• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Vita Press release - games list, battery life ('3-5 hours'), memory card info

guek

Banned
Derrick01 said:
wait, ff 10 is coming to vita? Kickass. I should have stayed up last night to watch this conference.

no, cuz that was really the only noteworthy point of that conference

FoxSpirit

Aizu_Itsuko said:
Oh, I'm not surprised in the slightest and I'll have plenty of fun with these systems. I just want higher battery life as a standard for portable devices.

Or in other words, I want companies to invest as much as possible to make that a possibility in the near (mid?) future.
After reading of the personal chargers, I feel like I'm back to the GameGear era. Only much better :-D

Cmagus said:
so this has no memory built in and doesn't come with a small memory stick for stuff like game saves?
Only for "certain games", since normaly the gamedata is directly saved to the gamecard.
My guess would be stuff like "Little Big Planet" levels.

Cmagus said:
so this has no memory built in and doesn't come with a small memory stick for stuff like game saves?

Correct but you can still save onto the cartridges, like you can with 3DS games. There's also enough room for some DLC.

Cmagus

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Correct but you can still save onto the cartridges, like you can with 3DS games. There's also enough room for some DLC.

ah ok that's good I really have no use for a memory card other than that.

rezuth

iPhone has better battery life, awesome.

Princess Skittles said:
This thread should be linked in the OP (for this and 3DS stuff).

Proposal: Stop blaming Sony and Nintendo for their poor battery life
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420009

Oh please, 9hours standby music playback? My iPhone can do upwards of 40hours. Video is easily 9-10 hours.

Of course, this is to a bigger extent our battery technology but you can't just give them a free pass when their competition can do A LOT better.

fernoca said:
Destructoid confirmed that it won't allow for video-out and linked to their press release:
The question was answered like this:

Q: Do you have any plans to introduce a video output cable? Will PS Vita have HDMI output?

A: No, PS Vita does not have a video output feature.
To me, that is someone ignoring the first question and answering the second one.

Emitan

Pazuzu9 said:

To me, that is someone ignoring the first question and answering the second one.
What is he going to say? Wait for the revision? I'll gladly trade in my Vita for the revision with HDMI out, but I'm fine with it just being restricted to it's own screen right now.

Billychu said:
What is he going to say? Wait for the revision? I'll gladly trade in my Vita for the revision with HDMI out, but I'm fine with it just being restricted to it's own screen right now.
I'm not criticising the answer, I'm just saying that the answer is not a straight-up confirmation that is impossible to make the Vita do video output like Destructoid and fernoca are suggesting.

garath

This is cool. It's like going back in time. Saving games directly to the game media. It's cartridges again!

I am sorely disappointed in the memory card prices and the lack of any included internal storage. It'll definitely impact my desire to purchase immediately.

Acrylic7

Nonoriri said:
Memory card 4GB ¥2,200
Memory card 8GB ¥3,200
Memory card 16GB ¥5,500
Memory card 32GB ¥9,500

:<
lol, yeah right

Thats a black friday thing right there
or a Birthday present. No way in hell I'm paying out of my pocket for that.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
rezuth said:
Please back up your point.

Here's how!

Play Infinity Blade at max brightness from a full charge until a dead battery. Please report back on how long it lasted.

Ready?

GO!

Am I missing something? I searched all over and can't find if they officially announced the price of the games yet. Is that the last unknown for the system?

rezuth

Princess Skittles said:
Please back up your point.

Here's how!

Play Infinity Blade at max brightness from a full charge until a dead battery. Please report back on how long it lasted.

Ready?

GO!
Jesus, ignoring my posts about music and video playback much?

"After playing the game for about 30 mins, my iPhone 4's battery was drained by about 10% on about 2 thirds brightness, So that would be about 5 hours worth of battery life playing it constantly" Seems on par when it comes to gaming.

Busaiku

OldJadedGamer said:
Am I missing something? I searched all over and can't find if they officially announced the price of the games yet. Is that the last unknown for the system?
Yeah, pretty much.

Pazuzu9 said:

If it doesn't have the video output FEATURE then of course it won't have a cable. Sounds like both questions were answered

Zoramon089 said:
If it doesn't have the video output FEATURE then of course it won't have a cable. Sounds like both questions were answered
By feature do you mean in terms of the firmware? Because that can be updated in time. And the connector on the bottom of the Vita looks very similar to an Apple dock connector, which could have an adapter made for it very similar to the Digital AV Adapter that Apple offers for the iPad 2 and other iOS devices.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
rezuth said:

Oh please, 9hours standby music playback? My iPhone can do upwards of 40hours. Video is easily 9-10 hours.

Of course, this is to a bigger extent our battery technology but you can't just give them a free pass when their competition can do A LOT better.

do you even know what you're talking about? the vita is like 15 times as powerful as an iphone. it has about a hundred more extra features in it, too.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
rezuth said:
Freaking idiot
Hmm.

