• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Vita Press release - games list, battery life ('3-5 hours'), memory card info

Jarmel

Banned
What this conference has taught me is that there is no reason on earth for me to get the 3G version and also to download my games.

Thank you Sony for saving me money.

gcubed

madmaxx350 said:
Kotaku has a liveblog, only one I could find, Wada has about 20 more mins, Yoshida is next at aroung 10:10 PM EDT

its 10:11

edit, well 10:14, better then any sony talk in history for being on time. 25 minutes of the keynote appear to be taken up by this intro though

Emitan

whitehawk said:
I thought 3-5 hours was pretty good. That's pretty much the same as the PSP at launch, isn't it?
I would guess that's what my PSP-1000 gets. 3 with max brightness and volume and 5 with low brightness and muted.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Zoramon089 said:
I'm sure they wouldn't need a higher read speed than, say a 1080p video, which you can play off even the cheapest of SD cards.
1080P BluRay is specced to require 72Mbpp/s (IIRC).
There are Class 6 SD cards from major brands (Kingston) out there that peak at 10MB/sec, which would just "barely" make it qualify, and that's supposed to be mid-to-upper tier SD performance class.
Cheapest SD cards would include Class 2 and no-name fake/brands that would perform noticeably worse.

The other part is that 10MB/sec was considered "poor" in 2006 when PS3 launched with that as speed of its BluRay drive. Not to mention that 2year old PSPGo has Flash memory that Reads@20MB/sec and writes@12MB/sec.

Anyway in the end it's like I said earlier - the min-spec for writeable cards will be dictated by the spec of Read-Only Gamecards, remember that all games are downloadable.

Fafalada said:
1080P BluRay is specced to require 72Mbpp/s (IIRC).
There are Class 6 SD cards from major brands (Kingston) out there that peak at 10MB/sec, which would just "barely" make it qualify, and that's supposed to be mid-to-upper tier SD performance class.
Cheapest SD cards would include Class 2 and no-name fake/brands that would perform noticeably worse.

The other part is that 10MB/sec was considered "poor" in 2006 when PS3 launched with that as speed of its BluRay drive. Not to mention that 2year old PSPGo has Flash memory that Reads@20MB/sec and writes@12MB/sec.

Anyway in the end it's like I said earlier - the min-spec for writeable cards will be dictated by the spec of Read-Only Gamecards, remember that all games are downloadable.

Mb = MB in your post, right?

gcubed said:
its 10:11

edit, well 10:14, better then any sony talk in history for being on time. 25 minutes of the keynote appear to be taken up by this intro though
So, is there a link to the liveblog for Yoshida's talk? All I see at Kotaku is Wada's talk.

Edit: nvm, I'm blind. I found it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
lowrider007 said:
"may require the use of separately sold memory card for saving game’s saved data"

Actual game saves should be fine.

Wouldn't an "actual game save" be classified under a "game's saved data?" I'm not following your line of thought here.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Plinko said:
Wouldn't an "actual game save" be classified under a "game's saved data?" I'm not following your line of thought here.

It could mean DLC, it could mean game saves, (or both for that matter) we're just going to have to wait, personally I beleive that we're be fine for regular game saves at least, every game cart is supposed to have between 5-10 percent reserved for game save data, I'm guessing that they have put that line in the PDF to cover themselves maybe for games that require bigger downloadable game content or games like mod nation racers where you can create your own tracks etc.

bangai-o

Banned
lowrider007 said:
The developers of Resistance Burning Skies said,

“There are no loading screens for Resistance on PS Vita, it’s all seamless with no filler.”

"They explained that this is due to the fast reading NVG cards and the 512 MB RAM."
ugh. There is a Vita Rsistance? Sony needs to learn how to let franchises die.

Sushen

George Claw M.D. said:
There seems to be a lot of moaning over the price of the memory cards. Are the performance specs available for those cards? Prices on memory cards vary greatly, depending on format and performance. A half-price memory card is worthless if it can't keep up with the games.

For comparison, a Sandisk 8GB Extreme Compact Flash card is sold by Amazon for over $53, currently, with 3rd parties going as low as $40. That's twice as expensive as the 8GB Sony card, but the Sandisk has 60MBps write speeds. There is also a Kingston 8GB CF card, that sells for only $25, but has much worse performance. How fast are the Sony cards?

Performance will tell us if these cards are actually overpriced, or not.

