.jpg
Any one make it to the hidden stage? :D
It lets you throw those blocks at the sumo wrestlers.

Yoboman said:

Alot of them had to be placeholder, while you could tell that Snakes new moves were newly animated and looked fantastic. Look at him during the beginning when she's sneaking in the ally way before standing up and running, there's also the scene with him sliding across the wall while facing it, his warm crawl, his back crawl against the Gekkou ect

2d7325fbf8.gif

4f7b113f4d.gif

Yoboman

SolidSnakex said:
Alot of them had to be placeholder, while you could tell that Snakes new moves were newly animated and looked fantastic. Look at him during the beginning when she's sneaking in the ally way before standing up and running, there's also the scene with him sliding across the wall while facing it, his warm crawl, his back crawl against the Gekkou ect

2d7325fbf8.gif

4f7b113f4d.gif
I guess. I question which parts of it were actually from gameplay and what was ingame. The thing I liked least were the walking animations and the falling/death animations. I also disliked that the environment seemed far less interactive. Kojima had me believing you'd be able to destroy almost everything, basically level a house if you wanted. Yet just after that nade scene in your gif, with there being no effect on anything in the environment, I realised that probably won't happen as promised :(

Yoboman said:
I guess. I question which parts of it were actually from gameplay and what was ingame. The thing I liked least were the walking animations and the falling/death animations. I also disliked that the environment seemed far less interactive. Kojima had me believing you'd be able to destroy almost everything, basically level a house if you wanted. Yet just after that nade scene in your gif, with there being no effect on anything in the environment, I realised that probably won't happen as promised :(

dude it was a ****ing alpha build. Give me Kojima Productions a break

That trailer was entirely in game except for the last bit with the bird shitting on your face.

Also, nobody knows how interactive the environments will be, that is totally unknown

Yoboman said:
1: Kojima said that he won't be making everything destructible because of both technical limitations as well as design choice.

2: I would be far more pissed if a frag grenade had an effect on concrete shields. Frags are the one thing that almost every game completely ****s up in representation.

Busty

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
I think that trailer was totally mocapped. I mean the game was 3% done

Yes and no. I don't think it's stretch to say that WKS will animiate like that as Sony seem to be emphasising realistic movement and animation as a corner stone of their first and second party development.

Level 5 like numerous other studios working with Sony
dipolmatic...no?
have their own green screen(?)/mo-cap studios and they have said that such a thing will feature heavily in their future games (IIRC.

Sandman7

SolidSnakex said:
I don't think any next gen game so far animates better than the 2 GoW's, ICO or SoTC. Which is disappointed but it looks like that'ls changing with some upcoming games.

SotC's animation was stunning. For the first time while playing a video game, I felt like I was controlling a person, all the little details like the way he stumbles or jumps down from the horse. Never played ICO (yes, it is a disgrace, will pick it up later).
I have complete faith in ND - they will produce a masterpiece.

Yoboman

MickeyKnox said:
1: Kojima said that he won't be making everything destructible because of both technical limitations as well as design choice.

2: I would be far more pissed if a frag grenade had an effect on concrete shields. Frags are the one thing that almost every game completely ****s up in representation.
1. If I recall correctly, what he said was some things that were vital to progressing the story would not be fully destructible.

2. I was thinking it could at least leave a mark on the ground but hey. Maybe they just didn't want to show that aspect yet :)

Marconelly said:
I have a feeling ND guys will do their damnedest to make sure she's the character we'll grow to like for many reasons other than her looks alone, and how that's precisely why they went this way instead of making her stereotypically pretty.

Kinda the same how in Ico, Yorda is likable because of her vulnerability at first, and later on her strength, and not just because of her looks. They are probably going to try to explore that a lot more here, and I wouldn't doubt Amy Henning's had her hand in that. Well, at least I hope it will all pan out this way.

Actually that's kinda spot on with what Hennig talked about in the GI interview, striving to create a believable and endearing character to interact with. She felt very few games have been able to bridge an emotional connection to the player, and the handful she could personally cite had one thing in common, NPC's you collaborated with and became attached to on some level. Ueda's Yorda and Argo, Alex in HL2, even the squad in GeoW in a sense. I thought that was a pretty keen observation.

Hennig's involvement probably has me hyped about the game as much as anything else to be honest. She joined ND pretty late into the Jak series so there wasn't as much of her stamp on things there. Now she has a fresh new IP she can really sink her teeth into.

