• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Uncharted screens (wwhooa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Decado said:
May eventually play it, but can't get excited. The obvious aim at getting a "T" rating automatically makes it bargain bin at best for me, and the lack of environmental damage makes all the technical polish pretty unimpressive.

LOL now that the "questionable gunplay" has been squashed we're getting some real gems.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
chubigans said:
The absolute worst. The kind that buys 50 Cent: Bulletproof. Perhaps even worse than that.
One of those peoples that likes to sniff dirty diapers and lick old bananas.
seriously that dude, what is he thinking

LiquidMetal14

Dante said:
LOL now that the "questionable gunplay" has been squashed we're getting some real gems.
Next one on the line......fresh from the presses.......Drakes underwears don't show the signs of pee when he is being scared by badies.

LiquidMetal14

Here's the translation - Credit goes to VG Aficionado of E-mpire

- They're still optimizing the frame rate, will end up running at constant 30 fps. Sometimes it goes up to 45 fps with all effects on, but they aim at constant 30 fps as already mentioned. Less than 30 fps is considered a bug.

- All textures have been drawn, there are no scanned textures. That's why it looks somewhat cartoony.

- Jetski level has 6 million polygons + water reflection + refraction + bump mapping + jitter + shadows + a good number of characters + physics + AI + volumetric explosions + etc

- It should take 12 hours to complete.

- The AI will learn your behavior and react accordingly. Experienced gamers will have a hard time. They're proud of the AI.

- There are no scripted events when you fight with the AI. You'll never see the same situation twice (to some extent, of course).

- No auto-aim.

- The effects still aren't final. They'll improve close to the very end of the project for optimization's sake.

- There's a lot of stuff we haven't seen yet. It's like a movie where a lot of things happen, and it will have lots of varied action: shooting, fighting, platforming, puzzles, enigmas, races, treasure hunting ("you'll be finding things"), etc.

- Real time HDR lighting: if there's a sunset, everything on screen will have a reddish tone. Everything will be real time.

- 720p allows better geometry. We might not see anything better than Uncharted geometry-wise at 1080p.

- PS3 devkits let them know all the game stats when they're developing it (duh): GPU load, texture memory, level memory, shadow memory, buffers, how is streaming affected, frame rate, etc.

- "I love the AI. The fact that it learns from the player's actions and that it adjusts the difficulty itself is awesomenage. We haven't even exploited half of what the Cell can do. Besides the CPU power, we've got the GPUs (sic) inside the PS3, where you can send some tasks to spare Cell from "digesting" them, so that you get more free CPU time. PS3 still has a lot of untapped power."

- They didn't have the time to include a co-op mode and getting the game finished in November. Tons of ideas left out of it, might make it to Uncharted 2. (This is usual in game development)

- Nathan Drake has 3000 animations.

- Real time cutscenes, no prerendered stuff. It's all real time, in-engine.

Note - I was beaten to this. Credit goes to the OP of this news.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Decado said:
May eventually play it, but can't get excited. The obvious aim at getting a "T" rating automatically makes it bargain bin at best for me, and the lack of environmental damage makes all the technical polish pretty unimpressive.

Thanks for the update. Lets us know when you get around to it, I look forward to your LTTP post.

Firewire

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:

- They're still optimizing the frame rate, will end up running at constant 30 fps. Sometimes it goes up to 45 fps with all effects on, but they aim at constant 30 fps as already mentioned. Less than 30 fps is considered a bug.

- All textures have been drawn, there are no scanned textures. That's why it looks somewhat cartoony.

- Jetski level has 6 million polygons + water reflection + refraction + bump mapping + jitter + shadows + a good number of characters + physics + AI + volumetric explosions + etc

- The AI will learn your behavior and react accordingly. Experienced gamers will have a hard time. They're proud of the AI.

- There are no scripted events when you fight with the AI. You'll never see the same situation twice (to some extent, of course).

- No auto-aim.

- The effects still aren't final. They'll improve close to the very end of the project for optimization's sake.

- There's a lot of stuff we haven't seen yet. It's like a movie where a lot of things happen, and it will have lots of varied action: shooting, fighting, platforming, puzzles, enigmas, races, treasure hunting ("you'll be finding things"), etc.