It sounds like people expect these cards to be in-line with shitty performing cards that they buy for compact cameras and cell phones. Those cards would NOT be viable for use in the Vita.
Why compare against compact flash??? At Amazon, Sandisk 8GB Extreme SDHC class 10 card is less than $27. Your comparison is misleading.

Seik

Banned
LOL at people whining about battery life, I mean, the system is quite powerful for its size, it only make sense.

It's a HANDHELD, if you want a battery that last 10 hours, you'll need a bigger battery, resulting in a bigger handheld, bigger means 'less portable' and that specific product's way of being slick is one of the selling points. Or maybe we'll get a third party extra battery that you can hook behind the Vita that looks like that big fucking tumor that was hanging behind my Game Gear back then (but this one was official from SEGA...god it was horrible).

I think 3-5 hours is perfectly reasonable, anyway there is just so many way to charge it up nowadays. Unless you're in a LOOONG travel in a car/train/plane with no power outlet, USB port or lighter output.

Sushen said:
Why compare against compact flash??? At Amazon, Sandisk 8GB Extreme SDHC class 10 card is less than $27. Your comparison is misleading.
I did say it depended on FORMAT and performance. Besides, aside from size, there's no information available that suggests that the Sony cards are even SDHC cards. And the CF flash card I mentioned is twice as fast as the SDHC card you mentioned. Again, double the speed, double the price. Performance-based-price was my point, which is why I say card performance will determine if the Sony cards are overpriced or not. What's misleading about that?

Also, even if the Sony card was exactly the same card that you mentioned, that would mean Sony's pricing is in-line with current market prices for a Class 10 SDHC card, and not grossly overpriced, as some people are prematurely suggesting. Your argument only corroborates my own.

ReaperXL7

salromano said:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/017/G001762/20110915033/

4Gamer's report on the keynote. Has some pictures and a couple small clips.

Wait, what? I knew it was shown in a small clip awhile back, but had Killzone ever been offically announced?

It looks great from what I could tell, I have a feeling that it's going to be up to western dev teams to show off what Vita can do graphically. I love Japanese games, but they are not exactly pushing the graphics tech these days.

HooYaH

ReaperXL07 said:
Wait, what? I knew it was shown in a small clip awhile back, but had Killzone ever been offically announced?

It looks great from what I could tell, I have a feeling that it's going to be up to western dev teams to show off what Vita can do graphically. I love Japanese games, but they are not exactly pushing the graphics tech these days.

Killzone 3 through Remote Play, not the Killzone Vita.

syoaran said:
While I'm sure some more technically minded Gaf'er can properly educate us on this, I always believed that while battery size is something we can't really change, battery consumption is the key. If you look at Intel for example, they are always striving for lower consumption (I think they announced recently they could power the next wave of low end processors by solar power alone).

So I think with the induction of high end graphics on the iOS devices, Sony and Nintendo were forced to push harder on that front to compete, which can count on a notably shorter length of battery life. It doesn't matter that an iPhone 4 care barely put out 2hrs while playing Chaos Rings, for example.
You're right that reducing power usage is important, and it's something that all portable part makers are putting a huge amount of effort into doing, but all you need to do is look at the declining battery lives of handhelds over the past decade to be able to see that while that is important, it's not keeping up with the increases in usage that the greater power of the devices requires. Between the screens, wi-fi, cellphone access for devices with that, etc, there are a lot of drains on those batteries. It's hard to see how they avoid having the current decline continue, really, unless there are some major battery-tech advances soon. The problem with that is, battery tech doesn't improve by leaps and bounds like processors do. Current handhelds just barely manage to have decent battery lives, but what about next generation, much less later?

Barrett2

lowrider007 said:

“There are no loading screens for Resistance on PS Vita, it’s all seamless with no filler.”

"They explained that this is due to the fast reading NVG cards and the 512 MB RAM."

That's rad.

Sushen

George Claw M.D. said:
I did say it depended on FORMAT and performance. Besides, aside from size, there's no information available that suggests that the Sony cards are even SDHC cards. And the CF flash card I mentioned is twice as fast as the SDHC card you mentioned. Again, double the speed, double the price. Performance-based-price was my point, which is why I say card performance will determine if the Sony cards are overpriced or not. What's misleading about that?

Also, even if the Sony card was exactly the same card that you mentioned, that would mean Sony's pricing is in-line with current market prices for a Class 10 SDHC card, and not grossly overpriced, as some people are prematurely suggesting. Your argument only corroborates my own.
There is no way CF is the format for vita. I think I read from some where it's SD any way. Extreme SDHC which has 30MB speed that you claimed Extreme CF has. $27 isn't the same as $40 (3200yen) for sony's, which is not confirmed class 10.

gundamkyoukai said:
If Remote Play works good it would be so awesome.

It won't, don't get your hopes up. The PSP - PS3 Remote Play is horribly laggy (and the PS3 to Vita Remote Play will no doubt be worse, since the video that's being streamed is 4X the PSP resolution)

Very impressive! I suspect that 3DS and Vita games will feature similar loading times overall. (Vita's main RAM is slower than the 3DS, but the large amount available allows for a lot of data to be cached. So I suspect that initial loading times for Vita games will be slower than 3DS, but will be similar after that big initial load)

Graphics Horse said:
How strange... I'm not sure I trust their own guide! There still seem to be two slight lumps on the top for the card covers, and where number 5 is used to be the Sim card slot, or at least that was the theory. I think that might still actually be the case and they messed up with the labeling here.

Moving the memory card to the bottom is going to solve a lot of "which slot does the game go in?" problems, so I imagine that's what they did.

That being said..."Mike"? Really? I'm just going to assume its some sort of holographic annoying Vita tutorial character. :p

Sushen said:
There is no way CF is the format for vita. I think I read from some where it's SD any way. Extreme SDHC which has 30MB speed that you claimed Extreme CF has. $27 isn't the same as $40 (3200yen) for sony's, which is not confirmed class 10.
I never suggested Vita would use CF. It was just an arbitrary memory card format that I chose, to compare prices between cards with the same memory capacity, but different performance. Notice, I compared an 8GB CF to another 8GB CF, and pointed out the large price difference due to performance. I could have compared prices between a Class 10 SDHC card to a Class 2, and the point would be the same. Seems like you are not understanding the point of my argument.

Also, read my post, again. That CF card is a 60MBps card, not 30MBps. That's twice as fast as the cheaper SDHC card. Though, I don't like comparing between different formats, anyway, because it adds another variable which affects the price.

As for the price of a Class 10 SDHC, again, we don't know for sure if Sony is even using the SD format. You claim to have read it, so it would be nice if you could provide a source, since no one else seems to have confirmed that, in this thread. But, even if it is a Class 10 SDHC, U.S. pricing would not likely be a direct exchange rate match. It almost never is. It could be higher or lower. Console game related items tend to be more expensive in Japan, then they are in the U.S.. So, 3200yen could just as easily end up being $30-$35 in the U.S., which, again, would not be grossly overpriced, especially considering it's proprietary hardware.

But, once again, the most important point of my argument, is that PERFORMANCE will tell us how fairly-priced these cards are. If they end up being 10MBps cards, then they are a rip-off. If they end up being 90MBps cards, they'd be a great value.

Fafalada said:
"B" - bytes, "b" - bits. Can be a bit confusing I know - but it's apparently the official definition :/

Nono, I understand. So, I did some research. So the cheapest SD Cards, class 2 have a speed of 2MB/s or 16Mb/s. Vita's screen resolution is 960x544 which, because of the weird dimensions, puts it somewhere slightly below 720p. Anyway, for good 720p video I've read it requires 3Mb/s for 30fps, so 6Mb/s as an upper limit for 60fps. So Vita games could be run from an SD card with relative ease...

BTW, I got the 720p bitrate from here. Don't know how accurate it is
http://blog.radvision.com/videooverenterprise/2008/06/24/high-definition-is-next-do-you-know-how-much-bandwidth-you-have/

Nuclear Muffin said:
It won't, don't get your hopes up. The PSP - PS3 Remote Play is horribly laggy (and the PS3 to Vita Remote Play will no doubt be worse, since the video that's being streamed is 4X the PSP resolution)

Very impressive! I suspect that 3DS and Vita games will feature similar loading times overall. (Vita's main RAM is slower than the 3DS, but the large amount available allows for a lot of data to be cached. So I suspect that initial loading times for Vita games will be slower than 3DS, but will be similar after that big initial load)

Wasn't it just shown to work with KZ3? I guess we can't really see how laggy it is but how would you know it is going to be worse when Vita is like so much close to PS3 in terms of power than PSP.

Top Bottom