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Hennig's involvement probably has me hyped about the game as much as anything else to be honest. She joined ND pretty late into the Jak series so there wasn't as much of her stamp on things there. Now she has a fresh new IP she can really sink her teeth into.

can you elaborate a little on that? I don't anything about her but I heard she wrote great stories for some games

deepbrown

I like the look of her. I've had enough of bland emotionless "perfect" looking characters in games. You have to think about her character, who is she, what does she do, what type of person is she. I think you should all get over it. She's not even ugly. I wish people would STFU about it. You don't get people coming in saying "woah that dude is sooo ugly in Gears"...it's just sh*t sexism and I can't stand reading it.

Kittonwy

Banned
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Actually that's kinda spot on with what Hennig talked about in the GI interview, striving to create a believable and endearing character to interact with. She felt very few games have been able to bridge an emotional connection to the player, and the handful she could personally cite had one thing in common, NPC's you collaborated with and became attached to on some level. Ueda's Yorda and Argo, Alex in HL2, even the squad in GeoW in a sense. I thought that was a pretty keen observation.

She directed Jak 3, no?

Pimpwerx

Sounds like a perfect episodic game, which is what SCEWWS is probably aiming for. So they're looking for the map in Drake's coffin. That's a whole game unto itself. Once the map is found, it could lead them to a whole other set of clues that could make for an entirely new game. I see this as an ongoing search, and I don't mind that at all. ND is one of the few devs I trust to pull something like that off. The game looks awesome, but sound even better. PEACE.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Some of those shots are from the E3 trailer.

Sadly the game isn't a nice IMO as the E3 trailer ( liked the desaturated look). Still I can't wait to see it in motion, I want to see it move as well as it did back then and as well as it was claimed it would. I'm expecting this game to be the first "next-gen" game as far as the animations are concerned (thanks to Euphoria-like techniques).

Ether_Snake said:
Sadly the game isn't a nice IMO as the E3 trailer ( liked the desaturated look).

It looks better now to me, I prefer them trying to take a more artistic approach than just trying to be completely realistic. It's like SH with the static filter and it without, its the same game but the static makes it look better.

J-Rzez

This game is definetly in my top 5 wanted titles this year... It may actually end up being my most wanted once we get a lil' more updated details and see it actually play through a lil bit... Everything just sounds so awesome, I want to see it in action, like that shootout that was described in the GI special...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hey btw people if you want to see what real "next-gen" animations are supposed to be like (the kind of stuff Square, Level 5, and maybe Naughty Dog if what they showed is true, is based on).

This is the version for CG production, but they made another product (Euphoria) for game development.

WATCH THE VIDEOS BIZNATCHES!:)

http://www.naturalmotion.com/endorphin.htm

EDIT: For those who don't get it it basically blends AI, Physics, and hand-made animations (or mocaped too, but it's not really needed), to make very realistic context-influenced animations.

For example, a football tackle will NEVER be exactly the same, it is entirely based on the the info passed to the AI. For example, if the player attempts a tackle from very close to his opponent the animation will adapt compared to a tackle initiated from further away as the AI attempts to adjust his position to remain in balance while targeting the "weakspot" of his opponent, lowering himself properly to execute a realistic tackle. No canned-like animations.

EDIT2: Another example I like to use is a bit more code-oriented. Basically, let's say a Gears of War-like game. You haven't been in combat for a minute, so the animations turn to their relaxed versions. You get shot at, bullets flying by, and suddenly the reload and movement animations change with more emphasis on stress and tension. When the character runs he tries to keep his arms more stiff, bends forward a bit, to have a steadier aim (less wobbling while running). After the "tension" level lowers once no more bullets are detected flying by the character, he will enter "nervous" state. He will be looking around more often, heavier breather, reposition his hands on his gun once in a while as his hands become more sweaty, etc.

Pretty cool stuff:)

n0b

Ether_Snake said:
Hey btw people if you want to see what real "next-gen" animations are supposed to be like (the kind of stuff Square, Level 5, and maybe Naughty Dog if what they showed is true, is based on).

This is the version for CG production, but they made another product (Euphoria) for game development.

WATCH THE VIDEOS BIZNATCHES!:)

http://www.naturalmotion.com/endorphin.htm
None of the devs you mention use Euphoria.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
n0b said:
None of the devs you mention use Euphoria.

"the kind of stuff Square, Level 5, and maybe Naughty Dog if what they showed is true, is based on"

Top Bottom