Nice edit. <3

rezuth said:
ignoring my posts about music and video playback much?
I didn't ignore them. People will be buying a Vita primarily (or solely) to play video games. If you're going to talk about how awesome the glorious iPhone's battery is, compare them at that level.

The truth is that all comparable portable hardware are dealing with similar battery levels.

rezuth

davepoobond said:
do you even know what you're talking about? the vita is like 15 times as powerful as an iphone. it has about a hundred more extra features in it, too.
Yes, I'm aware. Does it really need all those features when playing back music? Don't give them a free pass for being lazy.
Princess Skittles said:
Hmm.

Nice edit. <3

I didn't ignore them. People will be buying a Vita primarily (or solely) to play video games. If you're going to talk about how awesome the glorious iPhone's battery is, compare them at that level.

The truth is that all comparable portable hardware are dealing with similar battery levels.
Thanks, see unlike you I understand when I'm wrong ;)

I never talked about how glorious the iPhone battery is, quite the contrary. I'm talking about how shit the Vita battery is.

So we can only compare at select features and not the whole overall? Great idea ;)

I think it is total bullshit that my phone can playback audio about four times longer than this new device with a greater battery.

Durante

rezuth said:
While actually playing a game that makes full use of the hardware? I very much doubt it. And that's despite having a much smaller screen and weaker hardware.

theBishop

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
The difference is the art style. Nintendo games have certain art style that doesn't require graphics like RE.

But, Nintendo can push their own hardware just like Capcom or other third party devs. Just take a look at Super Mario Galaxy. That game looks way better than most Wii games, and it runs at 60fps.

Yeah, it's specifically Mario Galaxy that makes me doubt Revelation. Nintendo might be a hardware generation behind as a company right now, but they generally do a good job getting the most out of their box. That's why I can't believe Capcom is so far ahead of everyone, including Nintendo. And it's not just art style. There's no similar example of dynamic lighting on 3DS. Nothing comes close.

GQman2121

Banned
They're taking people to the cleaners with those card prices. I really don't understand the lack of built in storage. How are they expecting to sell PSN software?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I NEED SCISSORS said:

Hasn't it been confirmed that some games will require a memory card?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Plinko said:
Hasn't it been confirmed that some games will require a memory card?

Obviously something like LBP would, really. But I think most games with fairly conventional save data needs will probably allow you to use the game card.

dr_rus

phosphor112 said:
Why can't they use a SDXC instead again? =[...
Because they plan to sell Vita for $250 and need some way to make some money on it. So I hope everyone's happy that it's just $250 now.

I have no doubt they're probably making a healthy margin on those memory cards, but I'm guessing they're also using a higher class of flash - something more reliable in burst and access time. Comparing to the cheapest SDXC you can find on amazon doesn't really work, per se, because you end up comparing two different grades of chips.

H_Prestige is probably right - they're probably basically just empty data cards that would otherwise be used to store games themselves (since I think they still aren't using ROM, I vaguely recall?)

I think $99.99 for the 32GB card is probably a lock. This 3G unit is getting expensive, fast. -_-;;;

M3Freak

Banned
StuBurns said:
No OSX support? Fucking hell Sony, it's 2011 bro.

I don't use a Mac or a Windows PC. I use a Linux distribution (Fedora). Even though Sony uses GPL software left and right, they don't support Linux desktops for their apps, at all. II'm even more screwed.

I also don't like the battery life. WTF am I supposed to do if the bat is about to die and there's no outlet in sight? At least with the PSP I can pop in my second battery.

Ravage

gofreak said:
Obviously something like LBP would, really. But I think most games with fairly conventional save data needs will probably allow you to use the game card.

Oo i didn't think of that, LBP would definitely require some extra space.

Any word on the number of PSN accounts each Vita can support?

Emitan

M3Freak said:
I don't use a Mac or a Windows PC. I use a Linux distribution (Fedora). Even though Sony uses GPL software left and right, they don't support Linux desktops for their apps, at all. II'm even more screwed.

I also don't like the battery life. WTF am I supposed to do if the bat is about to die and there's no outlet in sight? At least with the PSP I can pop in my second battery.
I'm sure someone will write an app for it. In the end, you're just writing compatibility for a file system, right?

Reallink

Pazuzu9 said:
I'm not criticising the answer, I'm just saying that the answer is not a straight-up confirmation that is impossible to make the Vita do video output like Destructoid and fernoca are suggesting.

Sony apparently started some sort of poll/survey on the JP Playstation forums asking what features people most wanted in the Vita. An HDMI Out Dock was like number 1 or 2. I'm unsure if Sony created the list of options, or if it was all "write-ins" from the users.

Lucis

i just realized the fail of SCEJ, not sure if this was covered in the thread.

20&#26178;&#38291;980&#20870;&#12289;100&#26178;&#38291;4980&#20870;

won't buy 5x20 hour be cheaper than 1x100 hour?

LOLWUT

Top Bottom