• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Uncharted screens (wwhooa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB1981

new gamersyde video is spectacular looking. purchase confirmed.

my god the lighting and the animations and the textures and the smooth framerate.

bow ND. Bow.

VonGak!

Banned
I really dislike the look of the platforming, Nathan performs too much like a monkey but apart from that it looks all top notch to me (perhaps the camera should be zoomed a tad closer onto Nathan).

gogogow

It looks good, just as always.
But I'm kinda suprised ND still haven't fixed floating Drake yet.

Imo Drake's animations are too fast, it looks kinda weird, like he doesn't have any weight.

Another thing is, wtf at the indestructible wooden crates? a bomb didn't destroy it, shooting with the mini-gun didn't destroy it........wtf?

BUT it does look like fun, I'll probably pick it up.

gogogow said:
Imo Drake's animations are too fast, it looks kinda weird, like he doesn't have any weight.

As they've said, teh biggest challenge with the animation is trying to make him move realistically but still allow him to be fun to control.

gogogow said:
Another thing is, wtf at the indestructible wooden crates? a bomb didn't destroy it, shooting with the mini-gun didn't destroy it........wtf?

I think they've said they'll be fixing that since they noticed many players in the demo would just sit behind crates without any worry of being hit.

The only thing I see that needs to be fixed is a walking animation or something. Whenever he makes a slight movement, he still does the quick stop animation that he'd do after running.

MakMan

Looks amazing!
Prince of Persia combined with Gears of War imo.
But, as said by others, still some improving can be done.
I hope it all turns out as well for the gameplay as it already does for the graphics.

InterMoniker said:
Ya I noticed the guy holding his leg after getting shot. Pretty damn cool the only other game thats pulled that off other than this game was Resident Evil 4 IMO
The lot of you need to play more PC games, geez.

Elbrain said:
Awesome cover art. If Naughty Dog was crafty they should re-advertise this game around when the 4th Indiana Jones movie release hehe get and extra bump in sales. :D
That's the publisher's job.

SolidSnakex said:
No multiplayer. It wouldn't really work as it is since Elena isn't always with you.
You forget about the old guy who is with him.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Multiplayer deathmatch would have been nice though. Or special missions geared for CO-OP, like GRAW. Maybe as DLC in the future?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I refuse to believe this game will consist of shooting just pirates and military guys. There has to be something more sinister there. Where's teh Kracken, ND!?

WasabiKing said:
The lot of you need to play more PC games, geez.
Not many games make shooting limbs fun like RE4 did though. It's the kind of comical animation they have that makes it great.

patsu

... or some sort of treasure hunt, where items of different points (and power ?) appear randomly on a map for players to find and hold on to. It will also encourage exploration (climbing and what not), plus combat.

Kildace

Marconelly said:
I refuse to believe this game will consist of shooting just pirates and military guys. There has to be something more sinister there. Where's teh Kracken, ND!?

Yeah. This game will make me buy a PS3 if it isn't as "generic" as it looks. Give me zombies or ancient voodoo spirits or a chtonian cult that will lend themselves to eerie supernatural environments. This game looks *great* but i couldn't see myself spending 15 hours shooting at people in jungles, ruins and catacombs.

I know generic isn't the right word, please don't jump on me because of it but when I look at Uncharted I'm strongly reminded of tomb raider without the boobs. A unique twist would make this game go from must buy for PS3 owners to system seller.

Oneself

It's not like we've seen much of the game.... AFAIK, ND games have always been varied.. and if they want their game to be realistic I don't think we'll fight skeletons and zombies. If you want that, check another game.:lol

Oneself said:
It's not like we've seen much of the game.... AFAIK, ND games have always been varied.. and if they want their game to be realistic I don't think we'll fight skeletons and zombies. If you want that, check another game.:lol

Yeah it's not like there's any lack of games this gen that have you shooting, zombies, aliens or some other form of monsters.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Some more variety in the enemies would be nice (just even visual), but otherwise it's hard to find complaint. I'd love to see a paper on their texturing system.

I'd also LOVE to see stat-tracking and leaderboards for certain things..and maybe even unlockable mini-games borne out of parts of the game. Like
jet-ski mini-games
or, a leaderboard for how many consecutive melee kills you can get, or whatever.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Kildace said:
I know generic isn't the right word, please don't jump on me because of it but when I look at Uncharted I'm strongly reminded of tomb raider without the boobs.
No, I understand you completely. TR games always did have some supernatural component though, and so did Indy movies, which this game so far seem to emulate much better than most actual Indy games. That's why I think they know they have to have something like that in this game as well.

I'm not asking for aliens, just something that makes sense in the context. Cthulhu-type of cult or some voodoo magic like you mentioned are both good ideas IMO. So is some kind of sea monster that guards Drake's treasure, and again, perhaps some cult that worships said monster.

I don't think anyone ever complained about the spirits emerging from the lost ark, heart grabbing priest in the Temple of Doom or the ancient knight and "walk of faith" in the Last Crusade. The component of 'impossible' unknown adds to immersion of the exploration of unknown.

However, even without that, I very much doubt this game will end up being some generic TR clone. I think characters and story in this game will be a lot more developed than in any TR game so far. If you look at the trailers, and not just gameplay videos, you'll see some strong evidence that Indy movies have influenced this game in character development, and overall theme.

Kittonwy

Banned
ND WHERE IS MY KRAKEN RAWR FORGET ABOUT IT?
Indifferent2.gif

Kildace

Marconelly said:
However, even without that, I very much doubt this game will end up being some generic TR clone. I think characters and story in this game will be a lot more developed than in any TR game so far. If you look at the trailers, and not just gameplay videos, you'll see some strong evidence that Indy movies have influenced this game in character development, and overall theme.

I realize that, Uncharted *will* be a successful game, but having a twist that makes it stand out from Tomb Raider clones will make it infinitely easier to market and increase sales a ton. It's all in the first impression : the 15s TV ad or the 30s trailer.

Loudninja

Earlier today I had a chance to look at three areas in Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and I can say quite fairly that it is coming to look like a stand out title for the Playstation 3 this year. For those that aren't familiar with the game, it comes across playing much like a mash up between Tomb Raider and Gears of War, except it has one thing neither of those do: a rock solid story. That's really what Uncharted is all about.

The team at Naughty Dog has pulled from all the great pulp and action adventure tales and crafted their own leading man who has all the scruff of a modern day Indiana Jones. And while for once you might not be tackling Nazis, there are plenty of pirates and mercenaries to kick, shoot, and punch ferociously in the crotch. You play the character of treasure hunter Nathan Drake. After running across a journal in the 400-year-old coffin of Sir Frances Drake, you start off on an adventure that leads you to a long lost Pacific island in search of the fabled treasure of El Dorado. Unfortunately, you're not the only person interested in the lost fortune, but then again that's what makes this game enjoyable to play.

Uncharted is full of combat which is split up between gunplay and quite a fair amount of fisticuffs. It was also announced that Uncharted will feature some vehicular combat, though to what extent I cannot say. You're able to carry up to two weapons at a time and enemies carry a varied selection of guns so more often than not I found myself switching weapons quite regularly. Grenades also come to use in the game, with an optional sixaxis control that adjusts the height of the thrown grenade's arc. The cover system in Uncharted, much like in gears, presses you up against a column or wall with a hit of the circle button. And also like Gears, holding down the circle button causes you to run quickly. Taking cover is a must, especially later in the game where some enemies have laser sights. If they lock onto you with their sight they can take you down with one shot. Using L1 allows you to lean out and take aim while R1 fires your equipped weapon. From behind cover you are able to blind fire without aiming, though this was so inaccurate that I can't imagine it having much use other than to scare enemies that are close. When shot at, most of the enemies in the game will stumble or attempt to duck out of the way. It's a really well executed effect as it drives the impression that your enemies are not willing to just run out to their slaughter.

Once you've whittled down the enemy troops to only one or two enemies, it's fairly easy to run up and engage them in hand-to-hand combat by hitting the square button. I spent a ton of time messing around with the large number of melee attacks, surprised to continue finding new animations throughout my time with the game. And best of all, Nathan Drake sure knows how to throw a punch. Every jab, kick and elbow looks like it causes a serious world of hurt. Watching Drake deliver two punches to the kidneys followed by a hook to the face is just so satisfying that you'll find yourself begging for an enemy to get to close for their own good. But hand-to-hand combat in Uncharted is much more than just mashing the square button. If you repeatedly jam away at the square button, you'll see Drake do the same thing, throwing lots of small quick hits. But if you try to time your punches correctly, you'll hit harder and take down your enemies faster. You can also modify your attacks with the triangle button after entering combat, which if timed correctly, will slow things down and really show off just how hard Drake can hit. But if your timing is off, well, you can come to expect a fist or two in the face.

Much of hand to hand is also context sensitive. If you hit square behind an enemy Drake may hop up on their back and snap their neck. Or if properly timed when running straight at a foe, Nathan jumps kicks them down to the ground in one fluid motion. Even obstacles surrounding your foes come into play, which I didn't discover until much later during my time with the game. After attacking a pirate in front of a knocked down pillar, I noticed that Drake pushed the poor guy back onto the surface before wailing away with his fists.

It's the little details like this that fit together so seamlessly that makes Uncharted such a joy to play. It never feels as if anything falls into a canned animation. This is because a series of Nathan's animations are all able to play out at once, layered on top of one another. You can recover from a jump, slip behind cover, and reload your weapon all at the same time. The effect is visible and impressive right away.

Small nuances, like how Drake takes cover behind objects, keep the game both looking and feeling incredibly fresh. Sometimes he'll duck down grimacing as shots fly by his head, other times he'll lift a foot to rest against the wall he's covering behind. It makes Drake feel like a real person, not just some guy running through a series of limited animations.

The other half of Uncharted deals with exploration. Climbing ruins and solving location-based puzzles, often times with the help of a handy journal akin to that of the Jones family in The Last Crusade. The puzzles that I came across during my time with the game were not too difficult. Climb up this wall, pull a switch and water fills the room allowing Drake to swim out. Most of the sections we looked at were focused on combat, so it's hard to say much about the exploration. Drake will throw himself off of ledges to reach the next, often just grasping on or knocking the wind out of himself as he hits the rock chest-first. Jumping from handhold to handhold never gives the impression that any task comes easy. Which is very fresh in an age where many heroes double jump or rewind time.

Graphically Uncharted is a wet dream. I say that mostly in jest, as some of the water effects and reflections are simply stunning. It may not be on par with Bioshock, but it gets damn close. And when Drake pulls himself from the water, his clothes are soaked and dry slowly over time. You can even just get small pieces of him soaked with water, a nice touch for a game that's sure to have plenty of damp caverns and waterfalls. Today I saw both the inside and outside of an old villa as well as a flooded underground area. None of the environment pieces struck me as repetitive. There are plenty of individual cracks in walls with bright green foliage pushing through. Objects to take cover behind, while somewhat obvious, each look distinct enough to not get boring. If they are any example of what we'll be seeing in the full game, I can assure you that there will be plenty to take in and explore.

Character models all look realistic, especially the featured cast. In the midst of battle, your AI controlled cohort, Elena, will yell over to you with full lip-synching. The one cutscene we were provided with was sharp, well directed, and featured excellent voice acting. The expressions that some of these characters pull off strike as very realistic, while completely avoiding any uncanny valley issues.

Uncharted is looking to come together to create one fantastic thrill ride. It's an adventure that we're told will take around 10 hours to complete, which is just a bit short by my standards, but could be great if the story is as tight as it seems. Whether it ends up being a must-have title or a great weekend rental remains to be seen. Until then though, keep this game on your radar.

http://www.ugo.com/NextGenerationGaming/game.aspx?SectionID=2064

karasu

This game looks so much better and more ambitious than any Tomb Raider game. It's not even funny. Lara Croft didn't invent archaeological expeditions people.

karasu said:
This game looks so much better and more ambitious than any Tomb Raider game. It's not even funny. Lara Croft didn't invent archaeological expeditions people.

True, although as far as video games though she is the face of stuff like this. I still don't get why its a bad thing for a game to incorporate TR aspects. It's a fantastic series, especially since CD revived it.

karasu said:

completely agree...never been much of TR fan, but Ive always been down with ND

Loudninja

SolidSnakex said:
The originals did, that's a different story with CD's TR's.

IS that so? cool, I only played the PS1 versions, horrible controls.

Back on topic, many sites have reported that the issues with Uncharted at E3 has been fix, and its much better

Overall, Uncharted was one of the most impressive titles on display at PAX. The combat and control issues that plagued the E3 build have been fixed already and with another eight weeks of tweaking scheduled, gameplay is shaping up very nicely. Visually, Uncharted looks better than anything on the PlayStation 3 right now and it will be a welcome addition to the videogame starved PS3 owners when it comes out.

Oneself

Uncharted is looking to come together to create one fantastic thrill ride. It's an adventure that we're told will take around 10 hours to complete, which is just a bit short by my standards, but could be great if the story is as tight as it seems. Whether it ends up being a must-have title or a great weekend rental remains to be seen. Until then though, keep this game on your radar.

Well, as long as it is a " real " 10 hours and not some exaggerated dev. time... because 10 hours would mean like, 6 or something. And I don't want Uncharted to be another Heavenly Sword (even though I like it a lot, it really is too short).

Raistlin

Just watched the gamersyde vid.

Sweet jesus ... the graphics are just INSANE 0_o. Texturezilla? Wow.

Level design looks freaking great too!

I'm really getting aggravated by game times. If your game is completely devoid of multiplayer it should last at least 15 hours. This should be required by law. This bullshit is getting out of hand.

But Uncharted does look completely fucking awesome and I will be so on this day one.

AAK

Marconelly said:
No, I understand you completely. TR games always did have some supernatural component though, and so did Indy movies, which this game so far seem to emulate much better than most actual Indy games. That's why I think they know they have to have something like that in this game as well.

I'm not asking for aliens, just something that makes sense in the context. Cthulhu-type of cult or some voodoo magic like you mentioned are both good ideas IMO. So is some kind of sea monster that guards Drake's treasure, and again, perhaps some cult that worships said monster.

I don't think anyone ever complained about the spirits emerging from the lost ark, heart grabbing priest in the Temple of Doom or the ancient knight and "walk of faith" in the Last Crusade. The component of 'impossible' unknown adds to immersion of the exploration of unknown.

I can see where you're comming from. The only thing that's left demanding from this game are some epic larger than life bossfights. And I have no idea how they can include one without some kind of supernatural/eccentric enemies like Dead Cell/Fox Hound/etc. from Metal Gear Solid.

Man reading that preview made my anticipation for this game rise dramtically. It sounds like ND is concentrating on the smaller details as well as the big stuff which is fantastic since I feel the small stuff is what really makes a game come alive.

Sirolf

ParticleReality said:
Don't bet on it.

What the hell were they doing in the background? It sounds like they're trying to open gates to hell.

Almost that :lol
The speakers were way too loud.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
AAK said:
I can see where you're comming from. The only thing that's left demanding from this game are some epic larger than life bossfights. And I have no idea how they can include one without some kind of supernatural/eccentric enemies like Dead Cell/Fox Hound/etc. from Metal Gear Solid.
Not necessarily... I mean these pirates seem pretty damn resourceful. They have anti-aircraft guns after all, so maybe they have helicopters and who knows what other heavy weaponry that could be used as a boss fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom