• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Vita Press release - games list, battery life ('3-5 hours'), memory card info

Oppo

Regarding Remote Play: we really can't speculate that much about it's capabilities, since the PSP version was working with little horsepower, 802.11b bandwidth, and was the initial version. I expect Vita's Remote capabilities will be much, much more robust.

|ync

Zoramon089 said:
Nono, I understand. So, I did some research. So the cheapest SD Cards, class 2 have a speed of 2MB/s or 16Mb/s. Vita's screen resolution is 960x544 which, because of the weird dimensions, puts it somewhere slightly below 720p. Anyway, for good 720p video I've read it requires 3Mb/s for 30fps, so 6Mb/s as an upper limit for 60fps. So Vita games could be run from an SD card with relative ease...

BTW, I got the 720p bitrate from here. Don't know how accurate it is
http://blog.radvision.com/videooverenterprise/2008/06/24/high-definition-is-next-do-you-know-how-much-bandwidth-you-have/

I don't really understand why you equate being able to handle a video stream to being able to run a game. Obviously the PS3 is capable of running a 1080P video stream off a bluray but I think we can all agree that there are quite a few games with pretty bad load times running off a bluray.

Number45

PortTwo said:
Regarding Remote Play: we really can't speculate that much about it's capabilities, since the PSP version was working with little horsepower, 802.11b bandwidth, and was the initial version. I expect Vita's Remote capabilities will be much, much more robust.
It's still only going to have 802.11b if the PS3 is hooked up via wireless. :(

Kambing

Massa said:
According to Yoshida the Vita will have an external battery option.

Video at IGN.

Yeah, i will definitely be buying the attachment along with a Vita instead of waiting for a revision. Thanks for posting

Luigiv

Massa said:
According to Yoshida the Vita will have an external battery option.

Video at IGN.
With the back touchpad, this sounds like it'd be quite the cumbersome addition. It's probably going to have to dangle from the bottom of the unit.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Luigiv said:
With the back touchpad, this sounds like it'd be quite the cumbersome addition. It's probably going to have to dangle from the bottom of the unit.

Could always just add it to the side.
With a third analog stick.

Realistically I think its probably an official Sony branded USB AA battery powered external battery pack or something of that nature.

Kambing said:
Yeah, i will definitely be buying the attachment along with a Vita instead of waiting for a revision. Thanks for posting
somehow I got this feeling it's gonna be really expensive, I imagine it'll attach to the back of Vita covering the rear pad, and to compensate, the external battery will have it's own rear pad to use, and that could ad up the cost.

I'm guessing it will look like the Monster Hunter PSP with two large grips on each end, leaving the middle exposed for the back touch pad.

trying to find a good picture of it

edit:

t2e4I.jpg

Kambing

Callibretto said:
somehow I got this feeling it's gonna be really expensive, I imagine it'll attach to the back of Vita covering the rear pad, and to compensate, the external battery will have it's own rear pad to use, and that could ad up the cost.

lol, that would indeed suck.

but i don't think this will be more than $60 which would be fine by me. i am hoping it can double the life. i also do think they will find a way around the track pad, just have to believeee

This is the external battery isn't it?

Hl1jR.jpg

Sony call it the "Portable Charger", it was announced along with the other Vita accessories but has "TBA Spring 2012" date attached to it.

Gouda Jouji said:
This is the external battery isn't it?

Hl1jR.jpg

Sony call it the "Portable Charger", it was announced along with the other Vita accessories but has "TBA Spring 2012" date attached to it.
Interesting, but aren't there universal devices that do this already?

Battery life predictably sucks, but like most others, I'll be at home playing mostly with the AC adapter attached, so it's not an issue for me. Battery tech does need a breakthrough, though. It seems like we've plateaued on this years ago and haven't made any upward progress since.

