• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Vita Press release - games list, battery life ('3-5 hours'), memory card info

Did you guys really expect a portable with near PS3 level graphics to have an 8 hour battery life? Come on people...the bigger news to me is the memory card pricing structure. Highway robbery if you ask me.

ElyrionX said:
3-5 hours on a fact sheet sounds like 2 hours in reality. LOL

Why is Sony so utterly clueless?
So they should have gone with shittier graphics for an extra hour or two of battery life? Good thing gamers don't design hardware.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, my Vita hype is officially dead.

I dunno. If there's some must have games revealed, I'll consider it. But I'll definitely be waiting till I can at least buy a used memory card... There's no way I'm giving Sony that much money for fucking 16GB.

guek

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
Sure... it won't look as good as Uncharted, but the 3DS can deliver very pretty graphics too... in 3D.

rer1ex8c.gif

rer2mbsl.gif

tru dat. I'm just saying every single one of us is big talk until there comes a game that we really desperately want to play. Then we fold like cheap tents. That goes for 3DS and Vita critics alike.

on an unrelated note, I wish we could get some more footage of the latest build of kid icarus. That thing looked shit hot.

ElyrionX said:
3-5 hours on a fact sheet sounds like 2 hours in reality. LOL

Why is Sony so utterly clueless?

Clueless about what? Lying on a fact sheet?

Did you want them to write 5 - 7 hrs because that "sounds like 3-5 hrs in reality".

Or do you mean clueless about how to develop a more energy-dense battery?

3-5 hours sounds about the same as my psp, iPhone 4 and 3ds. Longer would be better, of course, but why is anyone surprised by this? Seems to be standard for a portable device.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
This thread should be linked in the OP (for this and 3DS stuff).

Proposal: Stop blaming Sony and Nintendo for their poor battery life
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420009

Amir0x said:
I hope people begin to realize that this is the price we pay for systems this powerful on the go with the current level of battery technology.

Companies are fighting against a wall here. In order to maintain a portable size, you can only increase the size of the internal battery to a certain point. And that battery is only going to be a certain level of power as dictated by the limitations in all battery technology.

Unless people start proposing we halt all handheld advancing, we're literally shit out of luck - the piddling differences in power saving techniques will help somewhat in the short term, but it's a losing battle.

The ONLY way this is going to significantly change from here on out is if someone comes up with a feasible mass market battery solution that is better than what we have and smaller than what we have.

There are a couple in the pipeline that are reasonably promising, but it's still a ways off to be in mass market and there's nothing anyone can do until it comes.

People have to STOP blaming Nintendo and Sony at this point.

So...

1.) Do you propose we halt the progress of handhelds until battery technology catches up?
2.) Would you want a larger handheld if it meant including a bigger battery?
3.) Would you agree it's time to stop blaming Nintendo and Sony for the inevitable wall they're hitting with battery technology?

Discuss.

H_Prestige said:
So they should have gone with shittier graphics for an extra hour or two of battery life? Good thing gamers don't design hardware.

On a portable machine... yeah. That's the whole point of buying a portable is that it is portable. With a small battery that can't be replaced this is kind of bad.

Fredrik

Choose the higher figure when staring at the low battery life. It was the same with the 3DS, 3-5 hours. But I've easily played Zelda OoT for 5 hours between charges, probably even more. And I must've played DS games for 9, maybe 10, hours in a row when I've had my marathon SoulSilver sessions.
Remember that you probably won't need the Wifi/3G turned on all the time either, just turn it on when you need to use it and turn it off afterwards.

Bulzeeb

it took half a year for the 3DS to get some games I really want to play, it seems it'll be the same with Vita for me =/

Princess Skittles said:
This thread should be linked in the OP (for this and 3DS stuff).

Proposal: Stop blaming Sony and Nintendo for their poor battery life
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420009

And of course, the first post in that thread nailed it:

Lonely1 said:
4.)Battery should be user replaceable.
Because:

- You can buy an extra battery for double the life in the road.

- You can buy an extended battery if you don't mind the higher price/bulk.

- Years down the road, you can replace the old battery for a new one if the battery tech ever improves without having to buy a whole new other system.

- You can replace the old battery after it can no longer hold a charge worth a dam without having to contract an expensive tech service (or change the whole system ala iPad).

In conclusion. User replaceable batteries solves the problem for everyone. :)

- Game system aren't phones you replace every year or so.