- Real time HDR lighting: if there's a sunset, everything on screen will have a reddish tone. Everything will be real time.

- 720p allows better geometry. We might not see anything better than Uncharted geometry-wise at 1080p.

- PS3 devkits let them know all the game stats when they're developing it (duh): GPU load, texture memory, level memory, shadow memory, buffers, how is streaming affected, frame rate, etc.

- "I love the AI. The fact that it learns from the player's actions and that it adjusts the difficulty itself is awesomenage. We haven't even exploited half of what the Cell can do. Besides the CPU power, we've got the GPUs (sic) inside the PS3, where you can send some tasks to spare Cell from "digesting" them, so that you get more free CPU time. PS3 still has a lot of untapped power."

- They didn't have the time to include a co-op mode and getting the game finished in November. Tons of ideas left out of it, might make it to Uncharted 2. (This is usual in game development)

Holy shit Uncharted will be so awesome!

LiquidMetal14 said:

- No auto-aim.

Cool thanks a lot. There's some interesting things in there.

Doc Evils

LiquidMetal14 said:

- No auto-aim.

Note - I was beaten to this. Credit goes to the OP of this news.

Hah, nice. Can't wait.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wario64 said:
"- The AI will learn your behavior and react accordingly. Experienced gamers will have a hard time. They're proud of the AI."

So...dynamic difficulty confirmed.
Yes, it's confirmed even more somewhere else. Same place the dev. said Resistance for example and bunch of other popular games also had dynamic difficulty, with players not necessarily even knowing about it.

AAK

I'm really scared this game will be lacking boss fights. Though sparse, all the crash and jak games had spectacular boss encounters. I'd hate to see such amazing potential in this game go to waste.

LiquidMetal14

AAK said:
I'm really scared this game will be lacking boss fights. Though sparse, all the crash and jak games had spectacular boss encounters. I'd hate to see such amazing potential in this game go to waste.
Kinda different games with different themes/tones. Don't expect something that was in Jak. This is its own game, not a Jak-like game.

AAK

LiquidMetal14 said:
Kinda different games with different themes/tones. Don't expect something that was in Jak. This is its own game, not a Jak-like game.

A theme shouldn't limit gameplay potential.

AAK

SolidSnakex said:
It seems like they're replacing boss battles with huge gameplay events like the jetski level, or the truck level ect.

I'm just saying is that while I was watching the thug bashing video from Gametrailers... I just kept telling myself that a fight with MGS's Vulcan Raven in that same environment would be phenomenal.

And with all the Bioshocklevel water effects, a seamonster type enemy while Drake is standing above on a narrow platform that was being destroy and forcing him to do some platforming simultaneously to survive also popped through my head. Very few games can match the transition from gunplay to platforming as seamless as Uncharted and I believe there are plenty of extraordinary boss experiences compatible with it.

AAK said:
I'm just saying is that while I was watching the thug bashing video from Gametrailers... I just kept telling myself that a fight with MGS's Vulcan Raven in that same environment would be phenomenal.

And with all the Bioshocklevel water effects, a seamonster type enemy while Drake is standing above on a narrow platform that was being destroy and forcing him to do some platforming simultaneously to survive also popped through my head. Very few games can match the transition from gunplay to platforming as seamless as Uncharted and I believe there are plenty of extraordinary boss experiences compatible with it.

It could still happen. They've been very quite about a lot of stuff. Especially the possibility of a more supernatural turn for the story later in the game. And that's a good thing. Keep everything a surprise.

teiresias

Decado said:

So you refuse to play anything not rated M or higher? :lol

Holtz

Decado said:
This better be a joke, otherwhise :lol :lol :lol

KTallguy

Banned
jett said:
Ninja Theory am cry

To be fair, I liked that the pre-rendered cutscenes hid the loading time. I also liked some of the crazy effects, especially in the first scene, which would be kind of dumb to implement in real time for only that scene.

12 hours... ehhh. Most AAA action/adventures are 12 hours or less, so I wouldn't say this is a flaw... Half Life 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, God of War, Ninja Gaiden... but I thought this game was going to be bigger. Resident Evil 4 length or even longer.