Memory sticks on the other hand will be a problem if they're as ridiculously priced in America as they are in Japan. I understand Sony is doing consumers a favor by selling the Vita at a loss, but there's a line to be crossed with how far they can go with their pricing. I'll probably be buying most of my games physically, so I only hope most of the games I buy can save data on the cartridge itself.

All in all, it's a great time for portable gaming right now with the Vita and 3DS. Dedicated gaming handhelds can still be viable in this economic climate, they just need to be shown the proper respect by developers and showcase great production values.

Ydahs

Any idea on the type of OLED the Vita is using? All it says in the press release is OLED.

I doubt it'll use Super AMOLED Plus (I think it's only on Samsung phones at the moment) but I hope it's at least uses Super AMOLED. Regular AMOLED is still good, but it's too reflective in the sun.

darkwing

Ydahs said:
Any idea on the type of OLED the Vita is using? All it says in the press release is OLED.

I doubt it'll use Super AMOLED Plus (I think it's only on Samsung phones at the moment) but I hope it's at least uses Super AMOLED. Regular AMOLED is still good, but it's too reflective in the sun.
it's Sony's OLED tech

Ydahs said:
Eh, slightly disappointing, but I guess it makes sense considering Samsung is a competitor.

oled-info.com says the Vita is using only AMOLED.

250€

Smartphones with less features and power cost as much as 5-6-700€ .

Ydahs said:
Eh, slightly disappointing, but I guess it makes sense considering Samsung is a competitor.

Oled.info just says they're using an amoled display, meaning an active matrix oled screen. It has nothing to do with the marketing terms samsung uses for their displays, such as super amoled plus. That's just a marketing stunt used for their amoled screens in order to distance them from the old ones that were just called amoled. They're all amoled screens.

Ydahs

MesserWolf said:
250€

Smartphones with less features and power cost as much as 5-6-700€ .
Yeah, price is undoubtedly a factor though a SAMOLED would have been nice (brighter, more energy efficient and better in the sun). Maybe it'll have a better screen in a revision.
°°ToMmY°° said:
Oled.info just says they're using an amoled display, meaning an active matrix oled screen. It has nothing to do with the marketing terms samsung uses for their displays, such as super amoled plus. That's just a marketing stunt used for their amoled screens in order to distance them from the old ones that were just called amoled. They're all amoled screens.
SAMOLED+ might be a marketing term, but it's still the best mobile OLED screen on the market today. Would have been nice to have a screen that's equivalent to my SG2's screen, but anything less is still good, considering the price of this thing.

Ydahs said:
Yeah, price is undoubtedly a factor though a SAMOLED would have been nice (brighter, more energy efficient and better in the sun). Maybe it'll have a better screen in a revision.

SAMOLED+ might be a marketing term, but it's still the best mobile OLED screen on the market today. Would have been nice to have a screen that's equivalent to my SG2's screen, but anything less is still good, considering the price of this thing.
What i'm saying is we don't know what oled screen vita is using. Just the fact they're saying it's amoled doesn't mean it's the screen samsung was using two years ago on their smartphones. It just means they're using an active matrix oled display.

I think ill probably wait for the hardware revision this time.

I think its probably smart of sony to get some extra cash out of the hardcore early adopters but I just know a vita with better battery life and cheaper memory cards or internal memory is only a year r 2 off.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Zoramon089 said:
Anyway, for good 720p video I've read it requires 3Mb/s for 30fps
At that bandwith you might as well just use SDTV - the 720P quality will be too poor for resolution to give any real benefit.

Anyway - games aren't video-players, they don't use bandwith in the same manner. A simple question you can ask for game-loading is "how long would it take to fill up 512MB" and work from there on what would be a good read-speed.

funkystudent said:

I think its probably smart of sony to get some extra cash out of the hardcore early adopters but I just know a vita with better battery life and cheaper memory cards or internal memory is only a year r 2 off.

no doubt revision will come, but I don't think it's a mere one years off, I think 2 years at the fastest, how many years between psp 1000 and 2000?