Does the Vita have a video-out feature? Like an HDMI-out adapter cable or anything? I always expected it would, because previous PSP hardware does, but I've yet to see any evidence that it can or does.

OldJadedGamer said:
On a portable machine... yeah. That's the whole point of buying a portable is that it is portable. With a small battery that can't be replaced this is kind of bad.
The point of a portable games machines is to play good games. They could have made a sub DS level machine with a black and white 2 inch screen that could play games for 100 hours straight but I don't think people in the year 2011 would be interested in that.

What Sony and Nintendo are offering now represents a good balance. If 3 hours off the wall isn't enough, then high end portable electronics aren't for you. Stick to consoles.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Battery Life for what I'm gonna use it for is fine. A someone above me said too I usually go with the higher number at least with the DS stuff because I've always gotten that + little extra.

I posted in the $249 Vita thread about the memory card issue though. I said I was worried about this shit since E3, and yeah.... no card included and the cards aren't close to cheap. I knew we'd get fuck on this. I just had this gut feeling.

gcubed

H_Prestige said:
The point of a portable games machines is to play good games. They could have made a sub DS level machine with a black and white 2 inch screen that could play games for 100 hours straight but I don't think people in the year 2011 would be interested in that.

What Sony and Nintendo are offering now represents a good balance. If 3 hours off the wall isn't enough, then high end portable electronics aren't for you. Stick to consoles.

or you can play tic tac toe on your Kindle. No one is making a big deal about it because it was the same power life as the PSP, which we have known for quite a long time now.

Fredrik

Bulzeeb said:
it took half a year for the 3DS to get some games I really want to play, it seems it'll be the same with Vita for me =/
I bought the 3DS when OoT got released, I don't know the release date but Final Fantasy X remake will be my "Zelda" this time, that's my system seller.

Lupin the Wolf said:
Does the Vita have a video-out feature? Like an HDMI-out adapter cable or anything? I always expected it would, because previous PSP hardware does, but I've yet to see any evidence that it can or does.

Pretty sure it does not. Which is why we got over the shoulder camera view all E3.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
So I'm a bit confused here... in the press release, it says 'PS Vita at launch will be accompanied with 26 exciting software titles'... do they actually mean 26 titles on day one? Because I can't find any indications that they're talking 'launch period' or 'launch window'... or am I just to assume that?

gcubed said:
or you can play tic tac toe on your Kindle. No one is making a big deal about it because it was the same power life as the PSP, which we have known for quite a long time now.

You could put in a different battery into the PSP when the original was drained and keep playing.

gcubed

OldJadedGamer said:
You could put in a different battery into the PSP when the original was drained and keep playing.

yes, no defending that. Although i'm sure it would have made a big portable system even bigger to figure out a way to slide in a battery to not interfere with the rear touch pad, but at some point, whats a few extra mm of width for that use when its already huge.

You'll never be able to use a larger extended battery because of this, they just better hope it wasn't a waste of space to have that rear touchpad.

Kiriku said:
So I'm a bit confused here... in the press release, it says 'PS Vita at launch will be accompanied with 26 exciting software titles'... do they actually mean 26 titles on day one? Because I can't find any indications that they're talking 'launch period' or 'launch window'... or am I just to assume that?

26 games day 1, I believe.

Hero_of_the_Day_1985 said:
Pretty sure it does not. Which is why we got over the shoulder camera view all E3.

That made sense to me, but I also thought they might be doing that to demonstrate a couple other things:
1) how brilliant the screen is
2) how the user interaction affects the game.

Kind of like how Wii trailers will often show actors doing specific gestures with the Wii Remote and then showing the results in the game.

Did they specifically come out and say it cannot do video-out? Not having a video cable among launch accessories is not a good sign....

theBishop

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
Sure... it won't look as good as Uncharted, but the 3DS can deliver very pretty graphics too... in 3D.

What is the deal with this game anyway? Is this just like a meticulously constructed corridor for the sake of animated giffers? It looks so much better than every other 3DS game, and vastly better than the best Nintendo has shown. Capcom has a history of better-than-average technology, but it's not like they're Crytek or something.

I'm not trying to fud, but I can't believe the system can do this, while Nintendo struggles to compete with the best (graphically speaking) on PSP.

muu

Isn't it partially in the right to blame Sony for poor battery life? I thought the halt in battery tech progress was partly due to rampant cases of exploding Sony batteries forcing more stringent safety measures.

Personally, long as I have my PowerRock from monoprice (7800mA for 50 bucks or so) I got enough juice for pretty much everything. Not that 3hrs isn't long enough for just about every situation other than a longass plane trip (in which case I'm reading anyway).

