• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Vita Press release - games list, battery life ('3-5 hours'), memory card info

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BadWolf said:
Not too fond of the mem card price but at the same time its a one time purchase.

Bought a 4GB stick for my PSP 4 or whatever years ago and that was that, it was all I needed. So yeah, will probably just get an 8GB or 16GB and that will be that.
It's also cheaper than what you would have paid for a memory stick back in 2005 (for the PSP). I remember dropping well over $100 for a 1GB memory stick. :-|

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
i think it's already been said. because if the memory cards aren't going to be available for regular consumer use (ie: in cameras, in card readers, etc.) then there won't be a way to access the files on the memory card from a pc. you then won't be able to load any custom files to your Vita and hack it, and won't be able to rip the firmware to be analyzed, modified, and loaded onto the Vita.

as far as there being a complete absence of a dedicated hard drive, they just wanted to cut costs and consolidate where all user data is going to be stored. i personally think the part about "some games can't save to their own cart" is referring more to DLC than it is actual game saves, but is leaving it open and ambiguous in case a user saves so much that the cart is full and they need secondary.

i think sony will have the same system to the carts standardized just like they do with saving to HDD or memory stick with PSP and PS3. sony owns the carts so it follows that they will dictate formatting and what not.
Am I understanding it well, these cards can't be read from anything else than PS Vita, meaning you'd need to send your 4gig card to Sony for instance if you'd need to transfert its content on a bigger card?

i think it's already been said. because if the memory cards aren't going to be available for regular consumer use (ie: in cameras, in card readers, etc.) then there won't be a way to access the files on the memory card from a pc. you then won't be able to load any custom files to your Vita and hack it, and won't be able to rip the firmware to be analyzed, modified, and loaded onto the Vita.
It'a been a long time since I hacked my PSP, but I'm pretty sure I did it by changing files on the memory stick while it was in the PSP, connected to my PC via USB. It'll be no different on the Vita.

3 to 5 hours? How is not making more noise? Goddamn, that's ridiculous. I don't care how powerful the Vita is, it's supposed to be portable, not "oh shit I need to plug it in the wall so I can enjoy Uncharted on my portable device!!"

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
gofreak said:
We've had no new info on that at TGS yet. Still the same old 'as far as I know...' comment from a SCEE guy. Maybe Yoshida will answer that more definitively tomorrow.

yeah the only thing I could find was,

"Michael Denny, Sony's Vice President of Sony Worldwide Studios Europe, confirmed that - to the best of his knowledge - Vita would be region free."

Not exactly concrete but I'm confident it will be.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
marc^o^ said:
Am I understanding it well, these cards can't be read from anything else than PS Vita, meaning you'd need to send your 4gig card to Sony for instance if you'd need to transfert its content on a bigger card?
no, you'll use media go on the pc for file transfers most likely.

StuBurns

Banned
lowrider007 said:

"Michael Denny, Sony's Vice President of Sony Worldwide Studios Europe, confirmed that - to the best of his knowledge - Vita would be region free."

I really hope he's correct (not that is any reason to think he isn't, other than his language), if I can't play 999-2 on one of these handhelds, there will be blood.

Emitan

Littleberu said:
3 to 5 hours? How is not making more noise? Goddamn, that's ridiculous. I don't care how powerful the Vita is, it's supposed to be portable, not "oh shit I need to plug it in the wall so I can enjoy Uncharted on my portable device!!"
That's the same battery life my PSP-1000 gets. What's the big deal?

Littleberu said:
It's the same as PSP, more or less.

Billychu said:
But they've already confirmed you can access the files from a PC.

link? this is the first i've heard of this.

are you just making an assumption based on seeing the USB charger? or did they outright say you can access memory card contents via USB with a PC?

EDIT: mediago isn't quite the same thing. they could make it restrict file types etc. add more security into the mediago client, etc.

mclem

If there is *no* way to read the card on a PC, that means you cannot move music or video from your PC to the Vita to watch on the move - nor can you transfer photos from the Vita to your PC for use there.

I can't believe there's no way to get a PC to read the card, although it's possible it'd have to do it through a highly-protective proprietary communications system rather than accessing the filesystem directly.

link? this is the first i've heard of this.

are you just making an assumption based on seeing the USB charger? or did they outright say you can access memory card contents via USB with a PC?
You're going to be able to, whether they allow it or not.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
lowrider007 said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30945625&postcount=3862

SamBishop said:
Region-free, yep. However, I believe Stores may be region-specific, as I don't think the Vita supports multiple users currently. Basically it'll be the PS3 DLC situation all over again, but without the workaround of just buying stuff with a local account for the games you get. Given that I haven't used a consumer unit yet, though, that's purely me pulling the latter part of the info out of my ass. But yes, region-free.

Billychu said:
That's the same battery life my PSP-1000 gets. What's the big deal?

I don't think that's enough, that's it. The PSP is almost 5 years old, it's inconceivable that the battery life is that low. It's almost the same battery life as the 3DS, and both system's battery life are way too short compared to cellphones available right now.

Pazuzu9 said:
You're going to be able to, whether they allow it or not.

true, but the question was if it was a move to avoid piracy/hacking. nothing is hack proof. so if this is something that only makes it harder than it's still a move to slow down the hacking community.

we've already established that it's definitely a cost-of-manufacturing issue, but weather or not they also want to try and slow down hackers is another thing. they definitely are, otherwise there would be no reason at all to make a proprietary card only for use in a Vita system. they would just use an iteration of their current MC's.

lowrider007

_dementia said:
Battery tech needs to evolve soon.

I agree, I thinks it acceptable given the hardware but not acceptable in this day and age with our tech needs, I get a day out of my smart phone compared with a week with my old Sony T610 lol, the hardware is evolving beyond what current battery tech can support.

dallow_bg said:

I wonder what Sam's source was on that as he doesn't seem to say.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I posted about this earlier, but the Content Manager app lets you back up to and transfer from PC or PS3, apparently controlled just from the Vita end of things (?)

http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvita/attractions/applications/

img_6.jpg

Google Translate

Videos, photographs and music - "like" treasure box packed

PS3 ® or PC Connect, music and video, and copy the image data, you can back up data from PS Vita.

"PlayStation ® but want to download games in Store, can not be downloaded on the memory card is full "- PS3 At such times ® and let your computer connect to.

Content PS3 game ended ® and transferred to a PC, you can save it. Stuffed favorite games and music that sometimes PS Vita, wherever you can enjoy.

"Content Management" Start, PS3 ® copy the data on the PC and PS Vita. All operations performed on the PS Vita.

There's some other bits about the OS in there too...specifically I think about custom background music in-game and the web browser.

true, but the question was if it was a move to avoid piracy/hacking. nothing is hack proof. so if this is something that only makes it harder than it's still a move to slow down the hacking community.

we've already established that it's definitely a cost-of-manufacturing issue, but weather or not they also want to try and slow down hackers is another thing. they definitely are, otherwise there would be no reason at all to make a proprietary card only for use in a Vita system. they would just use an iteration of their current MC's.
No doubt hacking was discussed, but you're kidding yourself if you think it's not primarily so that they can force us to pay a premium for storage. They could have easily made it an M2 slot, which would have been cheaper for everyone (apart from Belgians apparently).

gofreak said:
I posted about this earlier, but the Content Manager app lets you back up to and transfer from PC or PS3, apparently controlled just from the Vita end of things (?)

http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvita/attractions/applications/

img_6.jpg

Google Translate

There's some other bits about the OS in there too...specifically I think about custom background music in-game and the web browser.

It was shown that you could do browsing even when a game starts running at the Playstation meeting, don't know if that's the case still though.

Littleberu said:
I don't think that's enough, that's it. The PSP is almost 5 years old, it's inconceivable that the battery life is that low. It's almost the same battery life as the 3DS, and both system's battery life are way too short compared to cellphones available right now.

You may not think it's enough, but it is quite comparable to the battery life of anything similar.
Try playing a game or watching a movie on your smartphone. My nexus s will at most last 3 hours with constant use.

lowrider007

Pazuzu9 said:
No doubt hacking was discussed, but you're kidding yourself if you think it's not primarily so that they can force us to pay a premium for storage. They could have easily made it an M2 slot, which would have been cheaper for everyone (apart from Belgians apparently).

People keep saying this but we don't even know what the transfer speeds are of the new proprietary memory is from Sony yet, it may not just be a regular SD card with Sony's name on it, from what we've seen the games on the Vita load exceptionally fast, I've heard people say practically no loading times, I'd hazard a guess that may be part of the reason they are more expensive, but I'm sure they padded the price out a bit all the same to claw back some revenue.

Littleberu said:
How long does a phone's battery life last when you're playing more demanding games like Infinity Blade on it?

lowrider007 said:
People keep saying this but we don't even know what the transfer speeds are of the new proprietary memory is from Sony yet, it may not just be a regular SD card with Sony's name on it, from what we've seen the games on the Vita load exceptionally fast, I've heard people say practically no loading times, I'd hazard a guess that may be part of the reason they are more expensive, but I'm sure they padded the price out a bit all the same to claw back some revenue.

It probably isn't.

electroshockwave said:
How long does a phone's battery life last when you're playing more demanding games like Infinity Blade on it?

From my experience, on my Iphone 3G, probably 2-3 hours max.

I don't know about Ipad and Iphone 4, which would be a better comparison.

Emitan

Littleberu said:
From my experience, on my Iphone 3G, probably 2-3 hours max.

I don't know about Ipad and Iphone 4, which would be a better comparison.
iPad wouldn't be a better comparison because it's huge and has room for 2 giant batteries.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Littleberu said:
It's almost the same battery life as the 3DS, and both system's battery life are way too short compared to cellphones available right now.
Take your phone, turn it on and play a game or a video continuously. The battery will die in a few hours.

lowrider007

Yeah there's not a lot we can do on the battery front atm until the tech improves, although I beleive Nintendo could of squeezed a better battery in their system, you look at apple products and they use massive battery's (but you do pay a premium for that) and they are integrated into their products well, the battery isn't an after thought with apple, it's taken into consideration right from the start and plays a part in how they product is going to be designed, I'm no apple fanboy but I respect their design philosophy.

Pazuzu9 said:

im just trying to go into theories as to what hack prevention has to do with not having dedicated storage and for the cards being proprietary, but not as a sole reason. im not claiming to have any definitive knowledge as to what sony discussed. you're kidding yourself if you think i am.

speaking of which, for future reference, when i DO kid myself, do i just say something to myself i know isn't correct and then i go "just kidding, self!" and maybe punch my arm or something?

DoomXploder7 said:
well I guess 8-16 gb card and ps3/ps4 as "external harddrive" will be my choice for data management.

This is what I will have to do also.

That 74 title list from the press release has got to be incomplete, I mean it only list Sega as having only one game in development which happens to be "Super Monkey Ball", wasn't it confirmed not long ago that Sega said they had like 3-4 games in development? I mean Capcom has only one game listed and that's SFxTekken.

StuBurns said:
No OSX support? Fucking hell Sony, it'll 2011 bro.
has that been confirmed?

Princess Skittles said:
Take your phone, turn it on and play a game or a video continuously. The battery will die in a few hours.

this.

i save juice on my phone until it's lunch time, then i kick up the brightness and watch an ugly americans episode (and maybe some google reader too) for about an hour. phone loses around 40% of whatever i had saved up by the time my break is over. and even with i-devices nice batteries i still see most of my friends with their chargers handy even though all they do is text and facebook.

Sarcasm

Spinning Plates said:
For those that are disappointed by the battery life, have you ever considered getting an external battery pack?

This is the New Trent IMP1000 which has an 11,000 mAh capacity so would give you an extra 15-25 hours more gaming on the Vita.
You can use it with your smartphone, ipad, ipod touch, DS etc too. Surely gotta be worth a look if 3-5hrs will limit how you use it away from home.

New_Trent_iCruiser-299x300.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZBZ64Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I linked something similar to this on page 3.

guek

Banned
guit3457 said:
For the same price the 3DS deal is amazing, I don't find any reason to buy the Vita after seeing that.....

amz7s2.gif

oh I think you could think of a few reasons.

I for one wont be picking one up until it's <$200. Just can't afford the bread. I think the 3DS will keep me pretty happy until then, though I wont be picking up one of those until after the next E3.

guek said:
amz7s2.gif

oh I think you could think of a few reasons.

I for one wont be picking one up until it's <$200. Just can't afford the bread. I think the 3DS will keep me pretty happy until then, though I wont be picking up one of those until after the next E3.

Sure... it won't look as good as Uncharted, but the 3DS can deliver very pretty graphics too... in 3D.

rer1ex8c.gif

rer2mbsl.gif

Pazuzu9 said:
Indeed! I kid myself all the time. It's fun. :)

haha me too. "im going to get to leave work by 4pm today.... LOL SIKE LOLOL" and then i trip myself in front of a pretty girl.

oh wow i've never seen that battery pack before. the only one's i've seen were either insane expensive or they didn't have adequate connectors. (ie: mini/micro and no regular USB or it used USB1.1) $76 is STILL a little steep, but considering me and my gf always have our phones, 3DS, ipod, and soon Vita with us we'll probably need this handy. a car charger FOR the battery pack would seal the deal though.

Top Bottom