The addition of an external battery might make me change my mind on holding out on the Vita. Just waiting for the pricing for the peripheral and how many extra hours come from it

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
funkystudent said:

I think at least 2 years...

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Callibretto said:
no doubt revision will come, but I don't think it's a mere one years off, I think 2 years at the fastest, how many years between psp 1000 and 2000?

2 years later

mocoworm

funkystudent said:
I think ill probably wait for the hardware revision this time. I think its probably smart of sony to get some extra cash out of the hardcore early adopters but I just know a vita with better battery life and cheaper memory cards or internal memory is only a year r 2 off.

Don't worry about it. It's just a battery pack. Would a hardware revision REALLY make you wait ? Every product gets a hardware revision (360slim, PS3slim, PSP2000 PS2slim). You know it's coming so why even think about it.

Should I not have bought my 360 at launch because I knew a slim version would drop years later ?

To miss out on 2 years of VITA gaming because a version with a larger battery is coming out years down the line, when you could just get the battery pack on day 1 if you so need it, is pathetic. You are simply looking for excuses not to buy.

Ydahs

CorrisD said:
Seeing as I missed it, does the Vita not come with any onboard storage what so ever?
It has to come with some storage for firmware updates and inbuilt app data, but there's no onboard storage accessible to the user.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Thought this was threadworthy, and didn't see it posted in the Vita TGS megathread.

While the hardware box is fairly appalling, for software they seem to be taking a page of the Xbox book in claiming a colour - Blue.

I think this will work well for them, as their most successful period was blue (PS2) and it will distance from the red period of fail (early PS3). It'll be interesting to see if this will translate over to home consoles.

vitaaccecolor-2011-09-16-1.jpg

vitaaccecolor-2011-09-16-3.jpg

vitaaccecolor-2011-09-16-4.jpg

More pics:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/16/visualized-ps-vita-in-eight-unlikely-colors-mockup-game-cards/

EDIT: Haha, I fail in making threads.

I hope that like the PS3, the Jap Vita will have English, saw the Uncharted trailer in Japanese and it's terrible, but I really doubt they would put only one language on the cartridges (trying to convince myself lol) right?!

Jarmel

Banned
Why do we need so many pictures of colors we won't see for atleast multiple years if ever. The Japanese themselves probably aren't going to be seeing half of these colors for half a year.

gcubed

Ydahs said:

The only difference between Samsung amoled and super amoled plus is the lack of pentile. This screen doesn't use a pentile display and is already superior to the one you have in your phone due to its resolution

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Callibretto said:
vitaaccecolor-2011-09-16-1.jpg

awesome gravity daze cover, hope they don't mess it up for US cover.
I'm late to this, but now we can finally put concerns about whether this is coming to retail or not to rest.

gogogow

gcubed said:
The only difference between Samsung amoled and super amoled plus is the lack of pentile. This screen doesn't use a pentile display and is already superior to the one you have in your phone due to its resolution
Samsung is leading with AMOLED technology. They already have a 5.3 inch AMOLED panel with a resolution of 1280x800, which will be used in their new Samsung Galaxy Note device, released before the end of 2011.

And of course these phones are more expensive than the Vita, because they actually make a profit unlike Sony which is selling it at a loss or breakeven.

FoxSpirit

Ydahs said:

Errrr, no, just no. Super-AMOLED-plus is just marketing speak. The technology is called AMOLED and the rest is marketing phrases to specify certain variations from certain manufacturers.

Sony actually makes stuff like:
http://www.oled-info.com/sony-pvm-2551md
http://www.oled-info.com/sony-bvm-f250f170
Overview: http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-monitors/cat-oledmonitors/

Actually Sony's OLEDs are likely better than Samsung. Colour accuracy on SGS-II, banding, consistent white point?? Ahem, Samsung, ahem... Sony took the high route and the technology fallout for the Vita screen from those is reportedly impressive.

Top Bottom