Still, looks incredible, my most wanted game.

deepbrown

jett said:
Ninja Theory am cry

All ninja Theory's cutscenes were real-time, no prerendered. (except maybe the last one) Just some of the real-time were recorded. Lots of them weren't...and they look exactly the same as the recorded ones. In fact they look better - because they aren't compressed.

deepbrown

KTallguy said:
To be fair, I liked that the pre-rendered cutscenes hid the loading time. I also liked some of the crazy effects, especially in the first scene, which would be kind of dumb to implement in real time for only that scene.

How many cutscenes can you watch in the videos section? See how many there are missing? Those are all real-time...the rest are recorded real-time engine.:D

deepbrown

KTallguy said:
Yes, when I said pre-rendered, I specifically meant the first one, I know the other ones are in-engine.

The first one isn't either - except going into her eye. That's what Deano said anyway.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Zefah said:
Am I the only one underwhelmed here? The game doesn't look all that good to me. The Jungles look a lot like Farcry and the character models don't look that great in my opinion. There are some really pretty parts too, but the quality seems very inconsistent.

no your not mate, I really fail to see what is so graphically amazing here, the textures are really not that brilliant, look at the jeep for example, the bonnet in-particular.

deepbrown

lowrider007 said:
no your not mate, I really fail to see what is so graphically amazing here, the textures are really not that brilliant, look at the jeep for example, the bonnet in-particular.

uh oh...*looks at bonnet* ND FAIL

(If Uncharted doesn't impress...this generation might as well stop now.)

Kittonwy

Banned
teiresias said:
So you refuse to play anything not rated M or higher? :lol

You might as well tell him to stfu because that's the way he is, fucking wet fucking blanket
Indifferent2.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
lowrider007 said:
You are either baiting him with a repeated joke, or really don't realize that what you think are the bad textures on the bonnet, are in fact realtime dynamic shadows cast from the tree above?

jett said:
Ninja Theory am cry
Quite a few cutscenes in HS weren't recorded into a video file though, and they all looked identical in objects/textures/shader use. Maybe performance would suffer with some of the most complex scenes if they weren't recorded, who knows, but there's no denying characters in HS look even better than here (or well, anywhere else), better skin shader and all.

Still, from some kind of karmic point of view, I have nothing but respect for ND's decision to make custscenes fully realtime, and look as amazing as they apparently do. If they put some kind of MGS-ish limited camera control into them, it will be even better :)

J-Rzez

lowrider007 said:

The textures are some of, or maybe the best we've seen in a game this gen on consoles... That hood shot what you're talking about anyways, is shadows casted by the trees, and, also captured over a month ago with time ahead to optimize... At least get your facts straight first...

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
some good news some bad news... first off 12 hours is GREAT news, I'm ery happy with that, but no co-op :(, I'll live, but it would've been the perfect game for it.

I trust naughty dog when they say 12 hours, maybe that means 11 or so, but around that time is great. Ninja theory said 10 we got 6, because they seemed to think we're not that great of gamers, claiming hell mode was near impossible, seriously it wasn't hard at all.

Chris_C

There was a really nicely compressed MP4 (250MB) of part one of the making of, any chance we'll see another one of those?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Chris_C said:
There was a really nicely compressed MP4 (250MB) of part one of the making of, any chance we'll see another one of those?
Gamespot has both part 1 and the new part 2 in even better MP4 quality (700+ MB files).

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I'm pretty impressed with how the game is coming along so far, BUT! I still like the old dual-colored shirt Drake was wearing in older vids better.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Schrade said:
That actress that is playing Elena (Emily Rose) is pretty cute!

Oh, and for people wanting the 720p Inside The Game (AKA Behind the Scenes Part 1) you can get it from my post here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8038654&postcount=1371

Sony hasn't released Behind the Scenes Part 2 yet in MP4 format but I'll try to put it up as soon as I see it.

That would be great thanks.

And yeah, Elena is cute. Reminds me of Bush's daughter. By the way, how they hell did Bush get a daughter that cute? I guess if you're a Darwinist, nature really wants Bush's "amazing" genes to continue breeding.

Wow that was a tangent, anyway looking forward to a non gamespot subscriber HD version of part 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom