• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Uncharted screens (wwhooa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VALKYRAY

Banned
12.jpg

WTF!?

DuckRacer

joesmokey said:
This game just keeps looking better and better. Now until next summer is going to be an insanely busy period!
Fixed.

What really impressed me that no one seems to be talking about is the motion blur. Looks a lot like Lost Planet's implementation... and that's a great thing. Animations look great, textures look great, the explosions have a very stylized look to them (almost like art instead of something realistic like GRAW), etc. Graphically Uncharted has everything nailed down.

Ploid 3.0

Amazing! o_O Can't wait to get this. Well I'll have R&CF to tide me over for a long time, and I still have a lot of games to finish but I want to play this now. I love adventure games in the tomb raider1&2 and indiana jones settings.

Duck said:
Graphically Uncharted has everything nailed down.

Now conspiracy-hat me all you like, but I certainly won't be surprised when this game gets nitpicked to hell by critics. Every little flaw will be highlighted, regardless of how great the bigger picture is.

Raistlin

AltogetherAndrews said:
Now conspiracy-hat me all you like, but I certainly won't be surprised when this game gets nitpicked to hell by critics. Every little flaw will be highlighted, regardless of how great the bigger picture is.

Halo payback

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
AltogetherAndrews said:
You know what - I honestly think that the more devs boast about this or that technical feature of their game, how much texture data or sounds they've stored there or whatever, the game gets under more scrutiny when it's reviewed.

Whether it's fair or not I don't know (maybe devs should just shut up with tech talk in their interviews and leave that for white papers, because it's just damaging in the end?) but I've noticed that only games that don't get under such kind of scrutiny are those that not only look great, but where devs rarely if ever boast about technology behind it - example would be Little Big Planet, Bioshock or Ratchet & Clank.

gbovo

AltogetherAndrews said:
I don't think this will happen much with Uncharted. Reviewers usually do this with games that have a lot of hype behind them, but Uncharted doesn't really have as much hype as other games like Killzone 2, even though it should.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Marconelly said:
You know what - I honestly think that the more devs boast about this or that technical feature of their game, how much texture data or sounds they've stored there or whatever, the game gets under more scrutiny when it's reviewed.

Whether it's fair or not I don't know (maybe devs should just shut up with tech talk in their interviews and leave that for white papers, because it's just damaging in the end?) but I've noticed that only games that don't get under such kind of scrutiny are those that not only look great, but where devs rarely if ever boast about technology behind it - example would be Little Big Planet, Bioshock or Ratchet & Clank.

I don't know, perhaps LBP and Ratchet and Clank hasn't done much tech talk but Bioshock went on and on about their water. I don't blame people for wanting to highlight their accomplishments, but I agree that if they are great they really don't need to be talked about. You should just notice them.

I think Sony is just under a lot of scrutiny period right now. E3 '05 is in my opinion where they went wrong, and people take a long time to let go. Microsoft came out really had a horrible MTV unveiling, and then produced a few games that looked way better than what they promised (GRAW and then 6-9 months later Gears of War comes to mind).

So yeah... expect Sony 1st party games to get scrutinized for a while yet. Personally I think it sucks, but people are people.

antiloop

These guys needs to go out and help 3rd parties when they are done with this game. It's just awesome looking.

The only thing I don't like is as some have stated that the animations seems kinda floaty sometimes. Although that's a minor nitpick and the game looks too good in all other areas.
Plus the animation is a great most of the time.

The new developer video just looks unbelievable in some places. Holy shit!

We need screen caps from that.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
New dev video at gametrailers. http://www.gametrailers.com/game/2654.html

Looks like old footage here and there with some new one. The animations and the fights are looking really better now, the jump is still a bit strange/floaty. The lighting is sometimes very good, sometimes not quite believable (especially the part with the flashlight). But the animations' blending are really impressive.

Zer0

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:

its not conspiracy,it just reality,just heard any podcast about any ps3 game,there allways and "BUT"for all ps3 games,but the worst example of this trend will be killzone 2,belive me,that game will be panned,they will exagerate all the minor flaws of the game

Awntawn

Zer0 said:
its not conspiracy,it just reality,just heard any podcast about any ps3 game,there allways and "BUT"for all ps3 games,but the worst example of this trend will be killzone 2,belive me,that game will be panned,they will exagerate all the minor flaws of the game
Panning flaws is one thing, just don't start complaining about a lack of features.

AltogetherAndrews said:

The dumbest point made about the game in previews and impression is "well since this game is getting graphically more life like and smooth animation wise, the flaws stand out more clearly". Hopefully there arent any bogus comments like that in the final reviews.