Lupin the Wolf said:
That made sense to me, but I also thought they might be doing that to demonstrate a couple other things:

Kind of like how Wii trailers will often show actors doing specific gestures with the Wii Remote and then showing the results in the game.

Did they specifically come out and say it cannot do video-out? Not having a video cable among launch accessories is not a good sign....
I'm sure it was to demonstrate exactly those two points, particularly the interaction. I have no doubt it could be made to do video out.

Cipherr

OldJadedGamer said:
And of course, the first post in that thread nailed it:

Really thats the only blunder. A bit of a surprise really that they went that route.

muu said:
Isn't it partially in the right to blame Sony for poor battery life?

No.

All forms of mobile tech are struggling with battery life right now. All of them sans the huge tablets which can just stick a massive 1000000000 mAh battery in there for the long haul. But even then your getting..what.... 10 hours? Pfft.

my Eee PC get's 5 hours on a good day, and i never EVER use it from full charge to dead in one sitting. i'll watch a lot of game trailers, do my google reader stuff, check all my innernets, play a steam game or two (with what is capable of running on my machine), and most of those require Optimus to switch over to my nvidia card. there are always means of charging my devices all around me all the time. in any situation where there's not, then obviously gaming or boredom isn't going to be my primary concern.

all im hearing people complain about is "ughhh so i won't be able to go 5 days without charging it from quick play sessions here and there during those 5 days, like i currently do with my 3DS. i will instead have to charge it every 3 days while engaging in those same short play sessions. OMG SO INCONVENIENT AND NOT PORTABLE!!!"

we'll get a good "my report on using Vita for a day" type post or two around the time it launches. i look forward to seeing what they report, but the reality is that they will never mirror my personal style of using the device. they'll switch things on an off, use all the different apps, play a handful of different games, mess with the brightness, watch videos, use 3G, use Wifi, and all kinds of other things, then report how long the battery lasted. i won't be able to do the math to figure out how much battery im going to use by removing most of those activities they engaged in. it would be NICE though if they were to simply use the PSV in the same way they would with a PSP or 3DS in an average day, and resist playing with all the bells and whistles. won't happen though.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Cheech said:
You must be new to the Sony hype machine. The Uncharted 3 OT will bring GAF to its knees.
Oh I'm well aware of that, but I've never been to a gif's rap battle before.

famousmortimer said:
3-5 hours sounds about the same as my psp, iPhone 4 and 3ds. Longer would be better, of course, but why is anyone surprised by this? Seems to be standard for a portable device.
Oh, I'm not surprised in the slightest and I'll have plenty of fun with these systems. I just want higher battery life as a standard for portable devices.

Or in other words, I want companies to invest as much as possible to make that a possibility in the near (mid?) future.

Pazuzu9 said:
I'm sure it was to demonstrate exactly those two points, particularly the interaction. I have no doubt it could be made to do video out.

So, basically, we don't know anything about such a feature. I wouldn't be too surprised if they don't enable it immediately because they want to sell the PS3 as well as the Vita, and not push the Vita as a "home console and handheld all-in-one." Although that could have been a strong selling point for the handheld with its very competent graphics hardware, they really need to keep pushing their PS3 numbers up to keep people (read:investors) happy.

Lupin the Wolf said:
So, basically, we don't know anything about such a feature. I wouldn't be too surprised if they don't enable it immediately because they want to sell the PS3 as well as the Vita, and not push the Vita as a "home console and handheld all-in-one." Although that could have been a strong selling point for the handheld with its very competent graphics hardware, they really need to keep pushing their PS3 numbers up to keep people (read:investors) happy.
Indeed, and they might also want to push the remote-play/Wii U style of interaction with a TV.

Ahhh good old Sony, where every device needs its own proprietary memory format. I thought they made a statement awhile back that they were going to stop this and support industry standard memory sticks and such (not PS Vita related just in general).

theBishop said:
What is the deal with this game anyway? Is this just like a meticulously constructed corridor for the sake of animated giffers? It looks so much better than every other 3DS game, and vastly better than the best Nintendo has shown. Capcom has a history of better-than-average technology, but it's not like they're Crytek or something.

I'm not trying to fud, but I can't believe the system can do this, while Nintendo struggles to compete with the best (graphically speaking) on PSP.

The difference is the art style. Nintendo games have certain art style that doesn't require graphics like RE.

But, Nintendo can push their own hardware just like Capcom or other third party devs. Just take a look at Super Mario Galaxy. That game looks way better than most Wii games, and it runs at 60fps.

Lupin the Wolf said:

How can you tell how good an OLED screen looks on your LCD monitor? It doesn't compute.

Pazuzu9 said:
Indeed, and they might also want to push the remote-play/Wii U style of interaction with a TV.

Is there any reason, though, why the Vita couldn't BE a WiiU Jr.? For example, the video produced through an output cable could imitate what the WiiU might produce on the TV set, while the PSVita's built-in screen could imitate the WiiU controller display. That's assuming, of course, that it has enough horsepower to display both things (with a major hit in graphical quality, of course and is wired in such a way that it could. A PS3-Vita combo solution would be cleaner, seeing that you could remove any unsightly and awkward cords, but it might be possible with the Vita alone. In theory.

Fernando: Not quite, but you can tell it certainly films better than the hundreds of YouTube videos of people filiming their own PSP and 3/DS screens.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Shin Johnpv said:
Ahhh good old Sony, where every device needs its own proprietary memory format. I thought they made a statement awhile back that they were going to stop this and support industry standard memory sticks and such (not PS Vita related just in general).

When people started jabbing all sorts of devices and then recombobulated generic USB sticks in to fuck the PS3 and using giant hard-drives to store iso's of every game released to boot up, this viewpoint was probably quickly pissed on and drowned alone in a windowless tank of shame and fury.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Fredrik said:
I almost feel sorry for some of the developers, at least half of those games are sent out to die :/
Unlike every other launch in history though - all of the 26 games are also available for download.

I wonder if the Vita will have the same problem that the PSP had where if you needed a firmware update that was on the disc it wouldn't let you do it unless you had a certain amount of battery life.

If you were lower on battery and couldn't get to a plug, it would prevent you from playing the game. This happened to me once on a plane and I was super pissed.

edit: have the price of first and third party Vita games been officially announced yet?

Jinfash said:
Oh I'm well aware of that, but I've never been to a gif's rap battle before.

Install adblock then when you see a gif, just tell adblock to block it. Since many posters use the same source for the gif, you'll just see an empty post. This is how I got through killzone2.gif a while back.

Lupin the Wolf said:
Is there any reason, though, why the Vita couldn't BE a WiiU Jr.? For example, the video produced through an output cable could imitate what the WiiU might produce on the TV set, while the PSVita's built-in screen could imitate the WiiU controller display. That's assuming, of course, that it has enough horsepower to display both things (with a major hit in graphical quality, of course and is wired in such a way that it could. A PS3-Vita combo solution would be cleaner, seeing that you could remove any unsightly and awkward cords, but it might be possible with the Vita alone. In theory.
The Vita-only solution would not replicate the Wii U experience due to the lack of horsepower and the cable getting in the way. Vita + PS3 via Remote Play would probably be very laggy. The Wii U's wireless connection between controller and console is very impressive in terms of response. I don't think Vita + PS3 could do this.

Curufinwe

OldJadedGamer said:
I wonder if the Vita will have the same problem that the PSP had where if you needed a firmware update that was on the disc it wouldn't let you do it unless you had a certain amount of battery life.

If you were lower on battery and couldn't get to a plug, it would prevent you from playing the game. This happened to me once on a plane and I was super pissed.

Not as pissed as you would have been if the battery ran out halfway thru the update and turned your PSP into a brick.

fernoca

Lupin the Wolf said:
Destructoid confirmed that it won't allow for video-out and linked to their press release:

• PSP titles, minis and PSone classics will be playable via the PlayStation Store. There are no "plans to make PS Vita compatible with PS3 or PS2 titles at this point."
  • Internal memory? "PS Vita is equipped with the storage media slot so that users can choose what memory capacity they want to utilize depending on their use."
  • Will we have to rebuy digital versions of UMD-based games we already own? "We will consider every possibility for support on bought UMD games but we have nothing to comment at this point in time."
  • No video output feature
  • The battery will be embedded because of the rear touch pad (and PSP piracy)

Fernando Rocker said:
The difference is the art style. Nintendo games have certain art style that doesn't require graphics like RE.

But, Nintendo can push their own hardware just like Capcom or other third party devs. Just take a look at Super Mario Galaxy. That game looks way better than most Wii games, and it runs at 60fps.

And look at Kid Icarus for a technically good looking game from Nintendo on the 3DS. It's not RE good but it's up there

Top Bottom