Zer0 said:

is Killzone 2 going to have multiplayer? if it isnt, you can pretty much count on that being a negative for reviewers.

Wollan

Of course KZ2 will have online multiplayer. They practically confirmed co-op in one of the videos as well (GameReactor).

temjin

Banned
i hate the look of this game, and i have no idea why, i just hate looking at it. the character models look ridiculous, and the environments, no matter how impressive they may be really rub me the wrong way.

Bebpo

Banned
temjin said:
i hate the look of this game, and i have no idea why, i just hate looking at it. the character models look ridiculous, and the environments, no matter how impressive they may be really rub me the wrong way.

uhmm...ok.

I think it looks pretty nice. I'm not a huge fan of the art direction and would have preferred something like Jak/Crash, but Gears textures + Gears battles x TR's open evironments and TR's platforming seems pretty great if they pull it off.

J-Rzez

Jtrizzy said:
that video is superb.

this vs. Bioshock for goty?

Most likely... I'll throw in Ratchet as well, because it looks incredible, plays great (even before the major tweaks), and will probably have a bit of depth both in gameplay and storyline...

And yes, of course Uncharted is going to get torn to shreds, and there's only one reason for that...

Grayman

Wollan said:
Of course KZ2 will have online multiplayer. They practically confirmed co-op in one of the videos as well (GameReactor).
It would be pretty embarassing for KZ2 to have less features than KZL so I would bet on it.

(real online coop and multiplayer coming months after release :lol )

J-Rzez

temjin said:

Eh, it happens... I'm the same way at times like how people love to wank over SMG, Smash, and Nights, while I'm wondering if people think they look great just because they're not as bad looking as other games on that machine and that they put a lil more effort into the looks...

J-Rzez said:
Most likely... I'll throw in Ratchet as well, because it looks incredible, plays great (even before the major tweaks), and will probably have a bit of depth both in gameplay and storyline...

And yes, of course Uncharted is going to get torn to shreds, and there's only one reason for that...

Lemme guess...No $800 duffle bag?

:lol

Awntawn

temjin said:
The game does seem to have a slight Uncanny Valley effect going on for some people. To be honest I feel it a bit myself, but I know better than to let it bother me. What this game is doing is simply incredible.

AltogetherAndrews said:

The game is loaded visually so it seems to be up to the challenge for those that want to nitpick it. I wouldn't say the game is perfect visually, but they seem to have all the bases covered visually so there's nothing glaring that sticks out. But I think that's what happens when you try to make a game that's balanced visually instead of picking 1 thing and trying to make it look better than everything else while the rest of the games visuals suffer as a result.

Awntawn said:
The game does seem to have a slight Uncanny Valley effect going on for some people. To be honest I feel it a bit myself, but I know better than to let it bother me. What this game is doing is simply incredible.

How can the game have an "Uncanny Valley effect" when the design isn't attempting true realism at all? The game is going for a very stylized, pulp comic book look, which it delivers, big time.

Seriously, people need to learn what these terms mean before they go throwing them around...

gogogow

SolidSnakex said:
The game is loaded visually so it seems to be up to the challenge for those that want to nitpick it.
yeah, but they aren't going to nitpick about the graphics, but about the collision detection etc.

gogogow

freezo said:
i will take the collision detection in this game over the one in assassins creed any day
Haven't followed or seen any gameplay media of Assassins Creed since last E3 show.
Is the collision detection in AC really that bad?

Awntawn said:

I really hope people stop using uncanny valley, I am seen it mentioned a few times in relation to games in Next Gen, it is such a bullcrap way to rationalize things. While I would rather have a more stylish look than realistic, knocking something because it looks too real graphically should not be a fault.

I may come off as overblowing it, but after hearing it on 1upyours yesterday when it was said Halo 3 had better humans than MGS4 because MGS4 had an uncanny valley effect was just sickening.

gogogow said:
Haven't followed or seen any gameplay media of Assassins Creed since last E3 show.
Is the collision detection in AC really that bad?

Lets just say that if you think Uncharted's collision detection will get nitpicked, you don't want to see AC's.

With Uncharted they've still got some of the collision detection they need to clean up but its already come a long way since it was originally shown playable. So they're getting there.

Linkzg said:
I may come off as overblowing it, but after hearing it on 1upyours yesterday when it was said Halo 3 had better humans than MGS4 because MGS4 had an uncanny valley effect was just sickening.

I take shots at 1up from time to time, but not even they would say something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom